Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

ETB posted:

You have a Hastega through Garnet who can act as a decent healer. Try to get the Dr. Mog's Teachings and Mako Might RMs ASAP to up your ability to take on difficult content.

You have a Boostga (30% attack for all) on Sazh, one of the better Support units you can have with his versatility. Same principal with the RM above.

What you are missing is a Wall (Tyro/Y'shtola) for some of the more difficult content, but you can use a Roaming Warrior to compensate for that.

You are also missing a solid Medica, so I would prioritize that in the future.

Thanks for the advice!

Looking at upcoming banners, I feel like I should just be saving like crazy for the Y'shtola banner? I don't really have any specific damage targets, and it feels like that one could cover all my needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

So how rough is mote Ifrit? I've not done it yet, mostly because it kind of scares me how overtuned his damage is and I don't have any ice damage SBs, but I've done every other mote dungeon.

Good to have lots of fire resist accessories. Double healer setup can be a good idea. You can always RW something like Rinoa BSB, plus then Blizzaja and Chain Blizzaga on your guys. Magic Blink is good if you got it. He's pretty tough. Just one stamina so don't be scared to give it a go and gauge how you do.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Wilekat posted:

Thanks for the advice!

Looking at upcoming banners, I feel like I should just be saving like crazy for the Y'shtola banner? I don't really have any specific damage targets, and it feels like that one could cover all my needs.

You have 61 Stamina, you still have a ton of Mythril to pick up from story dungeons. At least 500! I mean, yes, the Minfilia 1 banner is worth saving 200 Mythril for (and maybe even more) without a doubt but you'll have plenty of Mythril to spend before you get there. If you manage to do all the Ult+ fights (Ult++ is less important) with what you have then I suppose it doesn't matter but I doubt it, you have good relics for having so few but your selection doesn't allow for a slam dunk A-Team, I'm afraid. Go ahead and prove me wrong but I'd wager you will need to shore up your relics a bit to be able to do difficult content comfortably. At least look into spending some on the Onion Knight 1 banner when it comes around and I wouldn't discount tossing a pull here and there at Lucky banners and at the Fest banners depending on how they end up looking.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Wilekat posted:

Thanks for the advice!

Minfillia 1 is insanely good, so that's a good consideration. OSBfest is coming up soon as well, so that may be a good opportunity to pick up strong sets of gear.

If you are into mages or hybrid groups, getting a Faithga and/or a party +ATK/MAG should be high on your list as well.

Always consider realm synergy as well when pulling. It'll make your time with Cid Missions much more tolerable. Otherwise, pull for your favorite character and don't chase single relics. :)

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Fair enough! I'm a sucker for pulling on anything and everything anyway.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Wilekat posted:

Fair enough! I'm a sucker for pulling on anything and everything anyway.

Just avoid anything less than 11x in almost all cases. Guaranteed 5* is a luxury.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
OSB Fest is 'coming up' in a sense, but it's still nearly 2 months from now. It's just wise to keep it in mind before you spend too much on banners between now and then, especially if you're planning on going hard on Minfilia since it should happen right before that banner in global.

Personally I'm probably going to stop spending mythril between Onion Knight and the festival just to build a bit of a stock back up in case any of the global banners are really good, even though I could probably use a pull on Squall OSB 1 for help with Mote Ifrit. Since past gacha luck dictates that I get VIII gear whenever I pull on lucky draws, I'll probably just wait for the ice-themed lucky draw that Japan got and hopefully fix that problem for half price.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

So how rough is mote Ifrit? I've not done it yet, mostly because it kind of scares me how overtuned his damage is and I don't have any ice damage SBs, but I've done every other mote dungeon.

He's really tough, I forget what my team was but lightning had two sets of blizzaga strike r4, r5. And Laguna with ice imperil. I also didn't have an ice bsb/ssb, but he sure took a long time to beat.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Mote Ifrit is tough but very straightforward for a hard encounter. All he does is pummel you with fire damage all day long. Fire resist accessories and slamming his ice weakness help a ton.

