Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They should've just put the Touch Bar along the top of that giant trackpad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

MrBond posted:

Probably a safe bet that anyone that will be running boot camp on this thing will also buy the usb A dongle.

I need to plug in my external USB A storage regardless. At least theres stuff on Amazon for less than half of what Apple's charging. My mouse is bluetooth though.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
So does charging over USB-C mean I could conceivably have a USB hub that charges my laptop? Because only having to plug in one cable would be sick as hell.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Call me crazy, but since MBPs are now charging off USB-C, why can't we get a Mac Mini the size of an Apple TV with a mini-DisplayPort and a couple USB-C ports?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Because Apple don't give a gently caress about desktop anymore

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Dubstep Jesus posted:

So does charging over USB-C mean I could conceivably have a USB hub that charges my laptop? Because only having to plug in one cable would be sick as hell.
Yes, since that's straight up required on the 12" Macbook.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

It's expensive. It got hot and touching the screen was uncomfortable. It's not as wieldy as any ipad I've ever used. It's too heavy. It runs Windows 10 . The kickstand felt unbalanced, you can't really use it on your lap. It's easy to just knock it flat over by accident. The type cover is a so-so keyboard. The touchpad was terrible. The keyboard cover goes flush up against the screen, and folds flat behind the surface pro so any table dirt that attaches to the bottom of the surface becomes the screen cover. The cover was an extra $130 when I bought it. Battery life wasn't good enough for me. The pen was kind of glitchy and not as accurate as I thought it would be, so it wasn't a good replacement for paper for my purpose, which is writing equations. Resting an arm on the surface felt horrible, because it was too hot.

I could maybe go on.

The charger was straight out of 1982. Magsafe looks like an art piece by comparison.

It felt cheap as gently caress, low build quality.

I have a 1st gen Surface. The screen is completely scratched because of the attached keyboard cover and it's gone through 2 magnetic chargers because the glue separating. I was kind of excited to hear Microsoft was recalling their chargers. Ends up it's the brick part. Apparently the part that self destructs after less than a year works just fine.

And even though Microsoft controls both the software and the hardware, installing Windows 10 was a disaster. It 'forgot' all networking protocols since 1999. The only options were cable modems and ISDN on a device with no Ethernet port. Ends up that's what happens when you try to install the Windows 10 beta on a Surface with antivirus enabled. Because apparently Microsoft QA's this stuff with no 3rd party antivirus enabled. Windows Defender for life, yo.

And the battery...I think it ranks as the most difficult thing to replace on iFixIt. I read it costs like $300 to swap. So after 3 years you'd better enjoy keeping it plugged into those chargers that need to be replaced regularly.

Macs don't seem so bad now.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 29, 2016

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Linguica posted:

Yes, since that's straight up required on the 12" Macbook.

Dope. Can't wait to buy one in like 4 years.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ethanol posted:

It's expensive. It got hot and touching the screen was uncomfortable. It's not as wieldy as any ipad I've ever used. It's too heavy. It runs Windows 10 . The kickstand felt unbalanced, you can't really use it on your lap. It's easy to just knock it flat over by accident. The type cover is a so-so keyboard. The touchpad was terrible. The keyboard cover goes flush up against the screen, and folds flat behind the surface pro so any table dirt that attaches to the bottom of the surface becomes the screen cover. The cover was an extra $130 when I bought it. Battery life wasn't good enough for me. The pen was kind of glitchy and not as accurate as I thought it would be, so it wasn't a good replacement for paper for my purpose, which is writing equations. Resting an arm on the surface felt horrible, because it was too hot.

I could maybe go on.

The charger was straight out of 1982. Magsafe looks like an art piece by comparison.

It felt cheap as gently caress, low build quality.

Regarding the pen, the one that comes with it is trash. I picked up a nice Sony for about $30 and it works perfectly 100% of the time. Game changer in the pen department.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Are the processor upgrades on the 13" with touch bar worth it? $100 for +200mhz and $300 for +400 and move to i7.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Depends on if you think a 5 or 10% speed boost is worth a few hundred bucks.

Honestly I'm a little surprised they haven't gone to the iDevice model with just one CPU/RAM config and nothing but storage bumps.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Jealous Cow posted:

Are the processor upgrades on the 13" with touch bar worth it? $100 for +200mhz and $300 for +400 and move to i7.

Processor Ghz upgrades are not worth it, not at these small of increases.
Going from i5 to i7 possibly is but highly depends on your workload needs.

