Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

loving goons, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Helldump Immunity posted:

Gonna update bf4 tomorrow and be the rear end in a top hat DMR guy.

SKS supremacy

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
Steam has got a Splinter Cell sale going on, Chaos Theory for $2.50 and the super ultra mega deluxe edition of Conviction for $5.

Thanks to Payday 2 showering me with cosmetic items that I promptly turned into Steam pennies, I didn't really pay a thing :haw:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

VikingSkull posted:

SKS supremacy

MTAR-21 owns bones fyi

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

holocaust bloopers posted:

A while ago, I created thesis on Clan Zorah regarding quarian sweat, etc. I'll post it here with some post-scriptum edits and abridging, it was created over the course of approximately 40 minutes. In several posts.

It started off as an analysis of Tali's sweat, trying to figure out what it'd smell and taste like. I quickly realised that most scents originate from bacteria, which would be minimal to non-existant for quarians.
The next best thing, would be urea. Urea is essential for the metabolism of mammals, and also a bonding agent (For say, p-cresol and o-cresol, two odor chemicals found in sweat. Though these likely aren't available to quarians), and it, and residues of the amino acids and chemicals used in its production are excreted through many different ways. Urine, sweat, etc.
This thesis assumes quarians are anything like mammals back on earth and have a digestive system at least remotely similar to theirs.

---

One of the main components of sweat, urea, is not affected by chirality, it cannot have a mirrored/dextro version:

The scent it is associated with is derrived from residues of ammonia excreted along with it, which is a by-product of the production of urea.

Now, here's the deal, urea requires a ton of amino acids in order to be produced (levo amino acids, obviously), a short summary from Wikipedia:

Hence, this could result in a significantly different smell and composure of both her sweat, and other urea based excretions.

The urea cycle:

You see that "Arg" thing right below Urea on the urea cycle? Yeah, it stands for L-Arginine, you can get the dextro version through a largely similar cycle. It's an extremely mild neuro-toxic, pretty much a relaxing drug, a depressant, though excessive usage would actually result in additional stimulations, a stimulant.

A member of Clan Zorah, Troodon80, claims to have had personal experience with the substance as a depressant, and states that it is, in fact, addictive.

Additionally, the dextro version of "Asp" (stands for L-Aspartate), in order for it to be soluble like it's levo counterpart, it would likely bond with sodium, resulting in Sodium D-Aspartate, which is a natural performance enhancer [2], it massively increases the human body's production of testostorone, also resulting in an increased libido.

Finally, Orn, stands for L-ornithine. This amino acid allows for the disposal of excess nitrogen.
Dextro version of this is largely similar in role, except for the fact that it is far more prone to create a hydrogen bond. (Including with molecules like ammonia, NH3)
Hence, it would demobilize the ammonia and eliminate the odor eminated from the production of urea to quite an extent.

So, so far, we can tell that Tali would not smell nearly as bad as those filthy humans, her sweat's a drug and a natural performance enhancer.

As for additional odors , that would be determined by MHC's and pheromones, which are too large and complex to even consider estimating with the limited knowledge we have at this time. Though the production of MHC's is also a key component of our immunesystem, so they might be considerably less common for quarians. (They might even have something completely different altogether)is time. Though the production of MHC's is also a key component of our immunesystem, so they might be considerably less common for quarians. (They might even have something completely different altogether)
---

Remember, this is largely speculation, and I am by no means an expert, merely an enthusiastic amateur, so if you think there's anything you can change or debunk of my theory, be my guest. I'd be eager to learn.

But if you do agree, here's a question for ya': Licking Tali or licking Thane? >_>

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGX7v0tdvQU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

MTAR-21 owns bones fyi

It does, but it sparks nowheres near the rage

Oh you're at range? You dead

Oh you're in my face? You dead

e- bonus points if you kill the dude at range with just a red dot

e2- it was even better before they nerfed it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:eyepop:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

They got hacked this morning, shame. It would have been amazing to see a dev just give up the ghost on their mistakes like that

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
as a medic in BF4 I find that very hurtful

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Good lord is Titanfall 2 positively wonderful.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Good lord is Titanfall 2 positively wonderful.

Yeah? How the campaign?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Haven't tried it yet. The multiplayer is ridiculous.

