Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
And then the marine stood up and punched the cowardly homosexual scientist. "If you're so evolved why didn't your precious science stop me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bag em and tag em posted:

And then the marine stood up and punched the cowardly homosexual scientist. "If you're so evolved why didn't your precious science stop me?"

And then the entire classroom leapt to their feet in applause.

naem
May 29, 2011

That marin was alber eistiniend

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shwqa posted:

We know the rate in which carbon decays. We date things based on how much the carbon as decayed. Hence the name "carbon dating"

I would never allow my daughter to date a carbon!

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Paladinus posted:

I would never allow my daughter to date a carbon!

But daddy! He completes me!!

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

The Phlegmatist posted:

Islam, Communism, Nazism, Masonry, certainly all devoted friends of the Vatican. Did Jack Chick ever stop and wonder why the Catholic Church was just so bad at controlling the entire world?

He was a true believer though. He lost the majority of his distributors when he received backlash for the anti-Catholic tracts but kept up with the whole thing, even after Alberto Rivera's death.

That probably confirmed The Conspiracy in his mind, nevermind that by the time his anti-Catholic tracts came out the country had finally managed to put Anti-Catholic sentiment decades behind her past.
I remember one parody of his tracts that takes a western themed tract and turns it into an Anti-Catholic tract where the dude just goes around a town smoking Catholics left and right and gets into heaven. It wasn't very funny :(

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Shwqa posted:

We know the rate in which carbon decays. We date things based on how much the carbon as decayed. Hence the name "carbon dating"
Differential Calculus is a lie of Satan, didn't you know?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Knowing nothing about science but talking about it anyway was the best part of Chick tracts.

Also his woeful misunderstanding of popular culture, like how D&D is real spellcasting, and a metal band's lyrics are "We're gonna rock rock rock, rock with the rock."

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

sticklefifer posted:

Knowing nothing about science but talking about it anyway was the best part of Chick tracts.

Also his woeful misunderstanding of popular culture, like how D&D is real spellcasting, and a metal band's lyrics are "We're gonna rock rock rock, rock with the rock."

The last one was pretty much true at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwrg0db_zY

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
All I know is that there's something funky going on with that D&D group. Why can't Debbie come to the phone and talk to Marcie? She's fighting the zombie! How the gently caress is she so busy fighting the zombie when the dungeon master is answering a phone call? Is Ms. Frost running a co-GM shared world jam?

naem
May 29, 2011

Dungeons and dragons is the nicest, most innocent dorky activity anyone could ever possibly take part in. It's literally "fairy tales, the game"

Sgt. Shaved Balls
Sep 6, 2006

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw98ARXfcqk

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

That was loving awesome.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

I like how it ends. That song rocks.

I've always wanted to do a concept album about Darkest Dungeons. "Blackleaf, No!" would be the band name/album title.

I've scribbled lyrics for various songs over the years, and the album would just add a little to the story, like a unrequited love between Marcie and Debbie, more details about the game and learning black magic and the blossoming relationship Debbie has with Chad Thundercock, or whatever his name is. The jock who brings her back to Christ.

One of the songs absolutely must be titled Mind Bondage and be as 80s metal as possible.

Uh anyway, here's some lovely, half-remembered lyrics from where Blackleaf dies. I know I had some variation in the choruses but my memory is foggy:

Chorus
Marcy Marcy how couldn't you know-oh-oh
That poor little Blackleaf was too drat slow-oh-oh?
Oh no! Blackleaf's dead
Marcie's crying now as she hangs her head
Oh no! Blackleaf's dead
Tears are falling and no kind words are said

Debbie:
Marcie you got your character killed, friend
It seems that's your mistake quota filled, friend
The rest of the party isn't thrilled, friend
This game has rules both you and I know, friend
I'm sorry you died but you must go, friend
Don't worry Marcie, I'll see you outside the game, I've always thought you were cool

Chorus

Ms. Frost
You weren't ready for the true power, girl
To be taught sacred rights at the bower, girl
You and Blackleaf died now hit the shower, girl
Debbie would have never loved you back, girl
She needs lovers with a spine and a sack, girl
Now go home and think about how worthless you are, you little whore

Chorus

Anyway, that's my Jack Chick confession

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
This is sort of random, but I figured I'd post it anyway.

I bought someone's collection of tracts awhile back, and this was part of it. Back in the early 90s, the guy wrote Jack Chick and asked for his autograph. I wish I thought of that! Oh well, too late now. Anyway, here are a couple of pictures.

On with the show.

Chick tract #5 - Somebody Loves Me (1965).

I have never actually seen one of these, so a couple of old ads from the mid-60s will have to suffice:

I imagine the story in the 1965 version is essentially the same as the later ones. It was redrawn to fit the modern format in 1969. The copyright was renewed in 1972 when Chick Publications incorporated, but I don't think any changes were made. It was slightly revised in 1973, and again in 2005. Pictured below are the 1972, 1973, and 2005 versions.

