Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
https://shop.trycelery.com/page/bibliotheca-us

It says that it will be delivered in December 2016 and the latest updates say that it's mostly finished but as a kickstarter there's probably still a certain amount of risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Lord is all that, I need for nothing
He allows me to chill.
He keeps me from being heated
And allows me to breathe easy.
He guides my life so that
I can represent and give
Shouts out in his Name.
And even though I walk through
The Hood of death,
I don't back down
For you have my back.
The fact that you have me covered
Allows me to chill.
He provides me with back-up
In front of my player-haters
And I know that I am a baler
And life will be phat
I fall back in the Lord's crib
For the rest of my life.

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Hip-Hop-Version/dp/1593308000

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deteriorata posted:

The Lord is all that, I need for nothing
He allows me to chill.
He keeps me from being heated
And allows me to breathe easy.
He guides my life so that
I can represent and give
Shouts out in his Name.
And even though I walk through
The Hood of death,
I don't back down
For you have my back.
The fact that you have me covered
Allows me to chill.
He provides me with back-up
In front of my player-haters
And I know that I am a baler
And life will be phat
I fall back in the Lord's crib
For the rest of my life.

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Hip-Hop-Version/dp/1593308000
uh, rude, do not doxx Smoking Crow's private devotions

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I seriously thought that was from The Message at first.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

there's a "remix" version of the message that would fit right into

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Soo Benny Hinn, yesterday, came out in support of the Catholic Church because of the Real Presence in the Eucharist and the devotion Catholics have to the Church (rather than church hopping like Protestants.)

Now I feel icky.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

the concept of televangelists makes me wish someone would go full on cleansing of the temple.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Man Whore posted:

the concept of televangelists makes me wish someone would go full on cleansing of the temple.

Counterpoint: Venerable Fulton Sheen. So the concept of using television to evangelize and even proselytize isn't bad.

The execution... uh... well... :yikes:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Phlegmatist posted:

Soo Benny Hinn, yesterday, came out in support of the Catholic Church because of the Real Presence in the Eucharist and the devotion Catholics have to the Church (rather than church hopping like Protestants.)

Now I feel icky.

Lol at his pseudo-vestments first and foremost.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Man Whore posted:

Never too late. I confront other faithful when it's clear they're up to no good, apathy is a much greater asset to these people than money or television.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just started a job doing data entry/receiving phone calls for government medical/food assistance programs, need an appropriate patron saint stat

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oscar Romero

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mo Tzu posted:

Oscar Romero

Was actually kinda thinking that

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Just started a job doing data entry/receiving phone calls for government medical/food assistance programs, need an appropriate patron saint stat

Today is the feast of St. Jude...

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

Was actually kinda thinking that

I mean he's not gonna get canonized without a miracle for reasons that both confuse and irritate me

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

zonohedron posted:

Today is the feast of St. Jude...

so people who receive food stamps are lost causes? harsh

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Maybe he needs a saint for himself and his job, not his clients.

Alternatively, this prayer seems to shed a little light on the definition and fuzzy edges of "lost" causes:

quote:

O most holy apostle, Saint Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the Church honoureth and invoketh thee universally, as the patron of hopeless cases, and of things almost despaired of. Pray for me, who am so miserable. Make use, I implore thee, of that particular privilege accorded to thee, to bring visible and speedy help where help was almost despaired of. Come to mine assistance in this great need, that I may receive the consolation and succor of Heaven in all my necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly (here make your request) and that I may praise God with thee and all the elect throughout eternity. I promise thee, O blessed Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favour, to always honour thee as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to thee. Amen.

(emphasis mine)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 28, 2016

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Doesn't St. Jude cover desperate situations in general as well?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

cerror posted:

Doesn't St. Jude cover desperate situations in general as well?

Yes, and while I admit I am not an expert on St. Jude, it just really sits wrong with me to look at charity and social programs for lower-class people, and package them into a box labeled "desperation/giving up". To me this is incompatible with much of the Gospel, as it places a second-class humanity onto those who find themselves in the position to receive such aid, and denies the transformative power of loving one's neighbor.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Yes, and while I admit I am not an expert on St. Jude, it just really sits wrong with me to look at charity and social programs for lower-class people, and package them into a box labeled "desperation/giving up". To me this is incompatible with much of the Gospel, as it places a second-class humanity onto those who find themselves in the position to receive such aid, and denies the transformative power of loving one's neighbor.
praying to saint jude doesn't mean you've given up, it means you believe things are difficult and suck right now.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

praying to saint jude doesn't mean you've given up, it means you believe things are difficult and suck right now.

Who is the patron saint of "everything's going great right now, let's keep it up"?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

P-Mack posted:

Who is the patron saint of "everything's going great right now, let's keep it up"?

