Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

madmac posted:

The twins are cool, and also actually elves, and female, which this game still doesn't have yet so I hope they make it in.

What, the Vampire agents and Damsels of Bretonnia don't count?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Stephen9001 posted:

What, the Vampire agents and Damsels of Bretonnia don't count?

No named characters/female legendary lords though!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Do we have any inkling on when to expect the next DLC then? We've gotten content in a pretty swift tempo so far, so I guess they might be aiming for November or December, they might want to have some new content come out just before the holidays I guess.

Wonder when we'll get the first map expansion (though I imagine it to work alot like Empire Total War where you have separate maps that you can travel between using certain travel points). With the Wood Elves they've basically added all the tabletop armies covered by this section of the map, that would leave LL and ROR packs for Bretonnia(who I expect to be made playable together with the Wood Elves), Wood Elves, Chaos (though Chaos already has 3 LLs) and Beastmen.

First one's got to be adding the High Elves and Dark Elves, as I think that'd be the most popular and wanted, adding atleast Ulthuan and parts of Naggaroth, or Ulthuan and most of the New World which would mean Lizardmen as well (heyo!).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 29, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Brettonian Lords/Heroes

So the short version is that 6th edition Bretts only have two more special characters and those will 99% be added and that's probably all they get.

On the plus side, the Green Knight and Fay Enchantress are both really rad so that's not a bad thing. I'm just gonna look at the 5th edition characters because it's pretty out there. And by out there I mean straight lifted from popular folklore/history without more than a cursory attempt to scrub the names.

The Fay Enchantress

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fay_Enchantress

She's a wizard riding a Unicorn with a whole pile of special rules and items. She'll almost certainly be given Life as that's the lore she gets bonuses with.

Cause fear generally, Terror against Skaven/Greenskins/Beastmen. Can bestow the favor of the lady on one unit, can be acompanied by a special regiment of upgraded Grail Knights.

Her "Spiteful Glance" rule also damages all adjacent units every turn so effectively a damage aura.

Her magic items include a chalice that can randomly cast any spell from Lore of Heavens but runs out of power if you roll Comet. In game, probably just lets you cast comet once per battle.

She also has a girdle that gives her a ward save and a toad familiar that grants her extra magical power.

Should be one of the funner caster characters, looking forward to it.

The Green Knight

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Green_Knight

In TT he has a rule that prevents him from leading an army but CA hasn't let that stop them with anyone else so I'm not expecting him to be anything but a normal LL

The Green Knight is pretty much straight up the Green Knight from folklore and in Brettonia is rumored to show up whenever he is needed most.

His main thing is that he is literally a ghost knight, like Belegar's Ancestors but with full LL status. On top of that in TT he has a chance to reappear every time he is slain, though the chance gets smaller each time, naturally.

He also has a limited ability to teleport that is limited by terrain. Finally he has his one magic item the Dolorous Blade which increases either the strength or number of his attacks.

Anyway, those are the expected characters and they're both cool so that's cool. I just want to look at the assorted weirdos that filled out Brettonia's 5th edition roster because there's a shitload of them and who knows, maybe CA will bring one back for the hell of it.

5th Edition Brettonia was a bit less reigned in in general, so their army list includes generic Wizards, Dragons, and uh, various independent monsters and animal swarms. They also let you field squires as foot units and skirmishers which CA hopefully yanks to flesh out Bretts with.

Repance de Lyonesse

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Repanse_de_Lyonesse

Straight up Joan of Arc. Also probably dead, but whatever. Has a halo of fear, a banner that drains enemy magic and turns it against them, and a sword that negates the power of enemy magic items. (except weapons) Definitely one of the most interesting of the older characters.

Baron Odo

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Odo_d%27Outremer_and_Suliman_the_Saracen

A man who enjoyed the Brettonian crusades so much he brought a Saracen sidekick back with him. Yeah, that was a thing. Suliman even gets a special warcry that gives him initiative in close combat. Also gets a special morning star that can destroy enemy magical weapons.

Roland

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Roland_le_Marechal

He exists. Has a magic horn, you may have heard of him from the somewhat obscure epic poem Song of Roland

Tancred

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Tancred_II_of_Quenelles

Has a hateboner against Kemmler and the undead generally. Carries no less than three magic items designed to help him beat the poo poo out of the unliving.

