Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I get that R1 spam with straight swords (and I'd add katanas, since most users of those I've seen spam) is bad, but I think the souls game have always had issues with that. DS3 is just worse than the others because the speed of the combat and the systems in the game seem to encourage it. I'd say that holds true for many weapons, though, since I see most players spam the same spells/weapon arts/or attacks regardless of the weapons their using. Hell, people even spam parry, especially when using the caestus. In PvP it's annoying but can be fairly easy to parry, if you don't get screwed by weird the game's hit boxes, and in PvE it's not really new since all of the souls games have paths of least resistance for players that needed/wanted them. I do agree, though, that a lot of the stuff in DS3 feels "off" compared to its predecessors, including the way the game handles PvP in general. Dodging seems to be pretty strong in DS3, though, especially compared to to its predecessor. Probably why I've found it so easy to roll around with a Sabre/Avelyn combo even in PvP.

Also, as far as parrying is concerned, I think DS2 probably had the hardest parries since I couldn't really ever "click" with the mechanics behind them in that game. On the other hand, I've had no real problems in DS1/BB/DS3. I can even land parries in duels pretty regularly on players in DS3.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i always play a slow 2hand guy and i didn't run by poo poo. you gotta be good about abusing ai/kiting/pulling etc.

the dlc last boss was cool but i don't think it needed phase 3 (and i actually died cuz i minimized after phase 2 thinking it was over). i didn't realize there was a summon that trivialized the second phase until after i beat the dlc so now it makes sense there's a third phase but still some of us got good and beat all bosses solo.

I always thought two-handers were pretty easy to use in the Souls games. In 3, using them without shields probably requires a bit more timing, but in my experience it isn't uncommon to see people running the GS/UGS alone. I could imagine it being a difficult weapon type to use on the Brothers or the Nameless King though. Then again, I see more people "two-handing" weapons in general in DS3 so that just might be part of it.

And while I generally try to avoid summoning, I enjoy finding and working with the NPCs. I did it more in 2 since there were more of them - and they were more fun to fight with - but DS3 has some cool ones too. Sort of makes me feel like I'm engaging with the world more, as silly as that may be. (They also gate at least one trophy behind summoning NPCs in DS3). Some bosses in these games, though, should always be done alone - like Alonne or the Nameless King!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

As a watchdog I invaded Ninja Brian and his white phantom Danny Sexbang, and a red phantom triggered a blue phantom named Guts that had the great sword ultra great sword.

Kind of wish I recorded that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i want another bloodborne in the worst way after that dlc.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Your Computer posted:

Even shields suffer a bit in this game, tbh. There are so many enemies and bosses that have 4, 5 or even 6 hit combos and the only real way to get out of it is to interrupt it.

I'd argue that shields were possibly done best in ds3. They work if really well if you treat them like baby's first parry in that you only hold up the shield during the moment the attack is supposed to connect. Unlike parrying there's no penalty for early mistiming and there's no limited parry window - just hold down the button for as long as needed. If you use your shield like that your stamina will regen between attacks so your guard won't break and it'll leave you with green to spare for any kind of follow up. In previous entries you could turtle a bit too easily just by holding down the button and either circle strafing/inching back but in ds3 shield use requires a bit more involvement because of increased stamina consumption.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Man I never even got to blood borne

It would be neat if there was a souls style game centered around invasions. I think the weakest part of the mechanic is that it's some rear end in a top hat interrupting your single player game. I rarely run around embered because I don't want to lose it. But if there was a game where you keep rerunning places and other players pop in for cat and mouse that could be pretty cool.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Wow this is poo poo I kill the phantoms as a blue sentinel and get the duty fulfilled screen but no proof of concord kept.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

I'd argue that shields were possibly done best in ds3. They work if really well if you treat them like baby's first parry in that you only hold up the shield during the moment the attack is supposed to connect. Unlike parrying there's no penalty for early mistiming and there's no limited parry window - just hold down the button for as long as needed. If you use your shield like that your stamina will regen between attacks so your guard won't break and it'll leave you with green to spare for any kind of follow up. In previous entries you could turtle a bit too easily just by holding down the button and either circle strafing/inching back but in ds3 shield use requires a bit more involvement because of increased stamina consumption.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with shields in DS3. They're just way "weaker" than they used to be in DS1/2 (where it was essentially easy mode, especially certain greatshields) :v:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 30, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Will the sorcery guy stay outside the sage area if I never talk to him?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait there's an actual thing called the Dark Soul? :psyduck:

I don't really follow lore stuff.

