Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
dual wielding blue flames in ds2 was the coolest sorcery build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Trying a thing(s) on later play throughs and oh actually it's garbage then losing interest was my ds2 experience

Yeah, honestly once I power stanced two Ricard's Rapiers in DS2 I never needed to do anything ever again

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Another random example of dumb poo poo you could do in DS2: Two-hand the Sanctum Shield. It's a 100% phys block shield that can cast every non-Pyromancy spell. And it also inflicts significant Dark damage on people if you melee them with it. And that melee is all blocking frames too. People just don't know how to deal with it, pretty much the only counter is spamming guard break. Like it's actually kind of broken, though I hardly ever saw anybody use it. Only reason I tried it was because I was getting frustrated with some random DLC area and started shield bashing enemies with it and noticed it was actually bizarrely effective.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

dual wielding blue flames in ds2 was the coolest sorcery build

fighting lionmen with this build was mega annoying though

not that it mattered because you could just run past them since their area is comedically short

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, honestly once I power stanced two Ricard's Rapiers in DS2 I never needed to do anything ever again

that's not power stance heide lances with the offhand buffed w/ lightning weapon and the onhand buffed with resin

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Sapozhnik posted:

Another random example of dumb poo poo you could do in DS2: Two-hand the Sanctum Shield. It's a 100% phys block shield that can cast every non-Pyromancy spell. And it also inflicts significant Dark damage on people if you melee them with it. And that melee is all blocking frames too. People just don't know how to deal with it, pretty much the only counter is spamming guard break. Like it's actually kind of broken, though I hardly ever saw anybody use it. Only reason I tried it was because I was getting frustrated with some random DLC area and started shield bashing enemies with it and noticed it was actually bizarrely effective.

Speaking of dual-wielding, I think this moment happened to everyone at least once in DS2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH7xHF_B-DU&t=74s

Fereydun posted:

that's not power stance heide lances with the offhand buffed w/ lightning weapon and the onhand buffed with resin

lol "buffs"

I just farmed 10 Ricard Rapiers from the spiders and had one with every infusion in a utility belt

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Gravetender is a joke no matter what your build is. Its quite easy for him to die before his wolf pal even shows up to help.

Why the hell is his arena so big? You have all this space but there's no reason to ever go outside of the structure you start the fight under.

the camera is a reason

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, I would say go back to DS1 and try to look at the level and enemy design. That's a big part of appreciating DS1 as an experience.

DS1 is like a book to me. It was the most amazing thing I had ever read, the atmosphere was through the roof and it felt drat good (and a little sad) to get to the end. I go back to read it every once in a while, but nothing compares to the first experience.

DS2 is definitely more of a game. It's not as enchanting as DS1 (which is one of its weaknesses) even if it has some absolutely breathtaking setpieces, but it has a ton of replayability and so many different armors and weapons to use which is why I ended up playing it for hundreds and hundreds of hours. I think it's also the easiest game of the series, but that might be because of the time I've spent on it.

I really can't pick a "favorite" because I love both so much. :3:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Your Computer posted:

DS1 is like a book to me. It was the most amazing thing I had ever read, the atmosphere was through the roof and it felt drat good (and a little sad) to get to the end. I go back to read it every once in a while, but nothing compares to the first experience.

DS2 is definitely more of a game. It's not as enchanting as DS1 (which is one of its weaknesses) even if it has some absolutely breathtaking setpieces, but it has a ton of replayability and so many different armors and weapons to use which is why I ended up playing it for hundreds and hundreds of hours. I think it's also the easiest game of the series, but that might be because of the time I've spent on it.

I really can't pick a "favorite" because I love both so much. :3:

Yeah, having played all five games for at least 100 hours each I kind of am left with this feeling

DeS: The best atmosphere
DS1: The best design
DS2: The best gameplay
BB: The best overall experience
DS3: The most polished experience

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

There's a fair amount of entirely new lore stuff and locales introduced in the DS3 base game (Carthus, Londor, the Deep, Courland) that would have been way more interesting to have DLC about.