Betrand the Brigrand

Straight up Robin Hood and his merry men, down to being accompanied by Friar Tuck and Little John. Honestly not even so much a Lord/Hero as a regiment of renown, and one I'd be very disappointed with CA not adding.

Knight of the Perilous Lance

A wandering hero who likes to show up for tournaments...and battlefields apparently. Beware his tricky jousting skills!

Tristran le Troubadour

One of the more interesting characters, basically a traveling Bard who can bestow attached units with various effects granted by his magical songs. Again, seems like an easy thing to steal for a generic Lord/Hero type if nothing else...Amusingly, is accompanied by his favorite jester sidekick, armed with sweet somersaults and cutting remarks. Literally.

Tristran owns is what I'm trying to say here.

Reynard

A hero who loves hunting so drat much he never goes anywhere without his boar spear, bloodhounds, and Hunting Hawk.

Jasperre le Beau

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Jasperre_le_Beau

The Dragonslayer. Is really good at slaying dragons, a talent that might remotely matter in a game where Dragons were something besides lovely mounts.

Bohemond Beastslayer

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Bohemond_of_Bastonne

Getting back to people with a remote chance of being added, Bohemond is really just a melee dude, but he's a melee dude with a badass looking model, a mace carved from the thighbone of a dragon, and a shield that breaks enemy weapons.

And sadly that's all the 5th edition characters. Out of all of them, the only ones I can see being added are like maaaaaybe Repanse or Bohemond or the robin hood guys, but I'd personally like to see Tristram revived by giving Bretts a Bard hero. Doubt GW would ever allow it though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well, i ended up using the 20% off code as an excuse to buy the game. are agents still as spammy as i heard they were at launch?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

madmac posted:

Bohemond Beastslayer

http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Bohemond_of_Bastonne

Getting back to people with a remote chance of being added, Bohemond is really just a melee dude, but he's a melee dude with a badass looking model, a mace carved from the thighbone of a dragon, and a shield that breaks enemy weapons.

And sadly that's all the 5th edition characters. Out of all of them, the only ones I can see being added are like maaaaaybe Repanse or Bohemond or the robin hood guys, but I'd personally like to see Tristram revived by giving Bretts a Bard hero. Doubt GW would ever allow it though.

Might have a decent chance to make it in as a splinter faction ala Belegar and Clan Angrund. I think the leader of Bastonne is named Bohemond in the game already.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Do we have any inkling on when to expect the next DLC then? We've gotten content in a pretty swift tempo so far, so I guess they might be aiming for November or December, they might want to have some new content come out just before the holidays I guess.

At this point, CA's DLC marketing has been really predictable. Teaser, which we just got, then announcement within a week, then release in 2-3 weeks. It'll definitely be November, could even be mid-November considering they're teasing it so early.

It's faster than I expected, but Wood Elves were pretty obviously pushed back to get King and the Warlord out first, (it's even labled DLC 6 in the files instead of 5) so they probably have had Wood Elves in a nearly finished state for a bit now.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 29, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Davincie posted:

well, i ended up using the 20% off code as an excuse to buy the game. are agents still as spammy as i heard they were at launch?

They got nerfed a couple times so not quite, but there's still lots of the around.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
So how are the wood elves, in terms of army composition?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
They've varied a lot over editions. People used to use them as archer hordes of small units that were difficult to engage. Nobody liked playing against it, so in the last edition their long range archery was nerfed in favour of shooting bonuses at short range and their roster of melee units was expanded.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I remember them back in 3rd or 4th edition or something. A friend of mine played them, glass cannons pretty much with units like blade dancers and archers and such having high weapon and ballistic skill and good attacks but little or no armor across the board, they also had stuff like eagles and big and small tree monsters.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 29, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

Wonder when we'll get the first map expansion (though I imagine it to work alot like Empire Total War where you have separate maps that you can travel between using certain travel points). With the Wood Elves they've basically added all the tabletop armies covered by this section of the map, that would leave LL and ROR packs for Bretonnia(who I expect to be made playable together with the Wood Elves), Wood Elves, Chaos (though Chaos already has 3 LLs) and Beastmen.

