Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dali Parton posted:

Yo so if I wanna play CK2 as vikings, all I need is the base game and Old Gods? Are there any other expansions that have content and improvements outside of their cultural focus bubble?

Way of Life and Conclave are both gameplay expansions that affect every culture/religion, maybe get those too, they are dirty cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dali Parton posted:

Yo so if I wanna play CK2 as vikings, all I need is the base game and Old Gods? Are there any other expansions that have content and improvements outside of their cultural focus bubble?
Legacy of Rome gives retinues, which is most relevant to viking games starting in England, but incredibly useful even after reforming for any viking because it makes raiding take zero planning. Horse Lords gives some extra interaction with adventurers who will be coming and going at various times but that's a pretty minor addition.

As mentioned, besides Old Gods being a general must purchase for rebellions that make sense, Way of Life, Conclave, and Reaper's Due are the closest thing to must haves because they represent a ton of great event or internal realm content that actually gives legs to the game when not painting the map.

Charlemagne is a potential maybe if you really like painting the map but that should probably be farthest from your mind when just getting in. The Scandinavian empire is largely dirt farmers without a lot of personal investment, so a Scandinavia based viking game can get some mileage out of a custom empire, and viceroys tend to make things simpler for any large empire.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Is this sale also happening on steam?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Goofballs posted:

Re up the thread what is the current best retinue outside nomads? Cavalry seem to always win but always get wrecked so they take forever to build back up which is expensive as gently caress.

This is the most recent retinue info I've been able to find. The short answer is use pikemen unless you're one of the handful of cultures listed there.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Various Meat Products posted:

This is the most recent retinue info I've been able to find. The short answer is use pikemen unless you're one of the handful of cultures listed there.

Cheers, seems like a decent writeup.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Concur with this. I have 20,000 Venetian pikemen in 1020 and they wreck literally everything. Less than two weeks to set up a siege on any castle I've yet found, and they take it in days with barely more casualties than I can regenerate in the time. It's like paying someone 150G to open the gates and surrender. (On which note, maybe one day we could get a bribery option?) And they're no worse in the field; a while back when I only had about 6k of them Byzantium declared an embargo war on me. My pike plus a few thousand hangers on and a cheap merc band took on the entire combined armies of the Empire and won. Now I just need to figure out how to convert Venice to Scottish culture for the Schiltron tactic.

I'm having a problem in that game, though. The Aztecs invaded almost on the first day possible and as you'd expect they rolled up almost the entire of Spain plus Aquitaine and later, France. The problem is that their event troops have not despawned. After 180 years they only have about 85000 of them left, and there's also been a split in the Empire so Hispania is now independent, but they're still capable of fielding over 100,000 Heavy Infantry. Any suggestions?

Also some interesting news: I just saw the AI fight an excommunication war.

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

tuyop posted:

No but the Paradox store just gives you steam keys.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

This doesnt mention Berber Light Cav at all, any idea if they are any good?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think light cav is aggressively mediocre to mass as a retinue because it's tactics are skirmish based which isn't numerically going to be decisive anymore, its skirmish tactic can fire a nerfed version if you mass too many, and for the cost the stats are kind of meh besides being a cost effective way to score kills in pursuit which requires already winning the battle.

e. The cultural building bonus might encourage mixing them in at like level 3 when you start getting comparable to the tengri west slavic cav stats.

ee. Another retinue writeup pegs light cav as pretty decent? I don't know, massing pikes still seems really useful just because they seem to do magic against sieges or something.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 28, 2016

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

zedprime posted:

ee. Another retinue writeup pegs light cav as pretty decent? I don't know, massing pikes still seems really useful just because they seem to do magic against sieges or something.

This says it's from version 2.4 which was a year ago, not sure how much of it is still up to date.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

This says it's from version 2.4 which was a year ago, not sure how much of it is still up to date.
Its 2 weeks newer than the first one you posted.

