Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

We really should be able to launch 2 fighters and not only 1...

Yes, this one fighter limit is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Conskill posted:

Characterizing it as a space car tow gave me an idea.

Space AAA. No, really. Pay a fee for membership and get access to reduced cost tow and, hell, throw in a gas service as well.

There was an emergency beacon back in beta, before they added fuel scooping. Then they added scoops and disabled the beacon.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Beefeater1980 posted:

For me it's Elite:Frontier.

Yeah, that's where I started too. There was something about playing Han Solo in a somewhat realistic simulation of our own galaxy that grabbed my attention as a kid. Its the only game to have had a permanent place on my hard drive for as long as I've had a PC.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So did FDev silently implement a limit on mission stacking? I remember being able to stack ~20 missions before being told you have too many open missions. Now, I can't take more than ~6-7. Is this happening for anyone else?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
I'm making an obscene amount of credits with an exploration asp and a single exchangeable size 6 passenger cabin.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Dolemite posted:

So did FDev silently implement a limit on mission stacking? I remember being able to stack ~20 missions before being told you have too many open missions. Now, I can't take more than ~6-7. Is this happening for anyone else?

Yes. I am limited to four ATM

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Maybe it is related to account age or rank or something?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Just had my first death in a good while. I don't really do weapons or strongass shields on my Type 6, instead focusing on getting the best jump range.
This gently caress comes in 10Ls from my target station, interdicts me and depletes my shields instantly and gets hull down to 2% in less than a second. Is there even a way to avoid getting destroyed when this kinda poo poo happens? Should I focus on SYS instead of trying to outmaneuver with ENG?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
NPC? Just kill the process when the interdiction starts :buddy:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Inacio posted:

Just had my first death in a good while. I don't really do weapons or strongass shields on my Type 6, instead focusing on getting the best jump range.
This gently caress comes in 10Ls from my target station, interdicts me and depletes my shields instantly and gets hull down to 2% in less than a second. Is there even a way to avoid getting destroyed when this kinda poo poo happens? Should I focus on SYS instead of trying to outmaneuver with ENG?

Putting 4 pips to shields gives you ~2x the ehp, while 3.5 pips only gives you ~1.2x ehp. So, if you are losing shields, always go 4 pips.

As for interdiction, I usually do the submit and low-wake trick. If you submit to the interdiction, your FSD spools back up in <5s, while if you get pulled from superluminal it will take three times as long!

So, my method for interdictions:
  • Submit
  • 4 pips to engines
  • Boost twice
  • 4 pips to shields
  • Fire FSD as soon as it is ready

2spooky4me posted:

NPC? Just kill the process when the interdiction starts :buddy:

Never used it, but I legit had task manager on a second monitor when I came back from my ~9 month exploration trip.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Depending on what mission triggers the interdiction NPC, it's very possible to have pythons or even anacondas targeting you, and if you're in a ship with paper defenses like the type-6 they don't even have to be dangerous or anything close to be a threat. Sometimes you get lucky and the mission spawns more than one enemy ship too.

Either way do what TFS said and/or be ready with task manager (holy poo poo I'd be so paranoid bringing in millions of exploration data too :ohdear:). I'd add:
  • Submit, but keep following the escape vector marker because it's possible to lose the minigame before submission takes you out of supercruise. Also, if the minigame is going your way while interdicting you can throttle up and try to escape, which especially helps on long trips between stars and stations, or if you're close to the station already (otherwise the NPCs tend to just show up again).
  • NPCs about to interdict you announce themselves via chat, check the contacts list and see what ship they fly. Something with a large mass lock factor can well doom a stripped down long range hauling setup that can't get out of mass lock range. In that case high wake to a different star and try again (or well, task manager...).
  • Also if you get a pirate NPC coming for you as you jump in, you can try to fly very close to the star's exclusion zone and turn so your ship's butt is towards the star. If you can do it in time the NPC will usually fly into the exclusion zone trying to interdict you and get taken out of supercruise. The "blip" and "1 contact lost" message is never not hilarious.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

NPCs are still really poo poo at chasing you in a straight line. Forget manoeuvring and just run.

The T6 is also, no joke, really loving fast under boost. It's not top tier, but it can still outrun most (non engineered) things quite easily. Always Be Cboosting.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 30, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

It's really fun when you have two or more targeting you for interdiction and, when you submit, they start fighting each other rather than go after you.