The story is very simple, and is told mostly in pictures. Poor little boy has lovely life and ends up living in a box. A little girl comes and tells the boy that Jesus loves him. Boy dies and goes to heaven.

The only change to the 1973 version is that the little girl wears a coat, which she then gives to the boy right before he dies. In the 2005 version, the little girl says she'll go get help, but the boy dies anyway.

This might be the least offensive Chick tract. It's available in quite a few foreign languages since there only about two phrases that need to be translated.

Here is a decent scan of the 1973 version if anyone cares to read it:

https://www.scribd.com/document/77515892/Chick-Tract-Somebody-Loves-Me

edit: I forgot about the 1969 version, so I added info about that.

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 3, 2016

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I remember that one, one of the first I ever saw. They changed it so she goes to get help for him, huh. Haha, good to see there was someone working at the company that realized this little parable is a perfect example of the kind of sanctimonious words not deeds Christianity that infects the filthy souls of the type of people that hand out chick tracts. It's like the idea of a diner writing Jesus Loves You in the tip% section of a meal receipt taken to an absurdly hideous extreme. Jesus loves you kid, your reward is in heaven, now go die in a ditch.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"AS PER YOUR REQUEST", the most heartfelt of greetings

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sentient Data posted:

"AS PER YOUR REQUEST", the most heartfelt of greetings

"As per your request, here's my signature. Now let my family go!"

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

I remember that one, one of the first I ever saw. They changed it so she goes to get help for him, huh. Haha, good to see there was someone working at the company that realized this little parable is a perfect example of the kind of sanctimonious words not deeds Christianity that infects the filthy souls of the type of people that hand out chick tracts. It's like the idea of a diner writing Jesus Loves You in the tip% section of a meal receipt taken to an absurdly hideous extreme. Jesus loves you kid, your reward is in heaven, now go die in a ditch.

You misunderstand. The girl saved the little boy. Had she not been the type to wander the alleys telling the destitute about how Jesus loves them, the little boy would never have known about Christ. So that little boy, having been beaten and abused by his father and abaonded to die in the gutter by society, would have failed to accept Jesus into his heard and therefore burned forever in hell as an unbeliever :eng101:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

a bone to pick posted:

That was loving awesome.

I'm the clarinet solo

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Chick tract #6 - Somebody Goofed (1966).

This is a good one. It starts with a guy named Bobby dying of an overdose. Three bystanders discuss belief in an afterlife, with the youngest torn between a religious old man and a suave atheist in a turtleneck. The young guy somehow ends up driving turtleneck atheist around and they get hit by a train. They both end up in hell, where turtleneck atheist pulls off his face to reveal that he is actually the Devil!!

The earliest version has a simplified story and entirely different art, but the ending is the same.

At the top left is the very rare 3.5" x 4.25" version with a simplified story and entirely different art. Beneath that is the redrawn and resized 1969 version. All the others are slightly different versions of the 1972 revision, except for the last one on the bottom right hand side, which is a recent revision from 2005.

The earliest versions have text of the devil's laughter on the cover ("Haw Haw"). The devil on the last page also has a red head in those versions.

Later versions (some of those with the 1972 copyright date, and all of them with the 2005 date) don't have "Haw Haw" on the cover, and the devil on the last page is in black and white. Lame.

Some of the later versions with the 1972 date have a change to the first page, updating a hippie character with a peace symbol on his shirt into a metal head with a skull and pentagram on his shirt. The hippie version has Bobby dying from an overdose of reds. In the metalhead version, Bobby O.D.s on speed.

I've listed a few of the more obvious changes to Somebody Goofed during its fifty years in print, but there are a ton of other minor variations. Major revisions to Chick tracts generally get a new copyright date, but minor changes to wording and art are made pretty frequently. Find the one you like best! My favorite has the "Haw Haw" on the cover, the red devil on the last page, and the pentagram-shirt metalhead on the first page.

Here is a decent scan of the 1972 version with the hippie on the first page. I'd prefer it to be the heavy metal variant, but I don't have a scanner so I need to take what I can get!

https://www.scribd.com/document/77286266/Chick-Tract-Somebody-Goofed

As I mentioned, the 1966 version has totally different art. It is incredibly rare, so I think I'm going to post pictures of the whole thing:

I thought I'd be able to post The Beast today, but I don't think I'll have time. I'm going out of town for a few days, but I'll post more tracts next week.

Up next:

#7 - The Beast (1966)
#8 - Creator or Liar (1969)
#9 - This Book Has Been Banned
#10 - Who, Me? (1969)

And many more...

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 29, 2016

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

AN OVERDOSE OF REDS

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

...and the pitch! posted:

AN OVERDOSE OF REDS

I can only have sex with three, maybe four communists before it becomes too much for me.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I'm the Slayer fan smoking weed by an ambulance

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Wario's a terrible parent, imo

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hellsau posted:

I can only have sex with three, maybe four communists before it becomes too much for me.

