Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Why doesn't Ollie just deputize himself and everyone else and then just run around all day fighting climb? Or crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Spergatory posted:

Saw a gif of Ragman and was like "...huh." So I came here to see what the general opinion RE: show is. Because one thing I remember from last season was that before Laurelgate and the disastrophe that was the Olicity breakup, Arrow was crazy fun and seemed to be having the time of its life for awhile. Is it back in that place?

What I've heard makes me optimistic. I like the idea of Oliver having a team of fellow heroes with different skills and specializations. Mr. Terrific with the gadgets, Ragman with the weird tentacle poo poo and being basically a metahuman, and... ummm... others? The point being they aren't all just Other Arrows, or people in fetish gear who like punching bad guys.

So what's the verdict? Dare I watch? Is there reason to hope again?

I came back for this season because I've heard rumblings Barry's Flashpoint "fix" will bring Laurel back to life somehow. I'm glad I gave it another shot, Ollie's a good balance between grimdark Hood and nice guy Green Arrow right now. There's also been 100000% less drawn out drama, I mean we just went through the whole "whoops nuked a city" arc with Ragman and Felicity in two episodes, and the basic plot was

:black101: I forgive you but don't know if I can work with you
:ohdear: But we really need you
:black101: meh I'll get over it then

Keep in mind that, for the last two seasons, the show starts really strong and then falls apart into stupid drama after the mid-season break. My advice would be to watch until then and be wary after.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Chokes McGee posted:

I came back for this season because I've heard rumblings Barry's Flashpoint "fix" will bring Laurel back to life somehow.

I still don't understand how people think that's going to go down. Any timeline changes that would have resulted from Flashpoint are already in effect (like Diggle's child switching genders), and Laurel is still so incredibly dead that it's been the driving force of much of the season for Oliver. And even if Barry goes back in time again (despite the writers of his show essentially turning to the camera and apologizing for how convoluted everything had gotten because of time travel), any changes that result would not seem like changes to anyone on Arrow, just to Barry. So you wouldn't get Laurel's dramatic return and the fallout of that with Oliver and the new team, you'd get everything so far this season more or less erased and reset back to how it was at the end of last season, and done in such a way that it would only be acknowledged on Arrow in the "Previously On..." segment.

I know it's all based on interviews and spoilers and all that, but those have been misleading before and I don't see a way the show can pull off this trick without getting really stupid.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe she'll pull a Jason Todd and punch her way out of her coffin.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

DarklyDreaming posted:

It really helps that they scaled everything back and made the lead villain an ordinary if enjoyably charismatic crimeboss. No more saving the world, just lowering the crime rate in Star City and building a legacy of crimefighting. And looking good while doing it

Cutty's just a momentary street-level distraction like Vinnie Jones, no way he's the main villain for the season. He'll probably be done before the mid-season break, maybe even next episode. The main villain will probably be someone from Oliver's past in Russia who shows up in the present (and somehow has magic wizard powers now.)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the main villain for this season is probably Prometheus, but I expect to see Church all season. he's been really good, as has the new team dynamic. hope springs eternal

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

ShakeZula posted:

I still don't understand how people think that's going to go down. Any timeline changes that would have resulted from Flashpoint are already in effect (like Diggle's child switching genders), and Laurel is still so incredibly dead that it's been the driving force of much of the season for Oliver. And even if Barry goes back in time again (despite the writers of his show essentially turning to the camera and apologizing for how convoluted everything had gotten because of time travel), any changes that result would not seem like changes to anyone on Arrow, just to Barry. So you wouldn't get Laurel's dramatic return and the fallout of that with Oliver and the new team, you'd get everything so far this season more or less erased and reset back to how it was at the end of last season, and done in such a way that it would only be acknowledged on Arrow in the "Previously On..." segment.

I know it's all based on interviews and spoilers and all that, but those have been misleading before and I don't see a way the show can pull off this trick without getting really stupid.

Supergirl's going to swing at Doomsday or something, miss, and accidentally punch the barrier between dimensions hard enough to erase the writers' incredibly stupid decision

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Comedy option: Laurel is Prometheus

It would make sense too, seeing as how she was probably one of the people most affected by Oliver's S1 crusade.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Given that they're hiding his face, the chance that Prometheus is someone we don't already know is precisely zero. Let's speculate!

POSSIBILITIES:
Malcolm, again.
Oliver's dad, back from the grave to give his son a spanking.
Oliver's mom, for the same reason.
That Guy Oliver's dad shot in the head.
SLADE'S REVENGE. :black101:
Zombie Laurel. :zombie:
Future Oliver.
Roy! Finally, he has something to do! :neckbeard:

I'm leaving out the most obvious guess because I'm 99% sure it's been in the thread already.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Scyantific posted:

Comedy option: Laurel is Prometheus

It would make sense too, seeing as how she was probably one of the people most affected by Oliver's S1 crusade.

I would laugh and laugh and laugh and never stop laughing

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
That would be 100% comic book bullshit.

:byodood:"But... but.. you're so dead we built a statue to you!"

:byodame:"My sister is Sara Lance, Time Lesbian. Aint' gotta explain poo poo!"

Seriously, why haven't they pulled a Chrono Trigger with her yet?

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 28, 2016

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

OB_Juan posted:

But... the CW refused to change.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

OB_Juan posted:

That would be 100% comic book bullshit.

:byodood:"But... but.. you're so dead we built a statue to you!"

:byodame:"My sister is Sara Lance, Time Lesbian. Aint' gotta explain poo poo!"

It's not organic enough.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Rhyno posted:

The simple solution is they are just going to grab an alternate earth laurel. Since that is what they are doing with Wells on Flash.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

King Burgundy posted:

The simple solution is they are just going to grab an alternate earth laurel. Since that is what they are doing with Wells on Flash.