I don't think there's been any huge combat stat or tactics changes or else there'd be an easier spreadsheet to find than the 2.4 stuff that keeps coming up from the last big combat change.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to select an army sitting still in enemy territory without blocking half the screen with windows? Every time I try to pick up a sieging unit and move it somewhere else, these pop-ups block whatever I was looking at, and I have to try and look at the map through that tiny little gap on the right. I don't remember it being like this.

I think you used to have to actually click on a besieged county to bring up the county page before the reapers due patch. Is there any way to bring that back?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Whoops.

e: yeah I can't find anything related to combat balance in the patches since 2.4

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 28, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

zedprime posted:

I think light cav is aggressively mediocre to mass as a retinue because it's tactics are skirmish based which isn't numerically going to be decisive anymore, its skirmish tactic can fire a nerfed version if you mass too many, and for the cost the stats are kind of meh besides being a cost effective way to score kills in pursuit which requires already winning the battle.

e. The cultural building bonus might encourage mixing them in at like level 3 when you start getting comparable to the tengri west slavic cav stats.

Interesting. It is 1000 in my Berber game and I have not built any Retinues yet because I heard that they got so much more expensive in general, as well as having a persistent upkeep now. I can raise 10k from Al-Djazair alone and have another 5k from my other counties, and ran raise about the same in vassal levy, so I wasnt sure when I should start building retinue.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Is there any way to select an army sitting still in enemy territory without blocking half the screen with windows? Every time I try to pick up a sieging unit and move it somewhere else, these pop-ups block whatever I was looking at, and I have to try and look at the map through that tiny little gap on the right. I don't remember it being like this.

I think you used to have to actually click on a besieged county to bring up the county page before the reapers due patch. Is there any way to bring that back?

Yes you click the cross in the corner of the army page to return to the pre-patch version. :v:

I do get your point if you're playing on a laptop, and not sure if this can be disabled. Playing on a 21" screen I prefer it as I can change army's generals without pretending to move them and then cancelling it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Can someone please take a look at a save game for me? I just got a Game Over as Venice when I had at least three valid adult heirs including a living son designated as heir.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Volkerball posted:

It was the other way around, clicking on a unit that's besieging used to bring up the county screen instead of the army screen, and the only way to change your leaders (which I dunno about you but I do a LOT because if at all possible I have an Organizer leading my army while it's moving and switch to a Siege Leader when it's laying siege) was to pause, order the army to move, change the leader, cancel the movement and unpause.

With the Reaper's Due patch they made it so both screens come up when you click on a unit that's besieging. I dunno I like it a lot more that way myself :shrug:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was the other way around, clicking on a unit that's besieging used to bring up the county screen instead of the army screen, and the only way to change your leaders (which I dunno about you but I do a LOT because if at all possible I have an Organizer leading my army while it's moving and switch to a Siege Leader when it's laying siege) was to pause, order the army to move, change the leader, cancel the movement and unpause.

With the Reaper's Due patch they made it so both screens come up when you click on a unit that's besieging. I dunno I like it a lot more that way myself :shrug:

Nah, I don't really dabble into combat strategy too much, aside from force composition in retinues. The only time I ever dealt with pulling commanders off of a besieging force was when I didn't have enough commanders to go around, and I'd have to move commanders from stack to stack depending on which ones were about to see combat. Don't see much of a point in micromanaging it that hard when it comes to achieving your war goals, because at the end of the day, unless you involve a tribal light infantry army, or a horde that's pure cavalry/horse archers, the bigger force wins pretty much 10/10 times. But if that scratches an itch for people, have at it. Would be nice to at least make it less obnoxiously big, or add a minimize button so you can open and close that menu as you want to or something though.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

zedprime posted:

Light Cavalry is relatively cheap, and is a fantastic bang for the buck. It's best as Tengri, but any religion will do well with them.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Nah, I don't really dabble into combat strategy too much, aside from force composition in retinues. The only time I ever dealt with pulling commanders off of a besieging force was when I didn't have enough commanders to go around, and I'd have to move commanders from stack to stack depending on which ones were about to see combat. Don't see much of a point in micromanaging it that hard when it comes to achieving your war goals, because at the end of the day, unless you involve a tribal light infantry army, or a horde that's pure cavalry/horse archers, the bigger force wins pretty much 10/10 times. But if that scratches an itch for people, have at it. Would be nice to at least make it less obnoxiously big, or add a minimize button so you can open and close that menu as you want to or something though.

