Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eames posted:

I am certain that the EU pricing is all about the $14.5 billion EU Tax fine.

http://fortune.com/2016/08/31/apple-eu-tax-fine/

So now they're sticking it to the customers in the EU. It remains to be seen whether this works out or backfires. I know 5 people (6 including myself) who were dead set on buying a new MBP after the announcement and none of them ordered one so far.

The pound is down over 20% compared to the US dollars since brexit, that couldn't possible have anything to do with it. Other companies are raising their U.K. Prices as well, not just Apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

They are going to make more money re-selling the refurb macs than they are selling the surfaces.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How were the 2015 15" MacBooks? anyone have it for a full year? thoughts? issues?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/28/apple-suggests-that-it-has-permanently-exited-the-stand-alone-monitor-business

Yeah, well, looks like that eGPU display is another wish-it-would-happen-but-it-aint-gonna deal.

Article basically states that this LG display is what Apple will officially sell, original article states:

Jason Snell posted:

What makes that LG Display special. Instead of announcing a new Apple-branded Thunderbolt 3 Retina Display, Apple announced that it worked with LG to create a new 27-inch 5K display that supports the wide color gamut now present on MacBook Pros, iMacs, iPhones, and the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. (This collaboration convinces me that Apple’s not going to make a display of its own.)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 28, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Housh posted:

How were the 2015 15" MacBooks? anyone have it for a full year? thoughts? issues?

You have to live with one port and the keyboard is love it or hate it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You knew as soon as they showed those LG displays that the final nail had been driven into the Apple display coffin

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You knew as soon as they showed those LG displays that the final nail had been driven into the Apple display coffin

Steve took a certain pride in the design of the Apple displays he would lose his poo poo over those

eames
May 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

The pound is down over 20% compared to the US dollars since brexit, that couldn't possible have anything to do with it. Other companies are raising their U.K. Prices as well, not just Apple

Prices are up across all of the EU. Germany. France. Italy. Spain.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

eames posted:

Clowns.
This nickel and diming poo poo is almost the worst part of Apple nowadays. So in recent months they have

* no included USB-C -> USB-A adapter for the new Macbooks (obvs)
* offered a cord for your Apple TV remote... for $13
* stopped including the extension cord for the Macbook charger
* stopped including the nice little plastic box for the Earpods (now it's a stupid paper simulacrum)
* shrunk the SSD portion of their iMac fusion drives from 128GB to 24GB

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Why couldn't they have just put the touch bar above the function keys.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

wide stance posted:

What space is there above the function keys?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Steve took a certain pride in the design of the Apple displays he would lose his poo poo over those

steve used an imac so no

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Linguica posted:

This nickel and diming poo poo is almost the worst part of Apple nowadays. So in recent months they have

* no included USB-C -> USB-A adapter for the new Macbooks (obvs)
* offered a cord for your Apple TV remote... for $13
* stopped including the extension cord for the Macbook charger
* stopped including the nice little plastic box for the Earpods (now it's a stupid paper simulacrum)
* shrunk the SSD portion of their iMac fusion drives from 128GB to 24GB

Aaaaand they got rid of the backlit Apple logo behind your laptop's display that used to light up when you powered on.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

FCKGW posted:

holy poo poo no one gives a gently caress what kind of ram they use jfc

Believe it or not you do not speak for everyone. The only thing you've successfully done here is make yourself look like a fanboy.

DDR4 is compatible with skylake and uses significantly less power. DDR4 ram runs 1.05 to 1.2v and DDR3 ram runs 1.5 to 1.975V. The difference is real. Especially if you're going to turn around and say "this is why we offer an inferior product"

eames
May 9, 2009

mitztronic posted:

Believe it or not you do not speak for everyone. The only thing you've successfully done here is make yourself look like a fanboy.

DDR4 is compatible with skylake and uses significantly less power. DDR4 ram runs 1.05 to 1.2v and DDR3 ram runs 1.5 to 1.975V. The difference is real.

GBS is leaking, there are a couple of posters ITT that are just out to troll people. Don't take the bait. :shobon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The startup chime is next. :rip:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eames posted:

GBS is leaking, there are a couple of posters ITT that are just out to troll people. Don't take the bait. :shobon:

Yeah, really, I've seen people who have never ever loving ever posted before in this thread acting like they're super de duper expert lifers for whom this is the last straw.

Intel doesn't have the Kaby Lake models that Apple prefers ready, but it's nice that we got four Thunderbolt 3 ports at least, even faster and faster SSDs, we got better calibrated Retina displays, the laptop is lighter, and we have a new second display that's 1920 * 180. Wonder if it's accelerated by the GPU..

It's good to count your blessings every once in a while..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 28, 2016

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
So interestingly, ark.intel.com lists the 13" i5/i7 parts on the more expensive models as a higher wattage than the baseline model. I wonder what the battery/performance/thermal implications will be for that choice.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Binary Badger posted:

and we have a new second display that's 1920 * 180.
lmao come the gently caress on

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

wide stance posted:

Unironically bless Apple for saying no to everything nerds want.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Binary Badger posted:

we have a new second display that's 1920 * 180. Wonder if it's accelerated by the GPU..

It's run off it's own chip and OS, a variant of the apple watch OS

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

logikv9 posted:

What space is there above the function keys?

