Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

2spooky4me posted:

I wish I could give credits to friends who start playing to help get them into an Asp or something because I think that's when the game starts to open up.

Completely agreed. If it weren't for frogs, I probably would have given up when I started playing a few months ago.

I also like my fighter in my Anaconda. I'm kind of looking for those points of interest so I can fly the Condor around and in them. Also, I'm guilty of RP'ing in my head that the windowed area in the bow of the conda is the passenger lounge and dining room.

As to demanding passengers, for the pax who demand to go hither and yon after they get on board it should be like chartering a superyacht vs. purchasing a berth on a cruise ship. One could buy the best cabin on the most luxurious cruise ship and the thing is never going to alter its itinerary for you unless you have a heart attack while on board. Charter a superyacht and you get a say in the route of the ship and the price difference between the two is enormous. Instead of reserving just a cabin block, VIPs and IPs should insist on first class cabins or better and reserve the whole ship for them and their entourages. They get to tell you what to do, but pay through the nose for the privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Getting insta-killed while entering/exiting a station with potentially wanted passengers is getting old quite quickly. I had less trouble smuggling slaves. There is zero response time and it is really annoying.

F...rontier you :frontear:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Einbauschrank posted:

Getting insta-killed while entering/exiting a station with potentially wanted passengers is getting old quite quickly. I had less trouble smuggling slaves. There is zero response time and it is really annoying.

F...rontier you :frontear:

Unfortunately this is intended behavior :/

For what it's worth I put a ticket in and got my rebuy expenses refunded.

Just don't voice your frustrations on the brown sea or Reddit else you be accused of being illiterate by some sperg with nothing better to do than pick fights on the internet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

2spooky4me posted:

some sperg with nothing better to do than pick fights on the internet.

:ironicat:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

2spooky4me posted:

Unfortunately this is intended behavior :/

For what it's worth I put a ticket in and got my rebuy expenses refunded.

Just don't voice your frustrations on the brown sea or Reddit else you be accused of being illiterate by some sperg with nothing better to do than pick fights on the internet.

Thx. I did the same. Losing 20 millions and time to rebuy three Belugas over and over again is stupid. I was killed while boosting out of the station. No scan warning, just an exploding dash board. Who designs this as "intended"? Really annoying.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 28, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Is that seriously intended? How are you meant to smuggle fugitives if the station instantly kills you? Does silent running work?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I don't understand. What is the mechanic that's murdering you?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

If you transport a wanted passenger it is the same as you being wanted and you get insta-gibbed by the station if you're scanned. Instead of a fine like it's been for illegal missions since the game came out.

"Oh you're carrying 240T of drugs? Please pay this small fine. What? You're carrying a criminal we could easily arrest upon docking? :commissar:"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

2spooky4me posted:

If you transport a wanted passenger it is the same as you being wanted and you get insta-gibbed by the station if you're scanned. Instead of a fine like it's been for illegal missions since the game came out.

"Oh you're carrying 240T of drugs? Please pay this small fine. What? You're carrying a criminal we could easily arrest upon docking? :commissar:"

That's aiding and abetting, citizen.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
It is indeed intended.

What's happening is that people are scanned carrying criminal masterminds and the station opens up, instantly destroying them. The mission text isn't clear enough about the risks and a fix is on the way.

e:f;b

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I would imagine the killing without warning is a bug. I don't have experience with it, but it seems like a reasonable mechanic as long as you a) know ahead of time you're taking a wanted passenger and b) scanning works like snuggling.

I dunno about a), haven't touched passengers yet and b) seems like... Again, a bug.

Also for all the bitching about frontier nerfing money pots, y'all forget that there is literally an easily exploited money maker available since... beta really. I would also argue that this game doesn't have much to offer if you just grind away mindlessly on some exploit or otherwise easy money maker to get the biggest ships and engineer upgrades; because those are currently the only real carrots and measures of progression in the game.

I mean I could care less if people abuse stuff but then you're removing a large reason to continue playing the game and you got there the worst and most boring way possible.

Maybe if there was a reason to care about factions and there was a better meta game sure rush the vettes and conda but....

