Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

iajanus posted:

I think my abject contempt for our daily work standup meetings is starting to become a little too apparent.

today I literally couldn't think of anything to say about what I did yesterday except "i did tickets" and today was "i am going to do tickets" and then I just sat there until someone else started talking

😕

Do we work together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
We use Geekbot via Slack for our standups. I want to murder whoever on our team wrote the custom reminder messages it pops up. "Answer the questions plz" followed by an emjoii is not what I want to see in the mornings.

I haven't used it in a couple of days because I'm usually working on a string of issues and can't be bothered to deal with it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

iajanus posted:

I think my abject contempt for our daily work standup meetings is starting to become a little too apparent.

today I literally couldn't think of anything to say about what I did yesterday except "i did tickets" and today was "i am going to do tickets" and then I just sat there until someone else started talking

😕

I sit down for our standups because I am a rebel and cool and stuff.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

iajanus posted:

In unrelated posting, does anyone have any hints for ways to "encourage" your staff to upskill? My support team have very little in the way of technical skills nor motivation and I don't have the power to fire or hire in our small company so i'm left trying to work out good motivational methods for them to help themselves. I'm not used to having any kind of power (no matter how tiny or insubstantial)...

"I want people to learn to do X, Y and Z, and do it on their own initiative. Guaranteed promotions/raises if you can make it."

Sometimes people just have a stagnant work environment with no hope of advancement. If things got as bad as they are, its probably because ambition hasn't been rewarded for so long its become a 'why bother' type deal.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Siochain posted:

loving rock it out. Nothing beats some man-pampering.

Mampering.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

"I want people to learn to do X, Y and Z, and do it on their own initiative. Guaranteed promotions/raises if you can make it."

Sometimes people just have a stagnant work environment with no hope of advancement. If things got as bad as they are, its probably because ambition hasn't been rewarded for so long its become a 'why bother' type deal.

I worked in my last job for roughly 10 years. The last 3-5 years started getting incredibly stagnant. I've learned more and done more proactive work in the last 3 months, than I had in the last year at the old place.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lord Dudeguy posted:

You don't ever turn down a professional massage.

Ever.

Hell no you don't, I've had my current job and at least one previous that would do little things like that. Had 2 women from a local massage therapy place bring in these special chairs so people could sit and get their back/shoulder/neck done.

Only mistake I made was doing it right before lunch, because I was so relaxed I almost fell asleep face-first in my food :lol:

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Just got a ticket where a group of users is complaining their group printer intermittently isn't able to print the numeral 6. They swear the data in their print jobs is fine. All the other numerals print reliably.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

The Cubelodyte posted:

Just got a ticket where a group of users is complaining their group printer intermittently isn't able to print the numeral 6. They swear the data in their print jobs is fine. All the other numerals print reliably.

Lexmark of the beast! :tinfoil:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PierreTheMime posted:

Gealar
May 2, 2013

The Cubelodyte posted:

I had something similar happen with our HP printers. When someone printed in Calibri certain letter combinations wouldn't print like "ti".

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

PierreTheMime posted:

Mods, please

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Thanks Ants posted:

If people don't have a desire to learn then they are broken and not suitable for this industry. Incentivising them is only a temporary fix.

I don't mean "don't reimburse relevant certs", but you shouldn't really have to force people to better themselves.

Oh I know; the company is being run into the ground, they've hired terribly and there's no chance in me getting replacements unless the staff shoot someone. I'm making the best with what I have which is why I'm incentivising whilst the money is there and actively trying to find something else to do for work.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gealar posted:

I had something similar happen with our HP printers. When someone printed in Calibri certain letter combinations wouldn't print like "ti".
That's the automatic ligatures, right? I know "fi" hosed up my LaTeX PDF exported into Word something fierce.

Gealar
May 2, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That's the automatic ligatures, right? I know "fi" hosed up my LaTeX PDF exported into Word something fierce.

I hadn't heard of that before, but it does make sense why the letters would be disappearing after reading the article. The fix was to install office on the print server and get the newest calibri font installed on it as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The gently caress? A print server shouldn't know what application made the document, much less need that application installed. Is there some weird client offloading to print servers in an MS environment that I've managed to not know anything about?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

The gently caress? A print server shouldn't know what application made the document, much less need that application installed. Is there some weird client offloading to print servers in an MS environment that I've managed to not know anything about?

If you know what's going on inside the printer drivers on a Windows server I'd like to hire you as my company's printer expert

e: print driver on server using local font store sounds completely plausible

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Gealar posted:

I hadn't heard of that before, but it does make sense why the letters would be disappearing after reading the article. The fix was to install office on the print server and get the newest calibri font installed on it as well.

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk: This is some :catstare: level poo poo here

mewse posted:

If you know what's going on inside the printer drivers on a Windows server I'd like to hire you as my company's printer expert

yeah, you and everyone else :homebrew: will be Thanks Ants after just one month

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SeaborneClink posted:

yeah, you and everyone else :homebrew: will be Thanks Ants after just one month

Printer Ants.

Prants.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How much is the advise of "throw all your printers away" worth?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thanks Ants posted:

How much is the advise of "throw all your printers away" worth?

