Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phanos posted:

"Fug" is a real word, but I'm not sure if they intentionally used it or not.

fug
fəɡ/
noun British informal
noun: fug; plural noun: fugs

a warm, stuffy, or smoky atmosphere in a room.
"the cozy fug of the music halls"
That may be, but it's pretty obviously a typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm just figuring out what I'd need to get started doing modeling. I have no idea what army I'd start with, I'd like so many of them I probably won't know until I go to the store and let a moment's whimsy guide my hand

Know that feeling dude, my Tau/Harlequins were the result of me staring at the 40k wall too long with a student grant burning in my pocket.

Out of curiousity, what armies if any have taken your fancy in particular?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm just figuring out what I'd need to get started doing modeling. I have no idea what army I'd start with, I'd like so many of them I probably won't know until I go to the store and let a moment's whimsy guide my hand

Well you're in the right place if you have any questions about playstyles :)

Also check out the Painting Thread, the OP is full of good info and the regulars there are more than happy to share tips and help.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

What do I actually need to assemble some Warhammer 40k models? Can I get away with just nippers, exacto knife and plastic cement? I don't actually need a dedicated mold line tool, I can just do the mold lines with an exacto knife, right?

Assembly is easy. You want some flush clippers, an x-acto, plastic glue and superglue. That's it.

Painting is much harder and having good tools for painting REALLY helps. Assembly though is easy and you can do it well with whatever's in your garage.

Dedicated mold line tool is definitely not required by any means. I even have one and prefer an x-acto in almost all cases.

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble gooble gobble.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Guy Goodbody posted:

What do I actually need to assemble some Warhammer 40k models? Can I get away with just nippers, exacto knife and plastic cement? I don't actually need a dedicated mold line tool, I can just do the mold lines with an exacto knife, right?

Use the back side of the exacto for mold lines.

Also get one of these guys
http://m.harborfreight.com/jumbo-helping-hands-with-led-lights-65779.html

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mango sentinel posted:

Use the back side of the exacto for mold lines.

I use the front side myself, just really gingerly.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SteelMentor posted:

Know that feeling dude, my Tau/Harlequins were the result of me staring at the 40k wall too long with a student grant burning in my pocket.

Out of curiousity, what armies if any have taken your fancy in particular?

I like Space Marines(Black Templars or Blood Angels) and Chaos Space Marines(pretty much any of them except Word Bearers). or Sisters, but those probably aren't happening very soon.

ijyt posted:

Well you're in the right place if you have any questions about playstyles

Also check out the Painting Thread, the OP is full of good info and the regulars there are more than happy to share tips and help.

thanks for the link. I'm gonna pick an army based purely on fluff and aesthetic appeal, because I know I'm gonna spend way more time building and painting the models than actually playing with them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

For painting 101 when you get to it Guy Goodbody:

get a magnifying glass / lamp combo. Really helps.

get some kinda hand-held block of something. Some people use bits of wood, I use a really tiny tupperware container. Something you can stick a model to so you don't hold the model by its base, which is flimsy. Something big and meaty you can wrap your hand around, so you aren't using your finger muscles but instead your wrist muscles to hold it. Much more stable.

Get some solid brushes, in particular a nice medium size brush and a good fine detail brush. The others are more optional. If you try to use one brush to do everything you'll either glob paint on the details or you'll have too small a brush for big surfaces and you'll rush and end up globbing. Gotta use the right size tool for the job at hand.

Get either some primer spray paint or an airbrush. Airbrush is expensive and requires skillz so probably start with spray can, its easy to use. Coat your models with a nice even layer of primer. (Do it outside and bring some newspaper to put down)

Grey plastic doesn't take paint very well. Once you get that layer of primer on there, the paint "sticks" to the model and its MUCH easier.

Black is a good base primer color (unless you want really light pastel colors), although you can also try to get colored primer. If you're painting blood angels and you use red primer, you can skip the first basecoat!

Get yourself a nice palette. I use a chunk of porcelain that I dip paints on. You MUST water down your paints. NEVER paint directly from pots. It will look bad. Water them down until you get the right consistency. Wet palettes are a better option that require building or buying, but keep you from wasting paint as they dry out.

Check out the official GW "how to paint" youtube series which is really, REALLY good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?GamesWorkshopWNT

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like Space Marines(Black Templars or Blood Angels) and Chaos Space Marines(pretty much any of them except Word Bearers). or Sisters, but those probably aren't happening very soon.

