Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

And smartly choosing where you fight. So many times people have come into this thread complaining about getting destroyed in combat over and over and it turns out that they're attacking over rivers and also letting the AI have all of the defensive terrain advantages.

And with the most recent fort changes it's now easier than ever to get your enemy into a position that is hugely advantageous to you. A fort in the mountains is a huge advantage against against a larger, superior enemy force.

Honestly, since around Art of War until the recent fort changes I've felt like it was really difficult to stand up to the lucky nations unless you were stronger than them or put together a real fuckoff coalition including other luckies, especially France and the Ottomans; the AI has improved at waging war a lot since EU4 was released and it was tough to get them into defensive terrain without doing kinda gamey stuff like baiting with small armies. Now though I think things are just about right - they have to go into terrain that's disadvantageous for them to get anywhere if you've placed forts wisely, which has made defensive nations like Ethiopia strong enough to deal with the threats they face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, the EU4 AI has gotten real good. It doesn't surprise me that it can beat new players pretty easily.

An easy setting for the AI might help ease new players in. Does changing difficulty do much for the AI or is does it just give the player bonuses?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
With Rights of Man I've seen the AI do some questionable warfare. Like, straight up running a smaller stack into my very much larger army without any backup around. I guess it does some calculations to make it appear favourable for it.

No question that the AI has gotten a lot better, but sometimes you just get that headscratching moment of an enemy 10-stack running head first into your 15+ stack to try and relieve a fort siege.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MrBling posted:

With Rights of Man I've seen the AI do some questionable warfare. Like, straight up running a smaller stack into my very much larger army without any backup around. I guess it does some calculations to make it appear favourable for it.

No question that the AI has gotten a lot better, but sometimes you just get that headscratching moment of an enemy 10-stack running head first into your 15+ stack to try and relieve a fort siege.

I wonder if the AI takes the leader's stats into account. Maybe if the army has a 1/1/1 general, it intentionally has a chance of making terrible decisions?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The AI has definitely gotten better, but it still does make some bad decisions. It's possible to string them around and distract the main army while you slowly siege them down, but that requires fighting on two different fronts to mess with the AI and a new player probably won't realize what's happening and will walk into doom stacks just as badly as the AI does. It makes wars take forever, but you can beat the Ottomans even with their 300k troops using half that if you don't mind ten years of grindy warfare - and I seriously doubt new people will understand or desire that situation.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Thanks to the discussion about Ethiopia in the last few pages, I think I'll have to give them another shot after failing miserably a couple of times. Last game I made the mistake of prioritizing desert provinces for forts, instead of mountains. I tried to maximize the attrition, which helped against Mamluks and their Moroccan allies, but once I found myself sharing a border with Ottomans, their ridiculously large armies melted through my forts without taking considerable losses. I think the difficulty with Ethiopia is that you have to plan so much ahead for the next opponent. When conquering the Horn of Africa, you are preparing to face Mamluks, and when facing Mamluks you are preparing to face Ottomans.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Oh gently caress, I just kind of realised that the fort changes have hosed my almost 100% consistent Tabarestan strategy because I can't siege QQ's capital and get a defensive bonus any more :negative:

A shame because that first war was always incredibly fun and every other strategy I've seen involves sitting on your rear end for ages and trying to use allies

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Thanks to the discussion about Ethiopia in the last few pages, I think I'll have to give them another shot after failing miserably a couple of times. Last game I made the mistake of prioritizing desert provinces for forts, instead of mountains. I tried to maximize the attrition, which helped against Mamluks and their Moroccan allies, but once I found myself sharing a border with Ottomans, their ridiculously large armies melted through my forts without taking considerable losses. I think the difficulty with Ethiopia is that you have to plan so much ahead for the next opponent. When conquering the Horn of Africa, you are preparing to face Mamluks, and when facing Mamluks you are preparing to face Ottomans.

A word of advice. In the big write up a few pages back, the guy said he took economic ideas second but considered religious ideas. Absolutely take economic ideas. Holy war is nice and you do have to do a lot of converting that the extra missionaries help with, but between the gold and the loans you'll be taking until you can start your colonial empire, the inflation you'll be amassing is an absolute drain on your admin points which'll already be taking a hit from coring high development provinces in Egypt. I'm still two levels behind on admin.

Take the missionary strength blessing early though.

