Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

seaborgium posted:

I was going to try and get into this because of a current LP, and I must be messing up the mods somehow. I just wanted to add perkeverylevel, do I need an organizer of some sort?

If you're just adding one mod, no. Inside the perkeverlevel file, there should be a .esp file. Drop that in your "Fallout New Vegas/Data" folder, the one with the FalloutNV.esm and Mesh/Texture/Sound/etc. files. Then, when you open the launcher, there should be a Data Files menu item. Click on that and enable the mod file you dropped in earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I've installed FCO and New Vegas Redesigned and I have an issue where all the eye textures are misaligned on the eyeball. It's like the textures have been offset 90 degrees and are wrapping around from the other side, which creates this cat-like black slit in the middle of the eye where the edges of the texture meet.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Use a different eye replacer. Redesigned and fco have different eye meshes which don't play well with each other. I use hi res eye replacer which only affects the vanilla eyes but doesn't give you the double iris bug

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Use a different eye replacer. Redesigned and fco have different eye meshes which don't play well with each other. I use hi res eye replacer which only affects the vanilla eyes but doesn't give you the double iris bug

Sweet tip. I was able to resolve my issue by copying FCO's eye meshes and textures and installing them as their own mod below NVR.

e;

Is there a way to manually generate a bashed patch? Wrye Flash didn't seem to make/install one at all. I'm using MO and I'm running Wrye Flash through that.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 11, 2016

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Upmarket Mango posted:

Sweet tip. I was able to resolve my issue by copying FCO's eye meshes and textures and installing them as their own mod below NVR.

e;

Is there a way to manually generate a bashed patch? Wrye Flash didn't seem to make/install one at all. I'm using MO and I'm running Wrye Flash through that.

There should be an empty bashed patch in mopy/templates, just move that to data.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Okay now I'm having a weird issue. Nobody has any hair, as if all the hair meshes are completely invisible or something. This is in the race menu and in the world. I'm using Mod Organizer and I've disabled every mod that affects appearances yet I'm still having the issue. Automatic Archive Invalidation is actived in MO too. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Roll back your driver - the Windows 10 anniversary update has some issue with the way drivers register themselves. For me, I had to go to Nvidia 386 (? not at work right now but I think that is correct)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I'm already on older drivers. I currently have 372.54 installed. I'm looking and the latest released driver was 373.06. I suppose I can try reinstalling them.

e: I've read somewhere that it's possibly a bug caused by NVAC.dll, unfortunately I can't test for myself because New Vegas crashes on start up without it. Trying older versions of NVAC hasn't helped.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 13, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Upmarket Mango posted:

Okay now I'm having a weird issue. Nobody has any hair, as if all the hair meshes are completely invisible or something. This is in the race menu and in the world. I'm using Mod Organizer and I've disabled every mod that affects appearances yet I'm still having the issue. Automatic Archive Invalidation is actived in MO too. Does anybody know what could be causing this?

Are you running any hair mods?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are you running any hair mods?

No. This is happening with a completely vanilla New Vegas.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I'm already on older drivers. I currently have 372.54 installed. I'm looking and the latest released driver was 373.06. I suppose I can try reinstalling them.

e: I've read somewhere that it's possibly a bug caused by NVAC.dll, unfortunately I can't test for myself because New Vegas crashes on start up without it. Trying older versions of NVAC hasn't helped.

go back even further and use the stable version of NVAC. I'll post my driver version when I get home.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Does Mod Organizer do something that prevents in game settings from saving? Every time I launch the game I have to change my key bindings again because they won't save.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Does Mod Organizer do something that prevents in game settings from saving? Every time I launch the game I have to change my key bindings again because they won't save.

MO keeps it's own .ini files, so it's possible it's saving and replacing the one in like my games/new vegas and not MO/new vegas but when MO opens it's reading the MO/New Vegas file. Dunno the exact locations or file names off the top of my head but it's probably that.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Upmarket Mango posted:

The hair is a NVAC beta bug, but without beta NVAC you have to fix the Windows 10 crash some other way, for example by dropping d3d9.dll from Nexus in NV folder(but that'll likely break ENB if you use any)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

The hair is a NVAC beta bug, but without beta NVAC you have to fix the Windows 10 crash some other way, for example by dropping d3d9.dll from Nexus in NV folder(but that'll likely break ENB if you use any)

ENB will work fine if you use the d3d9.dll file from the Nexus as a proxy library. Things will only really break if your ENB relies on ENB and SweetFX, since you can only load two .dll files this way.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Actually it would seem NVAC BETA has been updated this past day and it's fixed the hair issue for me. Everything is back as it should be.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Gyshall posted:

Roll back your driver - the Windows 10 anniversary update has some issue with the way drivers register themselves. For me, I had to go to Nvidia 386 (? not at work right now but I think that is correct)

Found this: http://steamcommunity.com/app/22380/discussions/0/343786745995848552/ over in the Let's Play FONV thread. Works well, tastes great.