To me the two most annoying things about war in CK2 are (1) Endlessly chasing around an enemy force that refuses to engage you and (2) waiting for sieges to finish. Organizers and Siege Leaders respectively REALLY help with these things so I go out of my way to have one of each in my court if at all possible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Can someone please take a look at a save game for me? I just got a Game Over as Venice when I had at least three valid adult heirs including a living son designated as heir.

Were you the Doge, and did your heir have enough election points to become Doge on succession? There's an annoying old bug where sometimes Merchant Republics destroy themselves if the Doge's personal capital is non-coastal (becoming a standard republic instead, which you aren't allowed to play).

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Thinking of picking up Charlemagne, Conclave, and/or Horselords (might like to wait for Reaper's Due to go on sale, am hella poor right now). Conclave sounds like it'd be a lot of the stuff I don't enjoy as a novice CK2 player, does it have any other good features?

Also holy hell were you guys not kidding about West African not being fleshed out. Tried a game as the King of Ghana just for the hell of it and was weird seeing all the characters with no families, etc. Religion seemed pretty bare-bones too.

tuyop posted:

It is now, yeah.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Thinking of picking up Charlemagne, Conclave, and/or Horselords (might like to wait for Reaper's Due to go on sale, am hella poor right now). Conclave sounds like it'd be a lot of the stuff I don't enjoy as a novice CK2 player, does it have any other good features?

I does makes the game quite a bit harder and complicated so really you might just wait until you got a good grasp of CK2

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Conclave is probably worth holding off on. I don't play with it on because it just makes everything more tedious.

Edit: I guess you can turn off shattered retreat in the options now, but you can't turn off the new education system.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 29, 2016

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Were you the Doge, and did your heir have enough election points to become Doge on succession? There's an annoying old bug where sometimes Merchant Republics destroy themselves if the Doge's personal capital is non-coastal (becoming a standard republic instead, which you aren't allowed to play).
I've run into that problem when the republic's de jure capital is not coastal, but are you saying this will also happen if the newly elected Doge's capital county is too far inland? Once again, why you never let your fellow patricians get land.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

darthbob88 posted:

I've run into that problem when the republic's de jure capital is not coastal, but are you saying this will also happen if the newly elected Doge's capital county is too far inland? Once again, why you never let your fellow patricians get land.

The doge is always based out of the merchant republics coastal capital. The newly elected doge gains control of it. The family of the old doge becomes based out of one of their secondary holdings, whether inland or not, but the capital is still functionally the capital of the republic when it comes to calculating your connected to capital bonuses.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

McGavin posted:

Conclave is probably worth holding off on. I don't play with it on because it just makes everything more tedious.

Edit: I guess you can turn off shattered retreat in the options now, but you can't turn off the new education system.

The new education system is good though. Conclave was the best DLC. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yes and yes. Also I was not getting an end-of-game warning, I have no non-coastal holdings in my personal demesne and my designated heir is both unlanded and of my dynasty.

I just looked again and I found the cause. I was trying to imprison a treasonous vassal, and every time I started the war the game suddenly decided for no apparent reason that I had no heir. It's not that I had only one heir and he was on the other side - I have four adult sons and my heir is a commander in my army. As soon as I ended the war I had an heir again. If someone wants to try and figure out what I can't, the save file is here. To reproduce the issue, you need to fail to imprison Doge Libero of Bosnia.

