Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Genocyber posted:

DS1 has very little actual branching; level progression is very strictly gated by weapon upgrades. At the beginning your only real option is Undead Burg. the Valley and Catacombs are not doable with an un-upgraded weapon, and even if you make it through the Catacombs you've made little in the way of progress since you need to trek through most of the area again after you've gotten the Lordvessel. Similarly if you enter the forest or Blighttown from the valley you're also not going to be able to do those areas. I'm not going to go over the rest of your connections in detail but essentially you have to follow the critical path of Undead Burg (only viable first level from the start), Undead Parish (to get your weapon to +5), the Depths (for large ember), Blighttown (second bell), Sen's Fortress, Anor Londo, and that after you get the Lordvessel it opens up. The only real side paths you have up to that point are Darkroot Forest/Basin and which entrance to Blighttown you want to take.

Connections do not matter if by the normal progression you cannot feasibly do those areas. You either need to get the Gravelord Greatsword which utterly breaks the weapon upgrade curve, or run past the enemies in which case you're not really doing those levels. Compare that to Demon's where you have 5 viable paths after you do the 1-1 tutorial, or DS2 where you have three paths from the start, two of which unlock two more paths total, and they're all viable pretty much to the end, regardless of what level your weapon is. Though it does become quite linear once you reach Drangleic Castle.

That is not true pinwheel and the catacombs were perfectly doable but, more difficult with a base weapon. For example you can get the zweihander in the graveyard before the catacombs which makes the majority of the enemies trivial. Most of that is not true especially since backstabbing is so much easier and pyromancy is easily accessible. I dont expect people to branch into oolacile and down manus at sl 30 but, you're not giving credit where its due. The other branches are do able but, like you noted harder, however not ridiculously so, than the path through the burg->parish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The optimal route to the Catacombs is to kill the Moonlight Butterfly to unlock the Divine Ember, unless you like playing daredevil with the Necromancers.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Nuebot posted:

Similarly, my issue with the dark souls style of branching is, does it count if you can't follow the path to the end? If you go from firelink to catacombs you can't finish that path until you get the lord vessel. So you kill pinwheel, explore the tomb of giants and realize you can't do poo poo and go home. Try new londo, get hosed by ghosts, drop down a hole and die. Burg > forest > Sif > New Londo > Kings, Burg > Gargoyles and Burg > Lower Burg > Depths > Blight Town are pretty much the only paths you can actually finish early on.

But the point is that DS1 doesn't have paths. It's a web. You don't do Catacombs early to get to Nito, you do it to get Fire upgrade/Great Scythe/Kindling. My sorcerer hit up Blighttown and Darkroot early to get mats for an Enchanted sword.

It would be cooler without the Lordvessel gates, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

last time I started a dark souls run, I tried to go for the early great scythe since I'd never used it and the catacombs really kicked my rear end at that level. :saddowns: I didn't know exactly where I was going tho, probably shoulda watched a video

Learning the path to kill nito, grab the zweihander and great scythe, and upgrade your favorite one to +0 fire within 15 minutes of starting the game is like a rite of passage

e: gently caress I meant Pinwheel, not Nito

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 29, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Valorheart is a bad shield, but a sword with shield blocking frames is great because you just win the trade and dont eat more than one hit with your lovely stability

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

ow.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

cheetah7071 posted:

Learnign the path to kill nito, grab the zweihander and great scythe, and upgrade your favorite one to +0 fire within 15 minutes of starting the game is like a rite of passage

Getting the Gravelord Sword and enough materials to upgrade it to +3 and then use it (and the other covenant tools) at SL 15 or 16 was a great experience.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ah I remember the Gravelord Covenant. Its cool that they implemented a functioning version of it in the later games instead of just dropping that idea completely.

:negative:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm pretty impressed with the dlc selection of weapons, really looking at it. Unique and flashy, some build option gaps covered, adding long range l2 to pressure casters. Adding weapons with unique dual wield properties.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
id argue ng+ in dark souls 2 was basically the gravelord covenant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Learning the path to kill nito, grab the zweihander and great scythe, and upgrade your favorite one to +0 fire within 15 minutes of starting the game is like a rite of passage

e: gently caress I meant Pinwheel, not Nito

I've done early zwei plenty but I never tried dex in the first dark souls until then so I didn't even know where to look. I got lost and chased by skeletons a lot

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

good head gear. forked sack mask is the best way to let people know you're not that serious after all

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
That friede fight was great. More phases equals better, so this is not at all a sign that from were running out of ideas.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I'm back to playing after a really long hiatus, and I have to say, Hidden Body + Untrue White Ring is the most fun I've ever had in pvp.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nuebot posted:

Similarly, my issue with the dark souls style of branching is, does it count if you can't follow the path to the end? If you go from firelink to catacombs you can't finish that path until you get the lord vessel. So you kill pinwheel, explore the tomb of giants and realize you can't do poo poo and go home. Try new londo, get hosed by ghosts, drop down a hole and die. Burg > forest > Sif > New Londo > Kings, Burg > Gargoyles and Burg > Lower Burg > Depths > Blight Town are pretty much the only paths you can actually finish early on.