Better off getting the base model of whatever i5/i7 you want and upgrading memory, ssd space instead.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I don't use VMs very often and mostly run a ton of heavy safari and chrome tabs, excel, and a postgresql server/client on occasion.

My 2012 15" rmbp with the quad i7 is still mostly powerful enough, but the drive is too small (256) and I have issues working with large files due to only having 8gb of ram.

Also it's too loving big to use on a plane.

On one hand I think the 2.9 i5 would give me 4+ years of use, but on the other $300 compared to the whole purchase isn't much.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

I am surprised that people are upset about not being able to have more than 16 GB of RAM. I don't see any reason to run that many VMs on a laptop.

The product we ship at work has a recommended minimum of 8 cores and 32GB of ram, developers have i7s with 16GB ram and they have to run them with ~6 cores and 8GB of ram and it just barely boots. We're right on the cusp of not being able to do dev work offline anymore and having to buy a GCE cluster for each dev because Apple apparently isn't capable of shipping a professional product with a xeon processor and 32 GB of ram like Lenovo HP or Dell.

But our entire toolchain is on OSX so we're going to struggle through this until either the product needs even more horsepower (likely) or Apple puts out a product that developers can use.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Also, this is pretty lovely:

They call out 2133MHz memory in the CPU FAQ but don't even use that speed.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

gently caress it, I just canceled my order for the $3000 MBP I placed yesterday. I was just going to go with this as my sole machine. The straw that broke this camel's back is the realization I would have to buy an expensive monitor (especially if I wanted a 27inch 5k). Photo editing is my big thing and after editing on a 27 iMac (which was recently stolen) there is no way I want to go to a lesser setup. Also, I'd have to get a few more hard drives which would probably run $300-$400 more. Add all that to the fact that this thing is running old hardware for a higher price. I give up

Considering I can get a brand new 5k iMac that's way better than my stolen late 2013 for 2k, I just did that. Now I definitely don't need a pro laptop. For me a laptop is a nice to have for the most part and a need only every now and then. I think what I'm going to do is get my fiancé whatever mac she wants (she doesn't have any computer right now) and just borrow it when I need it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Linguica posted:

Honestly I'm a little surprised they haven't gone to the iDevice model with just one CPU/RAM config and nothing but storage bumps.

Hard to do that when people will pay hundreds for a few hundred extra MHz

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Splinter posted:

Hard to do that when people will pay hundreds for a few hundred extra MHz
Sure, and if Apple really wanted to they could bin especially good A10s or whatever they're on now and have a super-premium higher-clocked iPhone / iPad variant, but they decided it's not worth it for whatever reason.

eames
May 9, 2009

Apple confirmed to Nilay Patel of "The Verge" that they are out of the standalone monitor business.

https://mobile.twitter.com/reckless/status/792069952916197376

That also kills any hope for official eGPU support and doesn't bode well for Mac Minis/Mac Pros. The bad news keeps on coming.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why does it not bode well for the Mac Mini? A lot of people buy it to just plug it into a TV or whatever monitor they already have.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Did it even waste power or was it simply lit by the LCD backlight itself?

The latter. It was just the LCD backlight. You'll see it changes brightness with the backlight brightness.

I'm guessing to make it super ultra thin, whatever the hell they are trying to do, they couldn't waste space on that diffusing little window. It does have to fit into something, after all.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

As it stands at this moment, you cannot purchase a monitor through Apple that is compatible with the Mac mini. Two monitors on the site, one USB-C, one Thunderbolt 3. So yeah, I'd say things aren't looking great for the mini. That's just leaving money on the table, not offering any kind of display for your product, forcing your customers to buy elsewhere. Might as well make the whole purchase elsewhere.

RIP Mac mini

Edit: didn't see this posted here yet, but apparently the new MacBook Pro non touchbar model has a removable SSD. Could bode well for aftermarket parts.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Monitor didn't sell well anymore so they killed it. It says nothing about the mini or the Pro.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Monitor didn't sell well anymore so they killed it. It says nothing about the mini or the Pro.

Then why not throw any old HDMI monitor Apple picks into the store inventory? As it stands if you buy a Mac mini at an Apple Store, unless you have an old monitor, you can't use what's in the box. So why sell half a package? That's just bad marketing.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
What says something about the mini and pro is the fact that they haven't been updated and if they were it would have been at this event. Hello Again would have been where this would have happened. It didn't. It's not gonna.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SourKraut posted:

Did it even waste power or was it simply lit by the LCD backlight itself? Maybe it sounds dumb but the lit Apple logo had become iconic in and of itself, and a part of me is actually frustrated that they removed it.

