Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
Mayan Mocha finally in Chicago :guinness:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

internet celebrity posted:

Everything else was great and met expectations (2015 Rare is fantastic right now) except for Pot and Kettle which was weirdly thin and dry. Maybe it was just a bad bottle because it seems to be well regarded. Also wasn't crazy about 13 and 14 BCBBW.

you are right about one thing and wrong about the other two.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Who else in here is in the Ale Apothecary Ale Club?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

bartolimu posted:

Not gonna change the thread title again just yet, but this would be a pretty great one.

Has anyone tried any Lengthwise stuff made in the last month or two? I'm curious if Kyle Smith (previously of Kern River) has made any changes/improvements already. I'll have some fresh intel after I visit them in a couple of weeks if nobody else has. After that, Firestone and Barrelhouse plus some wineries, then a night in Buellton for FW Barrelworks, then (if my sub-1 stomach pH doesn't dissolve me from the inside out) Anaheim for a couple of days and some probably-ridiculous bottle shares.

I was up there on the way to the CA Craft Beer summit and their stuff was tasting...fine. They were cleared out of all of their newer IPAs and all of the stuff that was on was the classic bitter piney C hop.

That being said the announcement about Kyle came out the day we went there so I don't think he had done much of anything at Lengthwise yet.

the yellow dart posted:

I'm in north San Antonio for a week, any recommendations from the crowd? I'm close to a Big Hops and the Flying Saucer, but everything else seems a tad distant or uninteresting.

Spent a couple weeks in San Antonio and didn't have much luck with beer. Best thing I did was drive an hour to Austin and visit Jester King. Worth.

Freetail Brewpub is decent but nothing amazing.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

poverty.jpg $60/bottle

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

MunchE posted:

I was up there on the way to the CA Craft Beer summit and their stuff was tasting...fine. They were cleared out of all of their newer IPAs and all of the stuff that was on was the classic bitter piney C hop.

That being said the announcement about Kyle came out the day we went there so I don't think he had done much of anything at Lengthwise yet.

Spent a couple weeks in San Antonio and didn't have much luck with beer. Best thing I did was drive an hour to Austin and visit Jester King. Worth.

Freetail Brewpub is decent but nothing amazing.

I've drunk all the Jester King and Prarie distro I could find to some decent results. There are a few highlights that I've found (Knee Deep's Breaking Bud and Cedar Creek's Dankosaurus were both pretty solid IPAs) with the St. Arnold Barrel 15 being quite nice as well. Yellow Rose was predictably good and this Prarie BOMB! Nordaggios that I'm drinking right now is drat fine for a 13% stout. A place called GS1221 was a good area to hang my hat for a few brews on Saturday too, nice little beer bar north of downtown.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I completely forgot to mention, but Aqua Predator from Off Color is one of the best farmhouse ales I have had in a long time and I would put it up against most of *insert highly acclaimed farmhouse brewery*.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

the yellow dart posted:

I've drunk all the Jester King and Prarie distro I could find to some decent results. There are a few highlights that I've found (Knee Deep's Breaking Bud and Cedar Creek's Dankosaurus were both pretty solid IPAs) with the St. Arnold Barrel 15 being quite nice as well. Yellow Rose was predictably good and this Prarie BOMB! Nordaggios that I'm drinking right now is drat fine for a 13% stout. A place called GS1221 was a good area to hang my hat for a few brews on Saturday too, nice little beer bar north of downtown.

JK is just a gorgeous brewery - really cool property and actually what people picture when they think "farmhouse brewery"

Also I was driving over to Gabriel's Superstore which had a better selection than the random Spec's I was going nearby, so that might be worth a gander.

Personally my favorite thing I did in SA was go to the Alamo Drafthouse and watch rad movies while drinking beer and OK food

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

MunchE posted:

Personally my favorite thing I did in SA was go to the Alamo Drafthouse and watch rad movies while drinking beer and OK food

"The official state meal of Oklahoma consists of fried okra, cornbread, barbecue pork, squash, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries (state fruit), chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas."

doesn't sound bad at all, but that's a lot to eat

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Fat Lou posted:

I completely forgot to mention, but Aqua Predator from Off Color is one of the best farmhouse ales I have had in a long time and I would put it up against most of *insert highly acclaimed farmhouse brewery*.