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

2spooky4me posted:

What? You're carrying a criminal we could easily arrest upon docking? :commissar:"

How you gonna arrest them when they are leaving the station :smuggo:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Mr. Crow posted:

Also for all the bitching about frontier nerfing money pots, y'all forget that there is literally an easily exploited money maker available since... beta really. I would also argue that this game doesn't have much to offer if you just grind away mindlessly on some exploit or otherwise easy money maker to get the biggest ships and engineer upgrades; because those are currently the only real carrots and measures of progression in the game.

I feel like there's two kinds of players, players like you and players like me.

I ground out tons of money because I wanted to experience what I identified as the only content that at the time remained to me: every ship past the clipper. And it was awesome, the game really opened up for me - I could now fly anything without needing to min-max, experimenting ideas, gimmicks, loadouts, etc.

I realize that the other side would just argue that min-maxing is a mistake. But as a goal driven player, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now I feel like the game is best played as a sandbox where you're free to play with anything at any time without the burden of money. So whenever there's some quick scheme I point people at it.

E: I'm way past caring about money now, most of my playtime has been farting around in an Asp seeing places and ramping off mountains

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 28, 2016

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I guess if you're OK with absolute free form and direction less gameplay then i can understand that. I get bored in games like GTA Online unless I'm actively working towards something or participating in something (races never get old).

It'll be nice when/if there is more of a meta game to this.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is anyone else doing the conflict zone CG in Maia and if so, have you figured out a way to make the conflict zones appear? Changing game modes worked last night but it's not having any today.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Chrysophylax posted:

I realize that the other side would just argue that min-maxing is a mistake. But as a goal driven player, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I honestly don't get how you could play the game without goals. You see this "stop grinding and just play the game!" poo poo everywhere but what is this mysterious non-grinding part of the game? Exploring and then self-destructing so you don't make money? Is it just combat because apparently no one considers grinding at a RES/CZ to be grinding? Just going out and doing things at random, disregarding profit, and in theory eventually being able to change ships after a stupid amount of time?

The only thing that makes sense, in sort of a comedic way that gets mocked here, is the approach of mentally creating some massive self-insert fanfiction.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Well right now I'm memory hacking my way across the galaxy on my second account because I need to unlock palin again.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Mailer posted:

Just going out and doing things at random, disregarding profit, and in theory eventually being able to change ships after a stupid amount of time?

Yeah, but since they don't care for the biggest or the most expensive they think others don't either.

A few are also really old timers who did poo poo like King/Admiral before it became impossible after 1.3, ranking up organically. Then stuff like that became impossible to achieve if you didn't focus on it and I feel they don't get that.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

2spooky4me posted:

Don't get me wrong I think Elite's accessibly is something that can be improved. I wish I could give credits to friends who start playing to help get them into an Asp or something because I think that's when the game starts to open up.

Technically you can already do this with meta-alloy or other valuable drops, though it's nowhere near an ideal solution since it's tedious and risky.

Has FDev ever brought up credit transfers? I could imagine it's another one of those playerbase-dividing issues, though I dunno how the Muh Realism crowd could rationalise transferring intangible credits as "unrealistic".

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

nightwisher posted:

Technically you can already do this with meta-alloy or other valuable drops, though it's nowhere near an ideal solution since it's tedious and risky.

Has FDev ever brought up credit transfers? I could imagine it's another one of those playerbase-dividing issues, though I dunno how the Muh Realism crowd could rationalise transferring intangible credits as "unrealistic".

They would never agree to credit transfers because the Brown Sea would flip its poo poo over plebs being able to afford their top-tier autism chariots in a month or two. The cognitive dissonance is that these assholes all got max-rank when donation missions were 2000c each and you could get King/Admiral with ~5M in donations.

Also, these people act like it is unrealistic for someone "undeserving" to fly a big ship. You know: because everyone who owns a Porche irl earned it honestly working 9-5 at their construction job... :jerkbag:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
They rationalize it by saying it prevents gold selling. Which it doesn't, there's a few gold selling services already. 500 bucks for a billion, holy moley

E: removed link

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 28, 2016

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Mailer posted:

I honestly don't get how you could play the game without goals. You see this "stop grinding and just play the game!" poo poo everywhere but what is this mysterious non-grinding part of the game? Exploring and then self-destructing so you don't make money? Is it just combat because apparently no one considers grinding at a RES/CZ to be grinding? Just going out and doing things at random, disregarding profit, and in theory eventually being able to change ships after a stupid amount of time?

