Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I would worry about the game not retaining players if it was poo poo but both the SP and the MP owns. Siege started slow the same way. They will release new maps and modes over the coming months and cut the price/put it on EA access and it will be fine, you will always have people to shoot. Hell you could easily find matches on Titanfall 1 up till last week last I checked.

Only bad thing about this game is it ruins every other fps for you once you go back to bf1/overwatch and realize you can't wall run. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I genuinely had my doubts about Titanfall 2 despite loving the first one, and I'm pretty happy to say they were totally unfounded.

Now what the gently caress am I gonna do with the BF1 install?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nobody is saying the game is bad, but when its the first Saturday after the game came out and several game modes have sub 10 people looking for matches, things aren't looking good.

EDIT: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/titanfall-2-release-day-pc-players-just-2-current-battlefield-1-stats-ps4-multiplayer-565654 uh oh

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 29, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Only change I don't dig is that you can only take either a pistol or an AT weapon.

fadam posted:

Nobody is saying the game is bad, but when its the first Saturday after the game came out and several game modes have sub 10 people looking for matches, things aren't looking good.

EDIT: http://www.idigitaltimes.com/titanfall-2-release-day-pc-players-just-2-current-battlefield-1-stats-ps4-multiplayer-565654 uh oh

What? I was seeing about 20000 in the main lobby when I logged in today. :confused:

Damone
May 3, 2009
Game's doomed, go in for an execution!

Seriously though, game's population is doing fine for being sandwiched in-between two major releases. plus with the DLC being free when it comes to map packs there won't be a giant fracture in the player base.

I'm really bad with the SMR, any trick to it? I just can't seem to kill reliably with it.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

fadam posted:

they don't know what they're talking about in that article i think; they seem to believe that you're restricted to being matchmade with people in your Network or something

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Gunder posted:

:siren:There is now a network for Euro PC goons. It's called European Goonion (Clan Tag BRXT :britain:), and the happy hour is at 9pm GMT.:siren:

It's public for the moment, so just search for European Goonion and join.

I joined this, clicked "invite network" and someone joined.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I requested a refund for Titanfall 2 but not because it's a bad game, I just don't think it's for me. It is well-made, and if my refund doesn't get accepted for whatever reason I won't feel bad for having spent money on it. But I think there's some other stuff I'd rather spend that 60bux on.

If EA doesn't give me my cash back I'll play with yall on PC in the name of getting my money's worth, though. :unsmith:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Kinda surprised there is no combat record or stats page. Although I guess it's nice as I'm a stupid tryhard and I would inevitably obsess over my stats. Also, what's with all the pubbies ADS'd in a rooftop/window with the R-201? If you're not flying through the air chaining wallruns together 24/7 you're playing the game wrong.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I just played a bunch of games in a row of Amped Hardpoint and it's a really cool mode. A good take on the classic Domination game mode.

Had no problems queueing for it either, rumours of this game's death are being greatly exaggerated.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mordja posted:

Only change I don't dig is that you can only take either a pistol or an AT weapon.

What? I was seeing about 20000 in the main lobby when I logged in today. :confused:

I'm pretty sure that 20k is world wide though. When I go through and match make by game mode, the totals of the people it says are in queue for each game mode is a lot less than what it says is online.

A lot less:

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Javes posted:

Kinda surprised there is no combat record or stats page. Although I guess it's nice as I'm a stupid tryhard and I would inevitably obsess over my stats.

Apparently stats are coming with an upcoming patch, Respawn didn't have time to push them out for the initial release.

Xbox population is fine, sorry PC master race. :shrug:

EDIT: 39,802 people on Xbox right now in fact.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 29, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah PS4 I haven't had a wait long than like 10 seconds in any mode (except for variety which nobody does) this first weekend. Frankly I wish the "variety" button wasnt a separate queue and just dumped you into a random game type

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So what is the point of the Factions for MP? Does it effect anything other than who is standing in the ship we jump out of at the start of a game?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Smart Core best core. Legion 4 lyfe

I got a quintuple pilot kill in attrition when i though i had accidentally wasted my core. They were all trying to rush me with anti titan weaps and ordnance :madmax:

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 29, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Peewi posted:

I joined this, clicked "invite network" and someone joined.
It was an Attrition match, I believe? If so that was me.
Nice job trouncing the enemy team, by the way. :black101:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It wouldn't surprise me if the holiday weekend might be hurting numbers some too. I have the game but won't be able to play it until like Tuesday because I have to socialize like some sort of idiot.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Queue times seem fine here in Europe. :confused:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

RichterIX posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the holiday weekend might be hurting numbers some too. I have the game but won't be able to play it until like Tuesday because I have to socialize like some sort of idiot.

It's like 2 in the afternoon on the west coast, nobody is doing Halloween stuff until way later.

And the "holiday weekend" doesn't seem to be negatively effecting any of the queues for other games...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Legion is so good and I can't stop using the dumb Sidewinder SMR :allears:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

fadam posted:

It's like 2 in the afternoon on the west coast, nobody is doing Halloween stuff until way later.

And the "holiday weekend" doesn't seem to be negatively effecting any of the queues for other games...

Good point, I was generalizing I guess because I won't be able to play it for a few days.