I had it over the weekend and thought it was fine. But I'm not the biggest farmhouse ale fan unless it's soured. Hyper Predator, however, is loving amazing and I wish they made it year round.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.thebruerystore.com/

Black Tuesday is available for online purchase now. I wonder if its any good.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

politics aside, this article is pretty amazing

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

obi_ant posted:

https://www.thebruerystore.com/

Black Tuesday is available for online purchase now. I wonder if its any good.

20.3% ABV

WTF. Did they actually make this beer harder to drink than it was 4 years ago?

funkybottoms posted:

Fuckin' hobnobbin'.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

funkybottoms posted:

Very cool. For however else I might feel about him (aka 'largely uninformed for the state i live in'), he seems like a super nice guy who I'd love to chat with.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I've been un-busy on this thread. I work all the time these days, and when I drink I'm too busy doing that to post.

I will, however, be going on another wacky road trip this winter! :v: I'll be doing a lazy circle around the US, and so unless you're in CA (because that's another trip later), there's a very good chance I'll be nearby and will be happy to buy you a beer somewhere. New beer-related focuses this time around will include upstate NY, FL in general, and everything that's happened in Chicago since I last showed up 4 years ago.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

everything that's happened in Chicago since I last showed up 4 years ago.

Apparently the hottest brewery in the area is one of those lovely suburban sports bar brewery chains. gently caress beer.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

danbanana posted:

Apparently the hottest brewery in the area is one of those lovely suburban sports bar brewery chains. gently caress beer.

I should clarify when I talk about hitting Chicago that I mean hanging out in cool places in Chicago and drinking, not prowling unincorporated Naperville in my van or whatever. (I really wanna hit up the 5 rabbit location during open hours though.)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ChickenArise posted:

Very cool. For however else I might feel about him (aka 'largely uninformed for the state i live in'), he seems like a super nice guy who I'd love to chat with.

i've served them a few times at two jobs and he and his wife are genuinely nice people; they never asked for special treatment and you'd never guess that they were anyone important.

danbanana posted:

Fuckin' hobnobbin'.

i've had my picture taken with the governor, too!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I should clarify when I talk about hitting Chicago that I mean hanging out in cool places in Chicago and drinking, not prowling unincorporated Naperville in my van or whatever. (I really wanna hit up the 5 rabbit location during open hours though.)

You won't get trade bait doing that, man...

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Compusaurus posted:

Mayan Mocha finally in Chicago :guinness:

Jesus Christ how is it that time of year already. SEASONAL CREEP! oh wait it's less than a week away from halloween

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Anyone have access to Against the Grain. I'm originally from Louisville and looking to pick up Bo & Luke that's getting released.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Dbl post

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ugh, my friend is drinking one of the JK fruited spontaneous beers to celebrate his birthday and he says "line up now"

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

ugh, my friend is drinking one of the JK fruited spontaneous beers to celebrate his birthday and he says "line up now"

They're pouring a few of them this weekend at Sheltonfest. :dance:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Got a box of Trillium in from my dude today. Never and Again is so close to being a good beer but it finishes with a long, burning-plastic astringency. The new Dialed In is delicious. Lush, juicy Pinot Gris. But there's a little bit of that weird burn at the end again.

Maybe there's something up with this year's Galaxy harvest? Nothing like that with the can of Sigtebrød I'm currently drinking (Citra/Amarillo/Columbus), so it's nothing to do with Trillium's brewing technique, especially considering how consistent they always are. I dunno. Veil said their new batch of Dull Fangs had to go back to the drawing board due to hops not being up to their standards and that one's Galaxy-heavy as well, so maybe keep a critical eye on Galaxy IPAs for the next little while.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

poop dood posted:

especially considering how consistent they always are

The nerds in their BA thread are constantly complaining about consistency, so I dunno. The only thing I personally noticed was something that went wrong w/ their first batch of launch which had this malolactic cali chard thing going on. Their second batch was divine though.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

danbanana posted:

Yeah a bunch of douches are trying to make them A Thing when everything I've had from them is totally mediocre.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Uuudar posted:

Yeah a bunch of douches are trying to make them A Thing when everything I've had from them is totally mediocre.

How have I not heard of this? What brewery are we talking about?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

trauma llama posted:

How have I not heard of this? What brewery are we talking about?

