Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

leftist heap posted:

angular 1 was so incredibly bad in a totally pernicious way. it inherently lends itself to unmaintainable trash. gently caress me i'm so glad i don't do any webdev anymore.

Why exactly? as someone who just learned some of it, it seems a lot better than the last js framework Ive used (backbone). Before that Ive only used jquery

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Why exactly? Has someone who just learned some of it, it seems a lot better than the last js framework Ive used (backbone). Before that Ive only used jquery

I was not impressed with backbone, to say the least. Angular being better than backbone may be true, because of how runny the diarrhea dog turd of backbone is.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Amiga system devices are software engines that provide access to the Amiga hardware. Through these devices, a programmer can operate a modem, spin a disk drive motor, time an event, speak to a user and blast a trumpet sound in beautiful, living stereo. Yet, for all that variety, the programmer uses each device in the same basic manner.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
code:
doot(doot);

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Smoking weed all weekend to forget my job, lol.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

AOT limitations in JDK 9

* AOT initial release in JDK 9 is only supported on 64-bit Linux systems running 64-bit Java.
* The system should have installed libelf to allow generation of AOT shared libraries (.so) as result of AOT compilation.
* AOT compilation should be executed on the same system or a system with the same configuration on which AOT code will be used by Java application.
* For the initial release in JDK 9 the only supported module for AOT compilation will be java.base.
* Only G1 and Parallel GC are supported now.
* May not compile java code which uses dynamically generated classes and bytecode (lambda expressions, invoke dynamic).
* The same Java run-time configuration should be used during AOT compilation and execution. For example, the jaotc tool should be run with Parallel GC (using the -J flag) if an application will also use Parallel GC with AOT code.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://blog.robertelder.org/switch-statements-statement-expressions/

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

hell yeah you got some weed :420:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

same but just for fun

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Why exactly? as someone who just learned some of it, it seems a lot better than the last js framework Ive used (backbone). Before that Ive only used jquery

i haven't used backbone a lot, but from what i know it's not really comparable. and also anything looks good compared to jquery diarrhea.

angular 1 basically failed at everything it tried. p much every piece was half baked, overly complicated, dumb, slow, etc. routing, directives, templates, services, DI, etc. every piece had huge flaws and shortcomings. i'm sure it's better now but man, at least as of 1.2/1.3 it was super rough. routing was stupidly half baked, directives were obtuse and a big plate of edge cases. built in directives weren't consistent and frequently lacking in pretty basic poo poo. it was just not a useful model for building and maintain a remotely big app.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
angular is the most insane framework i've ever tried using

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

angular is the most insane framework i've ever tried using

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I defend a lot of web things but I'll never defend angular 1.x. I've used it for a couple years on multiple projects and it really never gets better and never makes sense. at the very best, with extreme discipline and good practices across your team, an angular 1.x app might approach the readability as any old react app you could fart out with no effort. but no one really codes angular well, so it's all trash

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

print line debugging is an art, and the hallmark of an excellent programmer who needs no fancy tools to aid them

I must be goddamn Picasso given how many times I've filled the server because of my incessant debugging via log messages.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
my absolute favorite printf debugging differential is when multiple threads are printing the same mmeessaaggee aanndd eevvrryytthhiinngg iiss rreeppeeaatteedd

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

my absolute favorite printf debugging differential is when multiple threads are printing the same mmeessaaggee aanndd eevvrryytthhiinngg iiss rreeppeeaatteedd

same but multiple threads across multiple hosts catd together into a single file

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
the thing is for the stuff i write, often where I put a printf in, i'll need it again as a log from when it shat itself in production

i did use a debugger a heck of a lot when it was glued to the editor enviroment though, but then again i was digging through millions of lines of code in third party pieces

if you need to wade through foreign code then debuggers are great, but if it's code you're writing, a printf will probably do 90% unless you're in some sort of hellish problem you've made for yourself, in which case do whatever

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I was printf debugging an linux init bug related to mounting the root filesystem a few days ago. There were a few debug messages that would never appear in the log, even though there was no conditional logic that would prevent the messages from getting printed. Even lines immediately before and after this one call would get printed.

