Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
New Vegas Anti Crash Beta should fix it. Make sure it's the Beta version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

lilspooky posted:

Awesome. I'll sit down Friday and start doing the crunch of modding a Bethesda game.

Is the Arbitration mod mentioned in the OP still useful for the Combat AI stuff or is it no longer worthwhile? OP says it's old (at time that was written) but still good for the AI branch of it.

I don't remember if it's in the OP or not, but this was useful when I got all modded up https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_bbAq4u7Zc8TdNkZh4uWZXioTKvdl6lk4j0TofFfp7g/edit

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Shbobdb posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but despite searching I'm still having a heck of a time getting Fallout NV to run on Windows 10. Are there any tips/tricks?

If by "run" you mean "be able to play at all after the loading screen": http://steamcommunity.com/app/22380/discussions/0/343786745995848552/

Otherwise, NVAC is, indeed, the knees of bees.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Mosnar posted:

If by "run" you mean "be able to play at all after the loading screen": http://steamcommunity.com/app/22380/discussions/0/343786745995848552/

No actually the NVAC beta fixes the Windows 10 crash issue now too so you don't have to go through that d3d9 stuff.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mosnar posted:

I'm excited. I've only ever played FO1 & 2 (with some tactics but I couldn't really get into it). I've heard this is the best entry point to nuFallout for people like me. I remember seeing a friend of a friend playing it on his PC and it looked amazing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I haven't gotten the game working yet, but is there a way to make the game less player based? I like to play these games kinda drunk. If *I* can't hit poo poo, that shouldn't matter. If my character is low level, then they will miss. If my character is high level, they will hit. I've heard people going the opposite direction have the opposite problem. Given how much bitching there is, I'm assuming there is a fair amount of skill involved. That is the opposite of what I want. In Oblivion it didn't matter because gently caress archery. But I'm assuming long range accuracy will matter more in FO unless I want to go all slayer (which will probably involve strafing and some other poo poo I don't want to do).

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Pump perception, agility and luck and use nothing but VATS, crits and the associated perks.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kokoro Wish posted:

Pump perception, agility and luck and use nothing but VATS, crits and the associated perks.

This is good! Thanks!

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

CFox posted:

No actually the NVAC beta fixes the Windows 10 crash issue now too so you don't have to go through that d3d9 stuff.

Hmn. I had version 7.2.1.0 installed .. Good to know! Thank you!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Sorry, but Fallout 3/NV/4 are all first person shooters. If you're looking for an experience similar to FO1/2, you're going to be disappointed. VATS can help sometimes, but if you get in a big firefight or go up against something with a lot of HP you won't be able to rely on it exclusively.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

I haven't gotten the game working yet, but is there a way to make the game less player based? I like to play these games kinda drunk. If *I* can't hit poo poo, that shouldn't matter. If my character is low level, then they will miss. If my character is high level, they will hit. I've heard people going the opposite direction have the opposite problem. Given how much bitching there is, I'm assuming there is a fair amount of skill involved. That is the opposite of what I want. In Oblivion it didn't matter because gently caress archery. But I'm assuming long range accuracy will matter more in FO unless I want to go all slayer (which will probably involve strafing and some other poo poo I don't want to do).

A couple of things. Charisma boosts companion damage so if you go high CHA and run around with a couple of companions (you get one human and one non-human at a time) then you can let them take care of things for the most part. You'll just need to equip them with better stuff than their default armor/weapons most of the time. The other thing is that melee/unarmed is actually really powerful in this game, the only thing that brings it down is that by default there's option to sprint like in Skyrim so you'd want to get a mod for that. You'll want to head over to the New Vegas modding thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713 and check out things in the OP and ask questions. New Vegas has a pretty great selection of mods at this point. Beyond that you can make a VATs based game work but again it helps if you have a few mods to help out the experience.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Sorry, but Fallout 3/NV/4 are all first person shooters. If you're looking for an experience similar to FO1/2, you're going to be disappointed. VATS can help sometimes, but if you get in a big firefight or go up against something with a lot of HP you won't be able to rely on it exclusively.

Still good games, but if you want something that feels old school check out Wasteland 2 perhaps?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Tell that to my BoS character, who has done nothing but generate and exectute crits using that laser rifle Danse rewards you with for 50 levels. It's perfectly doable with the right attributes and perks.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Pump yourself full of drugs and hit things. NV has a rather large library of melee weapons that 3 and 4 sorely lack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vegas has the 2-Step Goodbye, a shotgun fist.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
How long does it usually take to update the script extender? My settlements are getting big enough that i need to start some serious building and thats a huge pain without place anywhere.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Arcsquad12 posted:

Vegas has the 2-Step Goodbye, a shotgun fist.

