Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

swordfish duelist posted:

I have over ten kills with the spotting flare already and I have zero shame about it. I love playing as a scout with a M95 or K98 infantry rifle.

Pop a flare moving in, throw some gas at any little icons on the minimap and keep on cappin'

What's really fun is using spotting flares when you have a train/dreadnought up, since it marks them for the main guns. Fire a flare at a nice spot that the other team is holed up in and wait for the fireworks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

deadwing posted:

Seriously though, spotting flare + bayonet charge is the most hilarious poo poo. Running right into someone as they round a corner never gets old

Between horsiemans and bayo charge I posit this is the best battlewar yet

If one is not having ridiculous amounts of fun every time they log on, I posit they are taking this damned war too seriously

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

What's the radius of a flare? Does it work in air while traveling or is it only active on the ground?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

RCarr posted:

The M1903 Experimental for the scout class is amazing. The damage is a little low, but it is laser accurate, and has FORTY-ONE shots in a clip. Trust me, just give it a try. It's a thing of beauty, and really makes the attack scout niche plausible.

The best news.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beastie posted:

What's the radius of a flare? Does it work in air while traveling or is it only active on the ground?

Only on the ground. So shooting it straight up will only result in it landing somewhere else. So if you're trying to get some situational awareness immediately around yourself just shoot the ground

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

mellowjournalism posted:

Between horsiemans and bayo charge I posit this is the best battlewar yet

If one is not having ridiculous amounts of fun every time they log on, I posit they are taking this damned war too seriously

It's really fun but it's really hard. I guess I haven't played shooter video games much, more of an NBA 2k guy, but my average game has me dying about 25-30 times with 2-3 kills. If i get into a tank or get on a horse I can scrape a few more kills, but I am so so bad right now

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I agree that this game is more demanding. I think the maps are solid, but the actual gun play is way more rigorous.

I find that death comes swiftly. It seems like in previous games it was easy to get into a prolonged gunfight, trading potshots, squad spawning in, suppression, crawling away, flanking, victory.

This it seems like individuals run into eachother, a panic ensues, someone dies. Doesn't seem like people stay together very long. I think I'd suggest that we Xbros really focus on staying together. I think a solid and well rounded squad is more important than ever. The days of BF4 and everyone running engi are over.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I promise as a medic I will stay with my XBox bros and heal them, needle and bandage. Gamer tag friend0to0all, please, all I have now is my 12 yr old cousin and he is a savage that fucks me over constantly

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it me, or does the game troll you with spawn points? I choose Scout, and I'm put into a tight quarters room with some enemies in it. I choose Assault with a Shotgun and I'm put in a perfect sniping perch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is it me, or does the game troll you with spawn points? I choose Scout, and I'm put into a tight quarters room with some enemies in it. I choose Assault with a Shotgun and I'm put in a perfect sniping perch.

One time I spawned (granted, probably on a squad member) and I literally was bayonetted within less than a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiBksWKEhiY

Feenix fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 27, 2016

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Feenix posted:

One time I spawned (granted, probably on a squad member) and I literally was bayonetted within less than a second.

Same.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It would be MUCH worse if the game didn't let you spawn on squad members. It would just result in you spawning miles away from the action. It sucks the couple times a game you spawn and die instantly, but you always have the choice to spawn somewhere that's guaranteed to be safe if you want.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

RCarr posted:

It would be MUCH worse if the game didn't let you spawn on squad members. It would just result in you spawning miles away from the action. It sucks the couple times a game you spawn and die instantly, but you always have the choice to spawn somewhere that's guaranteed to be safe if you want.

Oh I wasn't really complaining about it. I just found it hilarious.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
If you don't think it's hysterical when you die suddenly then you are probably playing Battlefield wrong.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Keep in mind that the 1903 experimental does roughly the same damage per shot as your sidearm (20 damage per shot I think?), so it's basically a very accurate pistol. It's definitely a nice change from the bolt-actions sometimes, but you are absolutely not going to be winning most head-on confrontations with Assault / Medic / Support players. Using the flares and figuring out how to flank people is basically a requirement, but it's also pretty fun. It's sorta like a weak SKS from BF4.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Feenix posted:

To be fair,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66smLPczsE0

I mean ok technically I should have kept shooting but excuse me for not expecting an entire man to jump out of the one I had just shot

also I just got a battlepack for latejoining and idling in menu :lol::dice:

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Why is every game of conquest starting with half of each team rushing the other side's gimme?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

sunday at work posted:

Why is every game of conquest starting with half of each team rushing the other side's gimme?