The only thing that makes sense, in sort of a comedic way that gets mocked here, is the approach of mentally creating some massive self-insert fanfiction.

Outfit a ship you enjoy flying as a jack of all trades plonk it down in a random station and take whichever missions/mix of missions take your fancy. You'll make money (slowly) and meander about to new places. If you get sick of any one thing you just don't take those missions for a while.

Variety it works for me.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Chrysophylax posted:

They rationalize it by saying it prevents gold selling. Which it doesn't, there's a few gold selling services already. 500 bucks for a billion, holy moley

E: removed link

I sold someone 5 billion for 50 back when the fine -> bounty exploit worked

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mailer posted:

That stuff you're grinding is the gameplay. If you only enjoy it because it's the path to getting the word 'King' on your status panel then I don't think you enjoy the game. Hell if you're that result driven, channel it into something cool and useful like not-videogames :shobon:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I sold someone 5 billion for 50 back when the fine -> bounty exploit worked

:eyepop: you undercharged, friend

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Strategic Tea posted:

Hell if you're that result driven, channel it into something cool and useful like not-videogames :shobon:

Yes, if someone doesn't enjoy a particular design they are A Bad Person Who Is Ruining Video Games and should get good or get out

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Chrysophylax posted:

:eyepop: you undercharged, friend

it was a goon and during the time of that exploit 5 bil took maybe 20 hours of afk macroing to get

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Would be cool if the Imperial grind lead up to where you're actually the minor feudal lord of some backwater system. You would get to tax the local commerce in return for having to fend off pirates, pay your security forces, and supply a monthly tithe (money or goods) to your Lord. Good choice for those who want to explore the management / space spreadsheet side of things.

In contrast the Federation grind would be managing a squadron, dealing with ship and supply procurement, patrol routes, keeping the peace, extorting the peasants, etc.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They would never agree to credit transfers because the Brown Sea would flip its poo poo over plebs being able to afford their top-tier autism chariots in a month or two. The cognitive dissonance is that these assholes all got max-rank when donation missions were 2000c each and you could get King/Admiral with ~5M in donations.

Also, these people act like it is unrealistic for someone "undeserving" to fly a big ship. You know: because everyone who owns a Porche irl earned it honestly working 9-5 at their construction job... :jerkbag:

I've always been both fascinated and repulsed by people who can't enjoy a video game without being absolutely sure everyone is playing exactly the way they think it should be played. In most games this is more funny than anything, since they're powerless and the devs usually ignore them, but I get the feeling that in ED the inmates are running this particular asylum. Anyway, joke's on them, I got all three top tier autism chariots in a matter of a few months and I did it almost entirely via Sothis (I am a strange person with too much time).

Anyway, this is one of those topics where they'd suddenly all become very concerned with the integrity and importance of the gameplay and how some immersion must be sacrificed for the sake of the game, before going back to the ship transfer thread to talk about how immersion demands dropping a fortune and waiting days to get your space car towed.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

kartikeya posted:

Anyway, this is one of those topics where they'd suddenly all become very concerned with the integrity and importance of the gameplay and how some immersion must be sacrificed for the sake of the game, before going back to the ship transfer thread to talk about how immersion demands dropping a fortune and waiting days to get your space car towed.

Characterizing it as a space car tow gave me an idea.

Space AAA. No, really. Pay a fee for membership and get access to reduced cost tow and, hell, throw in a gas service as well.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Conskill posted:

Characterizing it as a space car tow gave me an idea.

Space AAA. No, really. Pay a fee for membership and get access to reduced cost tow and, hell, throw in a gas service as well.

The fuel rats are space AAA for gas.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

INTJ Mastermind posted:

In contrast the Federation grind would be managing a squadron, dealing with ship and supply procurement, patrol routes, keeping the peace, extorting the peasants, etc.
Nah it should be realistic so you'd mainly deal with paperwork, creating edicts that screw over the enlisted, and having to deal with the fact that some dumbfuck space marine raped someone. Again.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Strategic Tea posted:

If you only enjoy it because it's the path to getting the word 'King' on your status panel then I don't think you enjoy the game.