Don't forget the fact that it turns enemies you crit-punch into AoE explosions!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hanzo Steel AND the Nuka Breaker.

God that was a good DLC.

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I'm looking for any way at all to randomize the Fallout 4 experience. I have already searched to the depth and breadth of my ability, which is to plug the word "random" into the fo4 nexus search bar and see nothing interesting and give up, so now I'm asking you guys.

Basically I've done 2 thorough playthroughs and I'd really like any way to play the game without going through the same stuff over again. I see a few different Alternate Start mods on the Nexus so I'll probably use one of those, but if anyone has any suggestions for ways to switch up the rest of the game, I'd love to hear them, please and thank you!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

anime tupac posted:

I'm looking for any way at all to randomize the Fallout 4 experience. I have already searched to the depth and breadth of my ability, which is to plug the word "random" into the fo4 nexus search bar and see nothing interesting and give up, so now I'm asking you guys.

Basically I've done 2 thorough playthroughs and I'd really like any way to play the game without going through the same stuff over again. I see a few different Alternate Start mods on the Nexus so I'll probably use one of those, but if anyone has any suggestions for ways to switch up the rest of the game, I'd love to hear them, please and thank you!

Do you mean like changing the spawn cells so that say an area that is normally full of Mutants is now full of Synths instead?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Gridlocked posted:

Do you mean like changing the spawn cells so that say an area that is normally full of Mutants is now full of Synths instead?

I suppose so! I just want my next playthrough to be as different as possible, so changing enemy spawn types would be good; moving bobbleheads to a place I don't expect them would also be good; etc etc

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is there a rebalance modpack for fallout 4 similar to ropekid's New Vegas jsawyer mod?

basically i wanna run around being quite fragile but able to kill dudes easily. i want to try and make the game a bit more twitchy rather than pumping shot after shot into bulletsponges, and it'd be nice to have low-level encounters still be dangerous if i'm not paying attention

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

is there a rebalance modpack for fallout 4 similar to ropekid's New Vegas jsawyer mod?

basically i wanna run around being quite fragile but able to kill dudes easily. i want to try and make the game a bit more twitchy rather than pumping shot after shot into bulletsponges, and it'd be nice to have low-level encounters still be dangerous if i'm not paying attention

No one has done an AI Overhaul yet, but grab my create your own difficulty mod from the OP, which let's you customize damage taken and damage dealt. That, along with Weapon Balance Overhaul, and you'll have a good start. They're both very lightweight, but surprisingly powerful nonetheless.

Also pop in one of the mods that increases spawns too. I haven't played in some time, is War of the Commonwealth.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

The official survival mode is pretty much equivalent, sans the quick saving / fas travel limitations. I find enemies in 4 even less bullet spongey than with jsawyer.esp.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So is it safer to go with the Nexus Mod Manager instead of the Mod Organizer? Historically I've always used the Mod Organizer but I've seen some videos of people talking about mods and saying that since it's still in beta it's pretty buggy / possibly breaks your game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

lilspooky posted:

So is it safer to go with the Nexus Mod Manager instead of the Mod Organizer? Historically I've always used the Mod Organizer but I've seen some videos of people talking about mods and saying that since it's still in beta it's pretty buggy / possibly breaks your game.

Go with NMM for FO4. It's also a virtual filesystem and is generally less buggy than MO.

You should absolutely use Mod Organizer for Skyrim, however.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

lilspooky posted:

Mod Organizer 2 has been a dreamlike experience for me. I haven't had a single issue with it, even when my mod count gets to ~150, even if I have FROST in one profile and vanilla mods in others. The per-profile saved games thing is a little broken and requires manually moving saves around, but it does it reliably and without any data loss that I can see.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
What about that one program that did some sort of review of your mods for compatibility and I think bashed patches? I think it was called LOOT or something for Skyrim and before. Does that exist for FO4?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

lilspooky posted:

What about that one program that did some sort of review of your mods for compatibility and I think bashed patches? I think it was called LOOT or something for Skyrim and before. Does that exist for FO4?

Yes, but it's far better to open up your mods in FO4edit, apply filter for cleaning, and see what conflicts where. For the most part you'll be able to tell what changes are overwriting what, and you can decide yourself how you want to prioritize them and create your own merged patches.

I don't even use a load order optimizer these days.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ok, thanks a ton for the help. Time to sit down and figure all this out. Good thing I have a lazy weekend. :D

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
That's bad advice, use LOOT as a starting point and then if you want crack open FO4Edit.

You'll have to make orders of magnitudes more edits of you don't have a sane load order to begin with, and you will have minimal edits if you arrange it correctly.

