Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sigma-X posted:

I don't get why that gifts pile has quicken

commandeer isn't very good when played at sorcery speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
So you can play unburial rites at instant speed if they put the gear hulk in your graveyard.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Best part of vintage champs is that there is actually room in the hall.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elyv posted:

What are you commandeering in modern, become Immense?

obviously their ad nauseam in your deck full of expensive poo poo

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

obviously their ad nauseam in your deck full of expensive poo poo

Wow way to steal my plan!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Winter Orb is just magical.
:allears:

I won this game, maybe 10 turns later?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

commandeer isn't very good when played at sorcery speed

wat

Molybdenum posted:

So you can play unburial rites at instant speed if they put the gear hulk in your graveyard.

Oh this makes sense, thanks!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Winter Orb is just magical.
:allears:

I won this game, maybe 10 turns later?

what the gently caress are you playing?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Sigma-X posted:

what the gently caress are you playing?

Opposition. So much tilt, so much fun. Practicing for Baltimore. Have gone 4-0 and 2-2 locally in paper. I think 4-0 had a lot to do with being paired against Infect twice, though...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Opposition. So much tilt, so much fun. Practicing for Baltimore. Have gone 4-0 and 2-2 locally in paper. I think 4-0 had a lot to do with being paired against Infect twice, though...

Is this the same as that 80-card elf deck you were talking about earlier? If not :justpost: a list, I'm curious.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Is this the same as that 80-card elf deck you were talking about earlier? If not :justpost: a list, I'm curious.

I stole this from a list that top 8'd a Bazaar of Moxen, but have been playing around with it. Currently it is

3 Tropical Island
2 Bayou
3 wooded foothills
4 windswept heath
misty rainforest
verdant catacomb
2 dryad arbor
1 forest
3 gaea's cradle

3 noble hierarch
3 baleful strix
3 elvish visionary
4 coiling oracle
4 deathrite shaman
wirewood symbiote
3 shardless agent
craterhoof behemoth

3 opposition
3 garruk wildspeaker
3 cabal therapy
thoughtseize
sylvan library
4 green sun's zenith
2 Abrupt Decay

board
Umezawa's Jitte
2 Surgical Extraction
Reclamation Sage
Scavenging Ooze
2 Marsh Casualties
Stain the Mind
Dread of Night
2 Winter Orb
2 thoughtseize
abrupt decay
leovold, emissary of trest

I have some thoughts on matchups if anyone is curious, I've played this a few times in paper and a bunch more online. I've also tested against DnT until we were both sick of it and then some because I can take lunch breaks with a thalia.dec player.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 29, 2016

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Started 6-1 at eternal vintage but ended up 6-3 when the wheels came off.

Ended up being in the top four of powerless.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Anyone have lists from Eternal Weekend's NA Legacy Championship? There were some hot decks in the stream today but I didn't get to see the top 8 or lists.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Ville Valo posted:

Anyone have lists from Eternal Weekend's NA Legacy Championship? There were some hot decks in the stream today but I didn't get to see the top 8 or lists.

Eldrazi
Death and Taxes
Miracles
Death and Taxes
Death and Taxes
BR Reanimator
4c Delver
Hex Depths

Actual lists --- Vintage up top, legacy below http://www.cardtitan.com/coverage

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Tried to watch some Vintage and I got 15 mins of players shuffling while Randy Buehler tries to fill time...

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Dehtraen posted:

Eldrazi
Death and Taxes
Miracles
Death and Taxes
Death and Taxes
BR Reanimator
4c Delver
Hex Depths

Oh, that Soldiers deck didn't make it? :(

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ville Valo posted:

Lost to miracles on t4 to a topdecked entreat

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ville Valo posted:

Was this the Stompy version that pops up a couple times a year? Have most of it built but got lazy about finishing it since there's no Legacy around here (and also $60 Cavern of Souls :negative:)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Was this the Stompy version that pops up a couple times a year? Have most of it built but got lazy about finishing it since there's no Legacy around here (and also $60 Cavern of Souls :negative:)

The one that proves that the other 67 cards don't matter if 8 of your cards are Ancient Tomb Chalice of the Void?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

Eldrazi
Death and Taxes
Miracles
Death and Taxes
Death and Taxes
BR Reanimator
4c Delver
Hex Depths

well i guess i'll just throw delver in the garbage

e: i know there is literally a delver list in there but playing against the card "sword of fire and ice" makes me very sad

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Did i mention that the pacing on this stream is HORRIBLE?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

what happened to your NRA av

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

The one that proves that the other 67 cards don't matter if 8 of your cards are Ancient Tomb Chalice of the Void?