EDIT: Unrelated but did they take the extra spot reserved for player diplomatic relations? I can't make an alliance with Poland because they have too many diplomatic relations and they're the last remaining piece in my Ottoman containment strategy.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 29, 2016

feller
Jul 5, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Oh gently caress, I just kind of realised that the fort changes have hosed my almost 100% consistent Tabarestan strategy because I can't siege QQ's capital and get a defensive bonus any more :negative:

A shame because that first war was always incredibly fun and every other strategy I've seen involves sitting on your rear end for ages and trying to use allies

Persia has been very reliably revolting early in my RoM games. My go-to strategy as Tabarestan is to jump them immediately before they can get allies or an army.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I usually tried to avoid Persia appearing so I could do the sneaky "only core a few provinces and get all the others for free" trick, not sure if that still works.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
started doing an Ethiopia run too after those past posts, here's where I'm at:

I've gotten very lucky with the Ottomans. They didn't glitch out and get stuck in tech 6 for the whole campaign after inhereting Crimea like they did in my last campaign (in fact, they beat up Spain and have southern Italy), but they still haven't focused their attention on me- I haven't had a single war with them, and at this point I honestly feel like I could take them and beat the campaign*, if I took out a bunch of loans. I can probably attribute that mostly to luck, but keep in mind there are some things you can do to forestall the inevitable when you're bordering them or Ming- you can see one in the picture. I released Lebanon from the Mamluks (not a vassal, although I'm not far from being able to diplo them) which gives us a nice buffer between us and makes Ottomans hate me markedly less. I also kept a diplomat pretty much permanently on improve relations, and avoided too much AE with the Ottomans at all costs. They've gone and rivaled me now, but there were a good 80 years they had me available as a rival and could have absolutely clowned me if they'd done so, but never actually hit rival on me. Even if they do rival you, you can often keep up good relations and they'll eventually lose interest as long as you don't rival them back and don't give them a good opening. Until you pass a certain size, anyway. It's the same tricks I use regularly in East Asia games when I have a looming Ming on my border and it tends to work pretty well. Still, also helps to get lucky.

I went exploration -> expansion -> quantity. Inflation was an issue for sure, a full half of my income was from the Mutapan gold for probably 50 years until I really got the trade rolling in (just got global trade to fire in Zanzibar) so I had a lot of inflation to buy down even with the advisor from the burghers. But honestly, I don't think it's worth going economic. Pellisworth mentioned it before but I think it's really worth stressing- AE is the limiting factor in this campaign. You can see I have Hejaz, Ajuuran and Kilwa in positions ripe for the taking, but I just can't risk going for them because it's coalition hell if I take more than a small bite at one time.

So honestly, unconventional as it sounds, I think influence is the way to go, if you don't wanna go into super-colonization mode like I tend to do. The AE reduction is king, reduced annexation cost means you can take even less AE by mostly using vassalizing, and then buy down your inflation with the extra admin points you've saved from not coring things. Diprep will help diplovassalize, and then envoy travel time is actually pretty helpful when you're a huge colonial empire.

Plus, final part of the group that'd help with something I've really come to appreciate in this campaign- increased heir chance and extra prestige. I just hosed up with my last one and am now stuck with a 4,2,2, but before that I've had a string of god-kings and queens through the entire campaign. As Ethiopia, you get an absolutely absurd amount of prestige and legitimacy, which means you can pretty much reroll your heirs constantly if you're stuck with even an average one. Abuse the hell out of this. Aside from the point where I hosed up where I spawned in Printing Press (note: do not do this in Magagascar, the single string of provinces up East Africa do not make for good spreading ground), I've been a tech leader the entire campaign, plus no problem with ideas, coring, and development, plus the inflation I had to buy down. I'm expecting they're gonna nerf disinheriting soon because it can be absurdly overpowered. Maybe only as certain nations though.

*keep in mind you don't actually have to eat your way all the way over to Armenia to get Yerevan for the blessing. Just release them. Taking Constantinople, releasing Armenia and even Antioch too is all possible in one war, as long as you're willing to grind it out with them.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

How do I bring India / Spice islands trade to the english channel? It seems it passes through a lot of nodes that siphon lots of ducats out, I have like 9 merchants so I can put them all to steer it but I'm not sure that's optimal. Should I also send some light ships to protect each node?

