Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I just had some crazy Trumper spend over an hour on facebook trying to convince me that this article
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/politics/erica-garner-hillary-clinton-wikileaks/index.html

"Eric Garner's daughter blasts Clinton campaign after WikiLeaks emails"

Is damning evidence that the Clinton campaign is trying to use Eric Garner's death to push an anti gun agenda because one person said, of an anti-gun editorial, 'Are you sure we don't want to mention Eric Garner, his daughter might flip out if we don't' and his daughter saw this and flipped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

I just had some crazy Trumper spend over an hour on facebook trying to convince me that this article
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/politics/erica-garner-hillary-clinton-wikileaks/index.html

"Eric Garner's daughter blasts Clinton campaign after WikiLeaks emails"

Is damning evidence that the Clinton campaign is trying to use Eric Garner's death to push an anti gun agenda because one person said, of an anti-gun editorial, 'Are you sure we don't want to mention Eric Garner, his daughter might flip out if we don't' and his daughter saw this and flipped out.

I've seen this story filter through the right and I'm amazed that they suddenly think Eric Garner didn't deserve what was coming to him.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Defenestration posted:

Special guest star this weekend! EPORW reposts from these guys fairly often (their content has a lot of overlap) and I couldn't deprive you of this amazing page banner

This game looks pretty fun, but after you sign up for an account you find out it's just another lovely pay to win clone of Game of War.

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
Uhhh :stare:

I think my friend might go to /pol/.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

I really want to ask him if he legitimately thinks Hillary and/or the government would commit a terrorist attack to distract us from Hillary's emails. He's always been super conservative, but somewhat reasonable. This election is really bringing out the crazy in people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't be surprised if a mass shooting happens, a white cop kills an unarmed black guy, or a random celebrity dies in the next couple days.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm way past the point of being surprised when a black man gets shot by a white cop. They've been cracking down on all the being black in public cases this year.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
This is Hillary. She doesn't need any of that poo poo. She just does her usual 'make his death look like suicide/natural'.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ChristopherRobin posted:

I really want to ask him if he legitimately thinks Hillary and/or the government would commit a terrorist attack to distract us from Hillary's emails. He's always been super conservative, but somewhat reasonable. This election is really bringing out the crazy in people.

- also don't be surprised if it rains or gets chilly on the election day

(((They))) won't stop at anything to get Hillary elected

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
there really haven't been many mass shootings recently, which is nice

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

there really haven't been many mass shootings recently, which is nice

*Depressingly knocks on wood*

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

HeyThis American Life did a segment about the kind of people who post the stuff that ends up in this thread. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/599/seriously
They also just did a sequel to this episode which is really disheartening.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/600/will-i-know-anyone-at-this-party

edit: my favorite part is near the end when the woman is interviewing this older dude who says, "you just don't read enough!" and she's like, "I read all the time - I'm an NPR reporter for crissakes," and the guy just shrugs it off because obviously she hasn't been reading the right source, such as "isthatbaloney.com" or "stormfront.org".

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 30, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Soviet Commubot posted:

An IRL friend of mine (and goon as well) was on Medicaid and disability from 2009? to 2012 because he had cancer and he had to give away his car and some other poo poo so he could be under the resource cap. Of course, since he was a dirty poor the cancer wasn't detected until fairly late in the game and it took months for him to get enrolled in the various programs that would let him get actually treated. Since all of that took forever his cancer wasn't treated until fairly late in the game and he died in 2012 at the age of 30, with his diagnosis being made in 2008 or so. :911:

I'm so sorry. This country can be so hosed up and terrible.

I am still shocked that owning a car counts as a resource against you for getting Medicaid and government services. In most places you absolutely need a car to get anywhere and do anything and it is completely stupid. For awhile, I got around it because my car wasn't in my name. It was in my mom's name because she signed for the loan (I had no credit at the time and the dealership didn't even want me on the paperwork.) I still made all the payments on the car.