Today on Grappa I was capping F (or E? the rear point, whichever) and an enemy flew a plane right overhead and bailed out so he could try to capture it, apparently not thinking about the fact that literally the entire team was sitting there for free capture points. Watching everyone look up and just volley fire him to death as he parachuted down was pretty funny. A for effort, I guess.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Feenix posted:

Oh I wasn't really complaining about it. I just found it hilarious.

And TBF, you spawned well away from the dude but that bayonet charge covers a lot of ground in a couple seconds.

sunday at work posted:

Haven't seen too much of that myself, but the "home" flag gets the vehicle spawns. Take it, and you potentially lock the other team out of planes and tanks, unless they pick up one of the central flags which gives a bonus. I guess there's maybe some metagame justification for pushing hard to get that vehicle advantage. Maybe. I just focus on shooting mans and following the crowd, I'm no pro-gamer 420 no-scope dude.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RCarr posted:

I hate having the squad spawn on me when I'm laying low in a sniping position. Might as erect a billboard giving away my position.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hate having the squad spawn on me when I'm laying low in a sniping position. Might as erect a billboard giving away my position.

I also hate this because it takes me an extra 20 seconds to run down a set of winding stairs to get onto the field back towards the battle.

Also, I posted earlier but can someone add me to the Battlegroup? PSN is Deadshanks

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Just grinded the Order of Icarus medal over a few days and getting those last few fighter kills over the Alps in heated dogfights amidst heavy flak was pretty epic. Most fun I've had since BC2.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Much like the Great War itself, this game leaves many unanswered questions.

Why is the UI so terrible?

Why can I not buy weapons and gadgets outside of a game?

What exactly is "vehicle damage" and why do I only have 28/75 despite playing nothing but assault and doing thousands of points of damage to vehicles every match?

Why does the game freeze everytime I go to look at my weapons?

Why is medal and level experience tracking completely worthless?

Why do I have to choose if I want to be locked into a new match or quit before all the post game stats have even finished loading?

Why are half if the gun upgrades exactly the same except with a different prefix and 5 more damage?

Perhaps it is only through the lofty heights of the future that we are able to look back on this game that is over 100 hours old and think that we could have made better decisions.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Why the UI is so terrible?

This one is easy to imagine: designers and programers aiming at a moving target. They start building a table with 4 legs, then the spec change to a horse and then change to a car, the result is a car made of wood with horse legs instead of wheels. Is painfull to look at, and cant walk, the interior is made of horse viscera and pointy wood spikes.

... is stupid, insane, useless and everybody know is awful. (The devs know, the players know, management dont want anybody to talk about it or recognize is a problem that exist)

Tei fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 28, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

What exactly is "vehicle damage" and why do I only have 28/75 despite playing nothing but assault and doing thousands of points of damage to vehicles every match?

loving this. I was trying to do this last night and getting frustrated. Near as I can tell, each time you hit a vehicle counts as one damage regardless of how much damage you actually do in one hit in the game. It's lame as poo poo.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Finally got that goddamned Scout medal out of sheer masochistic stubbornness at the end, it was not even remotely fun but I was halfway done with it already and I just wanted to power through. Having to destroy 3 vehicles with K bullets and get 5 kills in a single life on the same medal fuckin' sucks. Weirdly enough I got the 5 kills on Amiens of all places - I laid down in a pile of rubble between C and D on Conquest and I was apparently invisible because I got a 14-kill streak that included 2 pistol kills and a melee kill on a guy that literally walked across my entire prone body. Ended up running out of ammo for primary and secondary + grenades and just let myself get blown up by a tank. Got lucky as hell.

For the K bullet kills, I also got super lucky on the first one and hit a heavy tank that was about to explode and got credit for it. The other two were extremely lovely and I feel bad for burdening my team with my useless sniper husk while I went for them, because the strategy was: find an AA gun, smack it with my melee weapon until it had like 9 health left, then find a good bush and hide in it and wait for an enemy to capture the point and hopefully use it so I can shoot it with a K bullet. Took way too drat long but I got it. The funniest part is that blowing up an emplacement will kill the gunner no matter how much health they have, so those two poor bastards were at full health and got on an AA gun only to have it crumble literally half a second later and also instantly die from a bullet that didn't even hit them.

Thought I'd share that strategy for anyone else who is having a rough time trying to get those vehicle kills, because that medal is just pure poo poo and I will never attempt it ever again.

