Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

The timing of those fantastic Hirasawa pieces is kinda atrocious as good as the songs themselves are.

Yeah, sadly.
Direction issue like everything else though that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Awesome Welles posted:

It's funny that the only songs that are OK seem to be from the film trilogy

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Aria the only new Hirasawa song for the films?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Aria the only new Hirasawa song for the films?

They mean for the general OST.

Like you hear BLOOD AND GUTS AND BLOOD AND GUTS AND a couple of times.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Like you hear BLOOD AND GUTS AND BLOOD AND GUTS AND a couple of times.

That and the song from when Guts fights Bazuso in the first movie, just with some added guitars :effort:

Also I think the best example of how poorly the music was utilized was when Griffith finally makes his (re)appearance and it's some metal stuff lol

edit: I still feel the soundtrack from the films was good even if it's not as atmospheric as Hirasawa's was.

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 20, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't stress just how awful that poo poo was with Griffith. I've said it a hundred times and it isn't enough.
We know Ash Crow is going to play in the final episode. Ash Crow is ridiculously good. Griffith coming back to earth is ridiculously hype. You play Ash Crow when Griffith comes back for maximum hype, even in the abomination that is Berserk 2016 it would be great.

You don't play Ash Crow when Nina talks about doing a runner with Joachim. You play literally anything else because gently caress Nina.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skull Knight: There might be a way to cure Casca
[POWER CHORDS]
SK: If you take her to the Elfhelm of the Flowerstorm King
[LOUDER POWER CHORDS]
Guts: What, really?
[EVEN LOUDER POWER CHORDS]
SK: But what you want and what she wants might not be the same...
[BLISTERING GUITAR SOLO]

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Oh poo poo now I have to watch this poo poo to analyze how bad the music timing choices actually are... and I basically am the worst auditory learner/communicator. On the other hand, I seem to be well tuned to the areas of Berserk that are very psychological, depressive, revelatory, and subversive, so I can probably at least identify mismatched noise.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I'm going to posit that it isn't worth your time to deconstruct just how lovely something is, especially when it is something with so few redeeming qualities.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm going to posit that it isn't worth your time to deconstruct just how lovely something is, especially when it is something with so few redeeming qualities.
Then let's go back to deconstructing something nonshitty, like Berserk. Yay!

We have a few months before the next page appears, apparently, so we should just pick a random chapter each week and tear it apart. :buddy:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i think that miura was full of loving poo poo when he said that he never heard of götz von berlichingen

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Congratulations on having an opinion :golfclap:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I think that Gottfried "Götz" von Berlichingen was full of loving poo poo when he said that he had never heard of Guts.

So was Marcus Sergius.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Now I'm wanting for stories that at least one of these, dare I say it, "Iron Fist" guys actually backhanded anyone with their metal clanker. I mean, that's gotta be a few pounds of iron, and depending on how they treated captured soldiers it coulda been real-life levels of Berserk gore if either crushed the side of some captive's face.

Recorded history is failing me right now.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Guts vs. Mozgus from Berserk Musou, god drat I wonder how bad the dudes on the 2016 anime staff feel about getting dunked on visually by a loving Dynasty Warriors spinoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTdnQxNewac

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

If the new adaptation had been the quality of those cutscenes... it would have been even more laughable.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The anime was bad, and those cutscenes are not bad for video games, but the difference in format and polygon limit to game characters + need for real time rendering means they are definitely not even at the level of the anime. But it's a game, so it works.

Strangely enough game animators get paid way better than TV animators, even if they can do easier work.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ccs posted:

The anime was bad, and those cutscenes are not bad for video games, but the difference in format and polygon limit to game characters + need for real time rendering means they are definitely not even at the level of the anime. But it's a game, so it works.

Strangely enough game animators get paid way better than TV animators, even if they can do easier work.
Only in Japan, and only because they have multinational corporations that have to pay their foreign employees a living wage. Anime studios have no such problem.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

WHO LIVES IN A VORTEX BENEATH THE ABYSS!?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ccs posted:

How is game animation easier work?