Didn't cause any issue with NVSE on my setup (I did have to reset graphics options), not running ENB or SweetFX on FONV because (for me, at least) either really seems to screw up my frame rate/smoothness thereof.

Rig: Win 10 fully updated, Nvidia 780M with latest drivers.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Would it be a bad idea to update YUP in an ongoing playthrough?

I have an old modded playthrough from last year which I wanted to go back to, but I thought it might be a good idea to get up to date on bugfixes, just to avoid potential messes.
That's also why I'd rather not update it blindly without asking.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Something that's driving me insane in my current setup is I have DarnUI, oneHUD and the oneHUD DarnUI patch but I can't use Adjustable HUD to move any of the UI elements. I get the popup to use WASD to move things but they just don't move at all.

Annoyingly, rearranging my load order in Mod Organizer (dragging and dropping in the left pane) just makes things worse and stop the UI from displaying correctly at all.

Anyone else had this problem?

This is my current order

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Use Unified HUD instead of oHUD. Unified HUD has all the same functionality.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Gyshall posted:

Use Unified HUD instead of oHUD. Unified HUD has all the same functionality.

Is that the same thing though? The page for Unified Hud (http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/38961/) says

quote:

This mod is no longer supported
Please use UIO - User Interface Organizer instead.

I am using UIO already

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
yeah disregard, that was bad advice. oops

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
So I'm finally going to get around to playing New Vegas. Since It's an antique, I imagine there's some fairly brilliant mods out there. What are the cream of the crop, excluding those that would change the story?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

If only somebody had posted a list of good mods to start with in this thread

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

If only somebody had posted a list of good mods to start with in this thread

Absolutely true, but that post is over a year old and I wanted to know if there's any updates or new mods that are considered essential.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There hasn't been much in the way of FONV modding lately, so I'd trust that list. Check for updates, sure, but it's solid.

e:

make sure to do this.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In the interests of minimal mods causing minimal issues and conflicts, here's a pared down list:

JSawyer http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip gameplay overhaul, by the game's director so it's basically a patch

Go to http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/categories and search for:
Freeside Open
Strip Open
YUP
EVE
Outside Bets
Fellout

That's all you really need. If the old blurry textures bug you then hit up the Models And Textures category, I recommend Poco Bueno and Weapon texture Overhaul. This is also very good if you've played Fallout 4: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61666/

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

2house2fly posted:

In the interests of minimal mods causing minimal issues and conflicts, here's a pared down list:

JSawyer http://diogenes-lamp.info/jsawyer_fnv_mod.zip gameplay overhaul, by the game's director so it's basically a patch

Go to http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/categories and search for:
Freeside Open
Strip Open
YUP
EVE
Outside Bets
Fellout

That's all you really need. If the old blurry textures bug you then hit up the Models And Textures category, I recommend Poco Bueno and Weapon texture Overhaul. This is also very good if you've played Fallout 4: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61666/

Sounds good, thanks!

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I recommend grenade hotkey, sprint hotkey, improved recipe menu, quick trade, FO4 loot menu, and DarnifiedUI. Those at least get you up to a reasonable PC shooter UI.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Any opinions on After War Nevada? Looks like a comprehensive makeover. Anyone tried it?

drithius has compatibility patches for a few mods that can be used with AWN. Is NV Redesigned 3 the mod that introduces gratuitous gore in the name of lore and realism or does it change stuff up in a reasonable way?