Also england is crazy, I can keep around a couple full 25k stacks of mercs and still rack in money hand over fist

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It mostly comes down to control of the Ivory Coast. There are a lot of nodes between the English Channel and Malacca, but for most of them the trade flows naturally towards Europe, so even if they're totally dominated by other (European- the locals will try to keep trade in their own nodes) powers, the trade will still get pushed towards you without you doing anything, so no need for a merchant in those places. The Ivory Coast is where that changes, with it being split between Bordeaux, Sevilla and you respectively, with each colonizer trying to pull it in their own direction.

It's pretty hard to dominate it- it's upstream of a bunch of very rich nodes, which'll give other powers control even if you control all the land area on the coast its self. But conquering the centers of trade and throwing a lot of trade ships there will help.

Throwing trade ships at a node rarely hurts- the interface is super clear about it now too, so you can know when you're making a profit off it (although it can have some ripple effects if you're dealing with nodes a long way upstream that it doesn't account for). But in general, put trade ships in contested nodes with low trade power, e.g. Aden that can pull in several different ways but that has low development and so not much power from the local provinces sucking it away from you. So say Aden has like 100 trade power from provinces- maybe like 10 trade power from a smattering of light ships the poor local teams afford to put out. A quick 20 stack from you could give 50/60 etc trade power for little effort, giving you a dominating share, and you can pull a lot of trade down that way. Look for uncontested nodes to suck in- Siam is usually a good one. Putting your 50 trade power of lights into a 100/200 trade power source node is a lot more decisive than into a 1000 trade power end node.

It's kinda case by case, the actual realities of the trade nodes can vary a lot for each game, but look on the interface and it's pretty clear with well explained tooltips and stuff.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Koramei posted:

I've gotten very lucky with the Ottomans. They didn't glitch out and get stuck in tech 6 for the whole campaign after inhereting Crimea like they did in my last campaign (in fact, they beat up Spain and have southern Italy), but they still haven't focused their attention on me- I haven't had a single war with them, and at this point I honestly feel like I could take them and beat the campaign*, if I took out a bunch of loans. I can probably attribute that mostly to luck, but keep in mind there are some things you can do to forestall the inevitable when you're bordering them or Ming- you can see one in the picture. I released Lebanon from the Mamluks (not a vassal, although I'm not far from being able to diplo them) which gives us a nice buffer between us and makes Ottomans hate me markedly less. I also kept a diplomat pretty much permanently on improve relations, and avoided too much AE with the Ottomans at all costs. They've gone and rivaled me now, but there were a good 80 years they had me available as a rival and could have absolutely clowned me if they'd done so, but never actually hit rival on me. Even if they do rival you, you can often keep up good relations and they'll eventually lose interest as long as you don't rival them back and don't give them a good opening. Until you pass a certain size, anyway. It's the same tricks I use regularly in East Asia games when I have a looming Ming on my border and it tends to work pretty well. Still, also helps to get lucky.

I went exploration -> expansion -> quantity. Inflation was an issue for sure, a full half of my income was from the Mutapan gold for probably 50 years until I really got the trade rolling in (just got global trade to fire in Zanzibar) so I had a lot of inflation to buy down even with the advisor from the burghers. But honestly, I don't think it's worth going economic. Pellisworth mentioned it before but I think it's really worth stressing- AE is the limiting factor in this campaign. You can see I have Hejaz, Ajuuran and Kilwa in positions ripe for the taking, but I just can't risk going for them because it's coalition hell if I take more than a small bite at one time.

So honestly, unconventional as it sounds, I think influence is the way to go, if you don't wanna go into super-colonization mode like I tend to do. The AE reduction is king, reduced annexation cost means you can take even less AE by mostly using vassalizing, and then buy down your inflation with the extra admin points you've saved from not coring things. Diprep will help diplovassalize, and then envoy travel time is actually pretty helpful when you're a huge colonial empire.

Plus, final part of the group that'd help with something I've really come to appreciate in this campaign- increased heir chance and extra prestige. I just hosed up with my last one and am now stuck with a 4,2,2, but before that I've had a string of god-kings and queens through the entire campaign. As Ethiopia, you get an absolutely absurd amount of prestige and legitimacy, which means you can pretty much reroll your heirs constantly if you're stuck with even an average one. Abuse the hell out of this. Aside from the point where I hosed up where I spawned in Printing Press (note: do not do this in Magagascar, the single string of provinces up East Africa do not make for good spreading ground), I've been a tech leader the entire campaign, plus no problem with ideas, coring, and development, plus the inflation I had to buy down. I'm expecting they're gonna nerf disinheriting soon because it can be absurdly overpowered. Maybe only as certain nations though.

