Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was already a hero named Black Condor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, he was the one raised from infancy by wills carrion birds in Mongolia who then returned to America where he impersonated a senator who was coincidentally his exact double or something like that, wasn't he?

Good thing those birds taught him how to read and write.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

WickedHate posted:

Hey, I didn't know that, neato.

It hasn't been explicitly stated in the book, but at one point he's like, changing into his costume in an alley and he's wearing what looks like a binder but could conceivably have been just a weird tank top. But then someone asked Erica Henderson and she confirmed it was a binder and KB was trans.

Way back when USG started someone asked Ryan North if USG was trans herself and he said no but there is a trans char in the book, so it's been planned since the beginning.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I read brightest day while that was going on, and I enjoyed Deadman quite a bit in that. but haven't kept up with DC much since. Is he currently kicking around in any books? Anything pre Brightest day worth checking out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Deadman's arc was the only good part of Brightest Day. Especially the issue with his granddad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I read brightest day while that was going on, and I enjoyed Deadman quite a bit in that. but haven't kept up with DC much since. Is he currently kicking around in any books? Anything pre Brightest day worth checking out?

there is this weird romance/ghost story with deadman that is coming out as a mini. The art is gorgeous, but I do not know if anyone here read it. The book is a bit pricey since it is prestige format.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Space Fish posted:

Lobo getting into the JLA set off some Poison Ivy fans I guess

Nevermind that the trade for Ivy's solo miniseries just came out as well as a collection of Ivy's older stories, plus she had a role in Justice League United and Harley's series - we demand DC give us what we want, again, right NOW!

(Disclaimer: I'm all for more Ivy in all iterations, I just find it odd that her fanclub considers the JLA roster such a slight.)
I mean the problem is that if Ivy was on the team, she would basically be in the same position as Killer Frost. You don't want a team book where two characters fill the same role, because it could lead to one of them overshadowing the other.

And fact is... yeah Ivy just doesn't have the same selling ability as Harley. People love Harley and Ivy together, as a duo, but Ivy alone doesn't get people excited. I wouldn't call her obscure, she's definitely among the most recognizable Batman villains, but DC has kind of kept her in that same niche of being Harley's straight-man since the BTAS days. Like how Mr. Freeze isn't allowed to move past his origin story, Ivy can't escape Harley's shadow ever since she was put there by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini.

poo poo not even loving Catwoman has the same selling ability anymore in comparison to Harley, and that's a major deal - it's very noticeable that she was one of the only Batman characters to have a new52 title that didn't get a Rebirth relaunch. The only characters Harley can't overshadow are Batman and Joker, though the latter is debatable at this point since there's clearly a good amount of fatigue over Joker stories. If DC isn't doing a Catwoman ongoing, the likelihood of another Ivy one anytime soon is very slim.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Since when is Poison Ivy a lesbian? Is that some new 52 thing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alucard Nacirema posted:

OH MY GOD

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Oh here we fuckin' go :allears:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Alucard Nacirema posted:

You're a baiting homophobic racist idiot and your transparent attempts to stir poo poo fool nobody.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
I honestly didn't know that but I'll be honest you guys freaking out gave me a hearty chuckle.

#notahomophobe

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

You're a baiting homophobic racist idiot and your transparent attempts to stir poo poo fool nobody.

SHUT

UP.

this is going to be AMAZING

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Nah, she just has friendly naked wrestling sessions with Harley. Because they're such good friends.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

wait i don't care

That vigilante comic wasn't great

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mr Hootington posted:

wait i don't care

That vigilante comic wasn't great

I feel like I'm not even sure what actually happened in it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm way backlogged after about a month of buying around 20 comics each week, but I just read Teen Titans #1 on the shitter and it was great!
That was after hating the Rebirth issue too. If anyone else quit on it, give #1 a go.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Nah, she just has friendly naked wrestling sessions with Harley. Because they're such good friends.

Actually that's what all women do whenever men aren't around.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Amazing how strong the friendships between women are.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm way backlogged after about a month of buying around 20 comics each week, but I just read Teen Titans #1 on the shitter and it was great!
That was after hating the Rebirth issue too. If anyone else quit on it, give #1 a go.

I agree. It was a pleasant surprise.

Hellblazer was boring again. I'm dropping it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
DC will be holding prices at $2.99 and maintaining bi-monthly releases through 2017 with the exception of one to four titles

Page I linked is kinda broken atm.

edit: looks fixed now.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 30, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

My poor wallet.

