Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Ammo saving + crit chance makes SMGs, ARs and MGs pretty decent. I did the last few story missions' bosses with the infinite ammo SMG just because it's easy to hit them with it while staying reasonably far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The one real complaint I have with the gane is that your devil trigger power is so atrociously ugly that I never want to use it. The bonuses seem useful but there's no way I'm turning my colourful fps into BRIGHT RED : THE GAME every time I want to get a bit of damage resist.

That poo poo needs to be toned waaaay down or made into a weapon aura or something.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Seriously? But it lasts like 20 seconds tops.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spermanent Record posted:

The one real complaint I have with the gane is that your devil trigger power is so atrociously ugly that I never want to use it. The bonuses seem useful but there's no way I'm turning my colourful fps into BRIGHT RED : THE GAME every time I want to get a bit of damage resist.

That poo poo needs to be toned waaaay down or made into a weapon aura or something.

Completely agree. Everybody should have learned from that one Wolfenstein game that giving you a powerup that makes all the game's colors monochrome is a crime against art.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

kuroiXiru posted:

Seriously? But it lasts like 20 seconds tops.

Yeah but it recharges really quickly and the times it's most useful are the times I want to see the cool boss enemies. Save that poo poo for detective mode.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've actually been enjoying how shadow fury removes all the clutter from the screen except for the one thing you need to know when you're using it, which is where to point the minigun.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Fury is very Painkiller-esque.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
So there's a stealth mechanic in the game. I noticed that if I one shot an unaware enemy with something like the bow or spear gun, the other enemies nearby would get confused and wander around instead of running directly at me.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Version 1.1.4.0 just dropped

Balance and gameplay changes:
- Removed gained experience cap (on all difficulties)
- Added a significant bonus for experience gained on difficulties higher than normal
- Slightly decreased large and special enemies' HP on difficulties higher than normal
- Added negative stats cap for high level upgrades
- The number of auras for a single enemy is capped to 1 on difficulties below 'Insane tier 2'
- Base physical resist lowered. This change affects all difficulty levels
- After finishing missions for the second time, instead of Skill Points the player now receives a powerful new currency called 'Orbs of Masamune'. The number of Orbs depends on the difficulty level. A new set of violent challenges will be added to the game soon. Players finishing these challenges will be able to imbue Smith's Anvil with power to greatly improve weapon stats. Orbs of Masamune will play crucial role in this proccess.
- Crafting option is now available always after a player unlocks it in the first playthrough
- Items in shops unlocked by story progress are now available always after a player unlocks them on the first playthrough

UI changes:
- Added descriptions for Insane difficulty tiers

Engine fixes:
- Fixed a crash on startup - mobile AMD GPUs
- Fixed key bindings
- NVIDIA Multi-Res - fixed chromatic aberration
- NVIDIA Multi-Res - fixed particle lights
- Fixed hitching on weapon change
- Fixed NVIDIA Surround crash
- NVIDIA Surround now works in fullscreen window mode
- Fixed photomode UI when NVIDIA Surround or AMD Eyefinity is enabled

Multiplayer fixes:
- Fixed the shop menu not being closed when client is teleported to a boss fight
- Ancestral Ties: Fixed panic room door not being destroyed after cutscene
- Ancestral Ties: Fixed Heika being stuck in one pose after a client joined the game
- Fixed portal visibility before defeating the first boss
- Minimap chest icons will not disappear when the host opens them
- Fixed performance issue for co-op partners

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Did one of the patches add a second reload animation to the gauss rifles or have I just somehow not triggered it even after 12 hours of playing? I'm pretty sure I've never seen the second animation until today and now I'm seeing it constantly.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm impressed with the support they're giving to the game. I hope this expands into free content and also paid DLC, which I would buy in a heartbeat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kikkelivelho posted:

Did one of the patches add a second reload animation to the gauss rifles or have I just somehow not triggered it even after 12 hours of playing? I'm pretty sure I've never seen the second animation until today and now I'm seeing it constantly.

The one before this one did, yes. It also changed the firing animation to not send the camera all over the goddamn place (thank you for that by the way devs).

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I'm crafting level 100+ items in new game + on insanity 2 or something and enemies drop level 40-50 upgrades :(

Found some non-moving enemies too, is there a /debug command or something to give devs info?