That's why I haven't taken it apart yet, lol

I'd just use them to build Eldrazi if I could get City of Traitors for less than a Benjamin per copy.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I've been playing a lot of modern merfolk recently and was looking at building the legacy version. I'd probably be playing mostly on MTGO, though there is a small legacy crowd that's beginning to grow in my area so I may translate it into paper. Is it actually any good or am I going to get stomped by more common archtypes like miracles and delver.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mef989 posted:

I've been playing a lot of modern merfolk recently and was looking at building the legacy version. I'd probably be playing mostly on MTGO, though there is a small legacy crowd that's beginning to grow in my area so I may translate it into paper. Is it actually any good or am I going to get stomped by more common archtypes like miracles and delver.

Merfolk is actually kinda favorable against miracles.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

C-Euro posted:

That's why I haven't taken it apart yet, lol

I'd just use them to build Eldrazi if I could get City of Traitors for less than a Benjamin per copy.

glhf

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cactrot posted:

Merfolk is actually kinda favorable against miracles.

Everyone always says this (they also say it about every deck so :shrug:) and I've never seen it win a game, let alone a match.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Merfolk has the same problem that every creature deck does against Miracles: Terminus.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

suicidesteve posted:

Everyone always says this (they also say it about every deck so :shrug:) and I've never seen it win a game, let alone a match.

I've never dropped a match against miracles either though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

p much. Fortunately(?) there's only one weekly Legacy event around here and it's at the same time as my favorite gym class, so there's no point in me trying to build anything right now.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Man, vintage top 8 had some real drama going on this morning. The eventual winner got deck-checked for 20 minutes, was told 2 of his cards (crucible and sol ring) were clearly marked (the only foils in his deck, single sleeved and very curved)had to replace only one of them immediately (the other had to be replaced after the match, which makes little sense if it really was marked) and got no penalty for it. Did get a warning for insufficient randomization though for other reasons we were told. Many people around were quite :mad: about this both ways. Most everyone but his team were mad that he got off completely scot-free for something so seemingly serious, while his team seemed very mad that anyone would dare impugn his honor that way. Apparently his team (vintage magic) have a reputation for being savage cheaters at other events in the past, which made the whole situation that much more charged and tense.

n1tro
Dec 12, 2005

L0cke17 posted:

Man, vintage top 8 had some real drama going on this morning. The eventual winner got deck-checked for 20 minutes, was told 2 of his cards (crucible and sol ring) were clearly marked (the only foils in his deck, single sleeved and very curved)had to replace only one of them immediately (the other had to be replaced after the match, which makes little sense if it really was marked) and got no penalty for it. Did get a warning for insufficient randomization though for other reasons we were told. Many people around were quite :mad: about this both ways. Most everyone but his team were mad that he got off completely scot-free for something so seemingly serious, while his team seemed very mad that anyone would dare impugn his honor that way. Apparently his team (vintage magic) have a reputation for being savage cheaters at other events in the past, which made the whole situation that much more charged and tense.

Randy and Bob were referring to him as "the sketchy one" before the stream officially started (the mics were already on). They were also talking about possibly providing evidence of cheating.

n1tro fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 31, 2016

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
There an archive somewhere of this vintage tournament?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

There an archive somewhere of this vintage tournament?

https://www.twitch.tv/cardtitan/videos/all

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

ETM had a controversial judge ruling on a chalice.

Player a casts chalice on 1.
Player a casts pithing needle. It resolves.
Passes turn to player b.
Player b untaps and notices the missed the chalice trigger.

The judge ruled the pithing needle stays in play. Current procedure dictates that a missed trigger gets added to the stack at the moment it was missed. In this case, the missed chalice trigger goes on the stack, but pithing needle is already in play and therefore there is nothing to counter.