I'm embarrassed because it was obvious, but it took me about an hour to realize that the function I was debugging had the effect of moving the mount point of the root file system but the /dev/ filesystem hadn't been moved to the new / yet. No /dev/ means no system logging :doh:

I fprintf'd the missing messages into a char array and printed them later, once /dev/ was back.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

If when faced with a problem you think: I know! I'll use threads! two now problems Congrats have yo,u.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

my favorite printf thing is apparently my Atari cross-compiler trying to print uint32_ts in little-endian order on a big-endian machine

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

eschaton posted:

does it involve twiddling UART registers directly?

because if so there's probably also a driver you could use in just a couple lines, but Amiga devs are constitutionally incapable of using OS APIs for anything at all, and pass that on to those they teach to develop on the Amiga

(in case you ever wondered why there were so few models of Amiga ever designed or why there wasn't more software available that worked across the product line)

yes everyone says to toss the OS in the garbage and write everything in finely tuned ASM directly for the custom hardware

i watched the first few parts of that video tutorial and can make a line bounce up and down using the copper lol

Amiga forums also seem to be superior assholes who blow up at people for asking about IDEs (pay $80 for GoldEd in 2016!!!) or why people would buy a $5000 computer running AmigaOS 4 where the Atari forums are chill and pirate everything since nobody's given a poo poo since 1993

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

no, setting up the driver and stuff as opposed to throwing bytes at a ROM routine

http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD_2.1/Devices_Manual_guide/node0192.html

ugh that and the next page are painful, DoIO and CMD_WRITE wtf is this poo poo

at least I/O on the Mac and Lisa was directly analogous to UNIX open/close/read/write/ioctl, just using a parameter block instead of an argument list (easy enough to wrap) and allowing for async I/O with a completion function pointer

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

http://programming.witheve.com/

lmao

every goddamn time someone reinvents programming starting with the premise "programming is so GOSH DARN COMPLICATED! why dont we make it NOT SO GOSH DARN COMPLICATED!" you know its gonna be great

this looks a lot like Smalltalk designed by people who have once seen but never actually learned or used Smalltalk, or Lisp, or Self

ancient Lisp people initially tried to do OOP via "everything is a property list" aka "frames" and there are good reasons they soon came up with different and more detailed underlying abstractions like Flavors and CLOS

ancient Smalltalk did exactly the same loving thing in the 1970s before they settled on class-based dispatch with Smalltalk-76, both for performance and for managing abstraction

Self brought back the "prototypes-everywhere" idea but added a ton of underlying optimization to ensure it was practical

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Literate programming is invariably bullshit, but I can totally get on board with the idea of an IDE that allows comments to be something more than just differently-coloured text. I don't see why it can't be done with a real language instead of their special snowflake poo poo, though.

QKS SmalltalkAgents on the Mac did this in the early 1990s, it was awesome

you could use "standard Smalltalk comments" in straight double quotes, or you could use “curly quotes” and use whatever font, size, style, color you wanted as well as images right inline in your code

they also supported both 'regular Smalltalk strings' in straight single quotes and ‘styled strings‘ in curly single quotes with exactly the same set of features, including inline images

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Luigi Thirty posted:

blast a trumpet sound in beautiful, living stereo

you are now required to implement skull trumpet on the amiga

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm surprised that Visual Studio hasn't enabled richtext comments wrapped in /**/ with lovely Word html or something. Seems like something MS would do.

I'm especially surprised Visual Studio doesn't do this given that Bill Parkhurst was responsible for it

NEXTSTEP supported flat out putting source code in RTF files, the standard makefiles for InterfaceBuilder and then ProjectBuilder just had rules to run anything in the Sources collection matching *.*.rtf through a plaintext conversion before passing them on to whatever other rules applie

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007

what stands in the way becomes the way

Arcsech posted:

Also I haven't read it in depth but it looks like it has a database engine built in, which immediately makes me think of mumps

it's apparently based on datalog?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i am fed up with our offshore devs poo poo and am going to carry out my threat of creating some basic c# coding standars doc however due to being a)lazy and b) terrible myself i reckon I'd be better off pinching one from somewhere to start with. is there a decent list of antipatterns i can use to create a 'don't do this' list?

either that or i try to get budget for a pile of resharper licenses

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

a coding standards guide doesn't really work imo

resharper licenses pay for themselves really quickly i'd imagine and a company would have to be ridiculous not to shell out for it for a C# codebase

make warnings error in your CI build and maybe put some other code analysis that errors

the next thing you can do is point to some book like clean code which is fine for an imperative C# OOP style of coding. it is my belief that an imperative OOP style of coding results in unmaintainable applications and a "big ball of mud", but at least it's better than nothing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also your organization has already made a really cynical bet trying to replace you with an incompetent offshore development team at some indeterminate time in the future and wants you to replace yourself.

it's best to take it as it is and not get worked up about it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

also your organization has already made a really cynical bet trying to replace you with an incompetent offshore development team at some indeterminate time in the future and wants you to replace yourself.

it's best to take it as it is and not get worked up about it.

dehumanise and face to offshoring i guess

actually pretty much everyone knows that offshore is costing us money and is at best about 60% as efficient as onshore, but the entire company is completely paralysed by its obsession with budgets so therefore we carry on

i mean, i am not even on paper supposed to be a developer in the first place, im supposed to be an analyst/project manager but i hate project management and i am a better programmer than half our devs so now i do all three. there is genuinely a problem at the moment because 3 projects think i am supposed to be a key part of their plans but this would mean that i was 150% allocated which the budget system can't handle.