First one's got to be adding the High Elves and Dark Elves, as I think that'd be the most popular and wanted, adding atleast Ulthuan and parts of Naggaroth, or Ulthuan and most of the New World which would mean Lizardmen as well (heyo!).

Judging by the datamined map, first expansion will be Ulthuan, Naggaroth and Lustria, aka North and South America + made up atlantis island in the middle of the atlantic ocean.

2nd expansion will be the eastern lands that holds chaos dwarfs/ogre kingdoms and Nehekhara that will hold all the Tomb Kings stuff, essentially Eurasia and Northern Africa.

Davincie posted:

You're in luck, i remade a broken mod today that makes it so the computer cannot use agressive agent actions!

Here it is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=789208465

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 29, 2016

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Now that I think about it it does seem possible that we might get Skaven before the first expansion. You'd put Skavenblight on the map as a special settlement in the marshlands between Tilea and Estalia and have that be region with nasty attrition and movement penalties, then you'd have to do something clever to represent how they move about under the ground, I don't really expect a separate map for that when it would be all Skaven down there anyway, and then you'd also have events (there's already a Skaven event in the game I think) that could spawn Skaven hordes next to cities and such to make the ratmen a kind of global menace.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

According to the datamining the second expansion is for Chaos not the south and the east. The map expansion does not necessarily have to be tied to one of the major expansions given that much of the south and east is modelled on the current map just not actually accessible. Here's the full list again for those interested.

DLC 5 Wood Elves
DLC 8 Tomb Kings
DLC 10 Skaven
DLC 13 Chaos Dwarves
DLC 15 Ogre Kingdoms

Expansion 1

High Elves
Dark Elves
Lizardmen

Expansion 2

Khorne
Tzeentch
Nurgle
Slaanesh

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
All games played are recorded! Lets try to start pushing to finish up your games (this include my own slacking rear end).

quote:

Goon Fight 3 - Battle of the Underdogs Rules

Basic rules:
- Round robin style, all players will play 4 battles vs every other player on the list. Overall tournament winners will be determined by best overall record. Players with the same record will play tiebreaker matches best of 3.
- Once you play a faction against an opponent you may not pick that faction again in the current set of 4 games agaisnt that same opponent.
- Each player must use at least one of the following factions in the first 3 games - Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen.
- Players will lock in their faction choice in the prebattle lobby using the following method: One player will state their faction selection in chat "locking them into that faction" and then the second player picks a faction. First pick rotates each game.

Army Selection Rules:
- no Grim & Grave regiments of renown
- Using the following limits found here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EHpsvqVL-4pfKAF683SChvlqP8cdRM-m1xzafw54tyA/edit?usp=sharing
25% minimum core units
25% max leadership units
25% max special units
25% max rare units
~2% wiggle room allowed so people don't go crazy trying to fit something in exactly
veteran rank costs don't count towards a core/special/rare category

Battle Maps:
1) L'Anguille
2) MP Peak Pass
3) MP Blue Reach River
4) Pillar of Bone

Battle Actions:
- No corner camping defined as having the flanks of your army end on the red line on both sides
- No playing for a draw
- If you have artillery you may hang back as long as it's not camped in a corner.

Tips to Be a Cool Dude:
- save some army set ups before hand, the core/special/rare setup demands a little extra time. Respect your opponents time and limit fiddling around building your army right before battle.

Alternate Win Condition/Prize:
- Player with the most total game wins using any of the following factions Dwarf, Chaos, Bretonnia, Beastmen will be gifted their choice of DLC (excluding the $20 beastmen one). If the winner owns all the DLC you can nominate your favorite opponent to receive it.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 30, 2016

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I have a 20% rebate code left from the Grombrindal card:

T004T-B0ZKA-C683X

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Randarkman posted:

Now that I think about it it does seem possible that we might get Skaven before the first expansion. You'd put Skavenblight on the map as a special settlement in the marshlands between Tilea and Estalia and have that be region with nasty attrition and movement penalties, then you'd have to do something clever to represent how they move about under the ground, I don't really expect a separate map for that when it would be all Skaven down there anyway, and then you'd also have events (there's already a Skaven event in the game I think) that could spawn Skaven hordes next to cities and such to make the ratmen a kind of global menace.