It is not the destination of the path that is important, but rather the ph@t l00t you pick up along the way.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MarshyMcFly posted:

I do 40/40 in dex/luck and +10 for 2 hollow weapons.

What weapons are you using?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Very cool stuff posted about branching paths and possible first bosses and stuff! I just want to clarify one thing; when I said I wanted DS3 to have more branching I didn't necessarily mean "more paths of legitimate progression".

To compare it to DS1, you can immediately head towards the Catacombs and then Tomb of the Giants but... you're painfully underleveled and you're not going to be able to kill anything. It can hardly be called a "proper" progression path because you won't get anywhere (need Lordvessel) but the exciting thing is that you can run down there and dodge all the scary skelemans and pick up items that you otherwise wouldn't get until much later in the game! That's the thing I want branching for the most.

Dark Souls as a series has an enormous emphasis on weapon movesets and fashion so it really sucks when you get cool weapons 3/4 into the game. DS3 is particularly bad about this, literally all the cool stuff is gated behind most of the game. Let's say I wanted to do a playthrough with Gotthard's Twinswords.. it would be a R1 spam straight sword playthrough like every other DS3 playthrough for 3/4 of the game, and then I'd do the last couple of bosses with the Twinswords :geno: Hardly a "Twinswords" run. My choices in DS3 seem to be 1) Cheat Engine or 2) make a NG+ character every time I want to do a silly gimmick playthrough.

e: of course, this doesn't mean that I wouldn't also want proper branching. Running through the same path every time on every playthrough gets stale too, so that would be great. I just want "more weapons accessible from the beginning of the game" the most.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 30, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Dark Souls as a series has an enormous emphasis on weapon movesets and fashion so it really sucks when you get cool weapons 3/4 into the game. DS3 is particularly bad about this, literally all the cool stuff is gated behind most of the game. Let's say I wanted to do a playthrough with Gotthard's Twinswords.. it would be a R1 spam straight sword playthrough like every other DS3 playthrough for 3/4 of the game, and then I'd do the last couple of bosses with the Twinswords :geno: Hardly a "Twinswords" run. My choices in DS3 seem to be 1) Cheat Engine or 2) make a NG+ character every time I want to do a silly gimmick playthrough.

I mean it's not hard to CE stuff in. And if you got a buddy you can pass late game weapons down to a new character if you're on console. Better than BB where neither of those options is available.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Genocyber posted:

if you got a buddy you can pass late game weapons down to a new character if you're on console. Better than BB where neither of those options is available.

yeah lol if you dont have hilarious lategame weapons and rings and poo poo on every new char passed from your ng++++s etc. level 20 dual wield avelyns explosive bolts etc

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

I mean it's not hard to CE stuff in. And if you got a buddy you can pass late game weapons down to a new character if you're on console. Better than BB where neither of those options is available.

Of course, just like I mentioned in my post.

It just feels dirty to use CE and I'd much rather have the option not to :shobon:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Of course, just like I mentioned in my post.

It just feels dirty to use CE and I'd much rather have the option not to :shobon:

Then pass it from a high level character through a friend

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Stormgale posted:

What weapons are you using?

I'm using a +10 hollow followers saber ATM.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

Setting up a trade between characters can be a pain though. Especially if the online doesn't cooperate and you can't see each others signs for reasons you can't possibly understand.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Setting up a trade between characters can be a pain though. Especially if the online doesn't cooperate and you can't see each others signs for reasons you can't possibly understand.

And if I had friends I wouldn't have spent hundreds of hours playing Dark Souls :c00lbutt:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Can't you get into the dlc super early? Like as soon as you get to the cleansing chamber? Or does something activate it?
Most of the neato run defining weapons would be there

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Can't you get into the dlc super early? Like as soon as you get to the cleansing chamber? Or does something activate it?

You just need to reach the Cleansing Chapel bonfire. No item needed to enter the DLC, just talk to old man chaps.

Its pretty nice that almost all the weapons are on the ground and can be suicide run too. Aside from bosses, Vilhelm is the most difficult enemy you have to confront.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 30, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You can get there super early (aka. before fighting any Lords of Cinder), and both the crow weapons, the throwing spear and the battle axe are just lying on the ground for you to pick up. If you cheese Sir Vilhelm you can also get the Onyx Blade, Follower Torch, Earth Seeker and Stone-on-a-Stick by just picking them up (as well as Vilhelm's set)

You obviously can't get Valorheart or Friede's weapons unfortunately (unless you're a Dark Souls god I suppose). It's pretty great and does allow for a bunch of fun gimmick runs (I'm currently doing both Onyx Blade and Crow Talons) :3:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

valorheart is probably doable without being that great since the champ is a sad excuse for a fight. the wolf is what you gotta worry about, but at least he doesn't have 3 phases

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

valorheart is probably doable without being that great since the champ is a sad excuse for a fight. the wolf is what you gotta worry about, but at least he doesn't have 3 phases

I tried the bosses on my level 30 character that I rushed there and figured it wasn't worth it :v:

I really want to try a whole run with the incredibly cool scythes, but I think I'd have to CE that because there's no way I'm beating a 3 phase fight early.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If you could have Miyazaki work with some other designer and combine philosophies, who would it be? I'd choose the guy behind Silent Hill 2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

The wolf seems like it might actually be hard for a low level character since its so drat fast. Only being able to hit it a few times with a weak weapon will result in a really long fight.

oldpainless posted:

If you could have Miyazaki work with some other designer and combine philosophies, who would it be? I'd choose the guy behind Silent Hill 2.

