Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CJacobs posted:

My favorite halloween movie is the 1989 movie Teen Wtich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBE53CIT8E

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Witch

quote:

Budget $2.5 million
Box office $27,843

That IS scary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

dsriggs posted:

That IS scary!
I think I heard it was a big hit on the VHS market though.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I probably got my first boner watching Teen Witch. I've tried to find what I saw in her but can't.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

temple posted:

I probably got my first boner watching Teen Witch. I've tried to find what I saw in her but can't.

She's a girl.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

temple posted:

Maybe she used her black magic to give you a boner

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

a bone to pick posted:

Maybe she used her black magic to give you a boner

The battle of the bands episode of Sabrina the Teenage Witch has mysterious powers

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

temple posted:

I mean, look at the way that dude's shirt hangs off his shoulders like it's made of paper and you'll find your answer. What a stud.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Wicker Man posted:

With the kind of bullshit rules, political red tape and other things that gently caress with their trainees, there's probably more sexual shenanigans going on in the jedi council chambers than at the Vatican.

All the popes and priests and bishops and stuff go to clubs and bars and stuff after work, and nobody in town cares.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I saw Dr Strange at the movie theatre.

It was pretty good for a cape bros film. The arc was pretty standard super hero stuff but the visuals were cool, they tried to do something a bit different with time travel and poo poo and Benedict Cabbagepatch was very good as an arrogant piece of poo poo doctor. Don't normally like him but I liked him in this.

I'd rate it worth seeing if you're not totally burned out on cape bros.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's looking like we might not get a Halloween Commentary track this year. Too bad, I enjoyed the ones they did in the past.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

your posts are bad

You're mistaken.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Calling Rey a mary sue is sexist

http://bit.ly/2eYCmRx

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

We Know Catheters posted:

She says the words "mary sue" itself are sexist:

"The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it's the name of a woman," she says. "Everyone was saying that Luke had the exact same [abilities]. I think Rey is incredibly vulnerable, and nothing she's doing is for the greater good. She's just doing what she thinks is the right thing. And she doesn't want to do some of it, but she feels compelled to do it. So for me, I was just confused."

Some of the dumbest poo poo Ive ever read.

Except my posts.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

We Know Catheters posted:

quote:

"The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it's the name of a woman," she says.

Well, accusation thoroughly refuted.

E:FB

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JB50 posted:

"The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it's the name of a woman," she says. "Everyone was saying that Luke had the exact same [abilities]. I think Rey is incredibly vulnerable, and nothing she's doing is for the greater good. She's just doing what she thinks is the right thing. And she doesn't want to do some of it, but she feels compelled to do it. So for me, I was just confused."

Except my posts.

Maybe she is right.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Wait does she actually have downs I just thought she looked a little weird.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Maybe she is right.

Yes indeed, any use of a females name is sexist.

Totally makes sense.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

People still care enough about TFA to make Mary Sue criticisms about it? Oh, this is in response to some Twitter things. An article that doesn't matter about a thing that doesn't matter about a movie that no longer matters by some people who don't matter on a platform that doesn't matter. Reported on a dead forum.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JB50 posted:

Yes indeed, any use of a females name is sexist.

Totally makes sense.

It's like when you tell someone not to call you Shirley. Why Shirley and not some male name, huh?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

doctorfrog posted:

People still care enough about TFA to make Mary Sue criticisms about it? Oh, this is in response to some Twitter things. An article that doesn't matter about a thing that doesn't matter about a movie that no longer matters by some people who don't matter on a platform that doesn't matter. Reported on a dead forum.

Why are you bothered to post about it?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Why are you bothered to post about it?

This is the thread for really angry drunks.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think the actress probably went to defend her character because the majority of people bitching about Mary Sue poo poo on Twitter aren't the people discussing it in here. Instead of "I think Rey's a bit of a Mary Sue in TFA," you get "REY IS MARY SUE LAZY poo poo WRITING FUCKIN FEMINIST ABRAMS #MENMATTER2"

I can understand being upset if she's getting bombarded with more of the latter than the former.