Every dollar saved not being spent on printer support, plus the equivalent increase in quality of life improvement. Also the money saved by the company on health care not spent on repairing liver damage :can:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure if you are not using Client-Side Rendering the client will talk to the print server and if the server has the font it will print it. If it doesn't have the font, it will use font substitution or a bunch of other fancy things depending on driver settings. I'm totally guessing here but I wonder if the server had a different version of Calibri, so when it did it's check it was like OKAY, let's print using that! And due to the mismatch it caused problems.

Using Client-Side Rendering would also likely have fixed this issue, but Client-Side Rendering is garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

Here's an article that kind-of-sort-of talks about this type of thing - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2479426

I'm definitely no printer expert, but in the Citrix / RDS world you learn a lot more about printers than you ever wanted to, especially back in the day.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm pretty sure if you are not using Client-Side Rendering the client will talk to the print server and if the server has the font it will print it. If it doesn't have the font, it will use font substitution or a bunch of other fancy things depending on driver settings. I'm totally guessing here but I wonder if the server had a different version of Calibri, so when it did it's check it was like OKAY, let's print using that! And due to the mismatch it caused problems.

Using Client-Side Rendering would also likely have fixed this issue, but Client-Side Rendering is garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

Here's an article that kind-of-sort-of talks about this type of thing - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2479426

I'm definitely no printer expert, but in the Citrix / RDS world you learn a lot more about printers than you ever wanted to, especially back in the day.

I don't suppose you have any experience with Tricerat Screwdrivers, do you?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Unfortunately, I don't. I may still be able to help with questions, so feel free to PM me if you'd like.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I don't suppose you have any experience with Tricerat Screwdrivers, do you?

I have a client I'm currently moving away from using Tricerat. It's randomly dropping printers and support has been terrible, and the client is tired of dealing with it and paying for the licenses. I guess it had its uses but these days Citrix is almost okay with printers as long as you know what you're doing.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
gently caress printers, gently caress print servers, suck my dick from the back whoever invented paper

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

How much is the advise of "throwall your printers away" worth?

I'm sorry I don't understand, could you elaborate on that statement please?

milk milk lemonade posted:

gently caress printers, gently caress print servers, suck my dick from the back whoever invented paper

On Friday I had someone some up to me and graciously apologize for clearing a paper jam and reloaded the paper stock, as he was worried if he was taking away from my duties.

Dude you rock the gently caress on and clear out that bad boy, you have no idea of the level of your caliber against the rest of the flock.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I sit down for our standups because I am a rebel and cool and stuff.

The last big project I worked on had morning standup meetings and I used to just say 'what he said' as my boss would already have gone through our work

Then it became a joke so my boss tried to work out which side of me he should sit to make me go first and I'd just say 'what he is about to say'

Interestingly I've just been taken out of my normal workplace and sent to work on another project for a few weeks with the same boss as above

I kind of hope to attend a morning standup to reinstate the joke

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
One of the things I'm thankful for at my current job is not having to troubleshoot printers. I'll sort out why your Linux server is not allowing anybody to mount SMB share but paper jam? Call your IT department.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

One of the best things about my new job is that the MFC's are managed by facilities.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I only print shipping labels for stuff I sell on eBay, booking confirmations if the venue/airline/hotel seems like they might struggle to retrieve my details, and expenses for work because we have a lovely non-web form way of submitting them. Toner lasts me a really long time. I get confused by people who need to print a lot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We purchase all our toner from a local company (typically 10% markup) and in exchange they fix our fleet of HP printers no charge.

Best loving deal ever.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

The Fool posted:

One of the best things about my new job is that the MFC's are managed by facilities.

I have the worst of both worlds. MFCs are (typically) leased and in theory support is through whoever supplies them, but if we call them all they do is factory reset the things and walk off without verifying anything. Also the office managers can just randomly decide to get a new MFC if they want and the first I hear of it is after fifteen minutes of troubleshooting a random helpdesk ticket about "HELP NOTHING IS PRINTING" out of the blue "oh yeah we got a new printer."

I guess at some point we should standardize and subsume all the printer responsibility into IT but then I'll have people in like Massachusetts asking me how to change the toner in a printer 1200 miles away and just no thanks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

I'm sorry I don't understand, could you elaborate on that statement please?

On Friday I had someone some up to me and graciously apologize for clearing a paper jam and reloaded the paper stock, as he was worried if he was taking away from my duties.

Dude you rock the gently caress on and clear out that bad boy, you have no idea of the level of your caliber against the rest of the flock.

I love when people take care of their own printers. What I don't like is when it's jamming multiple times a day and they don't tell me until they break something actually breaks. I'm thinking about just going to the users for any printer that hasn't had a ticket attached to it in 6 months and ask them if there are any ongoing issues I should be aware of related to the printer.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

This is the thread I never knew I needed. I'm the de facto head of digital for a major traditional advertising and marketing agency that bought wholesale a digital agency about 5 years ago and merged them in. Thing is they bought a bunch of absolute loving cowboys, all of whom quit. This place is an unbelievably dysfunctional mess and all of our systems are worse.