I'm just assuming Londor is New Londo at this point.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i just realized that no weapon in ds3 is as dynamic as santiers spear which is kind of sad
i guess valorheart and the crow quills might be? idk, something still feels 'lacking' for them. more gimmicky than straight solid options like santiers
god i miss the running spin2win move. i'd love to see that poo poo in ds3 because i know everyone would be complaining about mashing roll and getting hosed up by it

Mel Mudkiper posted:

lol "buffs"

I just farmed 10 Ricard Rapiers from the spiders and had one with every infusion in a utility belt

then they won't be on fire/electric and that's no good

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Oh yeah I agree they shouldn't "explain" the untended graves. Iwould be interested in an exploration of what a world without fire means. Maybe something with why those pus enemies are infesting things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fereydun posted:

i just realized that no weapon in ds3 is as dynamic as santiers spear which is kind of sad
i guess valorheart and the crow quills might be? idk, something still feels 'lacking' for them. more gimmicky than straight solid options like santiers

As someone who has been running the crow quills hard, allow me to explain why its pretty dynamic

If you power stance it, you are essentially set up with three simultaneous movesets you can exploit

First, you have a standard piercing moveset which does the highest DPS of any dex weapon in the game if you infuse it correctly
Second, you have the wolverine stab/slash combo which does considerably less damage but devastates poise and turtling
Third, you have the dagger throw which I am fully expecting to be nerfed. It does extremely tiny damage, but it also uses almost no-stamina, and redefines rapier PVP. You now have the option to disrupt opponent attacks, create spacing, and dodge all in a single button press

Basically, for a dex build its a miracle weapon. If the enemy is slow, you can use pierce DPS. Iif the enemy is fast, you can wolverine. If the enemy tries to charge or use projectiles, you can disrupt with daggers.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

As someone who has been running the crow quills hard, allow me to explain why its pretty dynamic

If you power stance it, you are essentially set up with three simultaneous movesets you can exploit

First, you have a standard piercing moveset which does the highest DPS of any dex weapon in the game if you infuse it correctly
Second, you have the wolverine stab/slash combo which does considerably less damage but devastates poise and turtling
Third, you have the dagger throw which I am fully expecting to be nerfed. It does extremely tiny damage, but it also uses almost no-stamina, and redefines rapier PVP. You now have the option to disrupt opponent attacks, create spacing, and dodge all in a single button press

Basically, for a dex build its a miracle weapon. If the enemy is slow, you can use pierce DPS. Iif the enemy is fast, you can wolverine. If the enemy tries to charge or use projectiles, you can disrupt with daggers.

yeah that's more or less what i was thinking. same w/ valorheart- you've got lots of options that give you a pretty good spread in terms of matchups vs. other weapon types

it just feels like those options might end up being gimmicky /suicidal once folks learn how to deal with them? idk, i do pretty poorly against 'em myself but when using them i can't shake that anyone good that i fight already has it down pat on how to properly punish/pressure me for trying anything cheeky.

hopefully the people who try to do the lunge from the knife throw never stop since i have actually started to equip the hornet ring just so i can kill their dumb asses

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star
I'm surprised how little Vanquisher's Seal comes up when people list good things about DS2. Shirtlessly pummeling all foes with your bare hands was just the best.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fereydun posted:

hopefully the people who try to do the lunge from the knife throw never stop since i have actually started to equip the hornet ring just so i can kill their dumb asses

people do that?

Jesus that sounds dumb

I use the knife to dodge away from enemy attacks to punish whiffing and to gently caress with guys when they try to charge me

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm just assuming Londor is New Londo at this point.

Even if isn't literally New Londo, it's certainly the spiritual successor. They're even led by Kaathe.

The Dark certainly seems a bit more actively malicious in DS3 than previously though. Everything Londor related has been pretty "Evil" and it even says in the game that the place is not so much a place for Hollows as a place for "People who have led unsavory lives". It's a shame I think, because one of the most interesting themes in Dark Souls lore to me has always been the lack of inherent "Good" and "Evil".

On the surface (and indeed, to most of the playerbase) it seems like a typical fantasy story; you fight for the Light, the Gods and the Age of Fire. Linking the fire is morally Good. The Abyss, the age of Dark and everything to do with is is Evil. Once you dig a bit deeper it becomes quite a bit more muddy, and there is a lot of manipulation at play (even towards the player) by both sides. One of the most interesting questions is whether linking the fire and extending the Age of Fire is really in humanity's favor (or the world itself, in the case of DS3). By making the "anti-Linking" faction be Saturday morning cartoon villains they kinda ruin that interesting dynamic I think :(

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Gologle posted:

I want a boss whose name is just "This isn't even my final form" until finally you get him into the phase where his health bar reads "This is my final form". It should preferably have a minimum of six phases.

A souls-like that went full parody with a DLC could be pretty amusing. Throw in a bunch of goofy gimmick weapons and stuff.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Your Computer posted:

On the surface (and indeed, to most of the playerbase) it seems like a typical fantasy story; you fight for the Light, the Gods and the Age of Fire. Linking the fire is morally Good. The Abyss, the age of Dark and everything to do with is is Evil. Once you dig a bit deeper it becomes quite a bit more muddy, and there is a lot of manipulation at play (even towards the player) by both sides. One of the most interesting questions is whether linking the fire and extending the Age of Fire is really in humanity's favor (or the world itself, in the case of DS3). By making the "anti-Linking" faction be Saturday morning cartoon villains they kinda ruin that interesting dynamic I think :(

Vaati has suggested it but I really want the last DLC to be "fight Velka"

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh yeah I agree they shouldn't "explain" the untended graves. Iwould be interested in an exploration of what a world without fire means. Maybe something with why those pus enemies are infesting things.

it was so weird that it's the second form of the very first boss, plus there's two more in lothric highwall, and then they completely disappear until you get to ocieros or the second half of lothric castle. gundyr and highwall set-up that those black snake things were going to be this cool, unpredictable menace that might pop out anywhere even against what looked like a weak enemy.

then they just stop existing. hell, the ones in ocieros' area are just walking around all normal, not even trying to be a surprise or something.

IMO they should have switched the frequency of mimics with the frequency of man pus, so that you'd have random monsters just explode into black snake monsters all the time, but the mimics would only be in like two areas of the game.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah but someone who has led an unsavory life is Karla and she's people's waifu.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Karla's hat clipping with the Onyx blade is the worst thing. Please stop ruining my fashion souls from.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

it was so weird that it's the second form of the very first boss, plus there's two more in lothric highwall, and then they completely disappear until you get to ocieros or the second half of lothric castle. gundyr and highwall set-up that those black snake things were going to be this cool, unpredictable menace that might pop out anywhere even against what looked like a weak enemy.

then they just stop existing. hell, the ones in ocieros' area are just walking around all normal, not even trying to be a surprise or something.

IMO they should have switched the frequency of mimics with the frequency of man pus, so that you'd have random monsters just explode into black snake monsters all the time, but the mimics would only be in like two areas of the game.

Probably trying to specifically link it to Lorthic? Maybe some tie in with the prince actively refusing to be a lord.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Probably trying to specifically link it to Lorthic? Maybe some tie in with the prince actively refusing to be a lord.

I thought the lore reason was that they were results of Oceiros trying to create human/dragon hybrids

I mean, their name is "the pus of man"

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Mighty Dicktron posted:

So rolling being insanely good and making big weapons worthless is okay and good and anyone dissatisfied by that is just a whiny baby huh

The main point is that the fighting is less complex even than 1, and certainly less complex than 2. There are pretty much just win buttons. It's ridiculously hard to pull off something that's both fun and effective.

Agreed, the thing about DS2 PvP is that everything you did actually mattered and you had to use actual judgement about your choices rather than just free rolls forever.

I've found Friede's scythe surprisingly effective at catching people try to dodge roll away. If you're really quick and time it right after a 1-handed R1, you can go into the leaping combo as they inevitably try to roll away and 8 times out of 10 you'll clip them once or twice because the sheer hitbox size and duration of that combo chain.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I think another reason I've played DS2 the most is that it has an infinitely better character creator than DS1 and DS3, and much better fashion.

Basically, Dark Souls 2 is my favorite dress-up game and I'm not ashamed to admit that :colbert:

DS3's is better because you can give your character facial and body hair regardless of their gender.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Genocyber posted:

DS3's is better because you can give your character facial and body hair regardless of their gender.

I never realized the Ashen one was Italian

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah but someone who has led an unsavory life is Karla and she's people's waifu.

Unlike someone like Yoel or Yuria, she seems very honest though. Heck, one of the first things she says is that she's guilty because her Dark sorceries are "a detestable sort". She's very forthcoming about the nature of her spells and their consequences, and it doesn't feel like she has an agenda. I'm interested in whether her being a "child of the Abyss" is more DS2 "literally a piece of Manus" or more along the lines of the Dark Soul and humanity's connection with the Dark.

Sure, you can do the whole "the least manipulative character is actually THE MOST manipulative" thing but I don't think From writes that badly.

Also is there a single female character in any Souls game that isn't people's waifu? I guess at least this one appears to care for your character.

Karla posted:

Oh, are you lost on your journey?
No matter; today's lost are conquerors tomorrow.
It only demonstrates the making of a champion.
And besides, whatever your choice... It will not change my sense of gratitutde, or how I think of you.

Karla posted:

There is one thing that you should know.
There is a darkness within man, and I am afraid you will peer into it.
Whether the fear will spark self-reflection, or a ruinous nostalgia...
...is up to you entirely.
Fear not, your choice will bring you no scorn.

She's probably the only character in the game who is okay with letting you choose for yourself. Heck, even Andre tries to hammer in (:haw:) that you're here to link the Fire and he's probably the nicest person you meet. I guess the Fire Keeper allows you to do whatever you want but she's clearly uneasy/sad when you tell her that you wish for a world without fire.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought the lore reason was that they were results of Oceiros trying to create human/dragon hybrids

I mean, their name is "the pus of man"

That makes sense.

Speaking of fashion souls I need to beat my current run so I can unhollow and then wear the slave knee pads and get the dragon's dogma experience

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Also is there a single female character in any Souls game that isn't people's waifu?

Pre-emptive "Maneater Mildred" reply.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Zhulik posted:

I'm surprised how little Vanquisher's Seal comes up when people list good things about DS2. Shirtlessly pummeling all foes with your bare hands was just the best.

That was indeed a great feature of DS2 and was basically my primary way of actually dueling after a certain point.

Sapozhnik posted:

I played DS1 after DS2. Didn't get into DS1 back in the day because I wasn't really a console gamer at the time and didn't feel like dealing with GFWL or all the DSFix bullshit to get it running.

irl Estocs are wielded with a two-handed grip so it's not that dumb

but yeah actually I think DS3's double weapons are a much better mechanic than powerstancing.

That is true for many historical estocs and one reason why I like the design of it in DS, though I never used it in DS3 cause a lot of people ran with it. It is weird, though, that they give the estoc a cutting attack though, considering how purpose built many historical examples were. Then again, I'm just happy that most of the rapiers are more accurate with regards to their size than they are in most fantasy games.

And it does actually make sense for a lot of the weapons, like most the straight swords, to be two handed since many of them have the proportions of historical long swords, which were optimized for two handed use. Blades like the broadsword, one of my favorites, to the short sword look a bit off for this reason. That said, I would have preferred a discrete class for "one handers," but that would've been a lot of work 3 games into the series.

Also kind of wish there was a usable item to serve as an anti-magic field.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 28, 2016

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, having played all five games for at least 100 hours each I kind of am left with this feeling

DeS: The best atmosphere
DS1: The best design
DS2: The best gameplay
BB: The best overall experience
DS3: The most polished experience

I can mostly agree here, and it follows that DS2 is my personal favorite since "gameplay first" is seared into my brain as a company mission statement.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I did bitch out on the eyes path because everyone was lecturing me.

I just think the unsavory surface of the skull dudes people is a red herring to the nature of the dark. They probably just embraced the reputation being of the dark would get them in the age of fire.
I didn't think about it before but all the dragon worship shows how declined from the era of Gwyn things are. Dragons are the great Satan

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Zhulik posted:

I miss fist weapons that were not complete trash.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I did bitch out on the eyes path because everyone was lecturing me.

I just think the unsavory surface of the skull dudes people is a red herring to the nature of the dark. They probably just embraced the reputation being of the dark would get them in the age of fire.
I didn't think about it before but all the dragon worship shows how declined from the era of Gwyn things are. Dragons are the great Satan

The dragons did nothing wrong. Gwyn committed genocide.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
*me running a pure pyro build for the first time ever in DS3*

*does Smouldering Lake straight after Wolnir then goes to Irithyll*

*first ever cast of Chaos Bed Vestiges hits the dog alligator thing on the bridge for 1200 damage and knocks it into ripose animation* :stonklol:

Did pyro get buffed at some point because I'm sure I remember people complaining in the first months after the game came out that it was trash

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Unlike someone like Yoel or Yuria, she seems very honest though. Heck, one of the first things she says is that she's guilty because her Dark sorceries are "a detestable sort". She's very forthcoming about the nature of her spells and their consequences, and it doesn't feel like she has an agenda. I'm interested in whether her being a "child of the Abyss" is more DS2 "literally a piece of Manus" or more along the lines of the Dark Soul and humanity's connection with the Dark.

Sure, you can do the whole "the least manipulative character is actually THE MOST manipulative" thing but I don't think From writes that badly.

Also is there a single female character in any Souls game that isn't people's waifu? I guess at least this one appears to care for your character.

She's probably the only character in the game who is okay with letting you choose for yourself. Heck, even Andre tries to hammer in (:haw:) that you're here to link the Fire and he's probably the nicest person you meet. I guess the Fire Keeper allows you to do whatever you want but she's clearly uneasy/sad when you tell her that you wish for a world without fire.

Karla is pretty great I agree. And I feel her specifically referring to herself as a "child of the Abyss" is about as strong confirmation we'd get about her being another daughter of Manus given she's not that major of a character in this game. I don't recall humanity in general ever being referred to as the Abyss's children.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Obligatum VII posted:

I miss fist weapons that were not complete trash.

Caestus only was an incredibly fun run in DS2.

Step 1) Moustache
Step 2) Find some dapper pants (no chest piece)
Step 3) Go punch dragons

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

That might just be a thing witches are called. Like "brides of Satan"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

Caestus only was an incredibly fun run in DS2.

Step 1) Moustache
Step 2) Find some dapper pants (no chest piece)
Step 3) Go punch dragons

I really miss the sheer viability things had in 2. I finished this game with fists in my fist run because I always do and it's just not great.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Big weapons are not worthless at all, they are hard countered by a sub 30% weight build. If you are only relying on one style to win pvp that is not the game's fault. You can still win against a fast roll character with a heavy weapon, but it requires more strategy than against other builds

Also this is from like a page back, but this is something people who do dark souls PVP and think they're good at it have been missing since the first game. I've never had much difficulty using great swords and ultra greatswords in PVP compared to other weapons, you just have to use them differently than when you're in PVE because most people will gently caress you up if you try to hit them with one big slow swing. A lot of people just seem too dumb to try that so they dismiss the whole weapon branch.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

How do you use them/catch dodge rolls? Is there a good place to go for nitty gritty info like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

*me running a pure pyro build for the first time ever in DS3*

*does Smouldering Lake straight after Wolnir then goes to Irithyll*

*first ever cast of Chaos Bed Vestiges hits the dog alligator thing on the bridge for 1200 damage and knocks it into ripose animation* :stonklol:

Did pyro get buffed at some point because I'm sure I remember people complaining in the first months after the game came out that it was trash

it actually got nerfed which is even funnier
great chaos fb used to cost 25FP instead of 32
though 7fp seems like only a slight nerf, it actually translates to way, way more casts. like 2-5 more casts depending on how large your FP bar is so imagine the comedy there for fireball chuckers

pyro is the only viable magic style that works across the whole game because you get all the good poo poo for it really early so the progression is both steady and fast + the inherent speed on it and weakness enemies have to fire makes it mega fuckin good for most enemies

it's also not boring because it's way easier to be effective with hybrid builds using pyro vs. sorc and miracles due to that progression chain.

even later than that you get the black flame spells and those are just a nice icing on top for funtimes alongside the short-range gimmick spells like fire whip and surge (though surge is mostly a pvp deal)

the only thing i really dislike about ds3 pyro is that firestorm is boring and wack now instead of a hilarious setup spell that does obscene damage on large enemies

edit:
oh also profaned flame not being as cool as ds2 one and no lingering flame
also no more fire snake

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 28, 2016