Yeah, remember the DS1 intro? Gwyn, the Witch, and Nito all got a lord soul which made them super swole and sexy (Nito :swoon:) but the Pygmy got the Dark Soul instead. It didn't have any fantabulous powers on its own but it was unique in that , rather than being a massive store of power that could be divided into smaller pieces, as we see done with Gwyn's soul, it's a single soul that is duplicated in every one of the Pygmy's descendants, which are all of humanity. The Dark Souls is Humanity, the black goopy stuff.

Nephthys posted:

I don't really understand how Gael could bring her the Dark Soul though, since it was split up among all of humanity.

I mean I'd assume that just means bringing her Humanity, the item, and it's not meant as a hook for the second DLC.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I read human dregs is supposed to be humanity, the item

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I have an easier time with great weapons than most weapon types because my playstyle is very dodgy, and if I'm only going to have the time for one attack before I have to dodge again I'd prefer it be a big heavy one that'll stun the enemy I'm attacking. Great weapons to me equal a shorter fight which equals less time for mistakes to happen.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Whenever I try a not heavy weapon and I fail to kill a guy in one stamina bar without refresh I wonder if the weapon is bad. Im really bad at extended fights in pve

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I have an easier time with great weapons than most weapon types because my playstyle is very dodgy, and if I'm only going to have the time for one attack before I have to dodge again I'd prefer it be a big heavy one that'll stun the enemy I'm attacking. Great weapons to me equal a shorter fight which equals less time for mistakes to happen.

That's why straight swords are so powerful in DS3 though, they take 1/3 of the time to swing and they'll stun the enemy just as much as your two-handed boulder on a stick. It's pretty dumb, but I guess they changed enemy Poise too. In a lot of fights/against a lot of enemies the safest and easiest way is to literally keep them stunlocked (including bosses) by spamming R1 with a fast weapon. Sword & Board has always been powerful in the Souls series, but in DS3 it does everything a slow twohander can and then some (although there are some cases where the bigger weapons excel). Daggers really suck in this game though, because they do poo poo damage and they can't stagger the enemy (something basically every other weapon type can) :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

friede is really easy with a big weapon since she staggers so easily and it's easier to hit her with something that has good reach, tho yea most of the time it seems like a longsword is just better

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

friede is really easy with a big weapon since she staggers so easily and it's easier to hit her with something that has good reach, tho yea most of the time it seems like a longsword is just better

I don't know, I was trying to kill her with the Dragonslayer Swordspear and had a difficult time getting in more than 1 attack at a time. After a few attempts I gave up and gave in to the Straight Sword, switched to my Lothric Knight Sword and straight up murdered her on my first attempt. I could stunlock her for a good 2-4 hits at a time and I could be a lot more aggressive (roll, attack, attack, attack) as well as interrupt her attacks whenever she tried to do a fancy combo. :v:

My big secret is that I've always loving loved Straight Swords in every Souls game anyway so I don't mind.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Your Computer posted:

That's why straight swords are so powerful in DS3 though, they take 1/3 of the time to swing and they'll stun the enemy just as much as your two-handed boulder on a stick. It's pretty dumb, but I guess they changed enemy Poise too. In a lot of fights/against a lot of enemies the safest and easiest way is to literally keep them stunlocked (including bosses) by spamming R1 with a fast weapon. Sword & Board has always been powerful in the Souls series, but in DS3 it does everything a slow twohander can and then some (although there are some cases where the bigger weapons excel). Daggers really suck in this game though, because they do poo poo damage and they can't stagger the enemy (something basically every other weapon type can) :(

