Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
piiiiisssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
When I'm done with prose Odyssey, should I read His Dark Materials or Harry Potter?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Nanomashoes posted:

Now there was a certain Olynthian, named mycophobia; he was a great lover of boys, and seeing a handsome lad, just in the bloom of youth, and carrying a light shield, about to be slain, he ran up to Xenophon and supplicated him to rescue the fair youth. Xenophon went to Seuthes and begged him not to put the boy to death. He explained to him the disposition of mycophobia; how he had once enrolled a company, the only qualification required being that of personal beauty; and with these handsome young men at his side there were none so brave as he. Seuthes put the question, "Would you like to die on his behalf, mycophobia?" whereat the other stretched out his neck, and said, "Strike, if the boy bids you, and will thank his preserver." Seuthes, turning to the boy, asked, "Shall I smite him instead of you?" The boy shook his head, imploring him to slay neither the one nor the other, whereupon mycophobia caught the lad in his arms, exclaiming, "It is time you did battle with me, Seuthes, for my boy; never will I yield him up," and Seuthes laughed: "what must be must," and so consented.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nah this is a cool thread

:chloe:

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

THE PWNER posted:

When I'm done with prose Odyssey, should I read His Dark Materials or Harry Potter?

Infinite Jest

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

THE PWNER posted:

Well if you have to read one, His Dark Materials is shorter and better.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

THE PWNER posted:

It's probably not exactly what you're looking for but I recommend A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin

Anyway, in translation chat, just picked up the Grossman translation of Don Quixote since I hear good things about it.

Also which translation to go for with Hamsun's Pan? I guess I always assume the latest translation is the definitive one but this wasn't the case with Hunger where Lyngstad was considered definitive.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Nitevision posted:

Infinite Jest

Just read this one 5000 times. I've ascended to a deeper plane of existence.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

THE PWNER posted:

Just read this one 5000 times. I've ascended to a deeper plane of existence.

It made me fall asleep, too.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
aren't you the guy who recommended an edward lee book with a straight face

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

God drat you for making me look that guy up.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Probably. I quite like him. My tastes are quite varied.

Infinite Jest did bore me to tears, though. Nothing against DFW, but it just didn't grip me in the same way many other books have.

E: to add some content, the book just didn't resonate with me the way it did with others, because I don't really think it's fundamentally designed for someone like me.

I remember the section on 'exotic new facts' that you learn once you enter a halfway house and thinking 'Here we go, about to have some truth bombs dropped on me from high' (and having been in a similar situation, maybe some familiar scenarios) and being met with such trite observations as 'Black people can be racist' or 'Women swear too'. I think when I got the 'You can live with cockroaches' and 'Casual sex leaves you feeling empty' I started to wonder if maybe I was the target audience here, since I've lived in cockroach infested houses as a consequence of being dirt poor and a lot of the other exotic facts were stuff a lot of people who haven't led an incredibly sheltered life manage to learn about fairly organically. Maybe it was operating at several levels of irony beyond my measure?

For a book purportedly about addiction, I also get the impression, especially with his disdain for substitute therapy such as methadone, that quite a lot of his insight on addiction comes from addiction to alcohol (which is fair enough, I was never addicted to alcohol and seeing as how many former alcoholics who have read IJ identify with his insight, I'm willing to concede his expertise) and it is then transposed to other forms without really actually understanding how they actually differ. I mean, even the heroin addicts aren't actually meaningfully explored as heroin addicts and it's only their subsequent decline into alcoholism as a a substitute that actually gets any meaningful 'insight'.

It just comes across as a hardcore alcoholic who has smoked some weed and is therefore an expert on opiates etc.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 29, 2016

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

googling edward lee lead to a chef

I clearly googled the wrong edward lee

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

googling edward lee lead to a chef

I clearly googled the wrong edward lee

He's cooking up grotesque spooky stories.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It's pretty much intro to lit not to judge a book by its cover.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

Thanks but reading a guy whose website has a one word quote by fangoria sounds like work. I'd prefer not to.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Cloks posted:

Actually, considering the level of time and effort put into designing covers by publishers and the role covers play in advertising the content of the story to potential readers, its very reasonable to judge a book by its cover.

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Very true, covers are extremely important

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cloks posted:

e:

Edward Lee posted:

He contemplated abstrusions, orphic enigmas, and oblique strategies, all while exerting every effort not to look at the dead pregnant woman.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 30, 2016

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

would

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

That's dumb, since it's basic human instinct to "judge a book by its cover". It saves everyone a lot of time. Especially if it's a fat guy eating cheetos in the nude with a decapitated head on a plate on his dick.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Don Holliday's The Gay Dogs seems to lack a certain permanence—but who can judge without having read it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

would

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Franchescanado posted:

That's dumb, since it's basic human instinct to "judge a book by its cover". It saves everyone a lot of time. Especially if it's a fat guy eating cheetos in the nude with a decapitated head on a plate on his dick.

i actually read more than a few edward lee books when i was 13-14 and they are indeed accurately represented by their covers

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm sorry, I forgot to put "this is a joke" after my last post.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Cloks posted:

I'm sorry, I forgot to put "this is a joke" after my last post.

Just post like me so everyone will know all your posts are a joke

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Dear publishers: please put ALL books on Kindle. I wanted to read Creation by Gore Vidal, but it's not on Kindle. I wanted to read Trinity by Leon Uris, but it's not on Kindle. I wanted to read The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, not on Kindle...I need to read on my phone, man...I can't use a physical book in 2016. Put ALL books on Kindle, for the love of God.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

The Dennis System posted:

Dear publishers: please put ALL books on Kindle.

I still read physical books, but even so I stand behind this

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
any reason to post this beauty

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

this is the best cover

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Thought I was in the PYF knockoffs thread for a sec.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

It's not Real Literature but the cover I had of Howl's Moving Castle was atrocious, the book itself was actually good.

That said I tend to distrust covers where the author's name is really big compared to the title of the book itself

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

J_RBG posted:

It's not Real Literature but the cover I had of Howl's Moving Castle was atrocious, the book itself was actually good.

That said I tend to distrust covers where the author's name is really big compared to the title of the book itself

Also, If the authors name looks shiny or the letters stick out in a neat textured way, then you can be sure that the book is trash.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Smdh if your covers are not handbound leather.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
can we put together a kickstarter to change mel's avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Dennis System posted:

Dear publishers: please put ALL books on Kindle. I wanted to read Creation by Gore Vidal, but it's not on Kindle. I wanted to read Trinity by Leon Uris, but it's not on Kindle. I wanted to read The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge, not on Kindle...I need to read on my phone, man...I can't use a physical book in 2016. Put ALL books on Kindle, for the love of God.

A lot of the books I've read lately just wouldn't work on Kindle, for one reason or another, like extensive annotations (Pale Fire, The Third Policeman), odd formatting (The Tunnel, Mulligan Stew, Ulysses), or diagrams (a whole bunch of 20th century linguists defending their special snowflake multidimensional recursive triadic/quadratic/phlegmatic model of the sign).