Blood Angels and CSMs, a man after my own heart!

I'll give you the heads' up now: CSMs are in a terrible place competitively. Like super bad. The models look amazing though and there's loooots of rumors that CSMs are gonna get a new codex(es) soon, so that could change, but... yeah.

Right now SMs are the most popular faction so get a lot more love. The most competitive factions are Tau and Eldar at the moment. Orks and CSMs and Sisters are in the worst spot.

Sisters are nearly impossible to field unless you mix them with SMs or Guard, there's just not enough options. There's some cool stuff in there and I love the sisters conceptually. Hopefully the recent sisters of silence models mean they might come back / get updated, but it doesn't look too likely.

When I first played I did Blood Angels, and they or the Black Templars would do you pretty good as a starting force. But if you don't care about being competitive CSMs have that wicked metal look :black101:

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Zark the Damned posted:

Welp, that didn't take long. Formations for taking Sisters of Silence and Custodes in Battleforged games: https://www.games-workshop.com/reso...DATESISTERRULES
I'm DATESISTERRULES.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nichol posted:

I'm DATESISTERRULES.
Gross.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is there any limit on the number of allies I can have?

Wondering how much of a disaster it would be as I grow my collection to just field an army of every model I own from like five armies.

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Clippers, exacto knife, plastic cement...I'd also grab some super glue (I prefer Loctite Gel Control) since it's cheap and sometimes a better alternative to plastic cement. Having a file is nice too, but not strictly necessary.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Wondering how much of a disaster it would be as I grow my collection to just field an army of every model I own from like five armies.

Nope.

Only possible disaster is lack of synergy and possible One Eye Open checks.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Gonna play my first match of GW Kill Team as opposed to HoR Kill Team. Any points of advice from people who've played?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

More which allies. There's a whole alliance chart, so like eldar and dark eldar are buddy buddy, but if you try to field space marines and chaos space marines, they're basically opposing forces who are choosing to shoot the enemy first; they dont' play nice with each other and cause problems. You have to keep them spread apart, make checks for situations, etc.

As for number of allies, that's more about detachments and force organization. If you're playing unbound you just throw whatever you want on there, sure.
Can you have unlimited allied detachments? I can't remember if its limited... (although even then you could use other formations)

mango sentinel posted:

I'm basically doing that though using kill team rules, collecting 4 different armies. In particular, HoR kill team, which I like better than GW's version.
You just need a a few units to make a good Kill Team so its not as expensive as a full 40k army.
Then you can play your different kill teams against each other, and if you really like one then you can grow it further into a full army.

Depends upon who you have to play with though and what they're into.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 28, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

More which allies. There's a whole alliance chart, so like eldar and dark eldar are buddy buddy, but if you try to field space marines and chaos space marines, they're basically opposing forces who are choosing to shoot the enemy first; they dont' play nice with each other and cause problems. You have to keep them spread apart, make checks for situations, etc.

As for number of allies, that's more about detachments and force organization. If you're playing unbound you just throw whatever you want on there, sure.
Can you have unlimited allied detachments? I can't remember if its limited... (although even then you could use other formations)

I'm basically doing that though using kill team rules, collecting 4 different armies. In particular, HoR kill team, which I like better than GW's version.
You just need a a few units to make a good Kill Team so its not as expensive as a full 40k army.
Then you can play your different kill teams against each other, and if you really like one then you can grow it further into a full army.

Depends upon who you have to play with though and what they're into.

I'm well aware of the ally chart, I was just curious about how many you could run.

SM, Tau, Eldar, Ork doesn't seem the most disastrous combo, but my main concern would be fitting people in deployment. I'm not firm on how reserves work but if I can drop pod Marines that might help. Is there an Eldar HQ that lets you formation Wraithguard as Troops?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Does anyone in this thread play harlequins and could give me some advice?

I bought Death Masque and I am looking to make an army around 1500 points. I am wondering if it is necessary to ally Dark Eldar/Eldar? Also how confusing would it be if I keep the Harlequins color scheme with the Allies? Honestly mostly interested in the look of Harlequins, but want to give my friends at least some challenge on the table.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I'm well aware of the ally chart, I was just curious about how many you could run.

SM, Tau, Eldar, Ork doesn't seem the most disastrous combo, but my main concern would be fitting people in deployment. I'm not firm on how reserves work but if I can drop pod Marines that might help. Is there an Eldar HQ that lets you formation Wraithguard as Troops?

