Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I hate being *that guy* but

quote:

Violence is defined by the World Health Organization as "the intentional use of physical force or power, threatened or actual, against oneself, another person, or against a group or community, which either results in or has a high likelihood of resulting in injury, death, psychological harm, maldevelopment, or deprivation"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Because if you just define violence as "physical harm" it leaves out a ton of other really harmful psychological and economic poo poo and lets people get away with things like domestic abuse.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ate all the Oreos posted:

I hate being *that guy* but

hey they were judged by the legal system im feeling pretty good about if there was a crime involving threat of violence that they would be behind bars charged with a pile of poo poo atm

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the prosecution didn't even try to charge them with stuff related to that, thus people who know ALOT more than I do about the case decided not to proceque it

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

bbl boys im going to go nonviolently poo poo in baloogan's bed

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
tho i will say i did think that violence only refered to acts but now im thinking about violence being acts and implied acts

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Miscarriages of justice exist, friend.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

just cause you don't like the outcome doesn't make it a miscarrage tho

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Baloogan posted:

oj did nothing wrong

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

im going to nonviolently smoke a lot of goddamn reefer in his bathroom and dook all over his couch and make his landlord pissed off and im going to point an assault rifle in his face and all he can do is just groove in it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hey due to the expanded definition of violence all these posts are being violent and are on the same level as someone literally shooting me@!!!

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

i'll show up at his house with a big loving gun and force him to listen to pearl jam for a month straight nonviolently

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baloogan posted:

There are plenty of court cases that end in outcomes I don’t like but where I still think the jury made the right call—many drug cases, for example.

This jury made a mistake. The prosecution also made mistakes.

The defense did a good job. I have no complaints there.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

There are plenty of court cases that end in outcomes I don’t like but where I still think the jury made the right call—many drug cases, for example.

This jury made a mistake. The prosecution also made mistakes.

The defense did a good job. I have no complaints there.

I don't think hundreds of objections counts as a "good job" even if the outcome was in their favor.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I don't think hundreds of objections counts as a "good job" even if the outcome was in their favor.

sovcit defense tactics are basically to confuse the gently caress outta jurors/judges and they indisputably did a good job of that

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
the lawer got tazed at the end imo the sysetm was upset about justice prevailing and just wanted to violence (this time, physically, actually violence not the fake kind) the lawer up good

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

If you don’t get disbarred (or officially censured) or held in contempt, it’s a valid tactic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Baloogan posted:

the lawer got tazed at the end imo the sysetm was upset about justice prevailing and just wanted to violence (this time, physically, actually violence not the fake kind) the lawer up good

you make that sound like a bad thing

Baloogan posted:

he was paranoid about the federal guys killing him. and federal guys killed him. paranoia is an irrational fear of something, turns out tarpguy wasn't irrationally afraid.

maybe if he was more afraid his rear end would be alive and knee deep in mormon wives right now instead of 6 feet deep

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Someone make the drat Loss joke already

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mavric posted:

This really is the larger point, isn't it? Like this isn't' even the first! there was that navada couple who were at the first Bundy get to gether who killed some cops. So the Bundys themselves aren't killing anyone, but they are constantly holding events where they enforce the rhetoric and the most extreme followers comply.

yeah if ur like 'they didn't kill anyone' well uh only technically true, dudes associated with the sovcits have been doing murders for a while now

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and if you wanna be like 'dudes associated with black lives matter have done murders!!" i will agree w/that but at least be consistent

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Baloogan, I like you but pointing a loaded gun at someone isn't nonviolent, it's in fact called brandishing and is a crime.