Like, games can get away with less polished and more limited animation, but it's not exactly "easy" to get animation that looks good from every angle and is able to transition seamlessly from dozens if not hundreds of animation cycles that are controlled by the player, which also means they need to be both snappy to make controlling the character feel natural and still have the proper physics of movement applied so it doesn't look unnatural.

It's loving hard, which is why game animation can often appear so ugly and barebones, because the time and energy needed to get everything looking smooth and polished is an investment most game companies cannot afford.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

Only in Japan, and only because they have multinational corporations that have to pay their foreign employees a living wage. Anime studios have no such problem.

True, but even in North America the profit margins for TV vs. games means game animators usually make at least $10,000 more per year than a TV animator, and have longer contracts.

Game animation has its own set of challenges to be sure, but also you're doing a lot of things over and over again like walks, runs, jumps, attacks, entrances, etc. Compare that with a multi-character scene in the How to Train Your Dragon TV series where every character is interacting with original reactions and creatures are fighting and your quota is 1500 frames a week.

Animating for a pre-school show is probably a lot easier than animating on a AAA game, but if the subject matter is similar than I'd judge TV work as much more difficult and demanding. But anyway all animators have hard lives.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 29, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They all do but Japan treats its animators like a special kind of garbage, generally paying less than a US Mcdonalds full time employee.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It varies by studio and, surprise, studios that consistently produce top tier animation like KyoAni pay their staff a decent wage and treat them like human beings.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kyoani are hosed up animals.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Why hasn't the thread title changed?
Berserk 2016: Because Life Isn't Fair

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Berserk 2016: The hiatus hiatus is on hiatus

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

[Mistimed Hirasawa fades out] gently caress Berserk 2016, gently caress Hiatuses.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

It varies by studio and, surprise, studios that consistently produce top tier animation like KyoAni pay their staff a decent wage and treat them like human beings.

Isn't KyoAni one of the only animation studios that doesn't mass layoff all their animators once a season or something hosed up like that?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mycot posted:

Isn't KyoAni one of the only animation studios that doesn't mass layoff all their animators once a season or something hosed up like that?

more that most of their animators are permanent employees and not cycled freelancers

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah most animators in Japan don't have contracts. They come in, draw a certain amount of frames, get paid for those frames, and then go on to the next thing. Sometimes that means working for a few different studios at once.

Madhouse and Kyoani are the two that don't do that to their employees.

Apparently Korea has a similar system for people who work in media:
"Hwang often goes to work on a Monday morning with her suitcase, not leaving again until Thursday night. She eats at her office, takes a shower at her office, sleeps in bunk beds at her office. “If I finish work at 9 p.m., that’s a short day,” she said.

Pay packets come irregularly - or not at all, if the show gets axed - and because she doesn’t have a contract, Hwang wonders when she goes to sleep each night whether she’ll still have a job in the morning. She can make this life work only by living at home with her parents - when she goes home, that is."
http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/1908115/why-young-south-koreans-call-their-country-hell-and-are-looking

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/berserk_musou/status/793637254090469376

We have reached the pinnacle of DLC
It's all downhill from here.

(It's a skin for your mount for buying the guide)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 3, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

oh my god :stonk:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

(It's a skin for your mount for buying the guide)

:stonklol: that's one hell of a decision to make

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Schierke no, get down from there :ohdear:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well that's the safe side of rapehorse.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People are outraged elsewhere.

Also, this means that technically, Rape Horse is a playable character in Berserk Warriors* before Skull Knight is.

* gently caress "Berserk and the Band of the Hawk"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I wish they'd added Ludwig from Bloodborne as a crossover playable character instead

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://twitter.com/berserk_musou/status/791569768310374401

Mozgus is Koei Tecmo and Farnese is me when they tell me I get a free Rape Horse with every guide.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Why Cant Berserk Crawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
First bathing Casca and now Rapehorse. I guess all of the DLC is going to be sticking to a theme.

Just further proof that Wyald ought to have been a DLC character, way down the line.