Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Long time since posting here but I've had this rig for 6 months now:

and now I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card since the latest games I'm into are a bit more demanding... So this is my planned upgrade:

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137054

I can't find any forseeable issues and the price is very right for my budget but thought I'd share in here just in case someone had a better idea.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
My computer is prone to having the CPU overheat and then lock up when running certain CPU-intensive programs. After running Speedfan I can see that while the system is otherwise cool the CPU gets up to 70 and then the machine locks (apparently there's a safety mechanism where the chip just stops after getting to 70 to prevent damage).

I got a big heatsink to replace the one that came with the chip and installed it and it seems have helped a little bit but I can still trigger the problem. What else could I do that might help?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

H13 posted:

This is the part where I mention that Devin Townsend is my idol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvCwvfGJq_k

In reality, I can only play\record bass and guitar. So everything is a virtual instrument. That poo poo adds up amazingly quickly. Especially when you (poorly) add mastering plugins.

ok, yep. :ms:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Action-Bastard posted:

and now I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card since the latest games I'm into are a bit more demanding... So this is my planned upgrade:

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

I can't find any forseeable issues and the price is very right for my budget but thought I'd share in here just in case someone had a better idea.

Thanks

The 1050 Ti is okay (a huge upgrade from a 730, at any rate) but I wouldn't pay more than you absolutely have to for one. To wit, $145.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Action-Bastard posted:

MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Thanks

Newegg has a $25 off $200 code going at the moment (contingent on using MasterPass) - you can get the single-fan EVGA 6GB 1060 for only $40 more than that 1050Ti after rebate, but if money's really tight, the initial difference is $60. That's not insignificant if you're living week to week.

Also, Newegg has a lesser-known $15 off $100 if you pay with Android Pay at the moment, which will shave a bit more off that 1050Ti: http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/16-6810/

The $15 off $100 expires tomorrow, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 30, 2016

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

My computer is prone to having the CPU overheat and then lock up when running certain CPU-intensive programs. After running Speedfan I can see that while the system is otherwise cool the CPU gets up to 70 and then the machine locks (apparently there's a safety mechanism where the chip just stops after getting to 70 to prevent damage).

I got a big heatsink to replace the one that came with the chip and installed it and it seems have helped a little bit but I can still trigger the problem. What else could I do that might help?

Repaste it and make sure the CPU fan is getting up to speed.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

betamax hipster posted:

Repaste it and make sure the CPU fan is getting up to speed.

How often do I need to re-do the thermal paste for the CPU?

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
In my new comp I want to start with a new SSD. I think Kingston is reliable?

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=096859

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Sandisk and Samsung are the brands to buy if you can help it. Here's a good Sandisk one that's only a little more expensive. ($180)

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 30, 2016

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hello thread. I'm in the U.S. and I am due for an upgrade on my gaming PC. I think that my weak area is my CPU but I'm not 100% on that. I do know that I'm gonna grab a new GPU on Black Friday/Cyber Monday or whatever because I give my old parts to my nephew to tinker with and upgrade his own system. Uhm, my resolution is 1920 x 1080 and I have a mix of SATA and SSD. Here is my comp:

CPU: i5-4570 @3.2
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 16gigs
MOBO: ASRock B85M Pro4 (CPUSocket)

My question is: What pops out as needing an immediate upgrade?

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
^^^^^^^^ That is pretty much my exact system down to the mobo. I'd be curious if there's any need for an upgrade as well.

My current PSU is the XFX 650W XXX and according to my purchase history, I've had it since summer (probably around June) of 2013. When, if ever, should I replace my PSU? I recall hearing somewhere between 3-5 years?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm planning on putting together a HTPC / living room internet browser with Windows 10.

Will I need an i3-6100 to be able to stream 4k without a GPU? Or would an older/cheaper CPU do the job?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Ryuga Death posted:

^^^^^^^^ That is pretty much my exact system down to the mobo. I'd be curious if there's any need for an upgrade as well.

