Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Endorph posted:

brettonia and beastmen are really underpowered without regiments.

Perfect time for that Wood Elves DLC to come out then. That'd be a good time to spruce up the tree huggers' neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Endorph posted:

thoughts/opinions?

Until healing potions get properly removed Beastmen can still rely on Gorebulls as a crutch, whereas Bretonnia presently has an overpowered ability on Louen that makes them really strong. Ought to change next patch, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What determines who you can trade with and who you can't? As Belegar are you basically limited to only trading with a max of three civs?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

You can trade with any non-Chaos/Beastmen/Greenskins faction you've discovered, and with whom you have a trade route (e.g. adjacent territories connected by roads, or concurrent port access).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Does it have to be a route to your capital though? For example I've noticed that taking Karak Norn never opens up any additional trade routes. Even when I capture ports in the badlands additional trade doesn't open up.

Do ally territories count? Do I need to vassalize Estonia or something?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does it have to be a route to your capital though? For example I've noticed that taking Karak Norn never opens up any additional trade routes. Even when I capture ports in the badlands additional trade doesn't open up.

Do ally territories count? Do I need to vassalize Estonia or something?

I don't know if anybody's figured out the exact mechanics of it yet but it does seem that they need a clear route to your capital. I can't recall what counts for making a route, in terms of vassal/ally/etc. but it can be hard to get a lot of trade going as dwarf factions.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Total War Instagram put this up earlier. Could be early Wood Elves, could be Halloween spooks;

also this

so yeah looks like early wood elves, guess the schedule adjustment wasn't a full month's pushback

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

20 people for early access seems cool enough.

This game has me hyped for races I dont give a flying gently caress about in tabletop. Whats become of me????

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

brocretin posted:

Total War Instagram put this up earlier. Could be early Wood Elves, could be Halloween spooks;

also this

so yeah looks like early wood elves, guess the schedule adjustment wasn't a full month's pushback

I'll lol if it's Chaos DwarfsSquats.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

terrorist ambulance posted:

the skarsnik thing is not a bug. he gets different garrison troops

I know he gets different garrisons, the problem is that what he actually gets doesn't match what the building and garrison tab say he should.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Wonder if it's some half assed invite to be a beta tester or something. I am curios as to how the Wood Elves will work in the grand campaign. Either they redesign Athel Loren as its own discrete region like in Empire Total War, or they make it so the campaign goals are different than the rest. Keep Bretonnia intact to preserve the buffer? I kinda like the latter idea.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Aurubin posted:

Wonder if it's some half assed invite to be a beta tester or something. I am curios as to how the Wood Elves will work in the grand campaign. Either they redesign Athel Loren as its own discrete region like in Empire Total War, or they make it so the campaign goals are different than the rest. Keep Bretonnia intact to preserve the buffer? I kinda like the latter idea.

The actual sign up page for the drawing says it is NOT for an in game item so that sounds like its not a drawing for early access to the DLC, unless I am reading this wrong.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mukip Vs ZearothK matches are done!

1 - Bretonnia Vs Bretonnia Grail Knights hold the line, letting the rest of the nobility crush the peasants under their superior table-manners
2 - Greenskins Vs Chaos Warriors Giants do the tango, but one slips and falls, the rest of the team thinks it is part of the dance.
3 - Chaos Warriors Vs Vampire Counts Archaon wins his very first battle (at least since I've had this game installed), seeding doubt into the Everfailure thesis
4 - Vampire Counts Vs Empire I show you here how The Anti-VP comp can be beaten!

Results are... 4-0 in Mukip's favour!

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

The actual sign up page for the drawing says it is NOT for an in game item so that sounds like its not a drawing for early access to the DLC, unless I am reading this wrong.

One of the community people on reddit confirmed that it's not an early access thing. Probably free merch or something.

I wonder if this update is going to include seasons. Wood Elves are the perfect time to include them.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

ZearothK posted:

Mukip Vs ZearothK matches are done!

1 - Bretonnia Vs Bretonnia Grail Knights hold the line, letting the rest of the nobility crush the peasants under their superior table-manners
2 - Greenskins Vs Chaos Warriors Giants do the tango, but one slips and falls, the rest of the team thinks it is part of the dance.
3 - Chaos Warriors Vs Vampire Counts Archaon wins his very first battle (at least since I've had this game installed), seeding doubt into the Everfailure thesis
4 - Vampire Counts Vs Empire I show you here how The Anti-VP comp can be beaten!

Results are... 4-0 in Mukip's favour!

Just wanted to say I love watching the replays you guys post here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

brocretin posted:

One of the community people on reddit confirmed that it's not an early access thing. Probably free merch or something.