I didn't think he was that bad, but I did it after I got Chain Blizzaga and Papalymo's SSB (that potato is a beast) so my perspective is off.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I did non-CM Ifrit physically and it ran me out of hones and there were a few times where incoming damage threatened to drop someone, and that was with Cleansing Strike Agrias and Dreamstage Selphie. Granted, I went with my usual team (Shout Ramza, Paladin Force Cecil, Faithful Companion Gilgamesh, the aforementioned two) which wasn't optimized for the fight as I refused to craft a second copy of Blizzara Strike so my only ice damage was Blizzara Strike from Agrias and Ice Jump from Gilgamesh but it was genuinely close. I don't have access to options that'd let me do him CM-style yet. He's tough!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The problem is that Mote Ifrit's DEF is just as overtuned as his RES, so mage meta again ends up being the desired attack plan due to the ease of ice access and SB weakness coverage (see: Rinoa BSB). Normal Shout meta teams will just bounce off him unless they've got some heavy Blizzaga Strike/Ice Jump hones all around. (Or unless they have SBs providing solid ice burst action)

The important thing is, somewhat similar to Kaiser Dragon, Magic Blink will win or lose the fight for you. Having multiple sources of it makes your life infinitely easier when it spares you sucking down three meteors in the time it takes for your healer to queue up a medica.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
All this Mote Ifrit talk got me assembling my A Team for the fight, which includes Lulu and her ice mog. I am somehow having more trouble now than when I completed it with my Cid Mission. :psyduck:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Finally got around to changing my RM to Sheepsong. Friend code is eeJH for anyone interested.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

"Heh, this fight isn't so bad. He hits a little hard, but..."

*ifrit proceeds to drop meteors on the party 3 times in a row, gibbing selphie and bringing everyone else to almost dead*

:catstare:

Bonus comedy: Maria using her BSB as a last ditch effort at the end of the fight with everyone almost dead and it doing 700 damage a hit. What the gently caress even were those defenses

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

I did non-CM Ifrit physically and it ran me out of hones and there were a few times where incoming damage threatened to drop someone, and that was with Cleansing Strike Agrias and Dreamstage Selphie. Granted, I went with my usual team (Shout Ramza, Paladin Force Cecil, Faithful Companion Gilgamesh, the aforementioned two) which wasn't optimized for the fight as I refused to craft a second copy of Blizzara Strike so my only ice damage was Blizzara Strike from Agrias and Ice Jump from Gilgamesh but it was genuinely close. I don't have access to options that'd let me do him CM-style yet. He's tough!

:crossarms:

Just RW Rinoa's BSB off Edea w/ Memento Mori and have Seifer draw all the single-target attacks while defending.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ZiegeDame posted:

Just RW Rinoa's BSB off Edea w/ Memento Mori and have Seifer draw all the single-target attacks while defending.

Biggest issue, I'd assume, is not having a synergy mage stick or mage thrower other than the Crescent Wish. That's what stymied me on my clear until I did equipment shuffling.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ZiegeDame posted:

*meteor*
*meteor*
*dead*

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Yeah now that I recall my Ifrit efforts more clearly I hardly saw any meteors, maybe that's why I don't remember it being so hard.

:toot:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Pander posted:

*meteor*
*meteor*
*dead*

Nah he said he has Dreamstage, so it's more like

*meteor*
*dreamstage*
*meteor - miss*
*meteor*
*the boss should be dead by now, honestly*

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My Debuff Lucky Draw gave me Agrias' Kaiser shield. So the SB itself seems pretty decent (Having a Knight with a debuff can be pretty good), but after actually checking the equipment it actually boosts Lightning damage (the element) and can be used by Lightning (the character). I have her SSB and a Lightning boosting sword so that's pretty exciting, unfortunately the only debuff I have for elements is Balthier's Fire SSB so there's not much overlap there.

For element stacking stuff are you eventually looking at:

An elemental Debuff
Elemental buff equipment
Elemental Buff SBs?

