Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I imagine "pre-law" is just some combination of philosophy and political science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

quote:

Chafin played in nine of 13 games the following season, including the opener. He was charged with marijuana possession in March and suspended by Briles immediately for spring practice before being reinstated to the team.

This is one of my favorite things about this whole mess. Rape/beat on women all you want, but my god if you smoke a joint there will be consequences.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Chilichimp posted:

I imagine "pre-law" is just some combination of philosophy and political science.

I don't think it's an actual major anywhere. Just a self important way to announce that while you're studying poli sci/history/whatever, you plan on going to law school after undergrad.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Grittybeard posted:

This is one of my favorite things about this whole mess. Rape/beat on women all you want, but my god if you smoke a joint there will be consequences.

Coaches only care about things that impact the team. And the NCAA doesn't subject athletes to random rape testing.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Thoguh posted:

I don't think it's an actual major anywhere. Just a self important way to announce that while you're studying poli sci/history/whatever, you plan on going to law school after undergrad.

Pre-Law is generally a track but not quite a major in and of itself, like you are a bio major on a pre-med track

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Still don't see anything wrong that happened, and when Clinton loses the election this will magically go away for some reason.. weird... it can't be that it was made up completely by the Clintons, could it? I'm just asking corn fried beef questions and watching young'ns play football for food and gas money.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

No, there are pre-law programs at state schools in GA, at least. Just like "Pre-med" programs. They're worthless on their own, but it's generally a program designed to prepare you for progressing to law school.

I don't understand the hostility towards it ITT, it's not more or less valuable than any other piece of poo poo liberal arts degree.

edit: It's not "a degree" it's a program. I don't know what undergrad degree you'd actually get from going through the program, like I said it's probably a combination of poly-sci and philosophy.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 13, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Pre Law and Religion?

I thought religion was pre-law. :haw:

Chilichimp posted:

0 philosophy and 100% poli sci

now, let me tell you about the ethics:mrgw:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Chilichimp posted:

edit: It's not "a degree" it's a program. I don't know what undergrad degree you'd actually get from going through the program, like I said it's probably a combination of poly-sci and philosophy.

quote:

While majors in Political Science, History, and Business are common for pre-law students, we have seen majors from nearly every discipline including, but not limited to: Science, Math, Agriculture, Music, and Art.
https://prelaw.uga.edu/faqs

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

I don't understand the hostility towards it ITT, it's not more or less valuable than any other piece of poo poo liberal arts degree.

:wrong:

It's got to be more valuable than a Chinese philosophy degree.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

:wrong:

It's got to be more valuable than a Chinese philosophy degree.

If you're a Chinese philosphy major, you probably speak fluent Chinese and can read it. There is a helluva demand for those in media.

Go get paid, son.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

If you're a Chinese philosphy major, you probably speak fluent Chinese and can read it. There is a helluva demand for those in media.

Go get paid, son.

Yeah, you don't usually learn 2000 year old Chinese in an undergrad class...

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, you don't usually learn 2000 year old Chinese in an undergrad class...

I'm assuming "Chinese Philosophy" is more of a masters specialization on the road to a doctorate in Crane-based caligraphy in Asian textualism.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chilichimp posted:

I'm assuming "Chinese Philosophy" is more of a masters specialization on the road to a doctorate in Crane-based caligraphy in Asian textualism.

More just reading Confucius and pretending he isn't retarded as poo poo.

I just remembered hermeneutics and triggered myself. gently caress.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 13, 2016

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum
Pre-law is a dumb and bad major for practical reasons. Law schools are inundated with applications from pre-law and poli sci applicants. You have to really work hard to stand out and get accepted. I had a degree in aerospace engineering. I was different (strange? weird?) enough from the other applicants that I got into a good law school pretty easily, even with a good (not excellent) undergrad GPA.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Chilichimp posted:

No, there are pre-law programs at state schools in GA, at least. Just like "Pre-med" programs. They're worthless on their own, but it's generally a program designed to prepare you for progressing to law school.

Because, speaking as a lawyer, it's really stupid. It limits you for the purpose of being able to brag (which lol)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Bacon Taco posted:

Pre-law is a dumb and bad major for practical reasons. Law schools are inundated with applications from pre-law and poli sci applicants. You have to really work hard to stand out and get accepted. I had a degree in aerospace engineering. I was different (strange? weird?) enough from the other applicants that I got into a good law school pretty easily, even with a good (not excellent) undergrad GPA.