*keep in mind you don't actually have to eat your way all the way over to Armenia to get Yerevan for the blessing. Just release them. Taking Constantinople, releasing Armenia and even Antioch too is all possible in one war, as long as you're willing to grind it out with them.

Exploration -> Expansion -> Quantity -> Influence, or Influence -> Quantity, is definitely the way to go with Ethiopia. Humanism used to be ridiculously good too, to let you keep Egyptian, etc. as an accepted culture and roll forever without ever raising autonomy on conquered territory, but with a lot of the changes in the last year or so it's fallen to a late game pick if anything.

TorakFade posted:

How do I bring India / Spice islands trade to the english channel? It seems it passes through a lot of nodes that siphon lots of ducats out, I have like 9 merchants so I can put them all to steer it but I'm not sure that's optimal. Should I also send some light ships to protect each node?

Also england is crazy, I can keep around a couple full 25k stacks of mercs and still rack in money hand over fist

Colonize South Africa before you go to India or SE Asia so that that node is uncontested, then collect there until you either have enough of a fleet to dominate the West African node and send it on home, or have colonized the West African coast enough to dominate there. You will need to have a fleet on Zanzibar for sure until you take Kilwa's trade centers, which will secure a route from SE Asia to the Cape in South Africa, and then if you want India's trade you'll need to have one in Aden as well.

If you think you're rich now, just wait til you've got trade flowing from China to the Channel.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Koramei posted:

Your play through seems to have gone completely different to mine. I'm about 30 years in after you and I'm just getting control of the Zanzibar trade node and trying to make headways into Madagascar. I didn't get lucky with my rulers who were usually below average and re-rolling usually made them even more subpar. Nothing like wasting 50 prestige to get rid of an heir with about 6 points to an heir with 3 points!

The ottomans steamed through the Middle East and had a good chunk of Egypt by 1550, they were helped by getting two long living 6-6-6 rulers. They have like 1500 development and an army of like 200K so I'm feeling real good about my chances :v:

Since everyone seems to be playing an Ethiopia run right now, I'm wondering when you guys embraced the first couple of institutions. Did you try to get it asap and not let the tech cost rise or did you wait until it was cheap to embrace?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

You can see I have Hejaz, Ajuuran and Kilwa in positions ripe for the taking, but I just can't risk going for them because it's coalition hell if I take more than a small bite at one time.

Say what? I assumed those were your vassals! In my game I ran them AND the nations in madagascar up to >100 AE and it did not matter at all because they are all super weak.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

really queer Christmas posted:

Since everyone seems to be playing an Ethiopia run right now, I'm wondering when you guys embraced the first couple of institutions. Did you try to get it asap and not let the tech cost rise or did you wait until it was cheap to embrace?

I've been waiting for a convenient time, I was way ahead-of-time in tech while Colonization was still new so I decided to just coast for awhile. I think that tech costs were +50% by the time that I embraced Colonization

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

QuarkJets posted:

Say what? I assumed those were your vassals! In my game I ran them AND the nations in madagascar up to >100 AE and it did not matter at all because they are all super weak.

You don't get AE with the Ottomans when you attack them? Now that Kilwa's Zanzibar provinces are taken I can probably eat them without anyone caring, but Hejaz and Ajuuran cause all kinds of problems still for me. Even the Indonesian teams want to coalition me.

really queer Christmas posted:

Your play through seems to have gone completely different to mine. I'm about 30 years in after you and I'm just getting control of the Zanzibar trade node and trying to make headways into Madagascar. I didn't get lucky with my rulers who were usually below average and re-rolling usually made them even more subpar. Nothing like wasting 50 prestige to get rid of an heir with about 6 points to an heir with 3 points!

The ottomans steamed through the Middle East and had a good chunk of Egypt by 1550, they were helped by getting two long living 6-6-6 rulers. They have like 1500 development and an army of like 200K so I'm feeling real good about my chances :v:

You gotta try and strike the Mamluks sooner. I took Alexandria by 1475 and Antioch in the next war by 1490, the Ottomans didn't have time to take them yet (plus I got lucky and they attacked the Balkan minors before coming south).