Phrakusca
Feb 16, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Today on Grappa I was capping F (or E? the rear point, whichever) and an enemy flew a plane right overhead and bailed out so he could try to capture it, apparently not thinking about the fact that literally the entire team was sitting there for free capture points. Watching everyone look up and just volley fire him to death as he parachuted down was pretty funny. A for effort, I guess.

I came across a similar hero last night

http://i.imgur.com/H3tSXQC.gifv

edit: This gif also touches on something I've definitely noticed: People do not respect tanks. I've gotten so many kills from people who just do not react to me at all. Either that or they don't realise I'm hostile. I honestly have people run right up to my turret all the bloody time.

Phrakusca fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 28, 2016

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The playerbase of this game is made of bloody idiots

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Egg Poacher posted:

I came across a similar hero last night

http://i.imgur.com/H3tSXQC.gifv

edit: This gif also touches on something I've definitely noticed: People do not respect tanks. I've gotten so many kills from people who just do not react to me at all. Either that or they don't realise I'm hostile. I honestly have people run right up to my turret all the bloody time.

I feel like the plane crashing into the flag makes this so much better

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

10 Beers posted:

loving this. I was trying to do this last night and getting frustrated. Near as I can tell, each time you hit a vehicle counts as one damage regardless of how much damage you actually do in one hit in the game. It's lame as poo poo.

Pro tip for getting the Newtonian Order medal: chain yourself to an AA gun. Drop 3 anti tank mines at a flag to grab a free tank kill at some point during the match and spend the rest of the match filling the air with flak and shredding airplanes. This goes for the 10 disables and 10 kills portions of the medal too.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anyone else with abysmal framerates with an i5? I have a somewhat old 3570k running at 4.2GHz and close quarter maps I drop into the 30's regularly. On the wide open maps I can usually maintain something around 60 but will still drop during intense action. This is regardless of graphics settings. I've tried all the 'fixes' and evidently others are having the same issue. This is with a 1080 running at 1440p.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Anyone else with abysmal framerates with an i5? I have a somewhat old 3570k running at 4.2GHz and close quarter maps I drop into the 30's regularly. On the wide open maps I can usually maintain something around 60 but will still drop during intense action. This is regardless of graphics settings. I've tried all the 'fixes' and evidently others are having the same issue. This is with a 1080 running at 1440p.

Try the pc thread. But I have a 3570k and a 1070 and I can run the game on ultra at 60 1080p. Maybe you've got shadow play on or something. Maybe see if it runs better in 1080p

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal

Detective No. 27 posted:

I try not to, but sometimes I can't resist just going prone after spawning on a sniper squadmate that won't evict his favorite super 1337 spot and just dumping a few long bursts of mg fire into a clump of enemies off in the distance, maybe lighting up a tank that's sort of looking in the sniper's direction, dropping an ammo case and running away.
Sometimes it's hilarious the amount of hatred you can draw towards the spot if you're annoying with a salvo of mortars plopped randomly in a flag being capped that's full of enemies.

My hatred for snipers knows no bounds and I turn into a seventh grader when thinking of ways to mess with the ones that don't contribute.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Sniper rifles are the worst thing that ever happened to first person shooters.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
I think they're a necessary evil but my eye twitches every time I take a huge amount of time running somewhere exotic to get to a flag the enemy has had all round and has absolutely nobody in it,.....

Except for that one sniper on a hill 20 feet outside the place in a clump of bushes that I didn't bother looking for.

At least for lots of them you know where to go back and knife them.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

sunday at work posted:

The worst thing is not them killing me, the worst thing is that 4/5 of my squad is sniping and will not move to cap any points so we lose in a landslide.

In a capture the objective based game it seems most often that the team with the most snipers loses.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

I feel like the plane crashing into the flag makes this so much better

I noticed how people pop in existence from nothing. This game needs a Star Trek teleport effect when people spawn in a squad, then we can pretend the whole game is happening inside a Holodeck and is the favorite game of the redshirts.

sunday at work posted:

We can uninvent sniper rifles, but we can't uninvent snipers. Don't blame the weapon, blame the person.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 28, 2016

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'd remove all peripheral awareness from the scope use to start.. Just a black screen and a circle.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

schrodinger's sniper rifle: simultaneously both 1 hit kill OP bullshit and the most useless loving thing in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can you kill someone by planting a dummy sniper post into their body? This is important.