We'll probably also see smaller Skaven settlements across the map. There's at least several in every region of the map (including the far north near Kraka Drak), so they'll be a pain in literally everyone's rear end (as they should be!). The real question is what their LL's are. Thanquol is an obvious shoo-in, but otherwise, Skreech Verminking? Ikit Claw? I don't know an enormous amount about Skaven leadership... (paging madmac to the thread :v:)

Also I can see why we never got a hotfix for the potion thing (among other stuff), apparently we're just moving straight on to the next update! Not too interested in Wood Elves per se, but I do want a functional Brettonia.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hammerstein posted:

I have a 20% rebate code left from the Grombrindal card:

T004T-B0ZKA-C683X

Took this one, thanks!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

madmac posted:

Lords/Heroes

Thanks for doing this!

I'd add that given the code found in the game for Legendary Heroes I wouldn't be surprised if the Twilight Twins and the Green Knight are added with a "Heroes of the Old World" DLC down the line. But this is pure speculation from me.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Naestra and Arahan were hilarious in Sixth Edition. They had Magic Bows, one of which kept units from moving and the other worked like a catapult if you hit your target. They could be ride either a great Eagle or a Forest Dragon, and if you didn't kill both of them in the same round the other one would be revive, hah

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Gonkish posted:

Any idea when Grombrindal is gonna show up besides "2017"? I don't have a GW store anywhere nearby.

I have a store across the street. How many sales pitches do I have to sit through to get it

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

goodness posted:

I have a store across the street. How many sales pitches do I have to sit through to get it

I was in and out in under 2 minutes (and that was just casual chat, no sales pitch involved). It was totally painless

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Captain Beans posted:

All games played are recorded! Lets try to start pushing to finish up your games (this include my own slacking rear end).
Just letting you know, Beans, that Yukitsu and I already played each other and ended up 2-2.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I need to play about 400 of my games still. Anyone available in a few minutes?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What mods should I have?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

What mods should I have?

I think most if not all of Cataph's mods add flavor without radically changing the game experience. I really like the progression icon one and the better camera one. Not so much a fan of the ones that limit agent action and such; that's their point, to be loving annoying.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Arglebargle III posted:

What mods should I have?

Tier 4 Minor Settlements, Better Autoresolve, and then grab a Skill Point mod and an Agent Nerf mod. Other than that it's a case-by-case of what you want to see changed in your games.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Triskelli posted:

Tier 4 Minor Settlements, Better Autoresolve, and then grab a Skill Point mod and an Agent Nerf mod. Other than that it's a case-by-case of what you want to see changed in your games.

It really depends what you want, none of those are essential by any means. I'm totally vanilla atm and it's fine for me. I'd say give a vanilla campaign a go and if say agents piss you off then yeah, get an agent nerf mod.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

What mods should I have?

UI/Misc.
Camera mod. This poo poo should be built-in by now, but until CA gets with it, grab this mod to zoom out/in to a greater degree.
Skip intro logos. Start the game into the main menu rather than having to skip a bunch of logos and such.
Better unit markers. Makes unit markers easier to see across all terrain types. On snow, they can be very hard to see especially.

Cosmetic
Beastmen colour variation. Makes beastmen have colour variation.
Chaos cosmetics. Makes Chaos warriors etc. have helmets, gorgets, more diverse weapons, and otherwise be the inhuman warriors encased in armor they should be. No bald Chaos warriors.
Blood knight helmets. No bald blood knights.
Bretonnia shields/barding. Makes Bretonnian knights look awesome.
Dirty zombies. Zombies look like exhumed corpses rather than fresh corpses wearing recently laundered clothing.
Longbeard helmets. No bald longbeards.
Horse variations. Gives Empire/Bretonnian factions horses of differing colours, rather than every horse being brown or whatever.