My current PSU is the XFX 650W XXX and according to my purchase history, I've had it since summer (probably around June) of 2013. When, if ever, should I replace my PSU? I recall hearing somewhere between 3-5 years?

The thread's wisdom is 5 years or the warranty period, whichever is longer. Decent, high-end PSUs are offering 7-10 year warranties now. 3 years, no way, unless it was a piece of poo poo that shouldn't have been purchased in the first place.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hello thread. I'm in the U.S. and I am due for an upgrade on my gaming PC. I think that my weak area is my CPU but I'm not 100% on that. I do know that I'm gonna grab a new GPU on Black Friday/Cyber Monday or whatever because I give my old parts to my nephew to tinker with and upgrade his own system. Uhm, my resolution is 1920 x 1080 and I have a mix of SATA and SSD. Here is my comp:

Ryuga Death posted:

If you don't feel like you're getting unacceptable performance in new games, you don't need an upgrade. Good rule of thumb in general, and you can salt it with your own definition of "unacceptable performance". I don't think there's anything the 970 can't run on medium-high 1080p yet so if that's dandy for you then keep on truckin'.

If you do want an upgrade, a 1070 (or 1080 if you're made of money) and a nice 1440p monitor would be a good choice. You're unlikely to need a CPU upgrade for a good while, I'd try to ride out the 4570 until 2018 when it's rumored that Intel is going to put out mainstream hexacores.

As for your PSU Ryuga Death, it's generally a good idea to replace PSUs when their warranty ends. If I'm looking yours up correctly it has a 5 year warranty and decent reviews so you can probably hold onto it for a while still.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Glenn Quebec posted:

Nothing pops out, honestly. Is there some specific performance target you're looking for, like a certain new game running slowly?

Ryuga Death posted:

A PSU's service life is exactly its warranty period. It'll run longer, but it's not worth it to risk it going kablooie and bringing down the rest of your parts with it without recourse. It looks like that has a 5 year warranty, so you're good for a while.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Honestly, in some newer games I just get some slowdown and jankiness. BF1 stands out in mind but there have been a few others. I just got this monitor so, it feels silly to change it up so soon. Its a bad purchase as GSYNC became a thing and apparently its dope.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Glenn Quebec posted:

Honestly, in some newer games I just get some slowdown and jankiness. BF1 stands out in mind but there have been a few others. I just got this monitor so, it feels silly to change it up so soon. Its a bad purchase as GSYNC became a thing and apparently its dope.
I've seen a few people come into the thread with trouble running BF1 on solid systems. Does anyone know if there's a reason for that, like does the game have weird performance issues? Does it still have that insane resolution scaling option from the beta where 42% is native? Benchmarks don't seem to gel with people's experience, if they're accurate a 4570/970 system should never drop below 60 on ultra 1080p.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

At 1600x900, going from a GTX 460 to a 1050Ti is going to feel like a monumental jump. That being said, the 1050Ti is a card mostly made for 1080p, so later down the line you'll want to snag one of those. ASUS' IPS 1080p monitors are ~$120-150 on sale now.

Yeah it's pretty amazing I was able to crank it up to Ultra on B1 and had no frame issues. Also temp was safe on both the cpu and gpu.

I'd love the monitor upgrade. My wife has two 1080ps but she uses it for a lot of spreadsheet work so while I could switch them I'm feel like a dick for doing so since the larger monitors are to reduce eyestrain.

Actually the monitors we use are AOC ones I got at microcenter and totally functional...but are there better ones for reducing eyestrain?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

gfanikf posted:

Yeah it's pretty amazing I was able to crank it up to Ultra on B1 and had no frame issues. Also temp was safe on both the cpu and gpu.

I'd love the monitor upgrade. My wife has two 1080ps but she uses it for a lot of spreadsheet work so while I could switch them I'm feel like a dick for doing so since the larger monitors are to reduce eyestrain.

Actually the monitors we use are AOC ones I got at microcenter and totally functional...but are there better ones for reducing eyestrain?

