Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sanctum posted:

I'm realizing how awful I've been at managing my cities so far. I blame the UI. Civ4 had nice distinctive icons for positive/negative local city health & happiness so you'd pay attention to those numbers.

I was maximizing growth out of habit and wasting a disgusting amount of tile yields on limited growth. But my capital had very little growth and even in the late game it's still my smallest core city and is producing twice what my best civ5-esque min-max 4x river wheat tile 7x floodplain tile petra super-city with 3 overlapping industrial center boosts can make. My tiny capital sitting at 9 pop has twice the production with amenity boosts for being so small.

There is so much stupid poo poo I don't understand. The amenities work a lot like global happiness except you can't see it without pulling up your city sheet. You still have to build entertainment districts which is no better than having to build colleseums and zoos in every city like before. It doesn't seem like an improvement to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Decrepus posted:

There is so much stupid poo poo I don't understand. The amenities work a lot like global happiness except you can't see it without pulling up your city sheet. You still have to build entertainment districts which is no better than having to build colleseums and zoos in every city like before. It doesn't seem like an improvement to me.

The diff is that entertainment district gives amenities to any city within 6 tiles of it. Same goes for industrial.

ICS is back baby.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

From the first videogames, to the growth of the strategy genre, to the development of the computer, you Sid Meier have paved the way in entertainment.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Decrepus posted:

It doesn't seem like an improvement to me.

That's because it's a district :rimshot:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

prefect posted:

Is there a way to change the defaults? I don't ever want a map that's less than huge.

I was just browsing the UI files and found that the default values are stored in <Steam folder>\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Configuration\Data\SetupParameters.xml. I have't tested it yet, but I plan to do it next time I want to start a new game. It should be the next best thing after having an actual restart button. I wonder if it lets you specify a default leader as well...

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Decrepus posted:

From the first videogames, to the growth of the strategy genre, to the development of the computer, you Sid Meier have paved the way in entertainment.

That could be a fun little mod.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

The barbarian spawn rates on deity are hilariously high. I got insanely far behind because the camps were spawning 1-2 horsemen almost every turn while I tried to clear them. Might try it again with Sparta, her bonus should scale really well with fighting barbarians every turn for a hundred or so turns

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rexides posted:

I was just browsing the UI files and found that the default values are stored in <Steam folder>\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Configuration\Data\SetupParameters.xml. I have't tested it yet, but I plan to do it next time I want to start a new game. It should be the next best thing after having an actual restart button. I wonder if it lets you specify a default leader as well...

I'm forcing myself to play at least one full game with each leader, but Trajan is my favorite so far. (Free roads!)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

So... is the war weariness penalty permanent if you wipe out a civ before they surrender/cede cities etc? 20 turns later and still a -8 war weariness modifier everywhere.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
IF Barbs take a city do they TAKE IT or is it immediately razed?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

snoremac posted:

Anyone know why the game takes 10+ minutes to launch from Steam for me? In that time my laptop's fans are quiet, as if it's not straining to load anything, until eventually the game starts and actually runs pretty well. I had the same issue with Civ V and Beyond Earth after upgrading to Windows 10.

I've heard that allowing Civ as an exception through Windows Defender and firewall solves this.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jastiger posted:

On a related subject, what's a good standard peacetime army size? I used to have a defensive unit and an offensive unit in each city, but you can't stack any more, so I'm not sure what to do. :downs:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

prefect posted:

On a related subject, what's a good standard peacetime army size? I used to have a defensive unit and an offensive unit in each city, but you can't stack any more, so I'm not sure what to do. :downs:

Just go real hard on ranged units. For the first 100 turns you basically just need a bunch of archers stationed on rough terrain on your border to stave off any threats. Maybe some horsedudes for chasing down barbs.

Also ranged naval is very useful. For everything really, but especially for defense.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Decrepus posted:

It doesn't seem like an improvement to me.

What problems did you have with global happiness that you also have with amenities?

They're really similar, but the implementation is different in a way that I think removes most of the issues people had with global happiness.

GrandpaPants posted:

What is the optimal distance between two cities now? 4 hexes? 5? 6? This whole district business makes planning cities more difficult than "optimal spread of resources, possibly block AIs"

Sort of depends, you can space it out pretty well, that's better for growth and big cities. You can also pack them more tightly for district adjacency bonuses, this is really good if you're Japan.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Speaking of naval, I found out in one of my games that melee naval units can assault and cap coastal cities. Was it like that in Civ V? Despite playing 400 hours of that game, I think I only ever got in like 2 or 3 big naval wars.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

prefect posted:

That's a pretty subjective question. How many cities do you have? How big are your neighbors, and do they hate you or not? How is your tech level comparatively? Do you have walls/encampments on the borders? How much gold do you have/can you buy units if you need them suddenly?