I agree that it was handled by the book, but It seems like everyone agrees that re-winding in this specific case would have been a much better solution.

I wonder if we could add a little discretion for these situations. Perhaps allowing the game state to be re-wound if both players and the judge agree to do it. Of course this opens up the possibility for player a to rule scum his opponent and not allow the re-wind. It jus seems impossible to have a ruleset that will always find the correct option, so I feel there should be some avenue to customize the option for the specific setting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The head judge already has discretion to backup the game state if the "appropriate" fix without backing up leaves the game in a stupid situation.

Just give the head judge the discretion to also do that for missed-trigger cases where the opponent wants the trigger to be resolved.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

suicidesteve posted:

I play Miracles, I have a friend who plays Merfolk who I have played against many times and watched play against many times. The matchup is not good for Miracles if the Merfolk player doesn't wildly overextend into Terminus without countermagic backup. Counterbalance is next to worthless and a single TNN demands a Terminus, Council's Judgment, or EE, and Chalice on 1 is a huge beating. Mutavaults are also incredibly annoying for the Miracles player if they are not overextended into a big Terminus.

Postboard Moat is big game against them - their only out is usually 1-2 Echoing Truth if that - otherwise it's still not great.

I would call it at least a 60-40 matchup for Merfolk if not better. IIRC I am like 2-7 personally against my experienced Merfolk friend.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 31, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

ETM had a controversial judge ruling on a chalice.

Player a casts chalice on 1.
Player a casts pithing needle. It resolves.
Passes turn to player b.
Player b untaps and notices the missed the chalice trigger.

The judge ruled the pithing needle stays in play. Current procedure dictates that a missed trigger gets added to the stack at the moment it was missed. In this case, the missed chalice trigger goes on the stack, but pithing needle is already in play and therefore there is nothing to counter.

I agree that it was handled by the book, but It seems like everyone agrees that re-winding in this specific case would have been a much better solution.

I wonder if we could add a little discretion for these situations. Perhaps allowing the game state to be re-wound if both players and the judge agree to do it. Of course this opens up the possibility for player a to rule scum his opponent and not allow the re-wind. It jus seems impossible to have a ruleset that will always find the correct option, so I feel there should be some avenue to customize the option for the specific setting.

Why would you rewind there though? It's the chalice's owner's responsibility to remember that trigger. Playing into a chalice to see if your opponent is paying attention is perfectly reasonable. I suppose if nothing else happened to the boardstate then yeah, you could argue for a rewind but it's still a legal play and a textbook ruling.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why would you rewind there though? It's the chalice's owner's responsibility to remember that trigger. Playing into a chalice to see if your opponent is paying attention is perfectly reasonable. I suppose if nothing else happened to the boardstate then yeah, you could argue for a rewind but it's still a legal play and a textbook ruling.

It was Player A missing his own chalice trigger.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

It was Player A missing his own chalice trigger.

Ohhh well I misread that and made some incorrect assumptions. Then yeah, I disagree with that ruling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

L0cke17 posted:

Man, vintage top 8 had some real drama going on this morning. The eventual winner got deck-checked for 20 minutes, was told 2 of his cards (crucible and sol ring) were clearly marked (the only foils in his deck, single sleeved and very curved)had to replace only one of them immediately (the other had to be replaced after the match, which makes little sense if it really was marked) and got no penalty for it. Did get a warning for insufficient randomization though for other reasons we were told.

Yeah, that's straight wrong, it's a Game Loss for upgraded Marked Cards and they should need to change both (and frankly, with the single-sleeving and insufficient randomisation on top I'm investigating for Cheating).

Jabor posted:

The head judge already has discretion to backup the game state if the "appropriate" fix without backing up leaves the game in a stupid situation.

Just give the head judge the discretion to also do that for missed-trigger cases where the opponent wants the trigger to be resolved.

The Head Judge always has discretion to ignore policy, but they should be really careful about doing so. Policy is there to provide consistency.

Again, this is a snap-investigation and they're going to have to do a reaaaaal good job convincing me that going "Chalice on 1, 1-drop miss trigger" isn't cheating (probably the only way this isn't is if they didn't know they can't deliberately miss their trigger)