Because I have all 3 of those but not for the same element.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

My Debuff Lucky Draw gave me Agrias' Kaiser shield. So the SB itself seems pretty decent (Having a Knight with a debuff can be pretty good), but after actually checking the equipment it actually boosts Lightning damage (the element) and can be used by Lightning (the character). I have her SSB and a Lightning boosting sword so that's pretty exciting, unfortunately the only debuff I have for elements is Balthier's Fire SSB so there's not much overlap there.

For element stacking stuff are you eventually looking at:

An elemental Debuff
Elemental buff equipment
Elemental Buff SBs?

Because I have all 3 of those but not for the same element.

Sort of.

The big two are element buff equipment (armor and weapon), and En-element buff SB's, along with multi hit skills that can take advantage of them, all on one character. Lightning with Lightning and her SSB isn't quite there, but her second BSB adds the enlightning to put it over the top. Tidus can do similar things with Water and his BSB and OSB once that comes out. And at this point everyone knows about the sort of hilarity Cecil or Celes can put together.

The elemental debuffs are less important - it's only 20% damage (versus 50-80% for the enelement buff), and of course if the boss is already vulnerable, it's not giving you anything, and if the boss is resistant/immune it's probably not giving you enough damage to justify ignoring that resistance. The big advantage is that attacks against an elemental weakness generate SB gauge faster. That adds up fast. So, for example, that Balthier SSB means that after the first SB cast, Firaga Strike is a better attack than Lifesiphon on an otherwise neutral target. And it means that any mages you have should grab a fire spell rather than an ice spell when choosing arbitrarily for a boss with no weakness or immunity. But if the boss is weak to Thunder, you should probably just load up on that element and ignore the SSB imperil effect. It'll be nice for boosting the damage of chaining the SSB, but won't be as good as just hitting a real weakness.

But in general Imperils are your lowest priority until you start looking at shenanigans like an all Paladin team carrying excaliburs with multiple honed copies of Saint's Cross or whatever. They're nice to have, but don't chase them.

(Of course, some imperil SB's are very very good, independent of being imperil effects. Beatrix comes to mind.)

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 30, 2016

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I don't think this has been posted yet: https://www.ffrkcentral.com/blog/2016/10/30/upcoming-in-app-announcement-halloween-2016-c

We knew most of what we were going to get for Halloween: 25 Mythril, that one hat and throwing pumpkin, the double Greens, the costumes... but the details of what will be available in the Gysahl exchange are up and of particular interest are two extra copies of the Evil Lantern and Witch's Hat and :siren: Freelancer Galuf and Lenna :siren:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Of note: I'm pretty sure Wolf Cloud is rereleased with the Angeal event, which is in ~1.5 months, so don't waste your greens on that!

I wonder how much each costume will cost. I started playing in time for short-haired Garnet but I need to buy everything from before that.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Cloudy Wolf comes back with the AC Tifa event, not Angeal. That's probably four months-ish away. It's the only previously released costume I don't have and will probably get it for 2K or less, likely won't bother for more than that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Sort of.

The big two are element buff equipment (armor and weapon), and En-element buff SB's, along with multi hit skills that can take advantage of them, all on one character. Lightning with Lightning and her SSB isn't quite there, but her second BSB adds the enlightning to put it over the top. Tidus can do similar things with Water and his BSB and OSB once that comes out. And at this point everyone knows about the sort of hilarity Cecil or Celes can put together.

The elemental debuffs are less important - it's only 20% damage (versus 50-80% for the enelement buff), and of course if the boss is already vulnerable, it's not giving you anything, and if the boss is resistant/immune it's probably not giving you enough damage to justify ignoring that resistance. The big advantage is that attacks against an elemental weakness generate SB gauge faster. That adds up fast. So, for example, that Balthier SSB means that after the first SB cast, Firaga Strike is a better attack than Lifesiphon on an otherwise neutral target. And it means that any mages you have should grab a fire spell rather than an ice spell when choosing arbitrarily for a boss with no weakness or immunity. But if the boss is weak to Thunder, you should probably just load up on that element and ignore the SSB imperil effect. It'll be nice for boosting the damage of chaining the SSB, but won't be as good as just hitting a real weakness.