Geez, sounds like you got unlucky though. 1000 hours in this game and I've still never actually seen a 6-6-6.

As for institutions, yeah, I try to spawn them as soon as possible. It takes so long to spread in your low development land, you need to start early. I put Printing Press in a bad spot and ended up not managing to embrace it until right before Global Trade happened even though I'd spawned it in 50 years earlier, but for the others it's been within a decade or so.

The way I play the game I'll pretty much exchange whatever gold necessary even for a handful of monarch points. Definitely worth taking loans to embrace the institutions in my opinion.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jazerus posted:

Exploration -> Expansion -> Quantity -> Influence, or Influence -> Quantity, is definitely the way to go with Ethiopia. Humanism used to be ridiculously good too, to let you keep Egyptian, etc. as an accepted culture and roll forever without ever raising autonomy on conquered territory, but with a lot of the changes in the last year or so it's fallen to a late game pick if anything.

Colonize South Africa before you go to India or SE Asia so that that node is uncontested, then collect there until you either have enough of a fleet to dominate the West African node and send it on home, or have colonized the West African coast enough to dominate there. You will need to have a fleet on Zanzibar for sure until you take Kilwa's trade centers, which will secure a route from SE Asia to the Cape in South Africa, and then if you want India's trade you'll need to have one in Aden as well.

If you think you're rich now, just wait til you've got trade flowing from China to the Channel.

I have 45% trade power in ivory coast with 20 ships patrolling it, I beelined it exactly because I thought it would be the best way to funnel gold my way. Currently building marketplaces on the whole west coast of Africa and almost every province there is mine except for some locals I will displace once I am done kicking france out of Europe

It's 1630 and I make 100 gold out of trade alone, it's insane, but I want more. I picture Queen Anne Drake living in a palace of solid gold. Now I am gaining a foothold in India and one in molucca and I want those sweet Spice and chinaware but loving Ottomans are stealing it from gulf of Aden, I should get around to build a proper fleet of 100 trade ships

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Malacca is much easier to control than India, since you can direct it straight from there to Africa rather than having to hop all along the Indian nodes and through the Middle East. After I lock down the cape, I pretty much always go for Malacca next.

e: also 20 ships is nothing. click on the trade window for the ivory coast and look at the trade power breakdown. by 1650 I'd usually have more on the order of a hundred or more ships in an essential node like that.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I would focus on SE Asia until you do have the ability to contest Aden - the direct route from Malacca to Zanzibar prevents all of the Indian/Persian/Arabian nations from leeching. As you take more of India and stick a big fleet on Aden you can then let the trade flow from Malacca to Bengal and on from there through instead of going straight to Zanzibar, amplifying it further.

I'd also try to get substantially higher than 45% in Ivory Coast before worrying about Aden.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Koramei posted:

e: also 20 ships is nothing. click on the trade window for the ivory coast and look at the trade power breakdown. by 1650 I'd usually have more on the order of a hundred or more ships in an essential node like that.

Yeah I know, had an university building spree so I neglected my fleet. Onto it now! Britannia rules the waves!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Apparently France and Castile expected gains out of my independence war as Naples and now they are mad at me. :saddowns:

Oh well, as long as the Ottomans don't hit me with a brick I'm probably okay for the moment.

I wasn't able to get Sicily, which could be a Problem, but I did grab Malta and Sardinia. So I have a springboard into a couple extra regions if I want it.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 29, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There really needs to be some sort of "cannot meaningfully contribute to the war" modifier for both answering a CTA and for negotiating white peace. I hate getting stuck in a war for up to 5 years because my primary target called in some shithole OPM halfway around the world.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

You don't get AE with the Ottomans when you attack them? Now that Kilwa's Zanzibar provinces are taken I can probably eat them without anyone caring, but Hejaz and Ajuuran cause all kinds of problems still for me. Even the Indonesian teams want to coalition me.

The distance between SE Africa and Ottomans is so huge that you should only get a small amount of AE with Ottomans from conquering most of those countries, with the exception of Hejaz. Running a +Better Relations Over Time advisor can make a big difference, too, and should be enough to let you consolidate that entire region without pissing off Ottomans too much. But I also exploit the hell out of Reconquest CBs and that helps a lot, too

I'm just ignoring Hejaz for now, I have a Mountain fort blocking them on their side of the strait and that's it. Ottomans and I are taking turns eating Mamluks, and I'm gearing up to get either Russia or Poland on my side for a big war with Ottomans. I'm building a fleet of heavy ships as an insurance policy, in case any other great powers decide to intervene

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I've got 150-180 or so AE with the Otttomans, a beefy Persia, and the handful of Middle Eastern minors still alive, and that's with running the +33% Better Relations adviser for most of the game and having infinite Prestige (+50% Better Relations at 100 Prestige). It's sort of inevitable because most all of your expansion is against Sunni nations.