There is a comically oversized touchpad that could be a little smaller maybe?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Binary Badger posted:

Yeah, really, I've seen people who have never ever loving ever posted before in this thread acting like they're super de duper expert lifers for whom this is the last straw.

I only post here after product launches but that doesn't mean I don't use and give a poo poo about Apple products

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Tim did not really deliver the goods imo, predictable steady incremental improvements to one existing product category with an over-emphasis on the gimmick-bar. Gimmick bar could be useful I guess for navigation but I don't really think it's going to be able to do anything faster for me than the ordinary keyboard with OS X + Quicksilver and menu proxy items (e.g. I hit a quicksilver combination then can type the first couple letters of the name of any menu item and hit enter and it happens).

I swear the first person to create a workable, consumer friendly eGPU solution is going to make a loving killing. All of the pieces are there now – someone just has to put it all together.

Also lol at the prices but whatever I guess, it's not like they won't sell millions and millions of them.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

eames posted:

Holy moly this is so fitting, it's almost scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1rXqD6M614

Tim Cook, tonerhead #1

I think the major problem is no one is telling jonny ive "no."

quote:

I swear the first person to create a workable, consumer friendly eGPU solution is going to make a loving killing. All of the pieces are there now – someone just has to put it all together.

I've been waiting forever for this. I gave up and bought a PS4 instead.

bone app the teeth fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 29, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Linguica posted:

lmao come the gently caress on

Sorry, that should have gone in YOSPOS.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hmm, I can get $450 credit for my mid-2012 13" MacBook Air (2.0GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD). Is that a good deal? :lol:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Not to mention you have to package up and mail off your MacBook to some random company and then twiddle your thumbs and hope they actually approve you for a store credit and not arbitrarily decide to give you less money for some bullshit reason. Sound delightful

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Binary Badger posted:

Aaaaand they got rid of the backlit Apple logo behind your laptop's display that used to light up when you powered on.

Did it even waste power or was it simply lit by the LCD backlight itself? Maybe it sounds dumb but the lit Apple logo had become iconic in and of itself, and a part of me is actually frustrated that they removed it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uhm they got rid of it last year with the MacBooks

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Uhm they got rid of it last year with the MacBooks

It was still being offered on the rMBPs though, even though I figured its time was short.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

eames posted:

more like the games forums "xbone has the wrong ram" crew is running buck wild in here now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

up to $650 probably only applies to the Macbook Pro that was just announced yesterday. Total loving scam from Microsoft basically. And even then, none of the newer Macbook Pros would be sold 2nd hand for that low.

Astr00
Mar 1, 2009
Dearest Goons,

I sold my trusty 2013 rMBP 15" right before the event, but I was not prepared for this price hike. As it turns out, a local retailer is running a promotion with 20% off these new MacBooks tomorrow. Since I live in Norway and we pay 25% sales tax, that barely closes in on the retail price in the US, but this is still a pretty good deal.

I think.

I need some advice. I'm used to a 15" model, so that's what I'm considering the most. The model I had did not have integrated graphics, and I'm pretty sure I don't need it for the programming work I'm doing. Should I wait a year and see if Apple introduces a cheaper model with Kaby Lake and no DGPU? Or should I take advantage of this deal and stop whining on the internet about pointless things? Help me, Goons!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I really don't think they're gonna introduce a CHEAPER model next year. Kaby maybe.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Rabid Snake posted:

No, it will just display the function keys normally according to MacRumors.

I'm hoping it will do that without any drivers. Like it would suck if I had to go into Windows Recovery for some reason, and the function keys + esc were totally unavailable. I'm willing to wait a few weeks until others have them and find out before I order.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Even if Apple has swing and a miss with a new mac, I wouldn't ever quit the mac. Microsoft's hardware might be nice but windows sucks, and I much prefer the software put out by mac devs. I have to use windows at work and I hate it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

squidgee posted:

What was lovely about it (as an iPad replacement, not a main machine)?

It's expensive. It got hot and touching the screen was uncomfortable. It's not as wieldy as any ipad I've ever used. It's too heavy. It runs Windows 10 . The kickstand felt unbalanced, you can't really use it on your lap. It's easy to just knock it flat over by accident. The type cover is a so-so keyboard. The touchpad was terrible. The keyboard cover goes flush up against the screen, and folds flat behind the surface pro so any table dirt that attaches to the bottom of the surface becomes the screen cover. The cover was an extra $130 when I bought it. Battery life wasn't good enough for me. The pen was kind of glitchy and not as accurate as I thought it would be, so it wasn't a good replacement for paper for my purpose, which is writing equations. Resting an arm on the surface felt horrible, because it was too hot.

I could maybe go on.

The charger was straight out of 1982. Magsafe looks like an art piece by comparison.

It felt cheap as gently caress, low build quality.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

zergstain posted:

I'm hoping it will do that without any drivers. Like it would suck if I had to go into Windows Recovery for some reason, and the function keys + esc were totally unavailable. I'm willing to wait a few weeks until others have them and find out before I order.

You could always plug in a cheap USB keyboard. Oh wait, never mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Haggins posted:

You could always plug in a cheap USB keyboard. Oh wait, never mind.

Probably a safe bet that anyone that will be running boot camp on this thing will also buy the usb A dongle.