But in general Imperils are your lowest priority until you start looking at shenanigans like an all Paladin team carrying excaliburs with multiple honed copies of Saint's Cross or whatever. They're nice to have, but don't chase them.

(Of course, some imperil SB's are very very good, independent of being imperil effects. Beatrix comes to mind.)
Alright, thanks for that. I actually do have Lightning's En-Lightning SB but it's really bad, it adds the aura and does nothing else. Compared to another one I have, Cloud's en-Wind thing, which deals a decent amount of damage and so even boosts itself for future casts.

I also have en-Dark for both Exdeath and Gabranth but that seems a bit unique since taking advantage of it kinda requires you doom yourself, and en-Holy for Yuna but I'm not really planning on making Yuna my offensive . From what I can tell though the en-SBs are way inferior to the en-BSBs overall which almost seem a requirement for this.

Yeah my Balthier almost always runs Firaga strike for this reason, and soon enough there will be a 5* fire spellblade for that, but mostly the nice thing about Imperil for him is it gives successive SSB casts a bit more power. His SSB is already pretty strong so it just means he becomes my hardest hitter when he starts spamming them against a single target.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Endark is excellent on Exdeath. It's best not to worry about Doom, if the doom timer is running out during the actual fight, you're taking way too long regardless. Memento mori + dark zone is a really strong combo that even works in a phys team.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Endark is excellent on Exdeath. It's best not to worry about Doom, if the doom timer is running out during the actual fight, you're taking way too long regardless. Memento mori + dark zone is a really strong combo that even works in a phys team.

Oh yeah definitely, I've used him for this alone and he puts out more damage than even the shouted SSB users sometimes. It's just that Endark seems to be a very specific use compared to like, building a fire-based team with imperils and such.

Also in practice actually building up the gauge to get off the Endark before the doom kicks in usually needs RM boosting materia too. Sometimes I'd do the start with 1 gauge materia on him just so he can memento mori, endark SB, then start dark zoning for much more damage. But I agree if Doom actually kicked in you probably lost already

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

two extra copies of the Evil Lantern and Witch's Hat and :siren: Freelancer Galuf and Lenna :siren:

Wait, what? So even F2Ps who haven't been particularly "lucky" with dupes will get to kiss their wallets goodbye with some actual +++ 8*s?

I mean, I'm glad we get Galuf and Lenna, especially since I've been demanding it for months, but having an essentially free +++ throwing weapon/hat with FFXIII synergy for anyone who's been here a year or longer is huge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Wait, what? So even F2Ps who haven't been particularly "lucky" with dupes will get to kiss their wallets goodbye with some actual +++ 8*s?

I mean, I'm glad we get Galuf and Lenna, especially since I've been demanding it for months, but having an essentially free +++ throwing weapon/hat with FFXIII synergy for anyone who's been here a year or longer is huge.

The throwing weapon isn't that useful for Cid's Missions, sadly, since the only character that can use it in-realm is Hope, and he'd really like magic instead.

I'd probably consider making two 6* hats instead of a 8* hat with a leftover. Mage armour is pretty rare in XIII.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

The throwing weapon isn't that useful for Cid's Missions, sadly, since the only character that can use it in-realm is Hope, and he'd really like magic instead.

I'd probably consider making two 6* hats instead of a 8* hat with a leftover. Mage armour is pretty rare in XIII.

8* synergy in stuff like nightmares is pretty good though, maybe good enough to make up for the crappy stats

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Not allowed to get dupe costumes, eh? Guess they aren't going to run the risk of glitches with conversion until they're ready for it. Ah well.

And yeah, I'd definitely want to go two 6* Witch's Hats and one 8* Evil Lantern. Just seems right. That'll fill up any holes that still exist pretty nicely.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alxprit posted:

Not allowed to get dupe costumes, eh? Guess they aren't going to run the risk of glitches with conversion until they're ready for it. Ah well.