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

SKill points are popping way more often now on insanity if you can keep from dying which is great. Liking this patch so far!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Really glad I got this game, and I feel like it's a significant overall improvement over the 2013 original. That being said, I'm one of those people who always tries to get into the lore and story and about 40% of the way into Shadow Warrior 2, I just started skipping cutscenes. The story is complete, semi-incoherent garbage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Really glad I got this game, and I feel like it's a significant overall improvement over the 2013 original. That being said, I'm one of those people who always tries to get into the lore and story and about 40% of the way into Shadow Warrior 2, I just started skipping cutscenes. The story is complete, semi-incoherent garbage.

Yeah it really is. Every now and then I'll watch a cutscene and maybe laugh at a joke, but there's several that are just dry and dumb.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Just hit a bug on the last Heisenberg mission where it seems like a bunch of enemies (including the twins) attempted to spawn in all at once and broke everything. Frame rate dropped to 10 and under even when teleported back to Dragon Mountain. Uploading a video of it now. Returning to main menu and loading back in fixed it, but then all of the enemies successfully spawned in all at the same time, which was a horrible messy fight.

Magnus Condomus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 27, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What even was that experience gained cap? Limited the amount you could get per enemy, per mission, ?

Changes all look really good.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Digirat posted:

What even was that experience gained cap? Limited the amount you could get per enemy, per mission, ?

Changes all look really good.

If you were above a certain level, enemies started giving less XP before they removed it and instead made it so harder difficulty levels gave you more XP per kill.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Magnus Condomus posted:

Just hit a bug on the last Heisenberg mission where it seems like a bunch of enemies (including the twins) attempted to spawn in all at once and broke everything. Frame rate dropped to 10 and under even when teleported back to Dragon Mountain. Uploading a video of it now. Returning to main menu and loading back in fixed it, but then all of the enemies successfully spawned in all at the same time, which was a horrible messy fight.
Here's the video of that bug. Has anyone else run into something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIyHFbhxTBs

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
getting lots of crashes to desktop with this new patch. 3 within an hour.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ponzicar posted:

So there's a stealth mechanic in the game. I noticed that if I one shot an unaware enemy with something like the bow or spear gun, the other enemies nearby would get confused and wander around instead of running directly at me.
I had that happen with a revolver at one point, somehow.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Digirat posted:

I've actually been enjoying how shadow fury removes all the clutter from the screen except for the one thing you need to know when you're using it, which is where to point the minigun.

It should actually make the dead enemies become black and not stay white tho.
Other than that Shadow Fury is pretty metal and I like it.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Magnus Condomus posted:

Here's the video of that bug. Has anyone else run into something like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIyHFbhxTBs

Sometimes when I'd enter combat, FPS would drop to around 0.25-1. At that point I'd hit escape (which would take a couple seconds to bring up the menu) then wait it out. FPS would eventually return to 60 in a couple seconds, then I could play normally.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I get massive drops in FPS (sub 1 fps type) rarely when stuff get gibbed, I'm 99% sure it's due to a physics computation overload when pieces explode too quickly and then clip into geometry and start going bonkers. It clears up immediately once the body parts despawn.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I also have had that happen once, it's the only time that the game has ever dipped below 60 for me. It seemed like it happened because I hit the enemy with a bunch of explosives at once and the game didn't quite know what to do maybe?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Multiplayer definitely hurts performance a lot, game is still optimized ridiculously well graphically but something about being in multiplayer with just one other player hits my frame rate hard in some areas, while it's 60 FPS almost all the time solo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

None of the story/quest related poo poo in this game makes any sense.

Just about every dialogue ends extremely abruptly, missing a solid paragraph of followup that should be there.

After dragon mountain gets hosed up by zilla and kamiko's body runs away, as soon as you go back there it's completely fine as if nothing happened. Nobody there has anything to say about what just happened.

After you talk to the photo guy and he runs away, clearly leaving you with nothing from that quest, wang and the muscle demon act like you brought back photos from him. What?

When the muscle demon attacks you, he completely disappears the moment the cutscene is over and you just kill some other demons instead.

Then you go and just push some buttons to turn off the towers, which makes wang and kamiko repeatedly reference what you did as "blowing up" the towers. You didn't blow them up! They're still right there!!

