Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's not good, tolerable at best, and only since we have fast internet and powerful computers, and companies enforcing performance budgets on websites. there is no sane reason for average web page, images and videos excluding, to be 452 kilobytes large

You're right. I'm removing these lovely crypto dependencies. I'm pretty sure I can get useful crypto in like 100 lines. I'll save so much on server resources!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it's not good, tolerable at best, and only since we have fast internet and powerful computers, and companies enforcing performance budgets on websites. there is no sane reason for average web page, images and videos excluding, to be 452 kilobytes large

Using libraries indiscriminately leads to left-pad syndrome

Not using libraries when you should leads to a huge mess of unmaintain(ed|able) garbage code

Both are really bad

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Basically, dont be a computer toucher.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

You're right. I'm removing these lovely crypto dependencies. I'm pretty sure I can get useful crypto in like 100 lines. I'll save so much on server resources!

Arcsech posted:

Not using libraries when you should leads to a huge mess of unmaintain(ed|able) garbage code

Both are really bad
if i really have to clarify, for whatever infathomable reasons, then i did mean not slamming 20 libraries of cosmetic garbage with half a dozen seo/analytics plugins when you can just learn to use google analytics or something like a normal person and spend some time reading the reference manual of whatever works well atm, rather than following a 3 hour long youtube coding tutorial on angular react XVIII for which you code in drakon and then transpile it through chain of javascript supersets to target you precious snowflake es1337 when you are trying to make a new layout for your personal blog and integrate google translate into it's pages

rolling your own security or performance critical components is dumb even if you're 219x growth hacker from ninja dynansty. adding an external library when you can't be arsed to take some time to read is dumb too, that is the point i am trying to make

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hmm

sometimes libraries are good

sometimes libraries are bad

and you have to apply experience and judgment in order to effectively do a programming because that's kind of what programmers do when it comes down to it

makes

u think

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

hmm

sometimes libraries are good

sometimes libraries are bad

and you have to apply experience and judgment in order to effectively do a programming because that's kind of what programmers do when it comes down to it

makes

u think
i wonder if there could be approaches to learning programming that prioritise development of analytical over mechanical abilities

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Arcsech posted:

Both are really bad

I guess using libraries "indiscriminately" has only been an issue I've seen with js devs (web and node). Even with the spectre of nuget looming large over the .NET side, I really haven't seen those kinds of shenanigans.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i wonder if there could be approaches to learning programming that prioritise development of analytical over mechanical abilities

Teach software design the same way we teach creative writing.

Not even kidding.

Get your first ten software design fuckups out of your system as quickly as possible.

(note: nuts and bolts programming knowledge and software design are two separate but equally important skills)

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Teach software design the same way we teach creative writing.

Not even kidding.

Get your first ten software design fuckups out of your system as quickly as possible.

(note: nuts and bolts programming knowledge and software design are two separate but equally important skills)

agreed. write a lot of software, read software that others have written.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
a lot of programs don't even teach anything about how to organize complicated software

this book is p interesting http://aosabook.org/en/intro1.html

e: better link

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MSPain posted:

a lot of programs don't even teach anything about how to organize complicated software

this book is p interesting http://aosabook.org/en/intro1.html

e: better link

this looks like an extremely pro click, thanks

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
:tipshat:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thankplotlib

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

O.O

>_>

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eh im perfectly chill with 0.0 being there instead of 0, but certainly not with matplotlib placing it around 1 MHz

e: found the problem, there was a destructive operation earlier in the loop

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 28, 2016

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

Back when Angular was the new hotness your main choices were Angular, Ember, and Backbone. What if you'd gone toot toot all aboard the Backbone train? You'd probably have been hosed a lot sooner since the support for those two withered and died much quicker.

tech things tend to steadily build momentum and then have a Big Bang phase where there's insane amounts of churn but also breakneck progress for about five years. Then everybody kind of settles on who and what the winners were. This poo poo has been going on a lot longer than five years with JS.

there was also knockout which was the best. angular was and is trash

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
angular 1 was so incredibly bad in a totally pernicious way. it inherently lends itself to unmaintainable trash. gently caress me i'm so glad i don't do any webdev anymore.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
we use knockout at work and it still rules. it tries to not do too much which is really rare for a js framework.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

MSPain posted:

we use knockout at work and it still rules. it tries to not do too much which is really rare for a js framework.