Personally, I felt she did come across as a bit of a Mary Sue in TFA but I'm intrigued enough by her mysterious backstory to give it a pass. If it leads to a disappointing payoff in Ep. 8 or 9, then the whole thing will leave a bad taste in my mouth. I'm willing to wait and see, though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shinjobi posted:

I think the actress probably went to defend her character because the majority of people bitching about Mary Sue poo poo on Twitter aren't the people discussing it in here. Instead of "I think Rey's a bit of a Mary Sue in TFA," you get "REY IS MARY SUE LAZY poo poo WRITING FUCKIN FEMINIST ABRAMS #MENMATTER2"

I can understand being upset if she's getting bombarded with more of the latter than the former.

Personally, I felt she did come across as a bit of a Mary Sue in TFA but I'm intrigued enough by her mysterious backstory to give it a pass. If it leads to a disappointing payoff in Ep. 8 or 9, then the whole thing will leave a bad taste in my mouth. I'm willing to wait and see, though.

I think that's probably true, and I think it's terrible that we expect our celebrities to subject themselves to the torrent of human excrement that is twitter. But, her argument is 'Mary Sue is a feminine name, so using it makes you sexist' and I don't think that argument is going to help her predicament.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, that was like taking a dixie cup of water and throwing it on a forest fire.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, that was like taking a dixie cup of water and throwing it on a forest fire.

Except the water is actually vodka.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

People didn't like Rey, doesn't matter what they call her. Mary sue is just a more specific way to say flawed character.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I liked Rey well enough but I hated Kylo Ren every second he was on screen since he took his big dumb mask off.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
"Mary Sue" is the name of a specific character from a parody Star Trek fanfic in like the 70s, Daisy Ridley is an idiot.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

RyokoTK posted:

"Mary Sue" is the name of a specific character from a parody Star Trek fanfic in like the 70s, Daisy Ridley is an idiot.

Written by a woman also, as a parody of bad fanfic.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Light Gun Man posted:

so are there like jedi council employed hookers or do you have to use your blueballs as a method to channel the force? this seems like probably the number 1 reason to go darkside

Sex Droids. Some of them want an android that looks like a normal biological being, and others want a Sorayama gynoid, etc.

Deepest, darkest secret of the Jedi Order, I'll tell you that much. The BT-P4G model is popular.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

Sex Droids. Some of them want an android that looks like a normal biological being, and others want a Sorayama gynoid, etc.

Deepest, darkest secret of the Jedi Order, I'll tell you that much. The BT-P4G model is popular.

This would actually make a lot of sense, yeah. I totally forgot these existed: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BD-3000_luxury_droid/Legends

poo poo they were even in one of the lego games.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

RyokoTK posted:

yeah gently caress people if they don't know about star trek fanfics jfc

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 29, 2016

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Light Gun Man posted:

This would actually make a lot of sense, yeah. I totally forgot these existed: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BD-3000_luxury_droid/Legends

poo poo they were even in one of the lego games.

'Flattery programming'.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Whorelord posted:

Yeah that's it, good work :bravo:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Whorelord posted:

The origin of the phrase is in the very first result on google, which is a wikipedia article.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

who cares nerds

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There is so much ownage going on in here right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkAd4XWwNos&t=89s

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JB50 posted:

Except my posts.

like she is right about the character motivation, but she is wrong about what a mary sue and everything else. also a male mary sue is called a gary stu and its not really sexist just really lovely writing, and i honestly didnt think she was that much of mary sue, she learns fast and is good at stuff but it can be explained because of poo poo in the movie and context clues and poo poo.

temple posted:

People didn't like Rey, doesn't matter what they call her. Mary sue is just a more specific way to say flawed character.

nah. mary sue is more "A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment". poo poo like twilight is mary sue stuff.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rey being a mary sue isn't the end of the world. The more people argue against it the more it sounds bad. Just enjoy the movies. If other people don't, get over it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

"A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment".

This describes Rey's character perfectly, hence why she's a Mary Sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

temple posted:

Rey being a mary sue isn't the end of the world. The more people argue against it the more it sounds bad. Just enjoy the movies. If other people don't, get over it.

But then how am I supposed to keep myself alive with hate

• Locked thread