I wonder if this update is going to include seasons. Wood Elves are the perfect time to include them.

might be free irl models

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Davincie posted:

heads up, i went and got a grombrindal dlc code at my local games workshop despite not owning the game yet and it also includes a voucher for 20% off the game. so if anyone who doesn't own the game is lurking this thread and is waiting on a sale, this works too

Heyo, do you still have the code? I've been posting in this thread as though I know what I'm talking about, so I should probably finally buy the drat game.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Endorph posted:

might be free irl models

Free Wood Elf model with each purchase of two or more Age of Sigmar Start Collecting boxes!*

*while supplies last

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Mordja posted:

Heyo, do you still have the code? I've been posting in this thread as though I know what I'm talking about, so I should probably finally buy the drat game.

If he doesn't I do. I'd just post it in this post but I get super annoyed when people claim them without letting you know so you get your hopes up and then find out the code's already been used.

So yeah if someone wants the 20% off code let me know. 600 hours into the game now, I honestly think it's going to rival the Warhammer mod for Mount and Blade in terms of eating away entire years of my life.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

After my absolute drubbing against Mukip and getting my Civilization needs out of my system, I went back to the tourney and fought ZearothK! So how did we do?

Olive Branch vs. ZearothK - Battle Results for the Underdog Tournament

Zearoth K. was a sport and willing to play right away, and shared my interests in being sneaky sneaky!

Game 1: Dwarves (Olive Branch) vs. Chaos (ZearothK) Chaos absolutely steamrolls the stunties and mindgames the hell out of the gyrocopters.
Game 2: Beastmen (Olive Branch) vs. Dwarves (ZearothK) It's the Battle of Koom Valley again as both sides try to out-sneak each other.
Game 3: Bretonnia (Olive Branch) vs. Greenskins (ZearothK) Peasants and nobles finally work in tandem against a veritable green tide of boyz and gobbos. Squigs get the munchies and nosh on bowmen.
Game 4: Chaos (Olive Branch) vs. Empire (ZearothK) The Empire goes for a "pike and shot" approach and tears down possessed warriors with faith, steel, and gunpowder.
Total Result: Olive Branch 2 - 2 ZearothK

Click on the links for the appropriate replay file.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
How do we decide which category the new units go in for the tournament?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Feel it in your heart.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

brocretin posted:

also this

If it really is Wood Elves+Bretts they'll have a ton of poo poo to show off, so it makes sense to get the hype train rolling early.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

fnordcircle posted:

If he doesn't I do. I'd just post it in this post but I get super annoyed when people claim them without letting you know so you get your hopes up and then find out the code's already been used.

So yeah if someone wants the 20% off code let me know. 600 hours into the game now, I honestly think it's going to rival the Warhammer mod for Mount and Blade in terms of eating away entire years of my life.

I'd say just post it, replace some letters with symbols like they do in the steam thread, and let god sort 'em out. The biggest problem is usually bots and if someone else gets the code before me, well hey, good for them.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anybody want GROMBINDAL THE WHITE DWARF EXCLUSIVE FREE LORD?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

hi yes I would like this dumb promotional item

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yes. How many you got.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Asmodai_00 posted:

hi yes I would like this dumb promotional item

ZL3TZ-5FZ0X-QGJ3E

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rookersh posted:

Yes. How many you got.

One. you gotta fight Asmodai for it

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Sniped :negative:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

One. you gotta fight Asmodai for it

Already taken! Grats Asmodai.

e: Grats stealthgoon?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, at least someone's happy

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
man, you all are fast.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wrong thread.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Endorph posted:

anyway imo current multiplayer balance power rankings is

1) Greenskins
2) Empire
3) Vampire Counts
4) Chaos
5) Dwarves
6) Brettonia
7) Beastmen

thoughts/opinions?

dwarves got some cool stuff but it didn't really help any of their big problems. Greenskins meanwhile got broken poo poo like sundering armor and the krimzon killas. chaos got a lot better just from aspiring champs and manticores. brettonia and beastmen are really underpowered without regiments.

I still put Bret over Dwarfs, and I'm not sure of Greenskins are actually tops over Empire, but otherwise I think you've captured the spirit of things. Chaos got a huge buff even without any RoR or heroic healing pots--aspiring champs are that good.

Speaking of which, I'm way behind on the goon tourney--anyone freed tonight?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, it isn't fun when archaeon magically appears in the world's edge mountains having seemingly avoided burning down dwarf holds to show up on your doorstep with an army made entirely of hellcannons and chaos giants. Over compensating rear end in a top hat

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Any idea when Grombrindal is gonna show up besides "2017"? I don't have a GW store anywhere nearby.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have one

I'm also using it

Sorry lads

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Gonkish posted:

Any idea when Grombrindal is gonna show up besides "2017"? I don't have a GW store anywhere nearby.