The problem is that even if they kill each other, it'll just keep happening since NPC kills don't actually kill other NPCs so as soon as you're back in frameshift, both of them will come back to interdict you all over again. :frontear:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
My favourite part about NPC interdictions is how you can escape one, and after a few seconds he'll respawn in front of you, interdicting you again once he passes you. And if it happens close enough to a station he'll show up there and get owned by other NPCs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
FLYING TO A STATION CARRYING MODULAR TERMINALS: THE NOVEL

I've come a long way for your cargo. Don't try to run.
You have a choice: stay rich, or stay alive.
Fear me!
Fear me!
Fear me!
Fear me!
Welcome to our cool rear end starport, commander. Don't break any laws.
Fear me!
This can't be happening!
We'll accept your use of automated docking at this facility, commander, but you should really learn how to land.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I always wondered, does ejecting the engineering cargo actually help when the NPC goes "give me your stuff or die"? Not like I want to try this out :v:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

orcane posted:

I always wondered, does ejecting the engineering cargo actually help when the NPC goes "give me your stuff or die"? Not like I want to try this out :v:

Are you actually planning on using that soonish? If not sell it and stop the interdiction bs.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

orcane posted:

Yeah, it does. I was hauling some engineering poo poo out to Maia to get dirty drives, and fortunately I had some spares. When a pirate interdicted me I just tossed a couple out my rear end and the pirate started shouting 'mine all mine!' in local.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

SpannerX posted:

Are you actually planning on using that soonish? If not sell it and stop the interdiction bs.

I'm not carrying any, but I always wondered this when I'm interdicted on the way to an engineer. It might be fun carrying a few of those you can buy on markets for a few dozen credits, except it's easier to just get away again 99% of the time.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How do the tourist visitor beacons work? I have the passengers and I'm at the target one but nothing happens to the mission?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Sylink posted:

How do the tourist visitor beacons work? I have the passengers and I'm at the target one but nothing happens to the mission?

Did you scan the beacon? That's all you need to do. I've had no issues with tourist beacons not working.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Sylink posted:

There is a bug on missions that have multiple destinations. After you scan the first beacon, sometimes the mission is not updated with the location of the second beacon. If you can manually find the second beacon, the mission will still work, but good luck with that.

I had it happen and got frustrated to the point I just said "gently caress it" and ejected the passenger.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I borrowed my brother's Saitek X52. Price was right for me, $0.

Holy hell is it fun to fly in a Vulture using a HOTAS. I actually changed my speed on the fly unlike how when I usually fly with my keyboard +mouse going basically "am I in the blue? Ok I'm in the blue".
I just have a little issue landing, like it was my first time playing the game. Technically, it is as I am using a controller for the first time. Really fun.
-
One time when I was at a tourist beacon, I just looked at the galaxy map to find out where the passenger wanted to go. When I was in supercruise my passenger then updated to the next location. I did scan the beacon to get the information, but then just went anyways. Odd that the mission only updated once I went forward.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

This guy.

This. Guy. :argh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Friction posted:

This guy.

This. Guy. :argh:

This too, shall pass...

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Natsuumi posted:

Did you scan the beacon? That's all you need to do. I've had no issues with tourist beacons not working.

This was the problem, it took ten minutes for this to occur to me.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

orcane posted:

Word of warning that some NPCs will still shoot the ever loving poo poo out of you even if you give up your cargo.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

aww cute..

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Also, "I'm Batmaaaan"..

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

All this time, I had no idea the Vulture was a two seater.

How did I not notice that... I loving flew one for months.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Checkin in after a long time...When did the reboot and repair function go?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

tooterfish posted:

All this time, I had no idea the Vulture was a two seater.
I just noticed this last week. I was in VR and got up to go to the bathroom and caught a glimpse there was a second chair behind me as I stood. I also thought for a second I would fall off the pedestal the pilot chair was on before I realized it wasn't real, but hey that's VR for you.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

WebDog posted:

Checkin in after a long time...When did the reboot and repair function go?

You're probably in Supercruise mode. It's on your right hand side under "Functions" just below the options for RADAR range if you're out of SC.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Einbauschrank posted:

You're probably in Supercruise mode. It's on your right hand side under "Functions" just below the options for RADAR range if you're out of SC.
of course!
I was in SC when I was checking. Having fun being space ferry.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
-Try to make some cash because I want to outfit ships.
-Take on 2 passenger missions because they're the only ones that pay worth a drat.
-Get interdicted at least 3-4 times between the Wu Guinagi - HIP 10716 run.
-With less than 100km to go before landing, the passengers want to go all the way back to where I picked them up.

All that for a measly 1mil payout. I...Just...I can't enjoy this game anymore. I genuinely don't understand what both :frontear:: and the brown sea have against money being available for players to actually DO STUFF in the game. I don't want to spend a month grinding enough cash to outfit a ship for mining, maybe another ship for passenger hauling, a ship for killing spacemans and so on.

You don't have the freedom to do anything now. By that, I mean you can't AFFORD to do anything. Especially since you can only stack like 5 missions that might pay out 100K or something. Well, unless you want to fly passengers 20,000 LY for a crazy TWO million payout! I never thought I'd rage meltdown, but drat, this game used to be so much fun. Now, not so much.