Last time they ran that risk, Corel Elite broke everything. Now we can't get Wakka's MC1 in realm dungeons any more even though Japan can.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Super goddamn mad at this bullshit game right now. Trying to level up a bunch of low level characters in the 90 stamina XP dungeon with Celes and Gilgamesh babysitting with those RMs that are supposed to draw single target magic and physical attacks. Also have Magic Lure and Draw Fire on them since apparently the materias' effects don't last through all three rounds. Finally managed to finish the first round with everyone alive, start the second round and... one of those loving dragons hits one of my low-level characters with Aeroga and one-shots them.

At this point I just assume that the magic-draw RM only works on the first round of the dungeon, quit and restart. Start the round, Celes manages to cast Magic Lure and... the Dragon completely loving ingores her and one-shots the exact same low-level character with Aeroga.

...WHAT THE GODDAMN gently caress.

So loving goddamn mad at this bullshit right now and my phone trying to autocorrect all my cursing is NOT loving HELPING GODDAMMIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
:byodood:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

W.T. Fits posted:

Super goddamn mad at this bullshit game right now. Trying to level up a bunch of low level characters in the 90 stamina XP dungeon with Celes and Gilgamesh babysitting with those RMs that are supposed to draw single target magic and physical attacks. Also have Magic Lure and Draw Fire on them since apparently the materias' effects don't last through all three rounds. Finally managed to finish the first round with everyone alive, start the second round and... one of those loving dragons hits one of my low-level characters with Aeroga and one-shots them.

At this point I just assume that the magic-draw RM only works on the first round of the dungeon, quit and restart. Start the round, Celes manages to cast Magic Lure and... the Dragon completely loving ingores her and one-shots the exact same low-level character with Aeroga.

...WHAT THE GODDAMN gently caress.

So loving goddamn mad at this bullshit right now and my phone trying to autocorrect all my cursing is NOT loving HELPING GODDAMMIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
:byodood:

I'd assume it's a natural-type ability, and thus ignores reflect and draw-fire type effects.

You do know how to save/load to reset without spending stamina, right?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

flowinprose posted:

I'd assume it's a natural-type ability, and thus ignores reflect and draw-fire type effects.

You do know how to save/load to reset without spending stamina, right?

I do not. :smith:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Well your life is about to get much easier. You just kill the app during the battle then you load it back up, and you hit the "Ok" option, and the battle starts all over again without spending anything. I don't think I could even play this without it. :D

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

Oh man :(

Force close FFRK before your party dies (e.g. double tap home and swipe the program on android) and reload the game, start from the start of the last round you were in.

RNG is now YOUR bitch (not really though)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I hope you enjoy watching the load screen! And I hope you enjoy saving shitloads of stamina from now on. :)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Inge posted:

(e.g. double tap home and swipe the program on android)

Not sure how to do that on my phone.

Triangle is back, circle takes me to back out to the screen on my phone where all the apps are, and the square opens up the task manager.

If I use the circle to go out to the apps screen and try to reenter the game from there, it just goes right back to where it was when I hit circle.

If I use the task manager and hit "Clear All", it'll close Record Keeper, but then when I go to reopen the program, it'll ask me if I want to resume where I left off. If I tell it no, it bumps me back out of the last battle I was in but still consumes my stamina. If I tell it yes, it goes right back to where I was in the fight when I opened the task manager to close the program, which is useless to me if the one of the guys I'm trying to level is already dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Not sure how to do that on my phone.

If I use the task manager and hit "Clear All", it'll close Record Keeper, but then when I go to reopen the program, it'll ask me if I want to resume where I left off. If I tell it no, it bumps me back out of the last battle I was in but still consumes my stamina. If I tell it yes, it goes right back to where I was in the fight when I opened the task manager to close the program, which is useless to me if the one of the guys I'm trying to level is already dead.

Yeah, you want to hit Ok. It starts you back at the wave you were currently on. So if you're on wave 1, someone dies then you go on to wave 2, it'll start at wave 2 and you'll still be dead. But if you do it before wave 1 is over, like right after the guy dies, then you will get to do it over till you don't get the bad luck.

• Locked thread