Oh no way! You're gonna have a badass job offer. I used to work in aviation insurance litigation and man - so many lawyer jobs required that degree and SO many struggled to find qualified candidates

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
with HIllary's election nearly a sure thing I cannot tell you how loving giddy I am for a Hillary Clinton DoJ to be the one to investigate Ken Starr and Baylor. bet you that fucker never thought he'd have to pay the piper.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oh no way! You're gonna have a badass job offer. I used to work in aviation insurance litigation and man - so many lawyer jobs required that degree and SO many struggled to find qualified candidates

Huh, maybe I should have become a lawyer.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
It's similar with med school, like about half my class had degrees in biology or biochemistry. About 35% had a degree in some other science, and the rest were in humanities or business. I got two degrees, one in philosophy and one in physics and they were much more interested in my philosophy degree. Professional schools now are looking more and more for non-traditional students since poli sci (for law school) or biology (for med school) are literally all over the place.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i know it's not much but when i saw that the browns had art briles in to help at practice, i went to their website and submitted the user feedback form and said i wasn't supporting the NFL in any way until he's gone

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Some students made a sweeping it under the rug float for Baylor's homecoming:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/baylorbears/2016/10/15/baylor-homecoming-parade-features-sweeping-rug-float

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Proud Christian Mom posted:

with HIllary's election nearly a sure thing I cannot tell you how loving giddy I am for a Hillary Clinton DoJ to be the one to investigate Ken Starr and Baylor. bet you that fucker never thought he'd have to pay the piper.

Hmm .. intredasting.. almost like.. its manufactured by the Clintons and she got a bit greedy thinking she already won but when abylor win thes CHAMP everyone will know whats what

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Title IX investigation officially opened: http://www.wacotrib.com/news/higher_education/baylor-under-federal-title-ix-investigation/article_010fef1f-d7cf-5501-9ba9-5fbfb4dbbb8b.html

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh you done hosed up now, Baylor. The NCAA is one thing, the DOJ is quite another.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oh you done hosed up now, Baylor. The NCAA is one thing, the DOJ is quite another.

:fap:

Let the bloodbath begin.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Thermos H Christ posted:

It's also another thing from the DoE, which is the entity doing the investigation.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
And it just got worse

http://www.ourdailybears.com/2016/10/28/13460898/wsj----baylor-details-horrifying-alleged-sexual-assaults-by-football-players

quote:

The sexual-violence scandal at Baylor University that cost its celebrated football coach his job involved 17 women who reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes, since 2011, according to Baylor regents.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Hey, they're only averaging one reported gang rape a year. :v:

Burn it all down with the football team and staff locked inside.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The ole' October Surprise

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Also if the allegation in the Wall Street Journal that Briles knew about one of the incidents and didn't report it to the police or the school is true, I honestly doubt he'll ever coach again. Even if this whole process ends without him getting show-caused, that's way too toxic.

I also have question for people better versed in insurance and university administration than me. if a university knowing hires an individual with a documented history of ignoring sexual assault for such a prominent position would that affect the rates for the liability insurance most schools buy? Because if I was an underwriter, I would be very very wary of being on the hook for Briles in the future.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

WSJ commenters twisting themselves into pretzels trying to blame everything at Baylor on liberals.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anals of History posted:

WSJ commenters twisting themselves into pretzels trying to blame everything at Baylor on liberals.

Just like the OP trying to blame anyone but the people who did the raping.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

#TeamOutlaw

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

This is fake, right?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

That's what i get for not GIS-ing.

Yeah the original says "KILL." I guess that's better.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

pillsburysoldier posted:

That's what i get for not GIS-ing.

Yeah the original says "KILL." I guess that's better.

It says a lot about Baylor that I had to seriously question whether or not a group of frat boys would paint "RAPE" on their chests and go to a game. I don't blame you for just posting that.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Chichevache posted:

This is fake, right?

Dude you can't tell?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Regnevelc posted:

Dude you can't tell?

I was phoneposting. It was less obvious on a smaller screen. Also: Baylor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mark Schlabach posted:

Baylor University on Tuesday launched a Web site to provide more details about the sexual assault scandal that led to the firings of university president Kenneth Starr and football coach Art Briles and the resignation of athletics director Ian McCaw this summer.

In an open letter to Baylor alumni and students that was obtained by ESPN on Tuesday, interim president David E. Garland wrote that he "directed the University to be more transparent wherever possible about the sexual assault crisis that has severely impacted our campus, our alumni and the entire Baylor family."

"Both the Administration and the Board of Regents are taking this step because we came to understand that, in order to heal, the Baylor family needs more information about what happened and why," Garland wrote.

Garland said the Web site, https://www.baylor.edu/thetruth , will provide details about what happened at Baylor and the school's efforts to learn from its mistakes.

• Locked thread