Reserves just requires you to hold the unit back in reserves and deploy them later based on rolling for when they show up. Special units with infiltrate or deep strike get to spawn on the board instead of the table edge. Drop pod is the way to go since you get to deep strike but avoid dice roll calamity destroying your unit. Yeah, that could help you keep the SMs seperate from the Orks to avoid the ally restrictions. Or infiltrate would work too, but only some models can do that. (Infiltrate is like deep strike but without rolling for reserves, shows up right away)

I'm not positive but one of the Eldar factions has "lots of wraithguards" as their thing, (Iyanden?) so there's gotta be either a rule that lets you take lots of them or formations that just let you take tons of them outside of a CAD. Gotta be something.

E: Looks like taking a Spiritseeker HQ does it

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 28, 2016

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PantsOptional posted:

Gonna play my first match of GW Kill Team as opposed to HoR Kill Team. Any points of advice from people who've played?

I've had a lot of luck taking a Razorback and 5 Sternguard. Not many armies bring long range anti tank in 200 points, and those that do seldom bring AP2.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Oh, I hadn't even thought of that - I have a Razorback turret sitting ready waiting to be painted and popped into a socket. I was going to wait to put Assault Cannons into it but I can just as easily convert that up later. Good call!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

IMPORTANT: Do not give GW money for glue/hobby tools or at all.
They're cheaper and better elsewhere.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'll ask here since it got glossed over in the painting thread.

What do you guys use for palettes?

My makeshift wet palette makes my paint maybe too watery. My cheapo plastic circle palette dries paint immediately.

What's Duncan using in those tutorial videos? It looks like foam board.

PS I am in love with Duncan.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

mango sentinel posted:

My makeshift wet palette makes my paint maybe too watery. My cheapo plastic circle palette dries paint immediately.

I ended up buying a wet palette because it's easy and cheap. The one Privateer Press makes is nice.

Duncan is way too attractive to be working at GW.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Well, maybe he's just attractive enough.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

mango sentinel posted:

Ive been using a folded piece of printer paper for eight years.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Dude I totally answered this stuff for the other guy just a sec ago

I use a piece of porcelain, works great. Paint doesn't stick at all, just wash it off afterwards.

If you really want to get serious, build a wet palette and save money on paints.

Duncan's great but he has a tendency to say the exact same lines in each video, probably a requirement from marketing or something, but it gets annoying when you watch a few of them and start to recognize it.

"So now we're going to use a wash, which is really runny and will run into all those cracks and give it loads of detail, really make it pop" - can we put that in a painting 101 video and then skip it in the individual model videos? Kthx. Minor complaint though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SRM posted:

Hey hams, I wanted to introduce my new channel, CAMHAMMER:

I've been wanting to give something back to the gaming community for a while now, and I thought that producing high quality video content would really do the trick. I'm making the kind of content I want to see, and I'm hoping you all enjoy it too! My first video's a Dawn of War review, and you can check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puAQsWyops0

I'll be uploading every other Thursday with a new video! The channel will have:
- Army Showcases, showing off armies that see battle in my community, with the army’s creator describing their processes and reasoning behind the army
- Tutorials showing how to paint the armies from the showcases, with concise step by step instructions so you can follow along
- Plastic and Pixels, a show about video games based on tabletop games, comparing them to the source material and seeing how they stack up
- Event Reports, where I put on my journalist cap and report on gaming events I’ve gone to
- Battle Reports, edited and narrated after the fact so you’re not stuck watching an hour and a half of dudes rolling dice with crappy audio
And more to come!

Subscribe on Youtube or like the Camhammer page on Facebook for more updates, or just wait for me to post em here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Hd9_8GYNPVLGtD1sEDK_A
https://www.facebook.com/camhammershow

I just watched one of your vids, good editing, good voiceover! Very chill, would recommend, A++++!

Also you know me well. "Chances are, you already have Dawn of War installed, and chances are after this you're going to go play a round of skirmish" Yes sir!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Does anyone in this thread play harlequins and could give me some advice?

I bought Death Masque and I am looking to make an army around 1500 points. I am wondering if it is necessary to ally Dark Eldar/Eldar? Also how confusing would it be if I keep the Harlequins color scheme with the Allies? Honestly mostly interested in the look of Harlequins, but want to give my friends at least some challenge on the table.