A lesser question: I hold the Kingdom of Bohemia, but the decision to form the HRE doesn't say I hold a Kingdom within the four de jure Empires. Is this a Republic thing?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

McGavin posted:

Every thing actually wrong with conclave was in the patch.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

McGavin posted:

The new education system has issues (mostly the high number of people with 0-2 traits it produces and fhe fact there are only about 3 foci you'd ever want to pick) but holy poo poo, tedious? I spent like 800% more time micromanaging tutors before Conclave or else my kids would invariably end up Gluttonous Chaste Arbitrary Craven Detached Priests.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I'd say Conclave is my favourite of the DLC. Conclave changes the game a lot but I'd argue it's big positive change. It simulates the political string pulling in the background and makes vassal management and appeasement actually important.

People dislike it for two reasons; it was released with a patch that had shattered retreats and it hamstrings the player a lot if they're trying to paint the map as a leader. Incidentally painting the map as a strong vassal is loads more fun and easier with Conclave.

Edit: Also shattered retreat isn't all bad. I mean I play with it switched off but if you're bordering a tribal/raiding culture shattered retreat is actually a boon as playing with it off means endless chasing of raider armies as they retreat and whittling down their 2000 size force by 62 soldiers each time. Also it helps a lot when you're on the losing side!

Weavered fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 29, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

An army that loses a major battle should just be automatically disbanded, with the usual penalty for disbanding outside friendly territory (even if in friendly territory, in this case). It's more in flavor with what actually happened in that era and it would work with the game mechanics. It's beyond me how Paradox never saw this and thought the Shattered Retreat was a better idea.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
All in all, after some games with conclave, I have mixed feelings about it

I like the favour system (but I think it's underused, it should be expanded to almost any diplomacy action), I like the new law system. I don't like the new education system and I think the council politics can get quite annoying in the long run

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Eric the Mauve posted:

An army that loses a major battle should just be automatically disbanded, with the usual penalty for disbanding outside friendly territory (even if in friendly territory, in this case). It's more in flavor with what actually happened in that era and it would work with the game mechanics. It's beyond me how Paradox never saw this and thought the Shattered Retreat was a better idea.

That's idiotic. Let's just take away the ability to fuckin' win against superior numbers entirely. If the game worked like that then it'd be pointless to play as an non-major power. Oh the blobs looked at you funny? Guess you're hosed then. One battle goes slightly wrong? Game Over.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'd like the new education system if there were like way more events to go along with it, related to the childhood focuses and educations. As it is, selecting a focus, then forgetting about the kid reaches age 12, then setting an education and forgetting about it until they come of age is way less engaging and interesting than the old event-based system.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ShootaBoy posted:

That's idiotic. Let's just take away the ability to fuckin' win against superior numbers entirely. If the game worked like that then it'd be pointless to play as an non-major power. Oh the blobs looked at you funny? Guess you're hosed then. One battle goes slightly wrong? Game Over.

Actually if you stacked leader and terrain bonuses you'd be able to completely destroy larger blobs, how it works right now is that a doomstack can get defeated, run across the whole map reinforcing in friendly territory, and then come back at full strength. If the blob was disintegrated you could siege a lot of their lands and they wouldn't be able to raise levies.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Take out reinforcing in friendly territory!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Buschmaki posted:

Actually if you stacked leader and terrain bonuses you'd be able to completely destroy larger blobs, how it works right now is that a doomstack can get defeated, run across the whole map reinforcing in friendly territory, and then come back at full strength. If the blob was disintegrated you could siege a lot of their lands and they wouldn't be able to raise levies.

The gently caress are you on about? They don't come back at full, they come back minus all the men you just killed. Your "solution" boils down to "I only wanna fight one battle per war" and that's fuckin' stupid.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
retinues own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ShootaBoy posted:

The gently caress are you on about? They don't come back at full, they come back minus all the men you just killed. Your "solution" boils down to "I only wanna fight one battle per war" and that's fuckin' stupid.
It's a history based game; historically, after an army was defeated it would pretty much disentigrate. He is advocating for something emulating that.

I think it is a great idea. It may need some work but there is no need to be a dick about it.

• Locked thread