Mime-Canary

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

King Burgundy posted:

I thought they already had one chilling in superjail?

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Maybe They'll pull a Death In The Family & have the audience vote on if Wild Dog lives or dies

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Dead Snoopy posted:

Maybe They'll pull a Death In The Family & have the audience vote on if Wild Dog lives or dies

*Furiously sends in write in ballot for Felicity*

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

R-Type posted:

Isn't that one going to be on Legends?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
This season of Arrow is much improved.
Apart from Curtis's T mask being dumb as gently caress and the bulletproof rag monster not going in on the gun wielding dudes and letting the murdering pointless flip Roy replacement get captured.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

also i can't remember who the guy lance was sticking close to this episode is but rn he's my guess for prometheus

He's the new DA, Adrian Chase aka the Vigilante.

Also it's kind of goofy how Oliver has gotten in to the house stealing seeing as he's been hanging out in the old Hive base.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

spooky like this! posted:

He's the new DA, Adrian Chase aka the Vigilante.

Also it's kind of goofy how Oliver has gotten in to the house stealing seeing as he's been hanging out in the old Hive base.

Why waste a perfectly good secret bunker?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

You mean... Sparta? :smug:

King Burgundy posted:

Works for me! Ship master martial artist and cool biker lady Dinah Lance over from Earth-14 or whatever, give her the actual Canary Cry with metahuman powers, and we're g2g

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Interesting to see that they're talking about Kord Industries again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

R-Type posted:

You can never have too many Katie Cassiday's. She's gonna form her own team composed of a dozen versions of herself.

Bad Moon posted:

*Furiously sends in write in ballot for Felicity*

Imagine if they did a "vote for who dies" thing with Arrow. More people would write in Felicity than would vote in the next presidential election.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can we call her Laurelternate?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Spergatory posted:

I'm leaving out the most obvious guess because I'm 99% sure it's been in the thread already.

Tommy?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't he on some NBC show or something?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Isn't he on some NBC show or something?
Yes, Chicago Med. Don't worry, I hadn't heard of it before either.

Interview stuff:
TVLINE | Might we see you as Arrow‘s Tommy on Legends of Tomorrow since it’s time traveling into the past?
I’m all down for it. I would be so happy to be back on Arrow or on Legends of Tomorrow, in whatever capacity. There’s got to be something where an evil Tommy pops up. I want him to be totally different than what he was before.

TVLINE | So Earth-Two Tommy on The Flash?
Yes! That would be amazing! We need to talk to [executive producers] Marc [Guggenheim] and Andrew [Kreisberg]. How do we make this happen? I need a day off from Med first… I love those guys. I’ve always said, any time they’ve got stuff for me, if it works out with the schedule, I would love to come back, and even more so now. I haven’t felt like I’ve left the family in any way.

My own analysis:
So the actor would be happy to do it if his schedule works out. From a story perspective, Tommy Merlyn makes sense. He could get all the gear, training, and Lazarus Pit evil spirit resurrection from dear old dad. And as far as actor availability, the stunt double can fill in until the reveal.

nelson fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 29, 2016

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

nelson posted:

Yes, Chicago Med. Don't worry, I hadn't heard of it before either.

Interview stuff:
TVLINE | Might we see you as Arrow‘s Tommy on Legends of Tomorrow since it’s time traveling into the past?
I’m all down for it. I would be so happy to be back on Arrow or on Legends of Tomorrow, in whatever capacity. There’s got to be something where an evil Tommy pops up. I want him to be totally different than what he was before.

TVLINE | So Earth-Two Tommy on The Flash?
Yes! That would be amazing! We need to talk to [executive producers] Marc [Guggenheim] and Andrew [Kreisberg]. How do we make this happen? I need a day off from Med first… I love those guys. I’ve always said, any time they’ve got stuff for me, if it works out with the schedule, I would love to come back, and even more so now. I haven’t felt like I’ve left the family in any way.

My own analysis:
So the actor would be happy to do it if his schedule works out. From a story perspective, Tommy Merlyn makes sense. He could get all the gear, training, and Lazarus Pit evil spirit resurrection from dear old dad. And as far as actor availability, the stunt double can fill in until the reveal.

I have never hoped for anything so hard when it comes to a TV show.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

While it is a very good season so far, Felicity still sucks and has cry talked like at least once every episode except the first.

Once. per episode.

That's still like an 80% decrease from end of last season man, come on.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
And its a legitimate reason that's not just sloppy relationship stuff. I'd be more pissed if they didn't mention the tens of thousands of deaths!

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Given that they're hiding his face, the chance that Prometheus is someone we don't already know is precisely zero. Let's speculate!

POSSIBILITIES:
Malcolm, again.
Future Oliver.

You forgot the obvious... statue Laurel made of chocolate!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's kind of bugging me is Curtis' Mr Terrific hair. There's no way he's just quick changing into that and back.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Spergatory posted:

POSSIBILITIES:
Malcolm, again.
Future Oliver.

Or, you know, they haven't cast him yet.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

muscles like this! posted:

Something that's kind of bugging me is Curtis' Mr Terrific hair. There's no way he's just quick changing into that and back.

It's a clip on.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Look who's coming to Arrow

It's Talia

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Captain Sara Lance fires up the Wave Rider as another target presents itself

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

muscles like this! posted:

I haven't really gotten a good look at his hair in costume because every time I see his extremely dumb mask I tab out and wait for the scene to end.

Curtis is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Not going to lie, the New Kids/Backstreet Boys joke made me giggle.

• Locked thread