my manager is like "to be honest i don't really care what you work on as long as you're getting something done. p.s. you have been logged as an official key person risk to the organisation"

anyway, i'll investigate some resharper licenses. also getting CI builds set up again after the one guy that could do NANT left and they all broke.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 29, 2016

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also i would contend that offshore analysts are even loving worse than offshore developers.

there's some joke here like "how many offshore analysts does it take to change a lightbulb"; one to talk to the lightbulb users, a second to write the requirements, a third to talk to a different team that they heard used lightbulbs as well, a fourth to replace the second when they quit because they can get 2% more money elsewhere, a fifth to replace the 4th guy who never actually turned up on his first day, a 6th to write the test cases based on the specification that the third guy wrote which now refers to a different building entirely, a 7th to chase everyone else to "fill in a traceability matrix", an eighth who joins late in the day to "manage the test process" but does nothing except set up meetings to ask people to explain the concept of light to him in the first place and a ninth to publish status reports.

the 10th guy brought in at the last minute turns out to be ok and has changed lightbulbs before, but he leaves the project immediately because he hates working with other offshore analysts

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

leftist heap posted:

i haven't used backbone a lot, but from what i know it's not really comparable. and also anything looks good compared to jquery diarrhea.

angular 1 basically failed at everything it tried. p much every piece was half baked, overly complicated, dumb, slow, etc. routing, directives, templates, services, DI, etc. every piece had huge flaws and shortcomings. i'm sure it's better now but man, at least as of 1.2/1.3 it was super rough. routing was stupidly half baked, directives were obtuse and a big plate of edge cases. built in directives weren't consistent and frequently lacking in pretty basic poo poo. it was just not a useful model for building and maintain a remotely big app.

yeah, idk, I have very little experience with it. Ive liked the data binding stuff, very pratical. And components and directive seems very useful, and the builtin directives I used so far were simple and worked. Routing does seems kinda bad, although I have to admit I probably dont fully undesrtand it

That vue thing someone mentioned a few pags ago seems to be a better version of Angular, at a glance

edit: Im reading the react tutorial. I really dont like this:
code:
class ShoppingList extends React.Component {
  render() {
    return (
      <div className="shopping-list">
        <h1>Shopping List for {this.props.name}</h1>
        <ul>
          <li>Instagram</li>
          <li>WhatsApp</li>
          <li>Oculus</li>
        </ul>
      </div>
    );
  }
}
So that's the new cool thing? Mix HTML with code with this weird syntax? That seems like something that would be hell to maintain. What's wrong with templates?

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 29, 2016

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wheany posted:

you are now required to implement skull trumpet on the amiga

challenge accepted

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Su-Su-Sudoko posted:

it's apparently based on datalog?

so it's some sort of language... for querying data? and the data has a structure?

gosh, I wish someone had thought about making a language for querying structured data that was designed for "non-technical" people before.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

uncurable mlady posted:

so it's some sort of language... for querying data? and the data has a structure?

gosh, I wish someone had thought about making a language for querying structured data that was designed for "non-technical" people before.

almost like a structured query language.. what would we call such a thing?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

leper khan posted:

almost like a structured query language.. what would we call such a thing?

crystal reports

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

yeah, idk, I have very little experience with it. Ive liked the data binding stuff, very pratical. And components and directive seems very useful, and the builtin directives I used so far were simple and worked. Routing does seems kinda bad, although I have to admit I probably dont fully undesrtand it

That vue thing someone mentioned a few pags ago seems to be a better version of Angular, at a glance

edit: Im reading the react tutorial. I really dont like this:
code:
class ShoppingList extends React.Component {
  render() {
    return (
      <div className="shopping-list">
        <h1>Shopping List for {this.props.name}</h1>
        <ul>
          <li>Instagram</li>
          <li>WhatsApp</li>
          <li>Oculus</li>
        </ul>
      </div>
    );
  }
}
So that's the new cool thing? Mix HTML with code with this weird syntax? That seems like something that would be hell to maintain. What's wrong with templates?

i know this is going to sound pedantic as hell but, it's not html and react components are your templates. this guy's blog post explains it better than i probably can.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm the grammatical and parsing ambiguities between inline dom literals and comparison operators which will certainly never bite anybody in the rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

gonadic io posted:

In rust you can put code/test cases in your documentation. It gets compiled (and executed if it's a test)

python has this too sort of, but the only things you can test are "does executing this command result in exactly this output" which is a little less useful than some people may think

• Locked thread