Reducing eyestrain has a lot more to do with minimizing monitor brightness and making sure you have good ambient lighting and stuff like that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Anyone know if the beQuiet Dark Base 900 still has the front panel problem where it comes lose by itself, if you lift the case?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Is there a dedicated HDD thread? I haven't been able to find one. In need of a new HDD, or well, "need". I've had the same 1TB Hitatchi HDD since 2009 and I feel like it will implode any day now. I have a 250 gb ssd with windows on it so if it dies my entire system won't go down but I was thinking of getting a 2TB+ drive and put Linux on one part of it for Uni work. Any recommended brands? I'm very happy with my Hitatchi drive but they don't make HDDs anymore. Western Digital seems like a good brand from what I can gather and Seagate is to be avoided at all costs.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the info on the PSU, thread. Helpful as always.

HMS Boromir posted:

If you don't feel like you're getting unacceptable performance in new games, you don't need an upgrade. Good rule of thumb in general, and you can salt it with your own definition of "unacceptable performance". I don't think there's anything the 970 can't run on medium-high 1080p yet so if that's dandy for you then keep on truckin'.

If you do want an upgrade, a 1070 (or 1080 if you're made of money) and a nice 1440p monitor would be a good choice. You're unlikely to need a CPU upgrade for a good while, I'd try to ride out the 4570 until 2018 when it's rumored that Intel is going to put out mainstream hexacores.

As for your PSU Ryuga Death, it's generally a good idea to replace PSUs when their warranty ends. If I'm looking yours up correctly it has a 5 year warranty and decent reviews so you can probably hold onto it for a while still.

I have a dual monitor set up with two 27 inch monitors but I only play games on one. The other monitor is used for other things (monitoring things or having a video play there, etc). I sometimes wonder if my 970 isn't strong enough to handle this but it seems fine so far? I don't know, I'm not good with hardware and what to expect from them.

Regarding the 1440p monitor, I'd need to upgrade from using HDMI to DisplayPort for that, right? I don't know how well that would work considering I currently rely on HDMI for both audio and video from my PC (since my PC is connected to a audio/video receiver which then connects to the monitor all through HDMI), the second monitor is connected just using DVI. Would it be possible to use both HDMI and DisplayPort? If so, would it screw up my performance if one of the monitors was in 1440p resolution while the other was in 1080p?

Then again, I don't know how pricey 1440p monitors are these days. Thanks for the info on the CPU, makes me feel good that I won't have to bother with a mobo/CPU switch for a while unless something bad happens. I'll switch out my PSU in 2018, then.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Torabi posted:

Is there a dedicated HDD thread? I haven't been able to find one. In need of a new HDD, or well, "need". I've had the same 1TB Hitatchi HDD since 2009 and I feel like it will implode any day now. I have a 250 gb ssd with windows on it so if it dies my entire system won't go down but I was thinking of getting a 2TB+ drive and put Linux on one part of it for Uni work. Any recommended brands? I'm very happy with my Hitatchi drive but they don't make HDDs anymore. Western Digital seems like a good brand from what I can gather and Seagate is to be avoided at all costs.

Hitachi still make drives (HGST), and are regarded as one of the if not the most reliable drive manufacturers. Recommended. They're technically owned by WD, but I believe they use separate facilities, and in any case are appreciably more reliable than WD in backblaze's reports.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Hitachi still make drives (HGST), and are regarded as one of the if not the most reliable drive manufacturers. Recommended. They're technically owned by WD, but I believe they use separate facilities, and in any case are appreciably more reliable than WD in backblaze's reports.

Oh, nice. I didn't realize their name changed (or rather, abbreviated). Might get one of those then, but all I can find right now are NAS drives. But I'll keep looking.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Torabi posted:

Western digital Black or Blue series if you're going to run software off the drive. They're super cheap.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

Western digital Black or Blue series if you're going to run software off the drive. They're super cheap.