Daggers and fist weapons got completely ruined in DS3 when they were both good in DS2, I can only assume someone on the dev team either just REALLY didn't understand how to make them good or actively hated the weapon types.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jose posted:

got a link to it? i've decided that i do want to play again for the DLC but want a sorcery + weapon build

don't want to use the dark sword though since i had that as an extra weapon last time

https://m.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4ii8lj/heres_a_list_of_all_weapons_that_gain_an_sa/

There you go. That guide is really useful for all kinds of elemental infusions that have scaling.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Two guys with heavy weapons just destroys friede. I've stun locked her each time. She jumps out quicker on stage 3

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

The vordt hammer is surprisingly good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Two guys with heavy weapons just destroys friede. I've stun locked her each time. She jumps out quicker on stage 3

Two guys with almost any weapon destroys like all bosses.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah phantoms real good. Except against the dragon slayer armor where everyone doesn't know how to dodge and get one shot

Do daggers and fists really not cause any stagger? Or is it just really lovely? Like how black knights will eat light weapon attacks all day and gently caress you up.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Two guys with almost any weapon destroys like all bosses.

Yeah. As much emphasis as the series puts on co-op, the AI has never been able to handle more than one person at a time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Do daggers and fists really not cause any stagger? Or is it just really lovely? Like how black knights will eat light weapon attacks all day and gently caress you up.

I'm sure there are some (probably small and probably naked) enemies you can stagger with fist weapons and daggers, but for 90% of the enemies in the game they straight up ignore your attacks. No stagger at all.

It means that you'll have to constantly dodge out of the way and can only attack during openings... and then you deal like 20 damage and cry a little.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 30, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah phantoms real good. Except against the dragon slayer armor where everyone doesn't know how to dodge and get one shot

Small weapons cause small stagger. They're fine for hollows and dogs and such but anything bigger will take a while to stun even once.

Your Computer posted:

Yeah. As much emphasis as the series puts on co-op, the AI has never been able to handle more than one person at a time.

I wouldn't say the series has ever emphasize co-op. At least with other people. The enemies are much better balanced for NPC summons since they tend to have crap damage and act more as damage sinks/distractions. Or in DS2 they support you with spells and poo poo (that game had the best NPC summons). Summoning other people is pretty much there as a dev-sanctioned cheat, at least that's how I've always thought of it as.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Your Computer posted:

I'm sure there are some (probably small and probably naked) enemies you can stagger with fist weapons and daggers, but for 90% of the enemies in the game they straight up ignore your attacks. No stagger at all.

It means that you'll have to constantly dodge out of the way and can only attack during openings... and then you deal like 20 damage and cry a little.

Let's make a combo based weapon that requires stringing together a lot of smaller attacks and that has piss-poor range and then make it actually impossible to land more than one of those attacks before having to retreat!

Why is no one using these weapons?!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
whoa I just went into ng+ on ds2 and the game is totally different, weird that ds3 reverted from this because it's kind of a shock

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Would that not be a problem in PvP?

Also the enemies in 3 still catch me by surprise for how much they attack. They never let up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

whoa I just went into ng+ on ds2 and the game is totally different, weird that ds3 reverted from this because it's kind of a shock

I'd say it's less "reverted" and more "cut from existence." The fact that Profaned Capital is completely unfinished leads me to think there were big development hiccups somewhere along the way, or just an immense amount of pressure to get the game out in a very short timeframe.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

I wouldn't say the series has ever emphasize co-op. At least with other people. The enemies are much better balanced for NPC summons since they tend to have crap damage and act more as damage sinks/distractions. Or in DS2 they support you with spells and poo poo (that game had the best NPC summons). Summoning other people is pretty much there as a dev-sanctioned cheat, at least that's how I've always thought of it as.

It's absolutely genius as a "dev-sanctioned cheat" like you say, and you might be right that the emphasis has been more from the players themselves (what with praising the sun and all) than from Fromsoft. That said, covenants are a pretty prominent feature of the game and 90% of them deal with multiplayer (co-op, PvP, co-op against PvP, etc.) and I've seen a lot of people who legitimately considers Souls to be "co-op games".