Good job listening to only the "MAH IMMERSION!!" crew, :frontear: :(

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL
I agree, the game is much more fun when you are stupid rich.

The whole "gameplay" of earning credits is fun for a few hours but it's good that you can usually google a way to make bank when you get sick of it.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Talking of making bank, any new places working out well? I know the popular spot for skimmer missions has already been removed...

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Dolemite posted:

-Try to make some cash because I want to outfit ships.
-Take on 2 passenger missions because they're the only ones that pay worth a drat.
-Get interdicted at least 3-4 times between the Wu Guinagi - HIP 10716 run.
-With less than 100km to go before landing, the passengers want to go all the way back to where I picked them up.

All that for a measly 1mil payout. I...Just...I can't enjoy this game anymore. I genuinely don't understand what both :frontear:: and the brown sea have against money being available for players to actually DO STUFF in the game. I don't want to spend a month grinding enough cash to outfit a ship for mining, maybe another ship for passenger hauling, a ship for killing spacemans and so on.

You don't have the freedom to do anything now. By that, I mean you can't AFFORD to do anything. Especially since you can only stack like 5 missions that might pay out 100K or something. Well, unless you want to fly passengers 20,000 LY for a crazy TWO million payout! I never thought I'd rage meltdown, but drat, this game used to be so much fun. Now, not so much.

Good job listening to only the "MAH IMMERSION!!" crew, :frontear: :(

I dunno man, I made like 20 mil for a few hours of tourist shuttling last night (running 3 simultaneous missions). It's not Sothis poop money but it's not bad by any stretch of the imagination. And I've seen missions to the core that pay over 100 million+, so if someone offers you 2 million for a 20k LY trip maybe tell them to gently caress off?

Do you have really bad rep or something? Are you just not being selective about the contracts you take?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 31, 2016

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What's a good way to make money when you are new to the game? I've been hanging out in my eagle mk3 in a lawless system in a resource extraction area with lots of popo just jumping in to get some hits on people with bounties that get annihilated.

And getting 80k or 130k is fantastic, but it's gotten a bit dull.

Tried doing a 20ly rare goods run and got a whopping 75k profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Demon_Corsair posted:

What's a good way to make money when you are new to the game? I've been hanging out in my eagle mk3 in a lawless system in a resource extraction area with lots of popo just jumping in to get some hits on people with bounties that get annihilated.

And getting 80k or 130k is fantastic, but it's gotten a bit dull.

Tried doing a 20ly rare goods run and got a whopping 75k profit.

Making Money -- Missions -- Skimmer smashing (40M/hr) requires an SRV
** Sidewinder Friendly **
You can do this in any ship, even the default sidewinder. Use railguns, dumbfire missiles, or lasers. You will need to trespass in your SRV to get the skimmers to spawn.

Good places include New Yembo/Unity Orbital, Arietis Sector CQ-Y D60/Cochrane Works, and Naitis. Makes about 40M/hr once you're allied if you can stack enough missions to the same place.

Everyone's saying Cochrane Works stopped giving missions so maybe try one of the others

Other options are:

Scooping Precious Gems at the USS near Maiki 3 (not sure how long this will last, it has popped up after the last three updates for about a week) -- each canister is worth 60k if you take it to a black market that other players haven't already bombed, so about 5M/hr in a Cobra

RES hunting ** Sidewinder Friendly ** (~3M/hour killstealing cops, or 5M in a proper combat ship),

CZ mission stacking (up to 20M/hr) -- you need a good ship for this or you will die a fair bit. Dying doesn't matter in a cheap ship though; it can even be a good way to get back to the station quickly to reload/stack more missions. Killstealling is pretty slow here, you will have trouble finishing the "Kill 50 for $10M" missions in the four hours they allow. Kinetic weapons (flak, multicannons, cannons) are good for this -- drill out powerplants for days. Pick on ships that are already outnumbered, and run away BEFORE you get outnumbered yourself. Use the galaxy map and filter by War/Civil War to find a place to do this. There's a crowd on the Discord (see PGS) that does this for fun.

Smuggling missions (Aditi, Ceos, etc., currently all smuggling is nerfed down to laughable levels, RIP)

Passenger missions (you'll have to figure this out yourself 'cos it's so new, but either do individual high-paying missions (good in a Cobra/AspE) or in a big ship stack economy missions in Aditi, Tun, Shu Babassi, Wu Guinagi, Vesuvit, etc.)

Anything mission-based requires getting the minor factions up to Allied first to get the high-paying missions (sell the controlling faction 2M of exploration data or run ~20 missions for a faction)

jnnnnn fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 31, 2016

• Locked thread