The blue ones all seem to be weird "low power" drives which doesn't seem ideal. But might get a WD Black since it is quite a bit cheaper than a HGST 2TB drive. $166 vs $221. I say this every time I start looking for hardware but, loving Sweden. They raise the prices because we have to pay a bullshit "piracy" tax since it is assumed everyone with a hard drive pirates. The kicker is that the tax goes to a private corporation that has no government affiliation. :downs:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

gfanikf posted:

VelociBacon posted:

Reducing eyestrain has a lot more to do with minimizing monitor brightness and making sure you have good ambient lighting and stuff like that.

f.lux & bias lightning took me from regular eyestrain to none at all. YMMV
Also reduce brightness to the lowest it goes before you lose colours or contrast. This can take a bit of tweaking but most monitors run at least a third higher than they need to be out of the box.

Joe_Strummer
Jul 1, 2007
Bring out the banners of Stalingrad

Actuarial Fables posted:

Besides missing a CPU cooler, the parts you have picked out will work together...

...but for 10+ years...

1. Where do you plan to keep this computer? That tower is huge. I got it for my first build, I regret it. A mid-tower will fit all your components no problem, it'll probably be cheaper, and will take up less floor/desk space. Maybe even think about going down to a mATX case & motherboard. Don't live with a mistake for 10 years.

2. What are your plans for SQL and R Studio - do you plan on using them a lot more or will it just amount to just testing stuff out and dropping them in a few weeks? You've picked out an expensive cpu/motherboard that eats up a large chunk of a 1k budget. It's fun to have powerful parts, but if all you're doing is using the computer to browse the web/play "1080p/60fps" games 99% of the time then why spend the extra money? A 6600k/6700k processor and a z170 motherboard may likely be right for you.

3. Recent overclockable CPUs do not come with a CPU cooler, you will have to buy an aftermarket cooler. The CPU you picked out is a hefty 140W to cool at stock speeds, and it's only going to get worse when you overclock it.

4. You'll probably want to do some overclocking to keep the machine punching after 10 years. Overclocking not only goes for the CPU, but also the RAM. Pick out some 3000/3200 speed RAM sticks. If going with the x99 motherboard, get 4 sticks instead of 2 to take advantage of the quad channel.

5. The GTX 970 is a generation old, look for a 1060 6gb - should be around the same price, but it's closer in performance to a 980 with more RAM. Your TV is probably has a 1080 resolution, and the 1060 is the goto card for that. Even if your TV is 4k, you can downscale to 1080 and it won't look all that bad. 10 years is a long time for a card to hold its ground, but assuming it doesn't break it should handle future games at mid to low graphics settings.

6. Solid State Drives (SSD) are a thing now. They're one of the best components you can get to improve your computing experience, whether you're booting your computer, loading a program, browsing the web, or just trying to browse to a folder. For a 10 year drive, the Samsung 850 Pro will probably do you good, as the warranty is for that long. It is an expensive drive though, and you'll want a large capacity (1 tb) to last you 10 years. You can always add in a 2nd drive in the future if you find that 1tb isn't large enough. A large cheap HDD to store your music/movies/backups and a fast SSD to have your OS and programs on is what a lot of people do.

e. Please re-plan your computer usage so that it's more clear what you'd like to get out of this machine.

10 years is 1/8th of your life. Plan for your computer to last you 4 years, then decide what to do from there. You won't have to junk the whole thing if you want an upgrade, it's just a collection of parts slotted into each other. If you decide you want a beefier GPU down the line, or you want to add in another storage drive, no problem. That's part of the draw about building your own computer!

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ Use this!

Thanks for the reply! Also, apologies on how I structured my answer as I should have browsed beyond the OP to get a feel for how people are posting build lists. So big thanks on actually slogging through my shittily formatted post.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811853002 £32.99
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566&cm_re=z170-_-13-132-566-_-Product £127.99
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559 £270.99
Memory: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233831&ignorebbr=1 £65.99 X 4
Hard Drive(s):
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147360&cm_re=Samsung_850_Pro-_-20-147-360-_-Product £100.99
HDD: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178393 £188.99
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487088 £244.99
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438017 £98.99

I swapped out the original tower to put in a mid-tower, as per your warning/suggestion on the first tower. I thought bigger=safer in order to avoid the situation where I run out of room.

