Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

I think you can probably safely jump off Buffy after the Gentlemen episode, because I think that's the last really good one and the series just keeps getting more miserable until it finally mercifully ends. Angel, on the other hand, is fun throughout.

Honest to God that's where I stopped watching recently. I just don't have it in me to go through the depressing slog of season 6/7 and there's no way I'm sitting through Dawn Summers a second time.

SonicRulez posted:

Any criticism of a general period of Angel (or Buffy for that matter) comes with exceptions for Angelus and/or Faith. Yeah, Season 4 was the grand introduction of Connor. And it had Jasmine. And Cordelia slept with Connor. Just all of it was the worst ever.

I was a senior in high school during season 4 so I ate all that edgy drama BS up at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Strange was very cool and good.

Outside of a few minor references entirely self-contained. A bit goofy and full of exposition, but it didn't crawl up its own rear end too much. They really went all out in terms of crazy visuals and wild powers, there are a lot of very creative scenes in there.

Tilda Swinton owns. Tilda Swintowns.

There was a kind of wuxia quality to it, almost some Stephen Chow in there too. Didn't feel like a superhero movie so much as a supernatural adventure film. Good stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I recall liking season six of Buffy, but I think it's because I watched it when I was right at the end of my last year of university with no job, nothing lined up for when I left and no idea what I was going to do next. Whedon says the main villain in season six was "life" or "growing up" (which is why the three main bad guys are three nerds who never got over high school) and I related to that at the time.

Of course, I also watched it on DVD so I was able to burn through it pretty fast - I'd probably be a lot less charitable if I'd had to wait to see it from week to week when it was coming out. Same deal for Angel season four.

Anyway, hoping I'll get to see Doctor Strange over the weekend.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hakkesshu posted:

Outside of a few minor references entirely self-contained. A bit goofy and full of exposition, but it didn't crawl up its own rear end too much. They really went all out in terms of crazy visuals and wild powers, there are a lot of very creative scenes in there.

There was a kind of wuxia quality to it, almost some Stephen Chow in there too. Didn't feel like a superhero movie so much as a supernatural adventure film. Good stuff.

Please don't derail the Buffy Fancast thread comic movie reviews.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doc Strange was okay.
The biggest problem was that apart from the Inception powers, the villains were pretty uninteresting.
Also, Benedict's American accent was a bit fishy. I'd rather he was a British doctor who just happened to be working in America.

And Dormammu looked real, real dumb.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 28, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

JT Smiley posted:

I think the entire storyline that led to that moment was my jump the shark moment. I tried to do a series re-watch recently and just jumped off partway through season four and just stuck to watching Angel.
The end of Season 4 is great. I think it's overall one of my favourite seasons, even though it has a real stinker in there. 5 has a great arc and finale, but some below-par episodes in there (although it also has The Body so...)

I hated 6 first time through, but on rewatching it afterwards I think I "got" the arc a lot better (after doing some of my own growing up). There are still some really bad episodes in there, the series suffered a lot when Noxon became showrunner and seemed to have a "Spike must be shirtless in every episode" mandate.

3 is still the best season though, and the Mayor is the best villain.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah I thought Swinton was great in it. She plays it like a really cool mix of Morpheus and Galadriel or something. Ejiofor is really good also. I particularly like how Mordo is written, I was completely expecting him to just get tempted by power, or to be jealous of Strange or something, but I'm glad they didn't use either of those tropes. It just feels a bit more of a natural development that he feels betrayed by the Ancient One, and you can empathise with him to a point at least.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's pretty accurate to the comics in that way. :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Teenage Fansub posted:

Doc Strange was okay.
The biggest problem was that apart from the Inception powers, the villains were pretty uninteresting.
Also, Benedict's American accent was a bit fishy. I'd rather he was a British doctor who just happened to be working in America.

The Dr Gregory House school of American Accents.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Yeah, he was just doing a House impression. I wonder why England decided that's what an American doctor sounds like.

Dormammu, I've come to bargain! got big laughs in my theater.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sion posted:

The Dr Gregory House school of American Accents.