Someone that understands how to make functional online.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Eiji Aonuma. Let's have some Zelda Souls :getin:

Dark Souls 2 had some Zelda puzzles in the DLC, I loved it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I tried to rush the watchdogs and I was 28 when I got the covenant. Jesus are people really in the swamp at 20?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Your Computer posted:

Very cool stuff posted about branching paths and possible first bosses and stuff! I just want to clarify one thing; when I said I wanted DS3 to have more branching I didn't necessarily mean "more paths of legitimate progression".

To compare it to DS1, you can immediately head towards the Catacombs and then Tomb of the Giants but... you're painfully underleveled and you're not going to be able to kill anything. It can hardly be called a "proper" progression path because you won't get anywhere (need Lordvessel) but the exciting thing is that you can run down there and dodge all the scary skelemans and pick up items that you otherwise wouldn't get until much later in the game! That's the thing I want branching for the most.

e: of course, this doesn't mean that I wouldn't also want proper branching. Running through the same path every time on every playthrough gets stale too, so that would be great. I just want "more weapons accessible from the beginning of the game" the most.

That specific weapon, sure. But that's like complaining you can't get the dragon slayer's spear unless you get halfway through the game because you have to kill ornstein for his soul and you can't do that without ringing the bells. You can still, fairly easily, get to lotheric castle, ocieros and the untended graves without killing a single lord as long as you know how to fight the dancer. You can get anywhere else except the archives just by killing the abyss watchers and deacons of the deep.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

That specific weapon, sure. But that's like complaining you can't get the dragon slayer's spear unless you get halfway through the game because you have to kill ornstein for his soul and you can't do that without ringing the bells.

It was just an example, my point is that there's a lot of cool poo poo locked behind a very linear progression. Your example doesn't make sense at all, because I'm not talking about Boss Weapons and in DS1 you could get a lot of cool poo poo early by corpserunning higher level areas :confused:

In DS3 you can only get access to the Castle early (with very little in it because stuff like the Archives requires you to kill the Lords of Cinder) but only if you defeat a late game boss. It takes more than "knowing how to fight the Dancer" to defeat her at that level, and it's in no way comparable to how you could access a bunch of places in DS1/2 and loot poo poo while running for your life.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

You can get anywhere else except the archives just by killing the abyss watchers and deacons of the deep.
That is bullshit though. To get to the deacons you have to go through another boss and an entire zone and you need to beat Wolnir (or however you spell the giant skeleton) before you have a choice of zones again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hunt11 posted:

That is bullshit though. To get to the deacons you have to go through another boss and an entire zone and you need to beat Wolnir (or however you spell the giant skeleton) before you have a choice of zones again.

Wolnir and Crystal Sage are also the easiest bosses in the game. :shrug: You can also take a diversion to smoldering lake before going to wolnir.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The thing that bugs me about Grand Archives being locked is there really isn't any reason for it. Why cut that path short and limit what the player can do when they are already doing a skip that disrupts the natural flow of the game in the first place?

Also the easiest boss is always gonna be Deacons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I think I just finished up the DLC, I didn't know about Champion's Gravetender so I went back to him after Friede, I don't think there is anything left to do in the Painted World after that?

Really dug Friede, afterwards I spoke to the little girl at the top of the Cathedral and I'm guessing that's the set-up for the next DLC? Unless there was some last thing I was meant to do to finish things up with them? From what was said, I assumed this is leading somewhere but the DLC seemed to be pretty solidly over at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

The thing that bugs me about Grand Archives being locked is there really isn't any reason for it. Why cut that path short and limit what the player can do when they are already doing a skip that disrupts the natural flow of the game in the first place?

Yeah, it's super weird to put in a way to fight the Dancer early and then.... lock the stuff behind her for no apparent reason?

A lot of the cool/interesting/gimmicky weapons and armor in this game is either in/past Irithyll or the Archives which means you can't loot them before you're far into the game. If they at least left the archive open you could get neat stuff like the Witch's Locks (and do a run with it) before the penultimate boss :sigh:

Jerusalem posted:

Really dug Friede, afterwards I spoke to the little girl at the top of the Cathedral and I'm guessing that's the set-up for the next DLC?

If you mean the part about the Dark Soul then I'm hoping that's the setup for the next DLC.

Dark Souls III: Uncle Gael's Wacky Adventures

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 30, 2016