Mamushi heika starts talking about DYING FOR HER IDEALS BUT YOU DON'T HAVE IDEALS DO YOU WANG as she's killing herself. What are her ideals then? What is she even talking about here?

Now those 2 random-rear end women from the second level are just sitting on the couch in the wang cave and I can't talk to them. What?

I was only in it for the action but drat, even with no story/writing-related expectations going in I cannot find a shred of coherence here.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

So what do these Orbs of Masamune do? I understand they're meant to upgrade the forge somehow but I can't see any prompt for that.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Thesaurasaurus posted:

So what do these Orbs of Masamune do? I understand they're meant to upgrade the forge somehow but I can't see any prompt for that.

The thing that we'd spend them on isn't live just yet. They just made the orbs live so people could accumulate them while playing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Where do you even find Orbs? I've got a ton of time in the game and I explore pretty much every level, but it currently looks like I've got zero of them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Where do you even find Orbs? I've got a ton of time in the game and I explore pretty much every level, but it currently looks like I've got zero of them.

They're for NG+

quote:

- After finishing missions for the second time, instead of Skill Points the player now receives a powerful new currency called 'Orbs of Masamune'. The number of Orbs depends on the difficulty level. A new set of violent challenges will be added to the game soon. Players finishing these challenges will be able to imbue Smith's Anvil with power to greatly improve weapon stats. Orbs of Masamune will play crucial role in this proccess.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 29, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

LMGs/SMGs/assault rifles seem to be balanced around some magical ideal represented by their DPS, where they're perfectly accurate and nothing ever moves. In actuality they perform far worse than almost anything else because they're really inaccurate and enemies dodge around constantly, or knock you around. The bullet reflection some enemies do also punishes those weapon types and basically nothing else. As it is, virtually the only thing they have going for them is the fact that they can at least do mediocre damage at ranges where most of the burst damage weapons become impractical, and they can clean up weak junk like stingers and ratverines quickly. Which is also true of basically every other weapon in the game--those enemies are a non-issue.

Even when they do actually get to perform at their max DPS, that DPS is only on par with everything else, if not worse. Their value is always less than or equal to that of other weapons.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 30, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Raven is good.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A Zweihander with 47% ammo save and some extra fire rate rules and clears out trash enemies in no time without having to worry about ammo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Flying Wild Hog's releasing a "Special Reserve Collector's Edition" of Shadow Warrior 2 that comes with Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, Shadow Warrior 2013, an art book for SW2, and the gold stuff for SW2 I think. Check out the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O02RVoKI3g

High praise indeed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Knowing Devolver, they made that trailer very specifically to deliver that burn on Polygon, and I am ok with that.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Zereth posted:

They were working for Zilla the last time they were seen before that in SW2, then suddenly they show up in the Wang Cave claiming to be working for Mezu. It really feels like there was a transition somewhere in there that's missing.

From a while back, and I may be reading too much into it, but in the second part of their sidequest the twins mention that the lab you're using to cook demon-meth was shut down after Wang rescued Kamiko.

The lab, in which they were last seen not only utterly failing to prevent Wang from rescuing Kamiko, but actively left her side to give chase to Wang, missed him altogether, and actually managed to lock themselves out so that they could do nothing but watch while Wang carried her out of the operating room that they were supposed to be guarding.

I'm thinking Mezu scraped them out of the bargain bin, then quickly came to understand why they'd been fired.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Knowing Devolver, they made that trailer very specifically to deliver that burn on Polygon, and I am ok with that.

I agree. More even after their awesome DO4M gameplay video by someone who never played a videogame yet works for them.

Not the original video but with fitting music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Thesaurasaurus posted:

From a while back, and I may be reading too much into it, but in the second part of their sidequest the twins mention that the lab you're using to cook demon-meth was shut down after Wang rescued Kamiko.

The lab, in which they were last seen not only utterly failing to prevent Wang from rescuing Kamiko, but actively left her side to give chase to Wang, missed him altogether, and actually managed to lock themselves out so that they could do nothing but watch while Wang carried her out of the operating room that they were supposed to be guarding.

I'm thinking Mezu scraped them out of the bargain bin, then quickly came to understand why they'd been fired.
You can make a logical connection between the events which is consistent with the events actually in the game, but the game doesn't actually explain anything about how they went form workign for Zilla to chilling on Wang's couch.

• Locked thread