I've brought the cpu/motherboard down a level as, realistically, I will be playing some games a few days a week at the most and won't need cutting-edge quality to play Civ VI (I assume).

I've introduced a SSD to use in tandem with a cheaper/bigger HDD as I thought I could trim the budget by skirting SSD altogether, but it sounds like it would be worth it to splash out more on this than possibly any other component.

Would I still need a CPU cooler for the above?

Also, perhaps I was being unrealistic hoping to essentially future-proof my computer. Maybe it makes sense to down-scale other aspects of this and accept that a 3-5 year cycle is simply the right balance between quality/cost.

Joe_Strummer fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 30, 2016

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS

HMS Boromir posted:

Sandisk and Samsung are the brands to buy if you can help it. Here's a good Sandisk one that's only a little more expensive. ($180)

Thanks. That drive was not available anywhere in Ontario, so I bought this: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1229_1088&item_id=098747

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

gfanikf posted:

Yes, but there are also special "glasses" and lenses you can buy which filter out the harsh blue light from monitors. Other than that, BenQ monitors make a big deal about eye strain in their product line, and ASUS has embraced low-blue-light panels and "flicker-free" tech.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was looking up GTX 1070s and saw that there is this version which is similar to the 970 I have: link

MSI has been good to me so far, any reason why I shouldn't go with that MSI version of the 1070?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

As was the case with Serrath - there's just not a tremendous amount of logic in pairing a non-K Skylake chip with something as potent as a 1070, especially since you say this build's for "gaming." The reason for this is because a 1070 isn't capped by an overclocked Skylake - and it'll be sorely underutilized by a locked 6600 - you'll definitely feel the 'anemia' in a year or two's worth of time.

I've pretty much maxed out what I'd be willing to spend sans peripherals. I'm guessing I should also choose a different motherboard, and not just run a 6600K at 3.5 GHz, even though that would still be better than the 3.3 GHz 6600. Overclocking also brings cooling concerns, and I chose a pretty small case.

Maybe a 1060 would let me do what I want, which is run GTA V at my chosen resolution with everything cranked up to max (except AA maybe) with a 60+ fps average. I don't know yet what my chosen resolution is though, just that I don't play to be playing games like that at 4k. I don't know of any way to evaluate whether I want higher resolution or refresh rate aside from maybe going to my local Best Buy, and I'd be surprised if they had anything other than 1080p60Hz panels on display.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

i7-6900k vs i7-6700k for video editing... Is the price on the i7-6900k worth it over the performance?

My friend is interested in building a rig for 4k video editing. He has this so far, and would welcome feedback. Based on his budget and needs, I feel like the 6700k would be a better value proposition. Also, can anyone comment about doing an external RAID setup for video editing vs an internal?

He uses Avid for editing.

Friend posted:

I am looking to buy a 4k editing compatible computer through the next couple months by picking up parts as they go on sale for the holidays. Id also like to use this for some gaming but it is not the main use for the computer and I am not looking to spend extra for gaming components. The CPU and video card are specifically chosen based on information from the logical increments article. The motherboard choice is made based on the extremely limited number of thunderbolt 3 compatible motherboards (attached list.) Id be open to anything on this list that seems to fit my bill.

Also of note, I chose an SSD for system information and base editing software access. The second hard drive meets the base standards (7200 rpm) for editing video off of locally while not costing an arm and a leg. Id be open to other option that fit this bill or better and dont break the bank. I am intending to buy an external RAID-5 or RAID-10 enclosure that would contain several other (3-5) 7200 rpm hard drives so I am open to discussion on this second hard drive.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor ($1041.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($187.49)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($141.92 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($269.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($52.95 @ B&H)
Total: $2353.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 16:14 EDT-0400

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 30, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Glenn Quebec posted:

That's mine exactly too, and I don't feel it needs an upgrade. I'd spring for a fancy monitor, maybe? Then if that brings your framerate down, get a new gfx card.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 30, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

The Slack Lagoon posted:

i7-6900k vs i7-6700k for video editing... Is the price on the i7-6900k worth it over the performance?