I'm going to guess that the most likely comics to go back to monthly before then will be Cyborg and Deathstroke.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
American Dracula would you care to make any sort of comment on the lengthy response I gave to your THE RAY AIN'T NO QUEER, STUPID FOCUS GROUP MEDIA CONTROLLING OUR COMICS post, or are you pretending that never happened?

Also I submit to you a young poster from our early days, Delta_Assault. Here are some chat logs:

code:
<Delta_Burke> Hehe, that kinda reminds me, on campus today I saw a bbunch of shirts with "Stop Violence Against Women" on em
<Delta_Burke> Honestly, what about the "Stop Violence Against Men" shirts?

<Delta_Burke> Ya know, it'd be cool if one of these days, a female comic book writer actually resembled one of the superheroines they write about.

<Delta_Burke> Knockout's a lesbian?! WTF?!
<Delta_Burke> I just read VU 6
<Delta_Burke> WTF?!
<RhynOMAC> all Female Furries are lesbians
<Boo-yah> did you
<Delta_Burke> But she seemed hetero in Superboy.
<Delta_Burke> I don't get this.
<Criowl> OH NO NOT A CONTINUITY ERROR INVOLVING "KNOCKOUT"!!!!!!
<Criowl> who or what is a knockout
<Delta_Burke> It's just kinda out of left field.
<Y> who or what is a dyke
<Criowl> bwahaha
<Delta_Burke> Knockout's a Female Fury.
<Y> earth 2 crion
<RhynOMAC> a crappy Kirbyesque character from Superboy
<Delta_Burke> I don't understand why she's a lesbian all of a sudden.
<Delta_Burke> It totally threw me.
<Criowl> yeah i think that was the point
<Delta_Burke> I mean... Knockout and Scandal? WTF?!
<Delta_Burke> I mean, I could accept Earth-2 Superman.
<Delta_Burke> But Knockout turning lesbian is weird.
<Criowl> delta you seem pretty shook up about this
<Delta_Burke> It just... doesn't make much sense.
<Delta_Burke> But cmon... why all the lesbians showing up these days?
<Delta_Burke> First Renee Montoya, now Knockout?
<EdgeandCryptian> yes two lesbians in just under 1000 issues of DCU stuff put out over the past few years
<EdgeandCryptian> it's overwhelming!
<Delta_Burke> I just think it's really bizarre.
<Delta_Burke> Knockout never showed any lesbian tendencies before this.
<Delta_Burke> Consider my feathers ruffled.
<Delta_Burke> Wow... Knockout is gay. What a world.
<Delta_Burke> I wonder where they're going with this lesbian thing. I don't know if I could stand to see Superboy find out he was being manipulated by a dyke.
<Delta_Burke> It's just so... gosh.
<Delta_Burke> Sorry, it just took me by surprise.

<Delta_Burke> Who writes VU? Gail Simone right?
<GameQuoter> Yes
<Delta_Burke> Is Gail Simone a lesbian?
<Criowl> delta: newsflash, not all people who write characters that are gay are themselves gay
<Delta_Burke> That's true Criowl
<EdgeandCryptian> Simone is married to a dude
<EdgeandCryptian> on the other hand, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Brian K Vaughan, Peter Milligan, Scott Lobdell, Peter David, they're all totally homos
<EdgeandCryptian> that's why THEY introduced gay characters in their comics
<Delta_Burke> I'm just trying to figure out how she came up with this peculiar characterization.
<Delta_Burke> No, I don't have a problem with gay characters. It's just that this particular character has always been portrayed as straight.
<EdgeandCryptian> wait Millar is gay too
<Delta_Burke> Hey, I'm shaken up right now.
<EdgeandCryptian> Neil Gaiman is a lesbian
<Delta_Burke> Wonder Woman's not a lesbian.
<Delta_Burke> Dude, he never banged Knockout
<Delta_Burke> And now, he probably never will.

<Delta_Burke> My favorite comic book character is Knockout.
<looksharp> i heard they dyked her up in villains united though has this been discussed
<hoboscratch> not at all!
<Delta_Burke> Yes.
<Delta_Burke> We went over it.
<Delta_Burke> It's a crying shame, is what it is.
<Delta_Burke> Is Gail Simone's email address available online?

<Delta_Burke> I don't think Kirby ever hinted at lesbianism in Granny Goodness's base
<Delta_Burke> And yes, sometimes gay people scare me. But I live in San Francisco, so that's so unusual.

<Delta_Burke> Not all Black people are perfect, ya know.
<Delta_Burke> Denzel Washington is black
<Delta_Burke> Denzel Washington is black
<Delta_Burke> Denzel Washington would make a good Black Panther.