The way people are talking about IW I wonder if there might be an uptick for TF2 when people get sick of it, but that's probably another erroneous assumption about whether or not the quality of a CoD entry has any actual effect on its population.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm not convinced the new CoD is going to sell well on PC at all. It's been available for preorder on Steam for a while but I've yet to see it on the top selling charts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nobody plays COD on PC, it takes forever to get matches and the only mode with a playerbase on BLOPS III for the last 9 months is just TDM

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I just can't stop playing tone. It's literally the only titan I have run so far. How high do the levels go? I'm at, like G2.7.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

There's absolutely no way the PC port of IW will be better than Blops 3, which was not stellar but had some neat things (the multiplayer starter kit, recently-released mod support)

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

COD is also a bad game for dumbs. Titanfall 2 is really fun but I think it's not going to do well since most people like their FPS games slow and dumb.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

A few questions. One, Bounty Hunt feels weird but it's sorta enjoyable. Two, is Stim a worthy replacement for Grappling Hook? And three, what's better for the charge rifle: Instant low damage or charged high damage, assuming anti-titan purposes.

fadam posted:

I'm not convinced the new CoD is going to sell well on PC at all. It's been available for preorder on Steam for a while but I've yet to see it on the top selling charts.

Part of me likes to think of Titanfall 2 as "Future CoD but actually great and fun".

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

widespread posted:

Part of me likes to think of Titanfall 2 as "Future CoD but actually great and fun".

That's kind of what I was hoping for, but sliding on the ground doesn't have that fun meaty feel that it did in blops 3. In general the movement feels floatier in Titanfall 2, but you can really haul rear end when you chain a few wallruns and that feels great.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

el B posted:

I just can't stop playing tone. It's literally the only titan I have run so far. How high do the levels go? I'm at, like G2.7.

It looks like the last one that unlocks stuff is G10 but idk if you can just level stuff up forever

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

widespread posted:

is Stim a worthy replacement for Grappling Hook?

Stim is a robot. Grappling hook is not a robot. Therefore, Stim. :awesomelon:

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

In Training posted:

Yeah PS4 I haven't had a wait long than like 10 seconds in any mode (except for variety which nobody does) this first weekend. Frankly I wish the "variety" button wasnt a separate queue and just dumped you into a random game type

I'm going have to be vague as to how exactly I know this (so I won't mind if you don't believe me), but the devs are contemplating changing variety to be more like you want, they were just worried that it might turn people off it further if people didn't realize that would mean longer wait times depending on the game mode it wants to put you in next (since a mode that just put you into Attrition 99% of the time since it's the fastest to find matches for wouldn't have much variety, after all)

I hope part of the changes for that would be relocating it to be above the selection of playlists to indicate it's not a playlist at all (and hopefully incentivize more people using it), but I don't think the idea had gotten farther than "we could do this if we need to" on the devs' end when they talked about this the day before launch.

As for levels, I think the only ones that go on forever are weapon levels, everything else stops at some point.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Exposure posted:

I'm going have to be vague as to how exactly I know this (so I won't mind if you don't believe me), but the devs are contemplating changing variety to be more like you want, they were just worried that it might turn people off it further if people didn't realize that would mean longer wait times depending on the game mode it wants to put you in next (since a mode that just put you into Attrition 99% of the time since it's the fastest to find matches for wouldn't have much variety, after all)

I hope part of the changes for that would be relocating it to be above the selection of playlists to indicate it's not a playlist at all (and hopefully incentivize more people using it), but I don't think the idea had gotten farther than "we could do this if we need to" on the devs' end when they talked about this the day before launch.

As for levels, I think the only ones that go on forever are weapon levels, everything else stops at some point.

Cool. If you know somebody on the dev team tell them it would be rad if I could do private matches of the coliseum mode so I can 1v1 my friends a bunch, that would be a lot of fun

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

widespread posted:

A few questions. One, Bounty Hunt feels weird but it's sorta enjoyable. Two, is Stim a worthy replacement for Grappling Hook? And three, what's better for the charge rifle: Instant low damage or charged high damage, assuming anti-titan purposes.

With the game's absurdly low time to kill, it's very useful. Stim allows you to close distance quickly, flee from someone who gets the jump on you, and helps a lot when trying to rodeo titans.

I dont know why, but I never cared for grappling hook. It's so slow and plodding that I had a hard time using it.

PortalFreak
Oct 29, 2016

God's true gift to mankind is 007 Nightfire for the Nintendo GameCube.
Just bought it a few mins ago, honestly the most interesting thing about this has to be the ability to bhop (well kinda slide jump but same thing gently caress you), cus it honestly makes me think that, along with other games out there/will be out there (i.e., Doom and Quake Champs, among others) are definatley taking movement seriously as a primary game mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhysHHKxFQ]

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is this as good as the first one? I miss the first one heavily! I watched some game play footage (not sure exactly when it was taken) and the gameplay seems.... slower?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My best gauntlet run thus far

A few tips for aspiring number crunchers:

Arc grenades are your friend, since they detonate on impact, arc to nearby enemies and the dummies only take 1 damage to kill

Cheat a little, take a running start at the gate, not just sprinting, wallrun off the little corridor at the start

Walls can be run on repeatedly if theres a split panel between them (i.e. wood, concrete, wood means you can run on the first wood, jump, then run on the second wood even if its the same side as your last wallrun)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ShineDog posted:

I really like the game, but yeah, the maps don't quite have the originals character.

One of the maps doesn't even have drop-ship intros I think, it takes place in a canyon. Also, one of the maps is probably the worst loving design, not because of aesthetics (I actually like them) but because it's 90% indoors so when you call your Titan there's 3 different spots where it'll actually drop and you have to run most of the map just to get to it. It's awful.

Sab669 posted:

So what is the point of the Factions for MP? Does it effect anything other than who is standing in the ship we jump out of at the start of a game?

I'm curious about this too.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Factions give different cosmetic unlocks

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Factions don't really *do* anything except change the announcer and who's in the ship at the beginning. They also have different banner cards but why would anyone choose anything but apex predators? :shrug:

Blisk is just bettah.

e: The only screenshot I've taken so far. I'm so so sorry my sweet robot boy :ohdear:

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Just unkocked Aces today. Cheers