Later, my mom would exploit the fact that she technically owned my car to get a title loan on it to bail my drug addicted older brother out of jail only for him to be put right back in again for not paying child support. I managed to pay off the title loan with FAFSA money and miraculously made her give me my car back and convinced her to transfer the car over to me. Upon transferring to myself to make sure that bullshit never happened again I, predictably, was disqualified for Medicaid thanks to now owning a car. :thatspoverty:

In short, anyone that thinks being on the system is some lazy laid back luxury lifestyle is a loving dumbass and has no idea how much of a juggling act it is to insure your survival.

quote:

This American Life episodes

I need to listen to these.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
You can't own a car at all? The last few posts made me curious and see what restrictions my state has and they say you can have a car as long as the market value is <= 4500$.

Not exactly sure how crappy/not good that is. I mean I know it's definately used.

Also restrictions on bank account amounts seem BS, though the amounts I saw seem reasonable.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Jenner posted:

I'm so sorry. This country can be so hosed up and terrible.

I am still shocked that owning a car counts as a resource against you for getting Medicaid and government services. In most places you absolutely need a car to get anywhere and do anything and it is completely stupid. For awhile, I got around it because my car wasn't in my name. It was in my mom's name because she signed for the loan (I had no credit at the time and the dealership didn't even want me on the paperwork.) I still made all the payments on the car.

Later, my mom would exploit the fact that she technically owned my car to get a title loan on it to bail my drug addicted older brother out of jail only for him to be put right back in again for not paying child support. I managed to pay off the title loan with FAFSA money and miraculously made her give me my car back and convinced her to transfer the car over to me. Upon transferring to myself to make sure that bullshit never happened again I, predictably, was disqualified for Medicaid thanks to now owning a car. :thatspoverty:

What the gently caress. In Oregon, I qualify for the Oregon Health Plan with a simple written statement of income since I'm self employed. I had to give them tax statements when I first signed up a couple of years ago but to renew they literally asked me how much I thought I was going to make this month, write that on a piece of paper and mail it to their office. Whatever assets you have should be completely irrelevant unless they generate income. It doesn't make even a tiny bit of sense except as a way to shut people out of necessary services.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A friend of mine got pulled over in Oregon recently (he was in a parking lot in his car at night, while black) and he ended up on probation and lost his access to OHP, which leaves him literally bouncing around on the bus all day between POs and doctors and pharmacies to buy a week's worth of his medication at a time because he lost his job while he was locked up for driving while suspended.

I mean sure, he's a criminal because he repeatedly drives without legal paperwork, but now he's pretty much unemployable because he can't function without his meds, and spends all his time riding buses between probation checklist activities.

gropemotron posted:

Uhhh :stare:

I think my friend might go to /pol/.
The really :psyduck: part for me is that he's linking to Scott Adams, who's literally a cartoonist... While throwing in "cartoon" to the word salad for I have no idea why

I'm not sure what "frog" thing means - I guess he knows who Pepe is? Maybe he hates the French?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 30, 2016

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

What the gently caress. In Oregon, I qualify for the Oregon Health Plan with a simple written statement of income since I'm self employed. I had to give them tax statements when I first signed up a couple of years ago but to renew they literally asked me how much I thought I was going to make this month, write that on a piece of paper and mail it to their office. Whatever assets you have should be completely irrelevant unless they generate income. It doesn't make even a tiny bit of sense except as a way to shut people out of necessary services.

It's a different social service program, but I think Kansas banned buying bulk dry food with their food stamps? So gently caress you for being a smart buyer and saving some money on bulk dry beans and rice.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

PhazonLink posted:

It's a different social service program, but I think Kansas banned buying bulk dry food with their food stamps? So gently caress you for being a smart buyer and saving some money on bulk dry beans and rice.