I know someone who worked for Apple waaaay back when the first lit logos happened. He hasn't been there in aeons and Steve Jobs is 5 years dead in his grave so I'm probably not gonna get my buddy killed for breaking omerta if I mention some things he told me back in the day.

They do borrow light from the backlight. In notebook LCDs, backlights shine light inwards from the edges, firing into the edge of a diffuser sheet with an opaque white backer. To make the logo light up, Apple had to punch a hole in the backer to let some light out the backside of the LCD panel.

From what he said, the lit logo was a happy accident feature, not a thing they'd planned to put in. (More or less: "hey we've got this milky white plastic logo insert in this upcoming Mac. Wacky idea: what if we have a tech cut a hole in a prototype's LCD panel backer and make that poo poo glow?". Instant internal hit, the rest is history.) Also, it is not without downsides; you can end up with a visibly dark spot in the middle of the LCD panel if you're not careful.

Shifting from history to speculation, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the reason it's gone is that all these new generation USB-C Macs have a new LCD panel type with better color gamut and brightness. The brightness comes partially (or completely?) from LCD pixels that let more light through, as opposed to just cranking up the backlight power. With this new LCD panel tech it might have become impossible to avoid a noticeable dark spot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

Then why not throw any old HDMI monitor Apple picks into the store inventory? As it stands if you buy a Mac mini at an Apple Store, unless you have an old monitor, you can't use what's in the box. So why sell half a package? That's just bad marketing.

No ones buying a $1000 monitor with their $500 Mac Mini. Pros moved on to Dell Ultrasharps years ago.

Everyone else finally caught up to Apple monitor standards so why bother, there's not enough margin in it anymore.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SaturdayKnight posted:

Who was buying $1300 Apple monitors to use with their Mac Mini in the first place? Probably like 0.0001% of Mini customers. Apple has always advertised the Mac Mini being compatible with the keyboard/mouse/monitor you have at home already.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Why does anyone think the mini or pro is alive?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jealous Cow posted:

Also, this is pretty lovely:

They call out 2133MHz memory in the CPU FAQ but don't even use that speed.

They've been successfully challenge for false advertising for less before.
(saying that the cellular iPad 4 supported 4G)

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Whoa whoa, no more backlit logos? No extension cable? Jesus apple

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I never liked the backlit logo. iPhones and iPads look just fine without them.

eames
May 9, 2009

macrumors posted:

According to the document, while all of the ports on the 15-inch MacBook Pro and the 13-inch MacBook Pro without a Touch Bar offer full Thunderbolt 3 performance, only two of the four ports on the 13-inch MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar support Thunderbolt 3 at full performance.

The two ports on the right side of the machine have Thunderbolt 3 functionality but with reduced PCI Express bandwidth. For that reason, Apple recommends plugging higher-performance devices into the left-hand ports on that machine.

Why does the 13" have reduced bandwidth on two TB3 ports when it has the same chipset as the 15" but fewer PCIe lanes in use because there's no dGPU?
I still don't understand how they manage four TB3 ports (4x4 = 16 lanes) + dGPU (16 lanes) + PCIe SSD ( at least 4 lanes) with Skylake in the 15".
None of this makes sense to me. Oh well.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

eames posted:

Why does the 13" have reduced bandwidth on two TB3 ports when it has the same chipset as the 15" but fewer PCIe lanes in use because there's no dGPU?
I still don't understand how they manage four TB3 ports (4x4 = 16 lanes) + dGPU (16 lanes) + PCIe SSD ( at least 4 lanes) with Skylake in the 15".
None of this makes sense to me. Oh well.

I'm going to guess that it has two controllers, one for the left and one for the right, and bandwidth is split between the pairs. The dGPU is almost certainly 8 lanes. That still leaves 4 for the SSD, which might come off the PCH. Either that, or lanes are dynamically reassigned when you plug stuff into the ports. If that's possible.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

rear end Catchcum posted:

Why does anyone think the mini or pro is alive?

Yeah there's a lot of delusion going on.

"This will be the year :corsair:"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think they'll update the Mini along with the iMac refresh. I can see the Mac Pro dying but they need to have at least two desktop lines available for differentiation. Having the Mini around will make the iMac more attractive. It's the reason why they released the 13" Macbook Pro without the touch strip and sold iPhones with just 16gigs forever.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They have to always support some desktops for developers right? App Store sales are a significant revenue factor, and app quality is a significant factor in making their products available.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/27/13419182/apple-new-macbook-pro-video-photos-hands-on

quote:

Touch ID worked — though of course I couldn't try it myself. I'm told the MacBook Pro now automatically powers on when you open it and that holding down the Touch ID button will turn the computer off (the Apple rep here didn't want to show me that, though).