Obviously the number and types of mods you have plays a large role as well but in general the above is true.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah? To be honest I'm probably going to go ahead with Mod Organizer as it's what I've known and am comfortable with plus I think it's more powerful than NMM if I remember correctly. I was pretty sure there was a good reason for LOOT but it's been so long since I modded Skyrim and other games that I couldn't remember how essential it was.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
As someone who has made mods and modded Bethesda games since Morrowind, yes. Probably the single most important thing you can do for a good experience.

Technically you could merge everything by hand with whatever order but it would be absolute masochism.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

That's bad advice, use LOOT as a starting point and then if you want crack open FO4Edit.

You'll have to make orders of magnitudes more edits of you don't have a sane load order to begin with, and you will have minimal edits if you arrange it correctly.

Obviously the number and types of mods you have plays a large role as well but in general the above is true.

True, I should amend my advice. Use LOOT first, but feel free to deviate from that load order as need be and to make your own merged patches. It's super simple to just make a merged patch, then drag and drop in FO4edit. It'll significantly improve your experience.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Time for the weeky what good on Nexus Fallout 4 mods wise!

You know what we were missing in Fallout 4? I mean we had a Thompson again in the base game and that was all fine and dandy but us nerds who loved FNV missed our laser firing version of these guns. Now they are back! praise be and enjoy this scratch built from the ground up Fallout 4 Laser RCW!

If your the type of player that likes going all Cowboy with repeaters, shotguns and revolvers but the current base shotgun looks well, like a bland dog turd? Some dude hears you and have created a much nicer looking bad rear end double barreled shotgun. Come it's own set of bad rear end mods and ammo. Just look at that barrel art! enjoy the The Widow Shotgun.

Kind of annoyed that the new assault rifle is all rusty and poo poo with Nuka World? Well this mod cleverly titled Rust Free Home Made Assault Rifle gets rid of the rust on the guns paint and leaves the rest of the textures intact.

Pissed your grenades don't have fragmentation and explosive? This guy fixes that! just don't get hit by your own shrapnel ho ho! get this with TRUE FRAGS!

Did you ever feel sad that this game never let you run around with a proper Browning Style machine gun in your power armour? well now you can with Wasteland Melody's Heavy Machine Gun!

Played Phantom Pain or the Metal Gear games and thought to yourself 'Yeah I wish I could surprise these jerks with my gun and force them to lie down and not force me to waste ammo?' well Metal Gear Style Intimidation deals with that sort of craving.

Tired of your Provisioners sort of getting horribly killed by Super Mutants and other dicks of the Wasteland? Proficient Provisioners turns them from dead meat into well trained and armed grizzled survivors that won't get horribly killed and lose your stuff! It replaces Brahmin with guard dogs as well.

Do you like the armour and clothing in the game and would rather just have that rather than the canon breaking stripper wear Nexus loves but can't be hosed to do the crafting and Railroad stuff for it? Armatura basically works on improving the stats of the stuff making even the most soiled of rags more useful!

Want to just wear Jason's Hockey Mask and hit Marcy with a famous machete!?

Want a huge pack of just weird, stupid or crazy weapons to kill things with? EPA Weird Weapons Wackypack has that covered!

Looking for another conventional smg? tired that your weird WW2 Wehrmacht armoury is missing something? come get this MP-40 right here!

Ever thought the base game Gunners were terribly terribly bland and want them to look a little more exciting AND have some new military themed gear to steal from their corpses? Gunner Faction Armor Pack gives you some new gunner themed gear to mess around in!

Like putting the dead head of creatures you killed around your house with one of those Workshop DLC? wish you could put more than just the base type on the wall and show you can kill EVERY level of creature now you monster? well now you can with Taxidermy Extended!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a mod which makes some of the first person weapon models slimmer?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
my friend is playing skyrim again on pc (he beat it on 360) and him refusing to mod is killing me

the fact that you have to reinstall mods to change their settings in NMM is also killing me

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Relin posted:

my friend is playing skyrim again on pc (he beat it on 360) and him refusing to mod is killing me

the fact that you have to reinstall mods to change their settings in NMM is also killing me

Considering you're talking about FOMODs that change the actual .esp that's being used, yeah it's inevitable I'm afraid.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

That Widow gun is seriously gorgeous. That's a "give to my video game boyfriend/girlfriend" kind of gun. I'd spend too much time staring at it if I used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Midnight Voyager posted:

That Widow gun is seriously gorgeous. That's a "give to my video game boyfriend/girlfriend" kind of gun. I'd spend too much time staring at it if I used it.

Agreed. When I get back to Fallout 4 I'll have to build an entire character around that gun.