House is among the better fake American accents Britain has produced.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Lurdiak posted:

Mark Addy's in "Still Standing" (an under-rated sitcom) is one of the best I've heard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcb3Vm-a8w

Similarly, Bob Hoskins in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit"

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

British and Irish people doing American accents is still way better than the reverse.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Eh! Frank posted:

Mark Addy's in "Still Standing" (an under-rated sitcom) is one of the best I've heard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcb3Vm-a8w

Holy gently caress, the husband from Still Standing is British?

Holy gently caress!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Mark Addy's come a long way from shaking it all about in The Full Monty.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Lee Evans (Tucker) in 'There's Something About Mary' is probably my favorite.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
it's our revenge for that awful oliver twist accent you guys always do

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Paul Blackthorne has the best American accent of any Brit.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lovechop posted:

It's not our fault that "gov'nor!" is so much fun to say.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Maybe we wouldn't pick on the British so much if they pronounced the H's in their words properly. Like herbs, or the river Thames.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Australians are basically British, and Yvonne Strahovski had a really good American accent on Chuck.

Lovechop posted:

That's what you sound like.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Lovechop posted:

that awful oliver twist accent you guys always do

Michael Caine's Texan accent in "Secondhand Lions" is pretty much the inverse of that accent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They hired the director of John Wick for Deadpool 2.

Edit: Well, a director. David Leitch. John Wick had 2. The other is doing John Wick 2.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 28, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Well that is a goddamned upgrade. Holy poo poo.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Well, a director. David Leitch. John Wick had 2. The other is doing John Wick 2.

This is the best news I've ever heard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Then this news is going to suck.

Because I guess Gizmodo jumped the gun, they now say they haven't picked anyone yet but he's a finalist.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I didn't realize John wick had two directors so i have no idea how the duties were split up but that could be a really good pick if they get him

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Well that is a goddamned upgrade. Holy poo poo.

Hell yes it is. gently caress that other guy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Drew Goddard and Magnus Martens have also been thrown around as guys in the mix. While Leitch is my pick of the three all would be good. Martens is a good outside pick of a guy that's a great fit. He directed one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen in any medium on Banshee (Nola Longshadow vs Clay Burton).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Get a pretty cute Dr. Strange poster when you link your Disney Movie Rewards account to a Regal Crown Theatres Club account.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/DoctorStrange?cmp=DMR|EMC|GWL|Regal|Regal|DoctorStrange|Hero|20161028

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Maybe we wouldn't pick on the British so much if they pronounced the H's in their words properly. Like herbs, or the river Thames.

The country that pronounces "Graham" as "Gram" doesn't get to complain about missing the letter H.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also herbs has a silent H.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

twistedmentat posted:

Also herbs has a silent H.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6lJGD3Q9Qs

Because there's a loving H in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I got my wrong-pronouncing countries mixed up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Paul Blackthorne has the best American accent of any Brit.

Oh hell yeah, absolutely

First off, if you don't recognize the name, that is (to an American) a very British sounding last name. Second, he's the main police officer on Arrow.

This is him in character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WN-xRsYTn4

This is his normal speaking voice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azy3mB_ivaQ

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
James Gunn apparently filmed Stan Lee cameos for Guardians 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther.

They are going to try to film another block with Ryan Coogler directing early next year. Hopefully they can create a strategic reserve of Stan Lee cameos to get us through the next millennium.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Saw Doctor Strange, liked it, but holy poo poo that was a cookie-cutter plot.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

James Gunn apparently filmed Stan Lee cameos for Guardians 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, and Black Panther.

They are going to try to film another block with Ryan Coogler directing early next year. Hopefully they can create a strategic reserve of Stan Lee cameos to get us through the next millennium.

They must be expecting him to die soon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why don't they just do a full body scan and cg that poo poo?

And have him just record a dictionary with the format "______" true believers!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just 20 takes of "Hey! Look out the window! There goes the neighbourhood!"

e: Three takes of "spaceport" instead of "window" for Guardians sequels.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
They should just have another actor lined up to play Stan Lee. In real life. Maybe they already have...*x-files theme*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can someone tell me what Doctor Strange's end credit(s) reveal(s) without spoiling the movie itself? I won't be able to see it for a while.

• Locked thread