I haven't touched FNV in a few years, last played with FOOK-PN Convergence. Are there any other newer mods worth looking at that focus on harder combat, resource scarcity, and stuff like that? AWN seems to focus on this kind of stuff plus the RPG mechanics.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you want harder combat and resource scarcity and don't care too much about the story, one mod that's blown up in the last year or so is DUST. It's basically a "sequel mod" which imagines that everything went as badly as possible after New Vegas; the Mojave is covered with tunnelers and cannibals, combat is extremely fast and lethal, carry capacity is slashed... have a look http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/57927/

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
The game is crashing on startup when I enable Jsawyer or YUP, but runs when they're disabled. Since they seem like important additions I want to keep them- I guess my inexperience with mods is showing. Here's my FOMM load order:

FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
YUP - Base Game + All DLC.esm
NVStripOpen.esm
FreesideOpen.esm
NevadaSkies.esm
jsawyer.esp
outsidebets.esp
StripOpenMain.esp
FreesideOpenPatch.esp
EVE FNV - NO GRA.esp
Existence 2.0.esp
Fellout.esp
Fellout-OWB.esp
NevadaSkies - Ultimate DLC Edition.esp
friendofnightforfellout.esp
YUP - NPC Fixes (Base Game + All DLC).esp

Total active plugins: 20
Total plugins: 22

I also got NVAC but it doesn't seem to be on this list. Can anyone spot why YUP and Jsawyer are acting up?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

burnsep posted:

The game is crashing on startup when I enable Jsawyer or YUP, but runs when they're disabled. Since they seem like important additions I want to keep them- I guess my inexperience with mods is showing. Here's my FOMM load order:

I also got NVAC but it doesn't seem to be on this list. Can anyone spot why YUP and Jsawyer are acting up?

You don't have all of the DLC. You're missing GRA and the Courier Stash Pack ones. Both JSawyer and the all dlc version of YUP need all of the dlc.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
Ah. That's obvious... now. Got the DLC and it's working great now. Thanks!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Also, shouldn't YUP NPC Fixes be near the top of your load order?

That's generally the case for bugfix mods.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Iirc the YUP guy recommends putting it at the top of your load order to avoid it messing with any other mods- if two mods affect the same thing priority is given to the mod that's lower down the order. I had fun finding this out when trying to figure out why my AER prototype was using the vanilla green beam instead of EVE's purple one; turned out it was because I was loading JSawyer after EVE.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Every time I think I'm done, I feel the need to mod this dang game again.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

v1ld posted:

Any opinions on After War Nevada? Looks like a comprehensive makeover. Anyone tried it?

drithius has compatibility patches for a few mods that can be used with AWN. Is NV Redesigned 3 the mod that introduces gratuitous gore in the name of lore and realism or does it change stuff up in a reasonable way?

I haven't touched FNV in a few years, last played with FOOK-PN Convergence. Are there any other newer mods worth looking at that focus on harder combat, resource scarcity, and stuff like that? AWN seems to focus on this kind of stuff plus the RPG mechanics.

It makes things that ought to be gory, gory, but I wouldn't call it gratuitous. If I had to put it on a scale of nasty poo poo in video games, the added gore is probably like a 4 or 5 tops. Hatred, Manhunt, Postal, hell, even GTA5 are more gratuitous than NVR3 is. I guess if a dead prostitute having "WHORE" cut into her back by a cult of violent misogynists is too much for you to cope with then you might want to avoid it, otherwise I recommend the mod. The changes it makes to the NPCs are good and helps make each character look more distinct as opposed to potato cousins.

The one thing that is crappy about the mod is that it turns Old Ben, a black man, into a white man for no real reason. There might be other NPCs that had race changes too, but I haven't found/noticed them yet. That being said, while it makes me question the modder's views on race, it's taken me literally 2 minutes to load up the CK and change Old Ben back into a black man on my own. Heck, I'll even upload that esp for everyone later this weekend.

As far as NPC redesign mods go, I'd say NVR is the best. Fallout Character Overhaul isn't bad (NVR3 requires it even), but it's all texture work as opposed to actual changes to facial structures, and the NPC's still look pretty similar (better textured, but similar).

Check it out, dude! As long as you don't make a character using any of the new race/hair/eye options, you should be able to uninstall the mod without issue if you end up not liking it, especially if you're using Mod Organizer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Upmarket Mango posted:

I guess if a dead prostitute having "WHORE" cut into her back by a cult of violent misogynists is too much for you to cope with then you might want to avoid it, otherwise I recommend the mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It also adds a poo poo ton of stuff to The Fort which makes the area's performance run like crap, all for the sake of having slave pens and a naked woman sucking off a legionnaire.