I just can't understand the mental gymnastics required to play without (or pretend to play without) goals. Zero milestones, do what little you can in a Sidewinder, never touching Engineers or exploration because those both require some level of progression to engage with outside of playing randomly for literal years. Having goals adds value to the less attractive parts of the game and unlocks some really cool stuff that you don't get otherwise. Playing without any direction just feels like Space Progress Quest.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mailer posted:

I just can't understand the mental gymnastics required to play without (or pretend to play without) goals. Zero milestones, do what little you can in a Sidewinder, never touching Engineers or exploration because those both require some level of progression to engage with outside of playing randomly for literal years. Having goals adds value to the less attractive parts of the game and unlocks some really cool stuff that you don't get otherwise. Playing without any direction just feels like Space Progress Quest.
That's absolutely not what he's saying at all.

It's possible to play with goals in mind without obsessing over optimum credits per hour. Just because you aren't constantly trawling reddit for the latest get rich quick less slowly scheme doesn't mean you're rudderless, gently caress me.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 29, 2016

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mailer posted:

Goal driven is not synonymous with grinding. I have the same goals, as you because there are not really any other goals presently in the game (meta game I keep referring to, better factions etc), which is get bigger ships and mod them.

You say how could you play this game without goals and I agree 100%. The difference is you're getting to the goal asap and.... Then what? You either quit because you're bored or you are OK with your now directionless gameplay. I however like variety and mixing it up, so I do whatever I fancy to get the most enjoyment out of the game with the end goal that is still the same.

That doesn't mean I'm some hillbilly floating around doing nothing and not caring about PROFITSSSS (teladi here), I still only do missions that pay well and do CGs that are paying well too.

There is a pretty massive world of difference between hauling poo poo from point a to point b for a week straight and looking for high paying missions that fill whatever gameplay void you have at that moment, it's funny you can't see that.

I'm not saying it isn't a valid form of gameplay either, obviously lots of people like MMOs (see Korean MMOs) and Minecraft etc. All I was saying is your going to be let down and bitter if you grind and then don't like a COYA mental fanfic at the end.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I think the difference in playstyles can be best summed up as:

A) I need to upgrade my FSD, better go to an Anarchy/War system and kill T9s until I have enough Chemical Manipulators so that I can make 50! :derp:

and

B) Oh neat! I can upgrade my FSD, when I have enough stuff from playing the game like I normally do, I can do that! :smugbert:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Space pokemon is pretty cool. Got my pilot up from Harmless to Expert and she manages the corvette pretty decently in a CZ now. Whether or not she gets EXP credit for a kill seems a little wonky sometimes though. Might be better to take it hazres once it looks like she can consistently handle a 1v1.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
The important difference is that if you're the first type of person, there are a lot of games (like say, EVE) that do not give you the sense that the developers hate you and want you to suffer constantly during the experience. Fortunately, (again like EVE) there's always some exploit that will get you enough money for an Anaconda in a week and then you don't worry about how you'll fund any of your goals, you just do whatever comes to mind.

Though (B) is not much better - how many people consider grind gameplay normal who aren't comfortable with the amount of money they have? It's like golf only you don't even get to go outside.

e: I just thought of the espionage and roleplaying PVP as a counterexample; most of that you can totally do in a Sidewinder, it just can't pay out since the devs are weirdly terrified of player-owned anything.

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 29, 2016

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I feel like as the game continues to grow well almost assuredly get player owned stuff. Obviously probably never full blown stations and maybe not even outposts (although both would be super cool as part of some larger player faction overhaul that is nothing like EVE), but the original elite let you own like mining platforms etc so I don't know why they wouldn't eventually do it.

Especially when they get the walking around stuff implemented, you'll have to have housing etc.

That's probably like 5 years away though at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I just had a minor epiphany that the ship launched fighters are barely larger than an SRV. You can fly through or fit in just about anywhere the buggy can on planetary outposts.

• Locked thread