Ram, in particular the one in Schaumburg. They got some notice when they released a "NE IPA" called Juicy a few months ago BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ALREADY BEERS CALLED THAT. Also some adjunct stouts.

I'm assuming each of their locations has their own brewing crew, but I stopped by their Wheeling location a couple years back to have a beer while waiting to meet people for dinner. I ordered their pale ale. It was served to me in a frosty mug and tasted like they blended Miller Lite and old Sculpin in equal amounts.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[looking over trading forums of the biggest whales brah while writing down similar sounding names]

Bourbon Barrel Aged Chaos
Bourbon Barrel Aged Chaos Coffee
Bourbon Barrel Aged Chaos Maple
Side Note (#1 Brewtella)
Side Note (#2 Gimme Samoa)
Side Note (#3 ChocoLatte)
Side Note (#4 S'more Luv)
Juicy

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Come check out our lineup of unique, complex beers such as Citra Milkshakornado and Bourbon Barrel Aged Maple Choco Surprise

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Is there a shipping beer internationally for dummies guide hidden somewhere on the internet (specifically sweden->US)? I got 5 bottles of outside the lines and figured I'd share some unless the cost of shipping is absurd.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

Control Volume posted:

[looking over trading forums of the biggest whales brah while writing down similar sounding names]

Does Bourbon Barrel Aged Chaos Coffee turn all green peppers and become Bourbon Barrel Aged Chaos Emerald?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Klaus Kinski posted:

Is there a shipping beer internationally for dummies guide hidden somewhere on the internet (specifically sweden->US)? I got 5 bottles of outside the lines and figured I'd share some unless the cost of shipping is absurd.

My understanding of international beer trading is it's mostly praying that customs doesn't seize your package. Way too nerve-wracking for me and why I don't have the balls to do it.

I did a BIAB order (Belgium to Texas) once and shipping was about $100 USD for 16 bottles of mixed 75/37.5cl bottles.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Control Volume posted:

Bourbon Barrel Aged Chaos
Bourbon Barrel Aged Chaos Coffee
Bourbon Barrel Aged Chaos Maple
Side Note (#1 Brewtella)
Side Note (#2 Gimme Samoa)
Side Note (#3 ChocoLatte)
Side Note (#4 S'more Luv)
Juicy

I'll be honest: I'm shocked it took breweries this long to do this. I think it really took til 2016 before entire breweries were started (or breweries changed their approach) entirely based on ISO:FTs. I know I posted this a while back, but a new Chicago "brewery" called Saint Errant had a booth at my local fest that literally looked like they scanned BA's trade forums and just marked what was getting the biggest interest and tried to brew that. Out of morbid curiosity, I tried a majority of their offerings and they ranged from above-average to disgusting. But as Prop 15 will attest to: how your beer tastes is less important than how it sounds when trading for it.

By the way, Saint Errant's most recent facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/SaintErrantBrewing/photos/a.266068473726397.1073741828.262938157372762/340379969628580/?type=3&theater

"Putting some stout in the barrel... in my eat-in kitchen."

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

air- posted:

My understanding of international beer trading is it's mostly praying that customs doesn't seize your package. Way too nerve-wracking for me and why I don't have the balls to do it.

I did a BIAB order (Belgium to Texas) once and shipping was about $100 USD for 16 bottles of mixed 75/37.5cl bottles.

Looks like its about $25 for a 340x215x115 mm box, I dunno if that's big enough to ship safely though.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

danbanana posted:

"Putting some stout in the barrel... in my eat-in kitchen."

Looking forward to fobab :waycool:

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Anyone here going to be at the Shelton Bros festival tonight? If you see a skinny dude with a red beard wearing a grey/blue button up, come say hey! It might be me!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Hell yeah, Celebration twelve packs were at the grocery store today. Still the best value beer out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Was just in Boston for a week and had lots of lovely east coast style IPAs with a special mention of Lost Nation Mosaic IPA which was insanely vegetal cucumber juice. Celebration was the best beer I had. I also drove 2.5 hours to OEC in the rain and snow and they showed me their amphorae and weird stuff they're burying underground. Was worth it.

And I know this has been asked a million times in this thread, but I'll be staying in Portland, OR for two weeks... Best bottle shops and beer bars? Absolute must see breweries (with a preference for sours/weird stuff)? I have a rental car so I can do some driving too

Jerome Louis fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 29, 2016