A big part of social services is increasing the velocity of money. Smart purchases like bulk dry foods ensure there is some money left over for other things as opposed to helping corporate sponsors like Tyson.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I guess I can understand that you don't want aid programs going to help people in rich families who are living off of inherited wealth, but I have a weird feeling that for every case where some rich guy is milking the system for free healthcare, there's a thousand poor people who have to pawn their assets to see a doctor.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

ChristopherRobin posted:

In that vein, my Aunt shared this

Never did ask about how she felt about the whole Trump thing, guess she fell into the whole "BUT EMAILS!!!" :byodood: trap of not having to think about it as she votes downballot.

e: here's another one

Way to condone high treason! :thumbsup:

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 30, 2016

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I guess I can understand that you don't want aid programs going to help people in rich families who are living off of inherited wealth, but I have a weird feeling that for every case where some rich guy is milking the system for free healthcare, there's a thousand poor people who have to pawn their assets to see a doctor.

Why would a rich guy ever milk the system for free healthcare? I am on my dad's insurance until April (when I turn 26) and if I can't get a decent job by then (unlikely because of my degree and the fact that I turned 16 right at the beginning of the great recession, then was flat out unable to work through college because it was college or work, not both because I was having nervous breakdowns already due to a large amount of issues in my life at the time) then I get to go on AHCCCS fully (I already have it since I am on disability for ASD). Except, oh no, my psychiatrist doesn't accept AHCCCS, and I sort of need that prescription for Prozac otherwise things are going to go really badly. And IF I can find someone who does accept it, well, then I end up having to be reevaluated for some reason, even though my disability hasn't gone away, and never will.

Basically, being poor and having a disability suck in this country.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah no person that could afford decent healthcare would try to fraudulently get public care; healthcare providers hate medicaid/medicare patients and will make things suck for you

All the requirements around these things are to screw poor people and soothe the voters that hate that they're allowed to even exist

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 30, 2016

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy

coyo7e posted:

A friend of mine got pulled over in Oregon recently (he was in a parking lot in his car at night, while black) and he ended up on probation and lost his access to OHP, which leaves him literally bouncing around on the bus all day between POs and doctors and pharmacies to buy a week's worth of his medication at a time because he lost his job while he was locked up for driving while suspended.

I mean sure, he's a criminal because he repeatedly drives without legal paperwork, but now he's pretty much unemployable because he can't function without his meds, and spends all his time riding buses between probation checklist activities.

The really :psyduck: part for me is that he's linking to Scott Adams, who's literally a cartoonist... While throwing in "cartoon" to the word salad for I have no idea why

I'm not sure what "frog" thing means - I guess he knows who Pepe is? Maybe he hates the French?

It's definitely a pepe thing, earlier today he was posting pepe memes about emails or something too. It's all incomprehensible since I think I'm missing the reference from /r/thedonald or /pol/ or wherever he's getting this poo poo from. He used to be normal until he enlisted and went through Army bootcamp. I want my friend back :smith:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I wish I could make this poo poo up (instead of it being true)

coyo7e posted:

God bless my trailer trash aunt who lives on social security and painkillers, and who's convinced that everybody else is a welfare queen who doesn't lift a finger to do anything, ever - unless it involves electing Obummer for a third term then they all vote 100 times a day.

Also heavily featured are Jesus "footsteps in the sand" memes, and "share if you recognize what *this* is!!!!" (spoiler: it's a picture of a basic tool for personal hygiene or home and auto maintenance, although sometimes for difficulty points it might be a picture of baby jesus in the manger, or an american flag)

She really thought this was a picture of Jesus.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Aunt Tina took it well and she's way ahead of the rest of them, so I figure she's not lost (as Obi-Wan would say.)

There is still light in here, I know it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

coyo7e posted:

I wish I could make this poo poo up (instead of it being true)

She really thought this was a picture of Jesus.

My brother-in-law posted the same picture, and then quietly deleted it after I pointed it out.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

the_steve posted:

I love how they completely ignore the fact that the southern Democrats and other assorted racists swapped teams to the Republican party.