Game Changing
Home region move bonus and/or No march stance. I use both because I loving hate chasing enemy armies around for turn after turn, unable to catch them because they're marching but I can't march and attack them.

etc. There are some good overhaul mods too (e.g. Steel Faith Overhaul) but for a fairly vanilla experience these are some good ones.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

man the campaign is a bit harder than previous total wars isn't it? i went to my old standard of hard and its suffering, there's just too many orcs! i can make one side safe, but then i get attacked on 2 others or a rebellion pops up. dangerous stuff

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The only mod everyone should have installed

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah I use that one too, plus the resized lords/heroes one and some others. There are good cosmetic mods out there. The Empire cosmetics to make each state more distinct is cool, too.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Davincie posted:

man the campaign is a bit harder than previous total wars isn't it? i went to my old standard of hard and its suffering, there's just too many orcs! i can make one side safe, but then i get attacked on 2 others or a rebellion pops up. dangerous stuff

Yeah I've lost settlements and armies more frequently than in the past, it's awesome

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

What mods should I have?

Semi-related. But has anyone figured out which mods are causing issues with Belegar's campaign? I want to make sure I'm not starting a new campaign and then realizing later that I'm not going to get grudge credit for controlling Karak Eight Peaks.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Here's my matches with Vox Nihili: https://www.dropbox.com/s/al61nm4lncpfjeb/Sammut%20v%20VoxNihili.zip?dl=0

Round 1 - Greenskins (Sammut) vs Chaos (Vox)
Round 2 - Chaos (Sammut) vs Dwarves (Vox)
Round 3 - Bretonnia (Vox) vs Vampire Counts (Sammut)
Round 4 - Greenskins (Vox) vs Beastmen (Sammut)

Results - 2 - 2

Well played and good luck in the 396 matches you still have left.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Some thoughts regarding LLs for Wood Elves and Bretonnia

Wood Elves:
Orion almost certainly is one, but I really could see Ariel as being the other at launch. I don't really see Durthu being an initial one due to occupying basically the same type of lord slot as Orion - aka a big, beefy dude who smashes faces in - and Orion is by far more iconic. Doing Orion/Ariel as the first two gives you a good Melee/Magic LL split for the faction, which none of the other options really give you in regards to a Magic lord other than the Dryad option, which as you mentioned has some issues for initial release.

Bretonnia:
Yeah, the Fay Enchantress is almost certainly going to be one, with Louen as another obviously, but I'm fairly dubious on the Green Knight being one. Not sure about 8th, but in previous editions he was a Lord choice that explicitly could not be your general, because he never commanded armies - he just appeared to assist a Bretonnian army, bashed faces in, then disappeared again. Someone earlier mentioned he might end up a summon or add-on of some sort for something in the list, which would make a lot more sense.

Note that only Chaos had 3 LLs at launch, so there's no guarantee you'll get a third for either Wood Elves or Bretonnia initially.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Only way you are getting me to play Elves is if I get to be a large angry tree.

High Elves? I'll gladly play Tyrion. Dark Elves? Sure Malekith.

I ain't playing some loving forest hippy. Gimme a large angry tree.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Well, Orion is the kind of guy who think the Wild Hunt isn't killing enough.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Probably the only mods i'd recommend to someone new is the "Skip intro logo videos", "Better camera" and "Building progression icons" mods, almost everything else is 100% down to personal flavor and preference.

While some will recommend mods to make the game easier and others may recommend mods that makes the game harder. Mods that add extra units, increase skill points, gameplay overhauls etc is something I'd advice to leave out for the first few campaigns you run, the base game unmodded is real good.

And to someone further up that asked about agent spam; CA has nerfed AI agents almost to the ground over the last few patches to the point I'm almost searching for mods to help make the AI utilize agents better again.

As for latest DLC, I'm very lucky that my friend who lives in a city with GW store managed to grab me a code for the Grombrindal DLC(closes GW store to where I live would be a 4 hour drive), and boy is he a fun LL to start with, never had so much fun with the starting units in the game before, his skill tree and unique campaign effect is awesome as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Trujillo posted:

Here's my matches with Vox Nihili: https://www.dropbox.com/s/al61nm4lncpfjeb/Sammut%20v%20VoxNihili.zip?dl=0

Round 1 - Greenskins (Sammut) vs Chaos (Vox)
Round 2 - Chaos (Sammut) vs Dwarves (Vox)
Round 3 - Bretonnia (Vox) vs Vampire Counts (Sammut)
Round 4 - Greenskins (Vox) vs Beastmen (Sammut)

Results - 2 - 2

Well played and good luck in the 396 matches you still have left.

Round 4 was absolutely shameful, half my units were left on walk or got stuck on terrain for the decisive portion of the battle.

• Locked thread