My friend is interested in building a rig for 4k video editing. He has this so far, and would welcome feedback. Based on his budget and needs, I feel like the 6700k would be a better value proposition. Also, can anyone comment about doing an external RAID setup for video editing vs an internal?

For the price of the CPU cooler he could get a Noctua and not have to worry about a slow leak in the future. Also, a whole lot less finicky to install.

I can not, in good conscience, recommend closed loop liquid coolers to anyone based on my own close call. Oh, and the space between the radiator and fan is an extreme dust trap.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 30, 2016

ufarn
May 30, 2009

The Slack Lagoon posted:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6900K 3.2GHz 8-Core Processor ($1041.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($187.49)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($141.92 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card ($269.99 @ B&H)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($52.95 @ B&H)
Total: $2353.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 16:14 EDT-0400
If you can wait, the next generation of 7XXX are optimized for video and 4K. It's more important when it's a laptop, but still worth the wait if possible. Here's one of the first hits on Google about it.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I'm planning to move country, and i'm trying to decide what to do with my PC. Should I take it with me? Or sell it and use the money to partially finance a new one? I mostly use it for gaming and it seems to keep up alright, despite some older parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1
Memory: 16 GB Corsair XMS3 1333
Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 280X
Power Supply: Corsair VX550W

What would you recommend? Guess I haven't played any recent games but I haven't had any problems playing the likes of X-Com 2, Dark Souls 2, modded up Skyrim etc.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ufarn posted:

If you can wait, the next generation of 7XXX are optimized for video and 4K. It's more important when it's a laptop, but still worth the wait if possible. Here's one of the first hits on Google about it.

"Waiting" in this case means around two months, though (1/5/17, to be exact). The retailers understandably want to use Christmas to clear out their Skylake stock.

Pricing was just leaked for the 7xxx series, though - the 7700K (4.2GHz base/4.5GHz turbo) will go for $349 MSRP, and the 7600K (3.8/4.2) will go for $239. No details yet on "Kaby-X," which everyone is hoping will be the first CPU that'll routinely break the 5Ghz barrier without retarded measures to keep it stable.

There's also an interesting Pentium this time around, the G4620, which is a 3.8GHz dual core with hyperthreading. Might be useful in niche applications.

Disco De Soto posted:

I'm planning to move country, and i'm trying to decide what to do with my PC. Should I take it with me? Or sell it and use the money to partially finance a new one? I mostly use it for gaming and it seems to keep up alright, despite some older parts:

Believe it or not, you would get ~$100 for your 2500K on eBay, maybe even a touch more, because thanks to your P67 motherboard, you haven't overclocked it. That means for all intents and purposes, it's a 'slightly used' chip despite its age. The rest of the system has depreciated to practically scrap value, save the 280X, which could work as a placeholder GPU. Your PSU is also likely near the end of its viable service life, too.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 30, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there video cards that work with USB-C Thunderbolt 3 Monitors? I'm looking at a LG UltraFine and was wondering what the compatibility looks like with video cards.

Do they need some time of converter in general, or do TB3 video cards commonly exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ooze
Apr 21, 2007

:tipshat:
So I am really out of the loop when it comes to picking parts or building a computer in general. It's been about 7 years since I last looked at these things. But now I'm looking to build something to play some of the newer games with at 1080p. Here's what I came up with, I'd appreciate it if someone looked over this list and told me if it's any good, and made sure it's actually feasible. If there's anything I should add to this list or changes I should make... Anything at all.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.33 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($78.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.98 @ Directron)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1070 8GB JetStream Video Card
Case: Corsair Carbide 400Q ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $931.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-30 21:40 EDT-0400