According to Reddit, the code expires on January 3rd 2017.

So probably around then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I don't have a store nearby either, I just mail ordered the dumb magazine and I'm expecting it to arrive sometime in the next...1-4 weeks, bleh. Oh well.

Since Wood Elves are basically confirmed as coming next I figured I'd do another LL/Hero post, with maybe a bonus look at Brettonia afterwards.

Wood Elf Lords

Durthu, Eldest of Ancients

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Durthu

He's a bigass Treeman LL who's story is that he's slowly losing himself to rage at the loss of his comrades over the eons.

Mechanically he's a huge buff tree monster with frenzy/hatred, causes Terror, and casts spells from the Lore of Beasts. He also has a special short range shooting attack that's basically a shotgun effect. He doesn't like being set on fire much for obvious reasons.

He's too awesome looking and unique to not be included, IMO, though the fact that he actually has no unique magic items is going to force CA to be a bit creative with him.

Orion

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Orion

Orion is pretty much a lock for Wood Elf Faction Leader. He's more a demigod than an Elf, there's surprisingly few Wood Elf characters that are actually Elves.

He's pretty nuts, fast, powerful at both melee and ranged combat, tough, unbreakable, causes terror and is usually accompanied by his two special warhounds.

He also has a bunch of magic items, including a very powerful bow, a magic spear that can be thrown for an artillery-like effect, a magic cloak that grants a minor ward save, magic resistance, and regen, and a warhorn that grants all allies devastating charge in a radius.

Araloth, the boring guy who will make it in because

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Araloth

The obligatory character who's just a generic lord with some special rules and an epic backstory that's actually not that interesting.

Araloth is pretty much just an elf dude, but the favor of the goddess grants him unbreakable and a ward save, and the one fun thing is that his Hawk companion can be directed to try and tear out someones eyes every turn in the tabletop. In TW it would probably just be a starting special ability that lets him do minor damage+blind to a target.

Drycha, Briarmaven of Woe

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Drycha

(Side note, has a...no comment redesign for Age of Sigmar) http://spikeybits.com/2016/06/drycha-hamadeth-new-sylvaneth-model-pics-spotted.html

Drycha is a LL version of a dryad, but she's interesting mostly because she's the best WE candidate for being a splinter faction, her backstory is pretty much just setting up her inevitable betrayal of the Elf faction of the Wood Elves. For that reason I think she's more likely to be added as DLC or FLC than with the main race DLC but we'll see.

She's not especially strong in melee for a Lord character, but she uses the Lore of Shadow and has a special rule that more or less translates to summoning other forest spirits into battle. She also has a rule that raises her attack strength for every wound she takes (negated by healing) so some kind of berserker effect that makes her more dangerous the lower her HP is would be appropriate.

Naestra and Arahan

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Naestra_and_Arahan

The twins are cool, and also actually elves, and female, which this game still doesn't have yet so I hope they make it in.

Basically their story is that they are the mortal representatives of the reclusive Mage Queen Ariel. (More on that later.)

Mechanically their main gimmick is that they can't be killed unless both twins are killed in the same turn, they are functionally the same unit so the Skarsnik implementation is once again ideal here.

Otherwise, one twin gets a bonus to damage the forces of Order and one against Chaos, and even in TT they are required to be fielded on a shared mount. They have two mount options, a Giant Eagle and an Forest Dragon, both a bit stronger than normal.

They also each get their own unique magic bow, one sister has a powerful but slow-firing flaming arrow that also lets them heal wounds to their mount, the other sister gets a rapid-firing but weaker bow with poison arrows.

They'd be more than a bit of work to add but I hope CA goes for it because it would be cool as hell.

Ariel, the Mage Queen

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ariel

A bit of a long shot as she hasn't had rules for quite a while and the twins kinda exist to fill that void, but the co-ruler/demigod counterpart of the Wood Elves deserves at least a mention. Fey Butterfly Wizard thing, basically.

CA has gone for at least a couple of obscure choices though so I don't think including Ariel is too crazy.

Overall I think the most likely characters for the Wood Elves, at least starting out are Orion, Durthu, and the twins. Ariel would be a surprise, Araloth would be a FU, and Drycha just works better as a subfaction character added later.

Next up, I drag out the Brettonian's 5th edition rulebook, because it has a billion characters for some reason.

• Locked thread