Also thanks for reminding me how cool NPC phantoms were in DS2 you jerk :mad: So many neat summons and invasions.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 30, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Souls is very much a co-op and PVP-centric game, that element is deeply ingrained in the series' DNA and the entire PVE aspect is balanced around it.

It's just not very good at it, though it's still tons of fun. Here's hoping the next Souls successor goes the Dragon's Dogma route and keeps online strictly asynchronous so they can worry about how PVE plays first and foremost.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I'm getting around to replacing the game since the dlc came out. Last play through a few months ago, I used the dark sword. This time around I want to try using Farron flashsword and a few other spells.

Any idea on how to set up this type of character, and what equipment to roll with? Crown of Dusk, sage ring, magic clutch ring, I know, but not sure what else?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Souls is very much a co-op and PVP-centric game, that element is deeply ingrained in the series' DNA and the entire PVE aspect is balanced around it.

It's just not very good at it, though it's still tons of fun. Here's hoping the next Souls successor goes the Dragon's Dogma route and keeps online strictly asynchronous so they can worry about how PVE plays first and foremost.

I'd like to see a game take the other direction and actually be 100% intended for co-op play within a dark souls style engine, wherein the encounter design and enemy movesets/tactics are specifically designed to handle taking on a group of players because that is the expectation. I want a souls-like that doesn't become easy-mode if you co-op.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

With dodge rolling the way it is in 3 (and how aggressive and long enemy attacks are) pve seems to dictate balance. I don't think anyone thought it was a good for PvP to have 12 dodge rolls in a row instead of 6.
I hope they go in the opposite direction, like I said earlier, and incorporate PvP more into the main experience

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Vermain posted:

I'd say it's less "reverted" and more "cut from existence." The fact that Profaned Capital is completely unfinished leads me to think there were big development hiccups somewhere along the way, or just an immense amount of pressure to get the game out in a very short timeframe.

i think it's pretty clear that all dark souls games are games where the devs' reach exceeded their grasp.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the game is randomly freezing for a second a few times in a row then stops on PC. whats causing it?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

I'd like to see a game take the other direction and actually be 100% intended for co-op play within a dark souls style engine, wherein the encounter design and enemy movesets/tactics are specifically designed to handle taking on a group of players because that is the expectation. I want a souls-like that doesn't become easy-mode if you co-op.

That would be awesome. A game that is intended to be a 2-4 person co-oping throughout it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jose posted:

the game is randomly freezing for a second a few times in a row then stops on PC. whats causing it?

connection issues. i have a lovely router and my wifi will hiccup a lot and i've been getting this issue a ton.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i played bloodborne offline as i wasn't paying a goddamn subscription to play games online in 2014 and it made the experience so much better. there's something about being totally alone in a cosmic horrorshow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mastershakeman posted:

connection issues. i have a lovely router and my wifi will hiccup a lot and i've been getting this issue a ton.

really? i didn't have problems the first time i played except the graphics some times causing problems but i've upgraded my graphics card since then

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Azuth0667 posted:

That would be awesome. A game that is intended to be a 2-4 person co-oping throughout it.

To add to that, unless specifically choosing to co-op with someone via say a password system, any time that there is not active combat, it could shuffle around who you are co-opping with to anyone also in roughly the same spot as you who is not in combat and there is no explicit phantom summoning. You have a rotating cast of other people that will fade in and out if you haven't explicitly chosen otherwise. I think it could be neat. It'd make the co-op much more spontaneous and dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

To add to that, unless specifically choosing to co-op with someone via say a password system, any time that there is not active combat, it could shuffle around who you are co-opping with to anyone also in roughly the same spot as you who is not in combat and there is no explicit phantom summoning. You have a rotating cast of other people that will fade in and out if you haven't explicitly chosen otherwise. I think it could be neat. It'd make the co-op much more spontaneous and dynamic.

Add NPCs for offline play and no loving stupid console exclusive and I'm sold on it.