You're no Warren Beatty

Risky
May 18, 2003

Zorodius posted:

I'm the Slayer fan smoking weed by an ambulance

Clearly a Misfits fan

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading
I don't get how anyone could earnestly love a God like the egomaniac sadist Chick envisions. It's hard to see it as anything other than genuine abject terror covered up by affected love as you have to love Christ or he will torture you for all eternity you lowly piece of poo poo

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Chick tract #6 - Somebody Goofed (1966).

Any chance that the black people version of this is in your posting future? I think the improved art really amplified the big reveal at the end.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So he had his works translated into dozens of languages, but didn't he believe that the King James Bible is the only legitimate bible, superseding even the original Greek and Hebrew?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So he had his works translated into dozens of languages, but didn't he believe that the King James Bible is the only legitimate bible, superseding even the original Greek and Hebrew?

Hm, from Wikipedia:

quote:

Jack Chick, a fundamentalist Christian best known for his comic tracts is an advocate for the King James Only movement. He wrote a comic called Sabotage advocating the King James Only movement, and his company offers various books from other authors who also espouse the KJV-only position.

Anyone wanna post Sabotage, and then does anyone else want to photoshop Beastie Boys lyrics onto it and get it over with?

naem
May 29, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Hm, from Wikipedia:

Anyone wanna post Sabotage, and then does anyone else want to photoshop Beastie Boys lyrics onto it and get it over with?

https://youtu.be/4dueYwqKa1I

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Come on, let the motherfucker have the oatmeal. That bowl of oatmeal couldn't have cost more than like 20 cents, pull up a chair and let him join you and your dipshit friends.

Also that's literally the afterlife for Jack Chick for all eternity.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax
He was a handsome young man

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So what is it with these fundies who hate gays and muslims and evolutionists and rock musicians and nerds and HATE Catholics, but Jews are cool, kind-of-sort-of?
Like, Jews are apparently just fellow victims of the Catholic menace who will eventually smarten up and join the Protestants.I mean, it obviously doesn't stop him from drawing his stock villains as dark haired and hook nosed.

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So what is it with these fundies who hate gays and muslims and evolutionists and rock musicians and nerds and HATE Catholics, but Jews are cool, kind-of-sort-of?
Like, Jews are apparently just fellow victims of the Catholic menace who will eventually smarten up and join the Protestants.I mean, it obviously doesn't stop him from drawing his stock villains as dark haired and hook nosed.

They are needed for the second coming of Jesus Christ

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
this thread is awesome.

growing up most of my life attending Christian schools, I've seen a fair few of the chick tracts here and there. I'm not particularly religious now that I'm older, and I always thought the Chick tracts were funny when I was younger. I definitely remember getting the D&D one when I was in middle or high school, because games like Everquest and World of Warcraft were somewhat new and hugely popular, and a lot of the senior members of the church that ran the school figured it was more or less the same thing as D&D. So they handed out Chick tracts to keep us away from those games and delivered our once weekly mandatory church sermon on the evils of MMO games. Of course 99% of the tracts were thrown right in the trash after being soundly mocked. I can't say for certain how popular or effective their messages were, but anecdotally I can say for sure there was definitely a small population at the school who took the messages to heart. There was a small clique of students at the school who made it their crusade to campaign against gaming of all types from tradition pen and paper stuff to the rapidly growing online gaming scene. They mostly got ignored by everyone, but it was still kind of odd to see.

Even more bizarre to see was they actually formed a school club that was the "Anti-Gaming League" to compete against the school's already sanctioned, endorsed and popular "Games Club." And the "Games Club" covered everything from chess to board games to video games and MMOs, so it was one of the more popular clubs since you got to take a class period off to go play video games or board games under the guise of "social fellowship." And of course the school never bothered to screen the games or anything, so we had D&D players next to chess players next to some guys playing GTA.

I'm kind of rambling now. I feel like if there was a thread that was just "Hey! Share your loving weird experiences growing up in a Christian school!" me and a lot of other folks would have some poo poo to contribute.

Long story short, it's interesting to see some of these again after I thought I purged them from my brain, and Gutter Phoenix is doing an awesome job contributing some brand new and original poo poo to this thread. I had no idea about the racial differences between tracts before, and it's really cool to see that. Don't get it twisted, I'm no fan of Jack Chick but there's those of us out there he impacted whether it was wanted or not.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

doodlebugs posted:

They are needed for the second coming of Jesus Christ

They really get the poo poo end of that one. Fulfill a guy's prophecies just so he can throw you in hell? This, the thanks they get?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Mel Gibson should do a movie adaption or a tv series based on one of the tracts. Come on, do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mike12345 posted:

Mel Gibson should do a movie adaption or a tv series based on one of the tracts. Come on, do it.

That's what Passion of the Christ was.