I feel the same about handlebars.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i woke up this morning with 219 new emails, lol

also it's because our latest release is hosed, lol

HoboMan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 28, 2016

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

http://programming.witheve.com/

lmao

every goddamn time someone reinvents programming starting with the premise "programming is so GOSH DARN COMPLICATED! why dont we make it NOT SO GOSH DARN COMPLICATED!" you know its gonna be great

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HoboMan posted:

i woke up this morning with 219 new emails, lol

also it's because our latest release is hosed, lol

The clutch move in this situation is to roll everything back to previous version and remind everyone that nothing should be deployed on a Friday. Then, sit back and read tech blogs or whatever and worry about fixing it on Monday.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

http://programming.witheve.com/

lmao

every goddamn time someone reinvents programming starting with the premise "programming is so GOSH DARN COMPLICATED! why dont we make it NOT SO GOSH DARN COMPLICATED!" you know its gonna be great

quote:

Prose and then code

How about No and then gently caress No. I have barely enough energy each day to smash my face on the keyboard until a line of code pops out, I'm not going to spend my precious effort on writing a novella around my code. If my manager came to me with this poo poo and was like "we're switching to this" I'd probably quit.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so it's like markdown except the code in it compiles?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Also I haven't read it in depth but it looks like it has a database engine built in, which immediately makes me think of mumps

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Literate programming is invariably bullshit, but I can totally get on board with the idea of an IDE that allows comments to be something more than just differently-coloured text. I don't see why it can't be done with a real language instead of their special snowflake poo poo, though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Literate programming is invariably bullshit, but I can totally get on board with the idea of an IDE that allows comments to be something more than just differently-coloured text. I don't see why it can't be done with a real language, though.
my terrible programer protip for pycharm: you can make comments with blue text if you prepend TODO: to them :v:

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 28, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

NihilCredo posted:

Literate programming is invariably bullshit, but I can totally get on board with the idea of an IDE that allows comments to be something more than just differently-coloured text. I don't see why it can't be done with a real language instead of their special snowflake poo poo, though.

inform 7 is a DSL for interactive fiction that does this

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

NihilCredo posted:

In rust you can put code/test cases in your documentation. It gets compiled (and executed if it's a test)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'm surprised that Visual Studio hasn't enabled richtext comments wrapped in /**/ with lovely Word html or something. Seems like something MS would do.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would be kind of nice to have rich text comments that were then saved as the normal xml comments.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Shaggar posted:

it would be kind of nice to have rich text comments that were then saved as the normal xml comments.

In theory... but that would be hard to execute without it dumping weird garbage all over your file. Keep my git merges clean, please.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
c# already has formatted comments, but they're written as xml so what I was suggesting was instead of writing the xml you get a rich text editor that writes the xml for you from the rich text. it would be a function of the IDE

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can just learn to use google analytics or something like a normal person

(which is an external javascript library)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wheany posted:

(which is an external javascript library)
one, which is exactly the point i make, as many sites these days will run up to like 8 analytic modules at once

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gonadic io posted:

In rust you can put code/test cases in your documentation. It gets compiled (and executed if it's a test)

Confirming that this owns.

Also on a related note testing in Rust owns in general.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

Also on a related note Rust owns in general.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
vue is just a 2016 knockout knockoff

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

one, which is exactly the point i make, as many sites these days will run up to like 8 analytic modules at once

Having had to implement poo poo like that, I can tell you that's not a dev problem, that's an upper management and/or client problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

Having had to implement poo poo like that, I can tell you that's not a dev problem, that's an upper management and/or client problem.
fair point, they also usually aren't the "bad javascript" since big money behind at least tries to have everything written well. the sites that budget their performance etc are seldom something i even notice, unless there is a sluggish something on ux or it is whatever hot take forbes has figured out to fight ad blockers and increase their brand engagement. it's "physical boilerplate" that comes with javascript, and can sometimes be felt in smaller websites, which again is not really fault of people who are learning javascript, but rather than implicit consequence of the whole techbro web design wave and continuous rise of relevance of the web, when there is loads of javascript libraries that build on a simple, nice, idea, but then overextend themselves. like skyrim mods basically, here's this nice chainmail armour for your horse, and please keep in mind that this mod also adds a new island, swaps two cities in places, rebalances magic, and removes non-nords from skyrim

• Locked thread