There's no real single answer to it. My rule of thumb is to have enough troops to be able to get a 1-2 melee units and 2-3 ranged units into a trouble spot within a few turns. So my cities that border other Civs directly, assuming they have walls and an encampment, usually have 1-2 ranged units and a melee unit hanging around, and then a couple more units hanging around the interior to be moved to a front that needs it (if I have multiple potential fronts). This is probably overkill. It's good to have a couple of mobile troops (cavalry of some kind) hanging around to get to hot spots quickly, and to pick off barbarians.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gully Foyle posted:

That's a pretty subjective question. How many cities do you have? How big are your neighbors, and do they hate you or not? How is your tech level comparatively? Do you have walls/encampments on the borders? How much gold do you have/can you buy units if you need them suddenly?

There's no real single answer to it. My rule of thumb is to have enough troops to be able to get a 1-2 melee units and 2-3 ranged units into a trouble spot within a few turns. So my cities that border other Civs directly, assuming they have walls and an encampment, usually have 1-2 ranged units and a melee unit hanging around, and then a couple more units hanging around the interior to be moved to a front that needs it (if I have multiple potential fronts). This is probably overkill. It's good to have a couple of mobile troops (cavalry of some kind) hanging around to get to hot spots quickly, and to pick off barbarians.

Thanks for the rule of thumb -- that's the kind of info I need. Probably two units per city at minimum; I guess I can build encampments and put them there. (Realized last night that I've only been building one encampment per game, like a schmuck. I keep getting caught up in other things.)

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
The optimal distance between cities is closer than you think because the AI is a loving DICK and WILL settle loving gimp-rear end cities in whatever gaps you leave in your beautiful empire

gently caress YOU SALADIN

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

quadrophrenic posted:

Speaking of naval, I found out in one of my games that melee naval units can assault and cap coastal cities. Was it like that in Civ V? Despite playing 400 hours of that game, I think I only ever got in like 2 or 3 big naval wars.

Yes, you could do this in civ V

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

prefect posted:

Thanks for the rule of thumb -- that's the kind of info I need. Probably two units per city at minimum; I guess I can build encampments and put them there. (Realized last night that I've only been building one encampment per game, like a schmuck. I keep getting caught up in other things.)

One encampment isn't bad, esp if you're playing a peaceful/defensive civ. I usually like to build two if I get horses, one for regular units and one specifically for mounted.

Remember encampments are primarily for unit production bonuses, so if you only plan on having one army city, one encampment is fine

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah that's the other thing, not every city you settle has to be a master tier city with 30 pop, you can settle weak cities that aren't going anywhere just to grab resources or fill out space, or build districts for adjacency bonus (if you're the aztecs) and if amenities become an issue just set those cities to not grow

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah that's the other thing, not every city you settle has to be a master tier city with 30 pop, you can settle weak cities that aren't going anywhere just to grab resources or fill out space, or build districts for adjacency bonus (if you're the aztecs) and if amenities become an issue just set those cities to not grow

A part of my brain is still in Civ 2 "every city must eventually build every improvement" mode.

I wish there were a way to see recommended builder improvements all the time, instead of just when they're close to a builder. I want to plan! :rant:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The movement rules are good and cool.

Moving units from one location to another is the absolute worst part of 1UPT and Civ VI has made it even more annoying and makes me want to wage war even less. Even if stacks had nothing else going for them it sure was pleasant to be able to double click on a stack to simultaneously select 100 tanks and move them all with one click.

Traffic jams were literally the worst part of Civ V and Civ VI has made them even worse somehow. If the game wasn't better on pretty much every other level I might be more frustrated with this.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Magil Zeal posted:

Moving units from one location to another is the absolute worst part of 1UPT and Civ VI has made it even more annoying and makes me want to wage war even less. Even if stacks had nothing else going for them it sure was pleasant to be able to double click on a stack to simultaneously select 100 tanks and move them all with one click.

Traffic jams were literally the worst part of Civ V and Civ VI has made them even worse somehow. If the game wasn't better on pretty much every other level I might be more frustrated with this.

are you not building roads? you should be getting some roads down son

you say doomstacks were good because you could move 100 tanks at a time, i say doomstacks are bad because you have to build 100 tanks individually

tomato, tomato

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

quadrophrenic posted:

The optimal distance between cities is closer than you think because the AI is a loving DICK and WILL settle loving gimp-rear end cities in whatever gaps you leave in your beautiful empire

Ahahaha, not only did this happen in my latest game, but it was Saladin who did it to me. Then he declared war on me, so I took the city. Thanks, Saladin.