Of course they do. They think that black people are morons, and just telling them "history" while omitting the last 50 years is all they need to do to get black voters.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Were I to be voting in the late 1800s I'd care, but LBJ happened and now it's the republicans being total shitbirds. Why are they so hell set on winning elections from fifty years ago?

Well it's not like they have a single moments post 1968 they can point to to say they aren't all racist monsters.

sirtommygunn posted:

No, no, go on about how liberals are the real racists compared to Donald "they're sending us their murderers and rapists" Trump. Just keep talking about how merciful Trump is compared to Hillary when he ponders why we can't just murder the families of suspected terrorists! Let's talk about how Trump is such a great supporter of civil rights, that his businesses were forcefully desegregated by the court (with no admission of guilt)!

I love how there is absolutely no positive things Trump has done or said about these groups at all to encourage anyone to support him.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Fulchrum posted:

Of course they do. They think that black people are morons, and just telling them "history" while omitting the last 50 years is all they need to do to get black voters.

Honestly, I think it's closer to the idea that they themselves sincerely believe it. In their fantasy land, the racist team swap never happened.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
And now back to your regularly scheduled Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers

Be like a giant stick in the mud! Refuse to change for anyone or anything. Patriotism!

gently caress separation of church and state. Patriotism

ignoring the president's lawful orders: patriooooooootism

asplode the government. Patriotism

dance, handegg monkey!

doo doo!

c-word

Party hard

don't pretend like you care about women's rights

lying sacks of poo poo and dammed statistics

Ducks

Ooo I know! Fewer laws, libertarian free for all, that will protect us

communists and gangsters

murther

Surprised we haven't heard more like this honestly. Maybe if Trump would actually have run a campaign instead of a cargo cult

There was apparently some vote switch computer thing in Texas they were flogging real hard all week

Congress are the only people that are REQUIRED to have Obamacare but thanks for playing

anti-american

exit, pursued by a bear

he's a witch! a witch I tell you! he's done thousands of witch crimes

oh god no one who wasn't already anti-hillary cared about emails a year ago, and no one cares about emails volume 57 now

RIP black vote, killed by emails

Connect what to Paul Ryan? Transitive

congratulations on actually putting content in the title of the story

We have always been at war with Bush-asia

liberals liberals liberals!!
/tinsley

ACA premiums are going up double digit percent. That's it. Somehow, we will make this mean Obama ruined Christmas. And killed baby Jesus.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dear Sirs: 

During my last night's shift in the ER, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient with a shiny new gold tooth, multiple elaborate tattoos, a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and a new cellular telephone equipped with her favorite R&B tune for a ringtone. Glancing over the chart, one could not help noticing her payer status: Medicaid. She smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and, somehow, still has money to buy beer. 

And our Congress expects me to pay for this woman's health care? Our nation's health care crisis is not a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. It is a crisis of culture — a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. A culture that thinks "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Life is really not that hard. Most of us reap what we sow. 

Don't you agree? 

STARNER JONES, MD 

Hippocratic Oath posted:

I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:...

I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.

I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures which are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.

I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.

I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. Above all, I must not play at God.

I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.

The loving Hippocratic Oath posted:

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. Above all, I must not play at God.

I think this lady needs a new job.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Gold tooth. Because "R&B ringtone" might not be clear enough. I'm, surprised they didn't op for "diamond encrusted, solid gold bone" through the nose.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Defenestration posted:

And now back to your regularly scheduled Extremely Pissed Off Right Wingers

gently caress separation of church and state. Patriotism
Funny, I've never seen a church with the Ten Commandments posted outside of it. I've only seen them posted outside synagogues, but even then it's in Hebrew.

quote:

asplode the government. Patriotism
Was that picture made by that Dees guy?

quote:

doo doo!
If you have flush twice sometimes, maybe you should clean up your diet like the First Lady says.