In Oregon it falls under the menacing charge and is a misdemeanor.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rudatron posted:

https://twitter.com/pattersonphoto/status/792132362331000832

this is the problem with lovely inbred redneck towns, they all cover for each other's criminal activity, no justice

demolish all of them imo

I'm looking forward to when one or more jurors show up at the next big militia event. Or at least juror #4 who seems to have a bright future in conservatism and right wing worldviews.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Open carry protests are stupid no matter what color your skin is. With the caveat that if you want to open carry in Ammon's drive way until his wife freaks out and calls the police to complain about intimidation, then that's cool with me.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm on some email lists of the Audubon society in Oregon. The bird folks are livid.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm on some email lists of the Audubon society in Oregon. The bird folks are livid.

haha cool. the bird folk are alright by me

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

as far as i know the fun fun fun w/ the audubon society has never been associated w/ ideological murder, unlike the bundy militia dudes

Mia Wasikowska has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Oct 29, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Birding seems like the most boring hobby in the world but apparently I'm compatible with those people because we hate all the same bitches.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anyway. Is it over?

The charges were weird because those are the charges federal prosecutors had access to. So no one was actually charged with vandalism, not even for acts of vandalism that were clearly caught on tape. Are those acts covered by double jeopardy, or is it still possible to charge people for the various crimes and misdemeanors that may have been committed?

What about fines or civil remedies? Even if they were 'just camping' and not preventing anyone from going to work, when you trash a campground you get a bill for damages. A peaceful occupation doesn't excuse trashing the place.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Anyway. Is it over?

The charges were weird because those are the charges federal prosecutors had access to. So no one was actually charged with vandalism, not even for acts of vandalism that were clearly caught on tape. Are those acts covered by double jeopardy, or is it still possible to charge people for the various crimes and misdemeanors that may have been committed?

What about fines or civil remedies? Even if they were 'just camping' and not preventing anyone from going to work, when you trash a campground you get a bill for damages. A peaceful occupation doesn't excuse trashing the place.

in Oregon, yes. they may get some civil suits and bleed them monetarily but other then that its over. the bundys and some of their lovely friends are still faceing charges(apperently even more serious ones) in Nevada for the bullshit bundy ranch.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Oct 29, 2016

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Baloogan posted:

i unironically don't know what MNWR or "Harney" is

Is it nonviolent for me to point a loaded gun in your face?

its BAD and its a threat and it implies violence based on context

Just wanted to quote this to record that Baloogan managed to flood the thread with what boils down to "I really know nothing about what is being discussed but I have strong opinions regarding it."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

rudatron posted:

https://twitter.com/pattersonphoto/status/792132362331000832

this is the problem with lovely inbred redneck towns, they all cover for each other's criminal activity, no justice

demolish all of them imo

Why was this place chosen for the trial to begin with?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Geostomp posted:

Why was this place chosen for the trial to begin with?

It's where the relevant court is.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Anyway. Is it over?

I believe Oregon can bring state charges, and there are still the federal charges in Nevada from the 2014 standoff.

There was concern after the recent not-guilty verdict that maybe the federal govt's case wasn't that strong and bringing further charges would be useless. Since the jury started speaking to the media they've made it clear they voted not guilty based on some misguided idea they were making a "statement" about the federal govt's failure to substantiate the conspiracy charge. They revealed they didn't understand the evidence for the conspiracy charge, and that they voted not guilty on the other non-conspiracy charges as some sort of protest ie nullification. This might actually be encouraging for the prosecutor's, they just need to figure out how to select a jury and spoon-feed the evidence such that even the average juror understands when the defendants are incredibly guilty.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Discendo Vox posted:

It's where the relevant court is.

Shawna Cox disagreed with this statement, but I bet she's ok with it now.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
There are still others from the group, including Sean Anderson, awaiting trial in Oregon IIRC

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I imagine they will be less willing to plea bargain now that their gold fringe status has been validated

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

They should have been put to trial by ordeal, specifically having to demonstrate they deserve to be called a "militia":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Physical_Fitness_Test

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

This is probably a good sign that you don't know much about criminal defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Jesus never point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

Pointing a loaded gun at someone is an implicit statement that you are willing to kill them and you have the means to do so.

This is not complicated.