Does touchid require OS/software response to operate? because this seems like a bad idea if macOS locks up.

Also the new MacBooks are already at Apple Stores right? I want to check one out to see if the keyboard has gotten any better. I looked at the MKBHD video and it seems like it is still has poor travel for the keys.

I wish someone at Apple had enough COURAGE to change direction with the thinness of the laptops. Every PC manufacturer for the past 5 years have played an increasing sub-optimal game of, "how thin can we get our laptops?" and Apple has arguably _lost_ that checkmark in their list of advantages over PC laptops. They could have said. "Hey this MacBook is pretty much the same size, but now we have a battery life that lasts... the entire day."

I mean is the 2lb difference in reduction really worth it? I feel like, "FULL DAY" battery life is a way better differentiator than, "hey this thing is 2 lbs lighter and now we finally matched the same thinness as the current market laptops"

And having it the same weight, but not having to carry a power adapter say, for an all-day travel meeting seems like a huge win.

I'm still not really liking the idea of a touchbar. Besides the ESC key. I actually used the function keys. I use F3 a lot to cycle through applications. I don't know if that's still there in the normal touchbar display but I definitely don't see it when another application takes over the touchbar. I also don't want to have to fumble around when I have to mute the laptop to take a call.

And also slightly off-topic, and I'm guessing no one cares for this poo poo but I'll talk about it anyways: The left/right arrow keys are now like the ones on the 12" MacBook, which makes them the same size as the letters on the keyboard. Presumably this is done to save some money since they no longer have to make custom version keycaps for the left/right arrows. Those fatter left/right keys look aesthetically ugly. I mean does Jony Ive have any influence at all?

Ive: Look guys, we are not putting those stupid looking arrows, they are ugly.
VP Bean Counters: Well if we have them this size we no longer have to make molds for those custom keycaps. Also now that they're the same size as regular keys. They only cost 2 cents to make versus the 5 cents it cost for the old caps.
Ive: This is bullshit, I will not sign off on this.
VP Bean Counter: Someone made a soundboard of you
Ive: *runs off to ask apple lawyers to complain*

I mean maybe I'm nitpicking but Apple's known to getting little details right and now it seems like that's not true at all. Everything is just small incremental improvements while trying to find ways to cut costs. If all these compromises they made were for the standard "MacBook" line these problems would be somewhat minor. But this is suppose to be their Pro line and the best they can offer are slight speed boosts, and a bigger trackpad which I don't recall hearing a lot of people complain about.

And don't complain and say adding more memory would drain battery life when you put in a LCD strip to power something that never needed power.

eames
May 9, 2009

Cingulate posted:

They have to always support some desktops for developers right? App Store sales are a significant revenue factor, and app quality is a significant factor in making their products available.

Cook is no computer/coder person and is probably getting Xcode ported to the iPad Pro. I expect to see it next year.

If multicore Geekbench is any indication for code compilation, 3 or 4 of their future A10X CPUs would handily beat a maxed 12 core trashcan. Such a device (be it in batteryless iPad Pro or Airport Express form factor) would cost them $300 to make and could be sold to developer studios for what? $6000? :haw:

Or they could make it cheap and use the computing power for AI purposes. The iPhones already run machine-learning apps (iPhoto facial recognition) at night when they are plugged in.

I hope I'm wrong and that Cook doesn't read this. :ohdear:

Strong Sauce posted:

Does touchid require OS/software response to operate? because this seems like a bad idea if macOS locks up.

From what I've gathered the touch ID sensor is on a physical on/off power button, like the 6S home button.

Strong Sauce posted:

I wish someone at Apple had enough COURAGE to change direction with the thinness of the laptops. Every PC manufacturer for the past 5 years have played an increasing sub-optimal game of, "how thin can we get our laptops?" and Apple has arguably _lost_ that checkmark in their list of advantages over PC laptops. They could have said. "Hey this MacBook is pretty much the same size, but now we have a battery life that lasts... the entire day."

That's what happens when you let the numbers guy and design guy run rampant with the product line. Cook thinks the iPad is all the computing power people need, Ive just wants things to look desirable and futuristic (= thinner, lighter).

Maybe I'm being overly negative but I get the impression "Jony Cook" is sending the whole Mac platform down a dead end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I really wanted a Mac Mini to use my iPad with Astropad :(