Plays like Doom/Tribes/Mech Warrior mash up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Plays like Doom/Tribes/Mech Warrior mash up.

:stwoon:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'll have up my thoughts on titan gender and sexuality here later in the day.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I'll have up my thoughts on titan gender and sexuality here later in the day.

mechs generally have both male and female fittings

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea that's something a cis pilot pig would say.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
This is the year 2016, people. A mech should be able to have as many drive shafts as it wants. :colbert:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I identify as a particle projection cannon

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

I identify as a particle projection cannon

Does that make ER-PPCs like cis-PPC or trans-ppc?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Does that make ER-PPCs like cis-PPC or trans-ppc?

it's clanner nonsense IMO

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

VikingSkull posted:

it's clanner nonsense IMO

Don't Universe Shame.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
does anyone remember the time they televised a Battletech tournament from one of those Battlepod places? I feel like this was a thing that happened

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

does anyone remember the time they televised a Battletech tournament from one of those Battlepod places? I feel like this was a thing that happened

I remember seeing ads for those places when I was a kid and thinking of how TOTALLY RAD it would be to get to go. Never did, though.

Edit: holy poo poo there are still 4 facilities running

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They were indeed totally rad. The dudes that worked there had pilot suits and everything.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

They were indeed totally rad. The dudes that worked there had pilot suits and everything.

:aaaaa:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
lol if your giant robot of choice isn't a Humaniform-Emulation Roboticized Combat Unit with Leg-Articulated Navigation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taqMGYqh2hg

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

the most 90's thing ever

yes, that is indeed Jim Belushi

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Naked Bear posted:

lol if your giant robot of choice isn't a Humaniform-Emulation Roboticized Combat Unit with Leg-Articulated Navigation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taqMGYqh2hg

Oh my god I played so much Cyberstorm 2.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Army contacts all post-separation vets. "So we want you to come back into the military, with all the bullshit that entails."

"But we'll let you drive the Titan suit."

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Redeye Flight posted:

Army contacts all post-separation vets. "So we want you to come back into the military, with all the bullshit that entails."

"But we'll let you drive the Titan suit."

Where there's a will, there's a way. Army would find a way to ruin that too.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Dead Space 1 + 2 on Steam for $8.74 right now. I really shouldn't but hhhhnnnngggggfffff

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

VikingSkull posted:

the most 90's thing ever

yes, that is indeed Jim Belushi

I played at the center that was in San Diego. It owned so much. Also played in Tokyo. There was like zero players so we played against the staff. They royally kicked our rear end after being nice enough to let us think we might have a chance against them.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
T2 is indeed good. Full disclosure this is from a guy who went the TF equivalent of COD 'Master Prestige' on the first one. I'm not completely happy with the new mechanics but it is fannnnntastic as gently caress.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Titanfall 2 is so fast.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Never played TF in comparison to COD is it the same die respawn and immediately jump back into combat? Can't get into BF1 at all because that's too slow for my childish brain. I'm definitely skipping this years COD. Not sure if I'll just stick with BO3 for my FPS fix

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Never played TF in comparison to COD is it the same die respawn and immediately jump back into combat? Can't get into BF1 at all because that's too slow for my childish brain. I'm definitely skipping this years COD. Not sure if I'll just stick with BO3 for my FPS fix

Yea Titanfall 2 is pretty much the giant leap COD made in our normal reality. The new cod's basically swiped from titanfall 1.

It's really good. Titfanfall 2 and BF1 are highly complementary shooters. There's no real reason to get infintie warfare this year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Titanfall 2 is so fast.

Yeah I dunno, I've played a little and it just seems way too fast and kind of unsatisfyingly so. Matches seem to end in 5 minutes with the top guy getting like 8 kills. I was a big fan of BO3 but got kind of burnt out on it after 60 hours.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Buca di Bepis posted:

Yeah I dunno, I've played a little and it just seems way too fast and kind of unsatisfyingly so. Matches seem to end in 5 minutes with the top guy getting like 8 kills. I was a big fan of BO3 but got kind of burnt out on it after 60 hours.

I love that matches are over quickly. It's a nice contrast to BF1 where poo poo can go on for 20+ minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
If we can get a return to fast-paced shooters a la the new DOOM then I would be a very happy man.

• Locked thread