Anyway I too am having trouble with the whole "don't need to settle at perfect ranged out" thing, though I'm getting better about it. Been prioritizing access to Stuff I need and terrain and such when deciding sites, and while I may still err a bit on the side of being further away rather than close together, I'm not too bothered about slight "overlap" anymore.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

quadrophrenic posted:

are you not building roads? you should be getting some roads down son

you say doomstacks were good because you could move 100 tanks at a time, i say doomstacks are bad because you have to build 100 tanks individually

tomato, tomato

Back in my day we had something called a "production queue" and also could queue up a city to produce something over and over until it was told otherwise, but it was found that such quality of life features were not needed in today's games.

But yes I do build roads, it doesn't help. Even though I use internal trade routes almost exclusively because production is so much more valuable than gold (well, at least because I refuse to use the selling units exploit).

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

By the way map pins are really good for district planning.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

My issues with roads mostly lie in the fact that it doesn't really speed up movement until the Modern Era. The stupid 0.75 movement industrial roads mean my 2-move units still just move 2 spaces, and have a useless 0.5 moves leftover. Then you get to Modern and suddenly all your 2-move guys can move 4 spaces. Why couldn't they have at least done like 2/3 movement cost in the industrial, so that 2-movers get 3 spaces? Or maybe roads should use the movement rules of the previous Civs and let you move a space as long as you have any movement left at all.

I'm hoping that an expansion brings back railroads. Maybe a Transport Hub district that will create a railroad between any two cities with that district, along with buildings for public transport/subways etc.

quadrophrenic posted:

The worst is Russia, since their extra tiles explosion immediately grab a huge chunk of land right in your face. In my last game I got so frustrated I put units on every settle-able spot in between my cities.

Magil Zeal posted:

Back in my day we had something called a "production queue" and also could queue up a city to produce something over and over until it was told otherwise, but it was found that such quality of life features were not needed in today's games.

As much as I don't miss the construction queue that much, and I can see why districts made in more difficult to implement, they really need to at least add an option to just keep building a unit/project until you tell it to stop. Same with Counterspying. Why does that last only like 6 turns? The spy should stay there until you tell it to move. Or at least just have a simple 'repeat last mission' button somewhere.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 28, 2016

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gully Foyle posted:

The worst is Russia, since their extra tiles explosion immediately grab a huge chunk of land right in your face. In my last game I got so frustrated I put units on every settle-able spot in between my cities.

"Your troops are on my borders! Time for an diplo hit!"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I asked this earlier but I'm going to try again - for those people who have played multiplayer do you notice that even if you pick a huge map it doesn't seem to actually be very big?
It also doesn't add many civs and has a paddy if I try and add any more than the default 7.

But if I play single player on large/huge there's tonnes of other civs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The maps in single player seem really small to me too. I'm playing huge right now and it feels tiny. All the civs are so cramped.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

it gets razed, i had barbs literally kill elizabeth and remove her from the game after i mpushed her back into one city, then just left her there

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Grand Fromage posted:

The maps in single player seem really small to me too. I'm playing huge right now and it feels tiny. All the civs are so cramped.

I've tried some single player huge maps with just three other civs (it's normally twelve), and they're always right next door! :rant:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

peacetime!?!?! What's that?

rudatron fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 28, 2016

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
*Trajan with 20+ Hoplites combined to armies on every tile in a city who's border is nuts-to-rear end to my capital border*

*my AT crew runs across, on it's way to another city*

REMOVE YOUR ARMY FROM MY BORDERS YOU SCUM (Denounces you)

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Ross Perowned posted:

*Trajan with 20+ Hoplites combined to armies on every tile in a city who's border is nuts-to-rear end to my capital border*

*my AT crew runs across, on it's way to another city*

REMOVE YOUR ARMY FROM MY BORDERS YOU SCUM (Denounces you)

To be fair, he's extremely intimidated because that one AT crew could take all those Hoplites and then snag the city.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
What is the benefit of having a citizen work a district tile? As far as I can tell, most of the benefit is gained without that work and the added bonus is fairly minor, I think 2 beakers for the campus for example.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Eventually you might run out of regular improvements to work and sometimes you need an extra edge in one area or the other.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Am I just unlucky, or is the AI extremely aggressive in this game?

I've been at war with at least 1, and up to 4, Civs at any given time since turn 14 of this 300 turn game. It's my first game, so I'm unsure if this is the norm or if the map just made everyone crazy.

I get that leaders have agendas, but Norway declaring war on me and getting defeated every 20 turns or so because I don't have a navy seems a bit much.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The diplomacy is real messed up so every AI is constantly like 40K PURGE THE HERETIC BURN THE UNCLEAN mode and hates you from the moment you make contact. In the dark future of Civ 6 there is only war.