Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

Check it out, dude! As long as you don't make a character using any of the new race/hair/eye options, you should be able to uninstall the mod without issue if you end up not liking it, especially if you're using Mod Organizer.
I added it, thanks for the review. But now

Arcsquad12 posted:

It also adds a poo poo ton of stuff to The Fort which makes the area's performance run like crap, all for the sake of having slave pens and a naked woman sucking off a legionnaire.
has me questioning things.

Back to After War Nevada. I put together a load order with all the graphical, ui/qol, and sound improvement stuff from Fear and Loathing. Included the cut content mods like Freeside Open and Wasteland Uncut. Did Bash Tag Generation for AWN too, but after looking at the resulting conflicts in FNVEdit, I pulled FO and WU and left just the eye and ear candy stuff along with the hud/ui improvers. Also stuck AWN after the Bashed Patch in LOOT. Runs well and the conflicts no longer overwrite key parts of AWN.

Haven't had the time to play much, because modding, but the combat when I shoot up some GoodSpringsers makes it seem like this will be a good run. The character creation is very detailed and the background stuff is well done - classes, basically, that come with their own plusses and minuses. Tagging matters and skill points are not cheap. Tagged skills grant secondary benefits. Everything grants benefits, your stats screen is full of various effects (+10% AP regen from being well hydrated or something, I think). You get to choose your starting loadout by purchasing stuff from a vendor before you start the game. The amount of money you're given is a function of your starting stats, traits, and class.

A lot of detail like this. I used to enjoy merging in Cirosan's overhaul for how it emphasized SPECIAL and differentiated builds a lot. AWN seems to take that to 11 while also adding a lot of other mechanics and new gameplay. Combat has been overhauled in a major fashion. Reminds me most of FWE if I had to compare it to a single thing.

Edit: drithius has compatibility patches for AWN and YUP, Spice of Life, NVR2 & 3, Robert's (look under NVR CP even if you don't plan to use NVR, the patch is there), AWoP, and something else I forget. I suggest you not bash merge his patches as he assumes you're not bashing his stuff (even in FOOK-PN Convergence). So put a rule in LOOT that has the main AWN esp after the Bashed Patch and all the CPs will automatically move below the Bashed Patch, too.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

It also adds a poo poo ton of stuff to The Fort which makes the area's performance run like crap, all for the sake of having slave pens and a naked woman sucking off a legionnaire.

Is it like the merchants who only stand at their counter 9-5 or is she suckin' him off 24/7?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is there a general order mods should be loaded, not just specific ones? Something like weapons > gameplay > textures etc?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

nexus6 posted:

Is there a general order mods should be loaded, not just specific ones? Something like weapons > gameplay > textures etc?

It comes down to what mods should take priority over others. Most tools show mods in order of increasing priority so later ones win any conflicts. Take a look at a guide like this that shows you a suggested order - http://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I was kinda looking for something more consise and generic, like 'textures should come after gameplay which comes after weapon mods'. That page lists a lot of individual mods, is the order they are listed the recommended load order?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My general rough rule of thumb is that the smaller the scope of a mod, the lower in your load order it should be.

A mod that adds a whole new worldspace and questline should be fairly high up (unless its Beyond Boulder Dome in which case it's proper position in your load order is the recycle bin) while a mod that rebalances one class of weapons should be around the middle, and one that redesigns two NPCs should be at the end.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

nexus6 posted:

I was kinda looking for something more consise and generic, like 'textures should come after gameplay which comes after weapon mods'. That page lists a lot of individual mods, is the order they are listed the recommended load order?

That kind of categorical answer isn't possible because mods that alter totally different things won't conflict with one another in the first place.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nexus6 posted:

Load order only matters between mods that change similar things. If you have a mod that only changes textures and a mod that changed game play significantly but doesn't affect textures at all it makes zero difference whatsoever the order they're loaded.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

My general rough rule of thumb is that the smaller the scope of a mod, the lower in your load order it should be.

A mod that adds a whole new worldspace and questline should be fairly high up (unless its Beyond Boulder Dome in which case it's proper position in your load order is the recycle bin) while a mod that rebalances one class of weapons should be around the middle, and one that redesigns two NPCs should be at the end.

Or something like Nevada Skies which, unlike most mods which scream at you to PUT VERY LAST IN LOAD ORDER MY MOD IS THE MOST SPECIAL AND MOST IMPORTANT YOU'LL HAVE, actually does need to have its esp component put just above the merged/bash patches.

Also, if you don't have it already, just download LOOT and run it at least once. No, I don't care what functionality Mod Organizer says it has, you need standalone LOOT to actually tell you if you have a load-order specific issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A point however. If you are using the Fear and Loathing in New Vegas mod guide for all the weapon modifications, don't let LOOT autosort them for you. I did that and it hosed up a lot of the compatibility issues. I can't remember exactly how I set it up, but it took me a while in FNV Edit to arrange the WMX and EVE mods and all their patches properly.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ugh hwy are mods so annoying ot use i just want to play this game decently :(

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
nevermind

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 4, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
How prominant are the modern guns in After War? I'm really not a big fan of seeing modern real world weaponry in large amounts.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Anyone have any quest mod reccomendations? Just finished Autumn Leaves, that was a pretty solid bit of work but now I want more Fallout.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

King Doom posted:

Anyone have any quest mod reccomendations? Just finished Autumn Leaves, that was a pretty solid bit of work but now I want more Fallout.

Join us in for waiting for The Frontier to come out!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Join us in for waiting for The Frontier to come out!

Reminder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nenXX9wQRY

(Mostly I just like the song. I'm not a big fan of Garbage but this is a good one.)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's funny how good that mod looks, but they have weird taste when it comes to trailer music.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's funny how good that mod looks, but they have weird taste when it comes to trailer music.