Influence might help, so would Religious as the Holy War CB is 75% AE vs. 100% AE for regular Conquest CB. You really don't need the conversion bonuses from Religious at all but it's effectively the same AE reduction as Influence.

In my position it's not that big of a deal since I was able to secure alliances with Spain, Austria, and Poland (all in a strong position) shortly after I got Mediterranean coastline. The Ottomans and others seem to randomly drift in and out of a coalition against me, I assume the AI is looking at my alliance strength and going "uh... nope." I did fight a couple coalition wars but I've literally never lost a fort and can hold my ground and rack up warscore easily. I also took Defensive, Quality, and Offensive ideas so I'm rolling around with 128% Discipline and all the other great bonuses. Bring it, punks :getin:

Ottomans are probably your only significant coalition threat so gently caress them up as soon as you can, annul their good alliances, and build a strong alliance of your own. AE is definitely something to keep an eye on doing Ethiopia but it's not that huge of a deal really.

e: this is where I would suggest Defensive over Quantity, Defensive is imo a better option at punching up against stronger nations like Ottomans, while Quantity certainly is better at expanding against basically everyone else you're fighting. My expansion into SE Asia has been really slow because I colonized most of Ivory Coast like an idiot (don't do this, get the Cape and then focus on SE Asia) and haven't had the forcelimits until recently to maintain large enough armies in both the Middle East and SE Asia.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 30, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pellisworth posted:

e: this is where I would suggest Defensive over Quantity, Defensive is imo a better option at punching up against stronger nations like Ottomans, while Quantity certainly is better at expanding against basically everyone else you're fighting. My expansion into SE Asia has been really slow because I colonized most of Ivory Coast like an idiot (don't do this, get the Cape and then focus on SE Asia) and haven't had the forcelimits until recently to maintain large enough armies in both the Middle East and SE Asia.

All the talk about quantity as a first idea makes me cringe a bit. Quantity definitely is convenient, and Ethiopa can make use of it, expanding against lots of people at once, but wait until you have you 5.0 morale army vs a 7.0 morale army and then you might think twice. Sure, if you're making a poo poo ton of money and can afford lots of mercs it's fine. I am not discouraging its use for Ethiopia, I just remember always taking quantity first when I first started playing the game and how much of a revolution it was switching to defensive (or sometimes offensive) first.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

That and Defensive is funny on Ethiopia because it's more fort defence AND bonus attrition. The cheaper troops and bonus to morale are also good for early game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
wow, i was totally wrong. catching up on institutions is brutal as hell, it's as bad as back when you had to westernize repeatedly back in eu3. this partially may be my lovely monarchs coming into play, but it feels like you're constantly scrambling to catch up to the west as a non-western country; every time you figure out one institution, they come up with two more! i love it.

this just makes me really wish that there was wasteland between finland and sweden/norway.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

this just makes me really wish that there was wasteland between finland and sweden/norway.
It's called "Norrland".

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ofaloaf posted:

It's called "Norrland".

i'd be unironically fine with that

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tsyni posted:

All the talk about quantity as a first idea makes me cringe a bit. Quantity definitely is convenient, and Ethiopa can make use of it, expanding against lots of people at once, but wait until you have you 5.0 morale army vs a 7.0 morale army and then you might think twice. Sure, if you're making a poo poo ton of money and can afford lots of mercs it's fine. I am not discouraging its use for Ethiopia, I just remember always taking quantity first when I first started playing the game and how much of a revolution it was switching to defensive (or sometimes offensive) first.