<Delta_Burke> Not really. IC is supposed to be a sequel to COIE
<Delta_Burke> So far, everything has been really cool.
<Delta_Burke> Except for that Knockout thing.

<Delta_Burke> Knockout's not supposed to be a lesbian.
<Delta_Burke> Injustice isn't the word for it. It's just incorrect.
<Boo-yah> delta how much time should we devote to this particular discussion of knockout's sexuality?
<Delta_Burke> Dude, it's like if Lois Lane suddenly turned gay. Would that be cool? NO
<Delta_Burke> It's not right to change people's sexuality.

<Crandle> should I repost my Luthor/Luthor fanfiction idea from last night I think I should
<Crandle> Crandle: and then Versace Lex says to Battlesuit Lex: "I've always a weakness for...myself...."
<Crandle> Crandle: and Battlesuit Lex says "Which universe do you come from, stud...Earth-Top or Earth-Bottom?"
<Crandle> Crandle: and Versace Lex says "IM VERSATILE"
<Crandle> Crandle: and then they gently caress for like 20 pages
<Delta_Burke> Lex Luthor isn't gay.

<Delta_Burke> I think most girls are Jean Loring crazy. It's just that real girls don't usually have access to white dwarf suits.

<Delta_Burke> I do think women turning lesbian is kinda bad.
<Crion> [23:30] <Delta_Burke> I do think women turning lesbian is kinda bad. -- oh jesus not this again, i'm going to go do something else for an hour
<Delta_Burke> Don't worry, I'm not gonna go there.

<Delta_Burke> White people have done many good things. But White Power itself has sort of a negative connotation.

<Danonino> Wonder Girl GETS RAPED
<Delta_Assault> By Wonder Woman?
<Delta_Assault> it would have to be rape, cause she's not a freakin dyke.

<Delta_Assault> I like habib. He too noticed that Knockout wasn't lesbian.
So my follow-up question now that we've established that you are not the classic wizardworld blogger American Dracula. Are you Delta Assault?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 30, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well that was quite the read

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"Earth-Top and Earth-Bottom" deserves to be rescued from that particular crypt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pretty awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Look I'd be fine with it if they made Golden Age Superman gay but I'm drawing the line at Knockout.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I must complain to Gail Simone. It is my nature.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was really hoping that DC was going to cut the double shipping at the end of the year. I'll probably cut back to only four double shipping books if that's the case. I'm getting tired of it and very few of the books I'm reading are making double shipping worth it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I was really hoping that DC was going to cut the double shipping at the end of the year. I'll probably cut back to only four double shipping books if that's the case. I'm getting tired of it and very few of the books I'm reading are making double shipping worth it.

They heavily hinted to retailers that the double shipping would last at least until the books hit #25.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dbl shipping rules. Gimme Superman as fast as you can make it, please.

I don't think there's anything I'm reading that I wouldn't want coming out quicker than monthly.
It'd lead me to quitting more stuff cause I read too much already and couldn't keep up, but a month is pushing it for my stupid memory.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 30, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Technically I'm pretty sure Ivy is bisexual, or pansexual if only because that's closer to "plantsexual".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Unless any of the current double shipping books change creative teams, I will be sticking with the 5 I buy. They really do hurt my ability to buy other niche books that dc puts out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Dbl shipping rules. Gimme Superman as fast as you can make it, please.

I don't think there's anything I'm reading that I wouldn't want coming out quicker than monthly.
It'd lead me to quitting more stuff cause I read too much already and couldn't keep up, but a month is pushing it for my stupid memory.

Justice League and Green Lanterns need to go to single monthly shipping. Everything else can stay the same.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, JL needs a writer who's comic you'd want to read twice a month.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Justice League and Green Lanterns need to go to single monthly shipping. Everything else can stay the same.

Not Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps! That books needs to stay double shipped.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'll stick with Superman, Green Arrow, Detective Comics, and Action Comics. I'll probably drop Flash, Nightwing, and Batman. Honestly I'd be close to dropping those three if they were monthly anyway as they're not doing much for me. I've already gone to just getting t the evens of Wonder Woman. The only other books I'll probably stick with are Supergirl, Superwoman, and Trinity but they're all monthly.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like the double shipping because I'm impatient as poo poo, but also hate it because it limits the amount of different comics I can buy, and I don't want to drop any of them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Not Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps! That books needs to stay double shipped.

I was very clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I'm happy for double shipped books. As someone who hates waiting for stuff and enjoy's his weekly Manga updates Bi-Weekly comics are a pointed Good Thing.

And it gives me less time to fall out of interest and gravitate to something else.