Buddy Christ

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

St Jude did make me feel better about first day of real work though :v:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I just wanted to direct your attention to this work of art I saw recently in one of my parish's churches:

It's part of a poster advertising this year's procession in honour of St Leonhard at a pilgrimage church not far away (I posted about this saint's cult and the specific church in the previous thread). It's so stylish, and Catholic, and Bavarian. It's perfect :allears:

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

StashAugustine posted:

St. Marquette de Youville and St. John Regis are both patrons of social work, they might fit. Source: I'm a social worker.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"Lost causes" does not mean the person asking St. Jude's intercession - people aren't lost causes while alive! - and it doesn't mean social programs count as "giving up", any more than going to St. Jude's Children's Hospital means someone's untreatable. St. Jude is the patron of things despaired of and needs that have been forgotten because he himself wasn't much venerated, despite being one of the Twelve, because his name was too close to Judas Iscariot's. People don't seek government assistance as a first resort - not necessarily a last one, but it's nobody's first choice - and so St. Jude seemed to fit quite well, besides it being his feast day. (Which he shares with Simon called the Zealot, in the Latin rite, because they were martyred together.)

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
So there's saint Francis and the wolf, Saint Anthony and his pig, and Saint Cuthbert and his otters... are there any other great saint/animal comboes that I should be aware of?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

CountFosco posted:

So there's saint Francis and the wolf, Saint Anthony and his pig, and Saint Cuthbert and his otters... are there any other great saint/animal comboes that I should be aware of?

St. Benedict and the Raven

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

St Ambrose and the bees, St Corbinian and the bear (which made it into Pope Benedict's coat of arms), St Jerome and the lion, St Hubert and the stag. St Gertrude of Nivelles is the patron saint of those who are afraid of mice :v: there's many more

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
St Seraphim also had a bear.

Edit: Well I guess it was technically God's bear.

Moscow Mule fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 29, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
St. George and a dragon. :v:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I know this wasn't what zonohedron meant, but it's definitely a common viewpoint in our society. I've been on social security payments for 13 years on and off, and there's nothing I want more than to go out there and work, but I can't because of a self-contradictory, time/paper-consuming bureaucratic behemoth that makes the Adeptus Administratum look like a fast checkout lane.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tias posted:

I know this wasn't what zonohedron meant, but it's definitely a common viewpoint in our society. I've been on social security payments for 13 years on and off, and there's nothing I want more than to go out there and work, but I can't because of a self-contradictory, time/paper-consuming bureaucratic behemoth that makes the Adeptus Administratum look like a fast checkout lane.

Dehumanize yourself and face to Kafka

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Tias posted:

It saddens me that I could say the exact same thing about the US's disability benefits system. Word for word.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
so apparently the ICK has established an oratory in Detroit about 45 minutes from me, and they're offering a full Solemn Requiem Mass with the Fauré Requiem this Wednesday to cap off Hallowtide. i am practically giddy at the thought of spending a gazillion hours in church this week.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2016/09/09/program_for_popes_visit_to_sweden_reformation_anniversary/1256960

:)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6u3zon_V-4

:shepicide:

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Bel_Canto posted:

so apparently the ICK has established an oratory in Detroit about 45 minutes from me, and they're offering a full Solemn Requiem Mass with the Fauré Requiem this Wednesday to cap off Hallowtide. i am practically giddy at the thought of spending a gazillion hours in church this week.

DUDE

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

This papal trip is really cool and I'm actually looking forward to the 500 year anniversary next year, but what I decidedly didn't like was the horrible fanfic I read in one of Germany's most prestigious weeklies today about the Pope getting rid of transsubstantiation to reconcile the churches which was good because he abandoned this “medieval superstition“ but also bad because it gave Benedict the opportunity to declare himself antipope :shepface:

I also didn't like the title story in another weekly (written by a pastor's son) about Luther and his influence on German history that read like Catholics stopped existing or at least mattering with the Reformation. I'm German *and* Catholic, yes that works! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

This papal trip is really cool and I'm actually looking forward to the 500 year anniversary next year, but what I decidedly didn't like was the horrible fanfic I read in one of Germany's most prestigious weeklies today about the Pope getting rid of transsubstantiation to reconcile the churches which was good because he abandoned this “medieval superstition“ but also bad because it gave Benedict the opportunity to declare himself antipope :shepface:

I also didn't like the title story in another weekly (written by a pastor's son) about Luther and his influence on German history that read like Catholics stopped existing or at least mattering with the Reformation. I'm German *and* Catholic, yes that works! :mad:
where did the authors of these heretical tracts come from? surely their names had no -stein or -ski on the ends :cryingaustria:

• Locked thread