quote:

oh god no one who wasn't already anti-hillary cared about emails a year ago, and no one cares about emails volume 57 now
I used to work technical support for an ISP, and I got a feeling that the people who still care about this use the terms "Facebook" and "Internet" interchangeably.

quote:

RIP black vote, killed by emails
I swear, watching republicans pull this every Presidential election year while expecting us to ignore all the racist poo poo they've said in the years between is the most fun/awful thing about being black.

quote:

liberals liberals liberals!!
:tinsley:
Those liberals are stopping your kids from being indoctrinated by evil, godless, LIE-brul professors, and you're complaining! The nerve!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Literally everyone I know that would re-post something like this drinks like a 6-pack after work each night

Ah yes, Howard Stern, the biggest narcissist around and the guy that has literally became the thing he rallied against his whole career.

These stupid EPORW posts do a good job of trolling me

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Feldegast42 posted:

I think this lady needs a new job.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dear Sirs: 

During my last night's shift in the ER, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient with a shiny new gold tooth, multiple elaborate tattoos, a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and a new cellular telephone equipped with her favorite R&B tune for a ringtone. Glancing over the chart, one could not help noticing her payer status: Medicaid. She smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and, somehow, still has money to buy beer. 

And our Congress expects me to pay for this woman's health care? Our nation's health care crisis is not a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. It is a crisis of culture — a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. A culture that thinks "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Life is really not that hard. Most of us reap what we sow. 

Don't you agree? 

STARNER JONES, MD 

I love that these people who share idiotic dog whistle racist stories like these, clearly don't know what Marshall's/T.J. Maxx/Burlington's is, nor do they know how much things actually cost.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

constantIllusion posted:

I love that these people who share idiotic dog whistle racist stories like these, clearly don't know what Marshall's/T.J. Maxx/Burlington's is, nor do they know how much things actually cost.

I sincerely think that they're bad shoppers. I saw some big outrage thing a while back because of a picture of a family receiving aid where they were making popcorn in one of those hot air popcorn makers.
People were outraged that a family that could afford a $100 popcorn machine was getting medical aid or something.

I can sort of understand the outrage if this family really did use their limited funds to pay full price for something with such low utility.
But that's probably not what happened. Stupid gadgets like that are the kinds of things that middle class families buy, and then realize that they're gigantic wastes of space, so they sell them at yard sales or dump them off at goodwill.
The can of popcorn kernels probably cost more, and it's a nice fun luxury for a family that doesn't have a huge budget. Who am I to begrudge someone a few smiles once or twice a week.

Solstice
Mar 12, 2002

Non-violent for the entire family!
I am in no way an expert on current dental technology but I swear I remember being told a gold tooth is actually cheaper than a porcelain crown and the preferred solution in many cases (no idea what those cases actually are). This was quite a few years ago, and I think gold was much cheaper, but let's be honest that forward is ancient too. The fact that it calls out a cell with a custom ringtone as a luxury really ages it. People used to pay a whole 99 cents for a custom R&B ringtone!!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The type of people to type up a story like that legitimately believe that if you're poor enough to need government aid then you shouldn't own any "non essentials" whatsoever. If they could get away with telling The Poors to wear nothing but burlap sacks and eat nothing but a soy paste nutrient slurry, they would. Any use of money at all that does not directly stave off death is Abusing the System and Stealing our Taxes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

So does this image mean you are pro-Hillary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

So one of my paranoid conspiracy nut friends (think numerous Infowars links) posted some editorial saying Clinton needs to step down from the nomination.

https://truthkings.com/chicago-tribune-becomes-1st-major-paper-ask-clinton-step/
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-hillary-clinton-emails-kass-1030-20161028-column.html

It's basically a ton of concern trolling about how the Democrats should have higher moral standards, complete with a bunch of factual errors (Comey did not "reopen the investigation"). Then we have a discussion. Black is me, red is OP, I don't know who blue is.