Pretty neccessary. Harlies are fun but since they're such a small codex they don't really have the tools to deal with aircraft or heavier vehicles. Consider taking some Craftworld Wraith-stuff to be the anvil to your Clowns' hammer, or Dark Eldar with Dark Lances and Blasters to pop armour.

On the second point, paint them whatever crazy way you fancy. Just make sure they look just distinct enough so people can't accuse you of painting for advantage or whatever salty nerd bullshit.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

PierreTheMime posted:

Ive been using a folded piece of printer paper for eight years.
That piece of paper must be a foot deep in paint

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Here's my palette: https://www.amazon.com/Darice-10-We...rcelain+palette

$10

Similar porcelain ones on amazon work great and a pretty cheap. Infinitely reusable too. Holds a nice bit of paint, and you can use the little walls of the buckets to kinda work out excess paint in your brush and make sure you get just the right amount.

But the real way to go is a wet palette and I really need to make one, I've been too lazy.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude I totally answered this stuff for the other guy just a sec ago

I use a piece of porcelain, works great. Paint doesn't stick at all, just wash it off afterwards.

If you really want to get serious, build a wet palette and save money on paints.

Duncan's great but he has a tendency to say the exact same lines in each video, probably a requirement from marketing or something, but it gets annoying when you watch a few of them and start to recognize it.

"So now we're going to use a wash, which is really runny and will run into all those cracks and give it loads of detail, really make it pop" - can we put that in a painting 101 video and then skip it in the individual model videos? Kthx. Minor complaint though.

Bob Ross repeated the same poo poo all the time too. You do that because it might be the first episode someone is watching and might not have a clue.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Star Man posted:

Bob Ross repeated the same poo poo all the time too. You do that because it might be the first episode someone is watching and might not have a clue.

Yeah, I get that. (Good example) But seems like with the youtube format you could just say "if you haven't before, check out the painting 101 video first, link below"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I get that. (Good example) But seems like with the youtube format you could just say "if you haven't before, check out the painting 101 video first, link below"

And that new hobbyist may refer to the old video or not. Or they could get the video link wrong or something. It's easier to just spell it out every time. The only people it annoys are those familiar with the discourse already.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zaphod42 posted:

As a new person I like the repetition. It reinforces that stuff, and that those things are important.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Tough choices now. I didn't realize Raptors got army wide scout which is half the reason to go White Scars with the Khan. Unfortunately I can't take the Hunter's Eye if he is my warlord, which is largely the point. I could see why mixing in a conclave with a SnP Devastator squad could be pretty drat nasty.

Still unsure on the fliers, although it would save me a lot of painting since I have a built Stormwing. Looks like I some experimental list building to juggle around, let me know how it goes. I've seen some high placing lists that swap the anti-air force in for the auxiliary.

Part of me is consider Ultramarines BC like yours but with Tigurius thrown into the conclave. I know he is expensive but if I go ML1 on the other two psykers it might more than make up for it given his rerolling powers...

Fliers actually do something. I really hate the AA formation. It does so little in most matchups and can super be played around. I'd take scouts before them, no question. Losing the eye sucks but an auspex makes up quite a bit of ground.

And Ultras give you nothing but doctrines. Scout super makes the BC. the deployment options matter so much.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'd love to have a button that blares "THIN YOUR GODDAMN PAINTS" on a continuous loop while I'm giving painting lessons/advice.

You'd think years of memes and common wisdom would drill this into people, but you'll see people who've been in the hobby for years who never seem to learn such a basic thing like that. Or stuff like priming models, or cleaning brushes, or...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've been painting for decades, but I still appreciate every time the GW painting guide on YouTube gently reminds me to use two thin coats for coverage.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

Fliers actually do something. I really hate the AA formation. It does so little in most matchups and can super be played around. I'd take scouts before them, no question. Losing the eye sucks but an auspex makes up quite a bit of ground.

And Ultras give you nothing but doctrines. Scout super makes the BC. the deployment options matter so much.

Yeah, but if I'm sticking a Conclave in the pod with the glorious Captain then that means one Librarian is going to have to ride in another drop pod to stay close if I want that sweat 2+ warp charge. Also Ultramarines with Tiggy greatly increases my odds of getting a useful power, and his refoll reserves ability makes that Stormwing much more likely to arrive on my terms, as well as any other pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

moths posted:

I've been painting for decades, but I still appreciate every time the GW painting guide on YouTube gently reminds me to use two thin coats for coverage.

Duncan turning into a meme is one of the best things around 40k currently

thin your paints everyone

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 29, 2016

• Locked thread