I think the music dissonance works. It's a lot like the space hulk deathwing trailer that blared Walking With A Ghost rather than typical Gothic chanting.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
That's a loving mod? It looks like a game in its own right. :stare:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Pretty impressive what they achieved in engine, wow.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

They probably just used it because it was in an MGSV trailer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They probably just used it because it was in an MGSV trailer.

Maybe, or maybe it's just one of those things that turns into a complete coincidence, like Rick and Morty using X Gon Give It To Ya in the same timeframe as both a well known Source Filmmaker video came out, and then a Deadpool trailer came out at the same time both using the same song.

On a modding note, I tried installing the Fallout 4 Quickloot mod for Vegas, but when I launch the game and load a save my screen is a brown texture smear with a popup message telling me to update to the latest NVSE Beta version 5.0b. Except, I already have that version installed. Disabling Quickloot makes it go away, but that is one of the best QOL mods to get backported to Vegas.

On another note, can I use Spice of Life without the body mods, or will there be a big fuckup if I do?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 7, 2016

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Does anybody know what mod adds the O.S.A bunker in Silver Peaks Mine?

There's a bunch of O.S.A soldiers and an arms merchant inside but none of them talk to me. They don't even care if I steal the guns on the table and murder people with them.

There's a room with O.S.A officers too

I think it might be Project Weaponry, but the mod author really didn't write a lot about what the mod adds and I've not managed to find any information by searching.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Open the console & click on anything that's placed in that O.S.A bunker. For example those NPCs. A RefID will appear at the bottom of the screen. The first two digits are the loadorder position of the mod you're looking for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm playing with fire and messing around with u grids to load values. I've got a 1070 but I'm wondering what sort of performance drop to expect?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

most of their trailer music comes from mgs5 trailers.
edit: fuckin' beaten

i finally played nv bounties 3 and i guess it was alright. better than nvb2 because i didnt have to mow down an entire army of people while being dragged across the mojave but the theme felt too 'forced' i guess. it didn't really feel like a natural progression of 'hey turns out killing people for money is pretty hosed up'.

the scene with the town being executed was cool even if i didnt know or care about anyone because i was beelining around. there were a lot of dudes in the ending slides that all had 'bad' endings who i never met so i guess i was supposed to hang out with them. oops.

being able to get the ideal conclusions based on stat checks was cool even if there wasn't much logic behind the actual choices themselves.

the reveal that marko was virgil didn't really do anything for me because i shot him in the head during the first 'look at the results of your actions!' scene since he was such a smug rear end in a top hat.
i didn't figure out that he was marko there since i just assumed he was made essential for the purpose of bringing me to the nvb3 worldmap but it's one of those things where it's like "you should be dead anyways but alright"

all-in-all it's probably worth playing just for the sake of having a new experience even if it's an absolutely fantastic one? it's still pretty alright and has a lot of effort put forth into it- ultimately similar in vein to beyond boulder dome in terms of where i'd rank it.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 9, 2016

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I'm playing with fire and messing around with u grids to load values. I've got a 1070 but I'm wondering what sort of performance drop to expect?

Just don't. U-grids is one of those things where it doesn't matter what hardware you have the engine itself can't handle the higher values and something is going to screw up when you change it from the default.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CFox posted:

Just don't. U-grids is one of those things where it doesn't matter what hardware you have the engine itself can't handle the higher values and something is going to screw up when you change it from the default.

Fair enough. Maybe I'll sit down and actually try that LOD Generator mod from the Fear and Loathing guide.

Would Satchels or Tailor Maid be better for doing the armor slots style gameplay from Fallout 4? Tailor Maid apparel has a lot of bonuses for skill and special stats, but not much in the way of DT. Granted, a low DT playthrough could be a fun challenge, but I'd like to see some more oomph from protective gear.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fereydun posted:

most of their trailer music comes from mgs5 trailers.

Oh I know and love both franchises but is weird, like crossing sweet with savoury.

Also, nobody answered my After War question. Will I see at least some of the canon FNW weaponry or will I get SWEET MODERN WEAPONRY BRO shoved in my face constantly?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

FWIW I have a GTX 680 and set grids at 9 for both FO3 and FNV, along with hugely cranking up the draw distances for grass, meshes, etc- I noticed no performance difference, since the game is capped at 60 anyway. The problem with gridstoload as you probably know based on your post is that it means you're loading scripts and AI and other nonsense from distant cells, and more of that means a higher crash chance. Personally, had almost no more crashes in FNV, but FO3 was slightly worse, so YMMV. If the only reason you're not doing it is performance concerns, go ahead; if you're not doing it for stability reasons, that's understandable. Also keep in mind that if you have a save file with a certain number of grids at some point, you will not want to ever change the number on that save file.

That said, the game looks an absolute ton better just with some ini tweaks; grass and draw distance on meshes are the two big ones, but you can crank most settings well past their max (2-10x for me) without impacting your framerate too much. The grass in particular helps as it covers the ugly unnatural mashed-potato terrain that gamebryo games have, but being able to see the Lucky 38 from almost anywhere on the map was pretty drat cool, and in general lead me to a better feeling of cohesiveness. The Goodsprings water tower in particular is visible from miles and miles away, which is pretty cool.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, nobody answered my After War question. Will I see at least some of the canon FNW weaponry or will I get SWEET MODERN WEAPONRY BRO shoved in my face constantly?

I didn't get very far in as yet. The battle of Good Springs didn't drop anything egregious. The 5mm and 5.56 assault rifles dropped looked reasonable AK variants. Only rifle was the varmint. Haven't checked the weapons in the mod.

That battle was all out war. He seems to have added combatants on both sides, