Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Takoluka posted:

Like, I went to a museum in Japan and saw a bunch of kids taking pictures with their 3DSes while Mom was using the family iPad. The thought that you're just giving everyone in your household a next-gen console as a replacement for your Game Boy is absurd to me.

But who knows? Maybe I'm extremely wrong here and Nintendo is doing exactly that. I'd think it's a stupid decision, but it's not my company, sooooo

I mean, if it's gonna be $300 like we think it is, if that family was rich enough to give every kid a $200 device, they are probably rich enough to give every kid a $300 device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

elf help book posted:

Let's be honest, the real argument is always "It will fail, because Nintendo is dumb and I am the smartest businessman alive."

For real. Like, the Switch looks like it owns, and I'm Day 1ing the thing. It's just sad that there are these weird expectations for it already that are very clearly wrong.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Kashuno posted:

I was surprised how few people have been doom and glooming the Switch, but I'm glad to see there's one jackass still out there at least.

There's a gbs thread that will not surprise you.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Spellman posted:

I can't see a kid over the age of 7 cramming it into a car seat

My parents gave me my first console when I turned six :ohdear:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Takoluka posted:

I have never met a child I could trust with an iPad.

But seriously, the idea here is that "Check it. It is a brand new Nintendo console that you sit down and play at home like every other Nintendo console. But it ALSO has some neat portable functionality!" But people have taken it as "This is Nintendo's new portable console that also has a dock. It will fail, because it doesn't work with Nintendo's current portable games and probably has mediocre battery life. I don't care about Streetpass."

Have "people" taken it like that? All the people?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Takoluka posted:

Like, I went to a museum in Japan and saw a bunch of kids taking pictures with their 3DSes while Mom was using the family iPad. The thought that you're just giving everyone in your household a next-gen console as a replacement for your Game Boy is absurd to me.

But who knows? Maybe I'm extremely wrong here and Nintendo is doing exactly that. I'd think it's a stupid decision, but it's not my company, sooooo

I saw kids doing this in a botanical garden recently and I thought it was adorable but also taking 3D pictures is a cool idea.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

domming and glomming

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Have "people" taken it like that? All the people?

literally all of them

e: and by that, i mean, a lot of internet comments and editorials, mostly from people who seem to want the switch to be a portable ps4 pro

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't see how giving kids Game Boys and GBA SPs and tiny game boy advance cartridges is different, but now suddenly THIS gameboy also has parts and kids will lose them! It's like not buying a wii because the remote might slip out of the kid's hand and break the TV like that one kid did, so instead of telling them to be careful, just don't even let them try to be responsible.

Takoluka posted:

They can happily learn to use and enjoy them just like anything else. My 2- and 3- year old nieces use one to play games and stuff and they know how to navigate it just fine. Sure there are kids who would smash an etch-a-sketch if you handed it to them, but many kids know how to treat things they like with care.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Takoluka posted:

Oh yeah, absolutely. Neither have I. I have met a lot of people who give their kids iPads though.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yes, Four Swords Adventures.

*uses less electricity than an xbox 360

It's best when you remember how Medibot introduced it:

THE GIGAQUAD

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Takoluka posted:

But seriously, the idea here is that "Check it. It is a brand new Nintendo console that you sit down and play at home like every other Nintendo console. But it ALSO has some neat portable functionality!" But people have taken it as "This is Nintendo's new portable console that also has a dock. It will fail, because it doesn't work with Nintendo's current portable games and probably has mediocre battery life. I don't care about Streetpass."

i mean the latter is dumb but the idea that this isn't equally a console and a portable, and that it will replace the 3DS eventually, is pretty stupid too. what possible reason could nintendo have for designing such a thing if doesn't sunset a secondary product line and allow them to focus all development resources on a single platform?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

(imagines my own stupid rear end losing my video game controllers) hmm, what if Children lose their parents' joycons... smh Nintendo, so much fail.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i can't really imagine how kids could lose the controllers when out and about since they'll almost certainly be playing the system with the controllers attached anyway but maybe i'm giving children too much credit

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't understand how adults can drop a several hundred dollar device on concrete multiple times. We live in a unique world.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

romanowski posted:

i can't really imagine how kids could lose the controllers when out and about since they'll almost certainly be playing the system with the controllers attached anyway but maybe i'm giving children too much credit

Didn't you watch the trailer? The Nintendo Switch isn't for kids.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

romanowski posted:

Have you been around kids? It would be super easy for them to take the controllers off to play Mario Kart or whatever and then get distracted, put the controllers down and go play on a slide or something and then lose the whole system.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nintendo has a system for kids. its called a used or refurbished switch

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

the most important thing about the joycons is, wasn't there some patent for controllers that don't use batteries using some acoustic wizardry? but its also a very simple and cheap mechanism? well, i hope that's the case, because that would be cool.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If your kid is old enough to be alone they are old enough to know not to leave expensive poo poo laying there

If the parent is there it's on them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boten Anna posted:

the most important thing about the joycons is, wasn't there some patent for controllers that don't use batteries using some acoustic wizardry? but its also a very simple and cheap mechanism? well, i hope that's the case, because that would be cool.

nintendo has invented free energy

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

and then some kid lost it. gently caress

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wicka posted:

and then some kid lost it. gently caress

pikmin 4 plot writes itself

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

the talk about it was hundreds of pages back, its not anything at all like free energy, basically the kinetic energy of pushing a button generates a specific frequency/pattern of sound that would be picked up by some sort of speaker on the receiving unit. it sounds like it would be something that would be kind of hard to make reliable and stable but perhaps not impossible

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boten Anna posted:

the talk about it was hundreds of pages back, its not anything at all like free energy, basically the kinetic energy of pushing a button generates a specific frequency/pattern of sound that would be picked up by some sort of speaker on the receiving unit. it sounds like it would be something that would be kind of hard to make reliable and stable but perhaps not impossible

are you gonna be pumping the trigger feverishly to power the IR emitter?

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

its passive induction, it has nothing to do with IR

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the right joycon has ir

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i miss controllers just having cords

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

the right joycon has ir

oh yeah idk then. im not really predicting that the NX will have passive induction buttons, i don't actually think it's likely, but it'd be cool.

they could be doing some wacky thing with a small, cheap battery that can run the ir for far longer than you'll have the thing disconnected from the machine, which can charge the battery easily i guess, but that's really pushing it

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

i miss controllers just having cords

guess what comes out very soon and from ninten do.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

a.lo posted:

guess what comes out very soon and from ninten do.

I keep trying to tell myself that i shouldn't blow money on it because i already have a pi but honestly i'm probably going to end up with at least 2 nes classics

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The switch comes with 3 replacement pairs of joycons.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

The switch comes with 3 replacement pairs of joycons.

theres no point, children, despite being gross and sticky literally all the time so you'd think tiny joycons would just like stick to their hand, will just lose those too. in fact if you put a joycon anywhere near a child, it will just vanish.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCrutWOy9Q0

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oCeK7145bg

Behold the power of next gen gaming. How can the switch possibly handle this upgrade?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Have you been around kids? It would be super easy for them to take the controllers off to play Mario Kart or whatever and then get distracted, put the controllers down and go play on a slide or something and then lose the whole system.

that's not an issue that's caused by the existence of detachable controllers, though. if kids are gonna lose the system then they're gonna lose it but i'm not really sure that saying "kids will lose the detachable parts" is that valid a criticism

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

greatn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oCeK7145bg

Behold the power of next gen gaming. How can the switch possibly handle this upgrade?

I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I thought that the 360 version looked better. Less jaundiced and more blue/white with more pleasant colour palettes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I thought that the 360 version looked better. Less jaundiced and more blue/white with more pleasant colour palettes.

Yeah. Agree. If I look at individual drtails. Like tree branches. Its "better" but moving around just looking. 360 was better...

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
If a child touches a joycon it will be absorbed into the shambling mass they call a body, never to be seen again. The only logical conclusion is to limit ownership of the switch to enterprising goon adults like myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Raserys posted:

If a child touches a joycon it will be absorbed into the shambling mass they call a body, never to be seen again. The only logical conclusion is to limit ownership of the switch to enterprising goon adults like myself

Looking forward to the Nintendo port of Inside.

• Locked thread