Highlights:

- Our internet is a 10Mb residential line shared across OVER 100 PEOPLE.
- Our IT manager literally can't be arsed with any requests from anyone more due to the constant quixotic demands placed upon him by the Mad Men dinosaur upper management and I don't blame him. We can't access work servers from anywhere except the building because he has shammed his way out of doing the work for approaching 5 years now.
- We have 90 disparate server instances across 21 different providers to host only 100 small and non complex sites.
- Our technical director is an absolute sperglord whose solution to every problem is more documentation and more process and more time spent on "internal" work to the point where he's shammed out of absolutely any real work, regardless of the issue. His team hate him. He also "works from home" 4 days a week but he never actually posts any loving work to bitbucket or git.
- Our "head of search" literally comes in when he feels like it because he's managed to negotiate a deal with the upper management to come in whenever he wants "as he works late into the night". He also does maybe 1.5 days of work a week.

Our Jira install has nearly 450 projects and 2,600 open and unresolved tickets dating back to 2013. We've gone 6,000 man hours over budget on projects through 2015 and 2016. We have nearly £1 million in unbilled work that's had to be marked down as bad debt due to literally EVERY even slightly complex project getting completely hosed up and being now ~1.5 to 2 years late. Senior staff get hired, run into an overwhelming wall of frustration at how utterly hosed everything is (read: me, now) and how completely unable they are to change anything due to dead wood with 15 year tenures refusing to change ANYTHING. Our average staff turnover is ~6 months and the bosses can't figure out why.

And you know what? In our area we're the single biggest award winning agency for almost ten years running.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Speaking of printers, I found it funny that a client of mine called in about a broken printer and the first thing one of our sales managers did was quote a brand new printer to replace it. Granted, yes, the printer was a couple years old but nobody even tried fixing it on site. I drove out to the client location and had it working in less than 5 minutes - there was a paper jam under the toner cartridge, I cleaned it out and got it working again. We swapped the new printer in afterward and kept the other as a spare, but goddamn...still amazes me that nobody even tried to fix the problem and sales saw it as a quick cash grab.

Also sales can eat a bag of dicks because I'm sick of their garbage with making promises to clients about what our engineers can do, what time they can do it in, and how soon they can start a project without even consulting with the any of us first. You bet your rear end I'll push back when they're not a loving engineer, they didn't involve me during their little client meeting, and didn't bother trying to include me or any other engineers...most likely because they knew I'd laugh in their face about getting a 3 month project done in 5-6 weeks with all our other projects that are in progress. I don't care if it's a bonus/commission thing or just plain lovely leadership from our sister location but I'm done getting beat to death over sales incompetence.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

In regards to sales, a lot of that is bad leadership but most places will fire you so loving fast if you don't hit your numbers it's scary.

Sales is a rough, rough gig because you are evaluated weekly and usually have your job casually threatened at least once a month.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Clamps McGraw posted:

This is the thread I never knew I needed. I'm the de facto head of digital for a major traditional advertising and marketing agency that bought wholesale a digital agency about 5 years ago and merged them in. Thing is they bought a bunch of absolute loving cowboys, all of whom quit. This place is an unbelievably dysfunctional mess and all of our systems are worse.

Highlights:

- Our internet is a 10Mb residential line shared across OVER 100 PEOPLE.
- Our IT manager literally can't be arsed with any requests from anyone more due to the constant quixotic demands placed upon him by the Mad Men dinosaur upper management and I don't blame him. We can't access work servers from anywhere except the building because he has shammed his way out of doing the work for approaching 5 years now.
- We have 90 disparate server instances across 21 different providers to host only 100 small and non complex sites.
- Our technical director is an absolute sperglord whose solution to every problem is more documentation and more process and more time spent on "internal" work to the point where he's shammed out of absolutely any real work, regardless of the issue. His team hate him. He also "works from home" 4 days a week but he never actually posts any loving work to bitbucket or git.
- Our "head of search" literally comes in when he feels like it because he's managed to negotiate a deal with the upper management to come in whenever he wants "as he works late into the night". He also does maybe 1.5 days of work a week.

Our Jira install has nearly 450 projects and 2,600 open and unresolved tickets dating back to 2013. We've gone 6,000 man hours over budget on projects through 2015 and 2016. We have nearly £1 million in unbilled work that's had to be marked down as bad debt due to literally EVERY even slightly complex project getting completely hosed up and being now ~1.5 to 2 years late. Senior staff get hired, run into an overwhelming wall of frustration at how utterly hosed everything is (read: me, now) and how completely unable they are to change anything due to dead wood with 15 year tenures refusing to change ANYTHING. Our average staff turnover is ~6 months and the bosses can't figure out why.

And you know what? In our area we're the single biggest award winning agency for almost ten years running.

Do you have an office on Brick Lane?

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Haha, no, but I know exactly where you mean and I USED to work there.

I'm not going to give away anything else as you're clearly familiar with the industry and I'm terrified someone figures out who I am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not hugely familiar with the industry, I know someone who worked at the three letter place before the merger and is now out in Asia. Every story seemed to point to a clusterfuck occurring, but maybe that's just par for the course.

• Locked thread