Those are my feelings as well. I took Defensive as Ethiopia, and I definitely haven't regretted it. Quantity might have been an okay choice, but I don't think that I'd be doing as well; I have enough income to run a lot of mercenaries and my war spoils allow me to build +force limit buildings all over the place, so it's like I bought the benefits of Quantity with blood money anyway.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't agree, 50%+ force limit is a hell of a lot to make up and if you're spending your money on buildings for that (those are expensive buildings, too), you're not spending it on other things that could give you more of a lead in the end. I don't think quantity is a good universal pick like I once did, but Ethiopia's in a position to take extremely good advantage of it- some of the worst land in the game, but access to oodles of trade income. Army size affects a hell of a lot of things in this game beyond the wars themselves, it makes it a lot easier to snag alliances with the European powers to help you beat up on the Ottomans, for instance, and also to dissuade them from attacking you until you're ready. Defensive also forces you to grind things out a lot more, whereas with quantity you can potentially have the numbers to take the initiative.

speaking of:

:q:

I'd done most of offensive too by the time I triggered the war (1615) to be fair, which helped a lot on their forts. Still a pretty big grind, but it only took one showdown war; Constantinople + releasing Armenia is just something like 65% war score, so I only had to carve my way through Anatolia.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
This was admittedly a while ago in expansion terms, but the final boss of my Prester John run was

Omega Lithuania, who broke free of Poland early and then proceeded to devour everything in their path up until the Final War.

Russia never even got off the ground, Sweden and Poland made a valiant effort but ultimately their biomass was converted into more Lithuanians.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Koramei posted:

I don't agree, 50%+ force limit is a hell of a lot to make up and if you're spending your money on buildings for that (those are expensive buildings, too), you're not spending it on other things that could give you more of a lead in the end. I don't think quantity is a good universal pick like I once did, but Ethiopia's in a position to take extremely good advantage of it- some of the worst land in the game, but access to oodles of trade income. Army size affects a hell of a lot of things in this game beyond the wars themselves, it makes it a lot easier to snag alliances with the European powers to help you beat up on the Ottomans, for instance, and also to dissuade them from attacking you until you're ready. Defensive also forces you to grind things out a lot more, whereas with quantity you can potentially have the numbers to take the initiative.

speaking of:

:q:

I'd done most of offensive too by the time I triggered the war (1615) to be fair, which helped a lot on their forts. Still a pretty big grind, but it only took one showdown war; Constantinople + releasing Armenia is just something like 65% war score, so I only had to carve my way through Anatolia.

No one's saying that Quantity is a bad idea, but I feel like you're downplaying the effectiveness of higher-pip generals combined with what is basically a +20% morale bonus (when you include the benefits of having higher passive army tradition). The fact that a Defensive army is smaller actually means that you're even more easily able to afford +force limit buildings with all of the trade income that you mentioned, which covers some of the force limit gap.

I'm not sure why you think that running a sleek, efficient army of professional soldiers is grindier than literally feeding fresh bodies into a huge meat grinder of a battle

The +attrition to enemies bonus and the fort defense bonus are really just gravy, they're not why you take Defensive.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Don't undervalue Morale. Morale wins battles.

Fister Roboto posted:

There really needs to be some sort of "cannot meaningfully contribute to the war" modifier for both answering a CTA and for negotiating white peace. I hate getting stuck in a war for up to 5 years because my primary target called in some shithole OPM halfway around the world.

Yeah this is kind of dumb and has been for a long time. I feel like if an ally hasn't participated in a battle, siege, or whatever for a year or so they shouldn't count as an ally for negotiating peaces. It's annoying to declare on a small nation and then be forced to sit around for 5 years because they have an ally who can't participate and I as the player can't reach. Yes, I'm sure your OPM buddy without military access is going to save you, better hold out for 5 years!

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 30, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

Don't undervalue Morale. Morale wins battles.

No kidding. I just raqe-quit on my post-patch Ottoman game. I was the number one great power. I couldn't even declare rivals, I was so far ahead of everyone else. Literally every country on the planet would accede to my demands if I wanted. But then I got into a war with loving France, and they proceeded to push my poo poo in with their 7.5 morale to my 5.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I did have a game once, where my troops had tons of morale, but crap stats otherwise. I don't recall who I was, but I distinctly remember France engaging my army, which had such an unbreakable spirit, that every last man was killed. No attempt at escape, and they ended up doing minimal damage to the French. Whoops.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Apparently now Spain has a ruler of my same dynasty, or at least they will once he's 16.

Can I exploit this somehow? If I could pu them or something I will be utterly unstoppable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Does the Netherlands Independance like to break or something? After the peace deal it turns out they were allies with Austria, England, and The Ottomans, which would have been a hell of a war.

• Locked thread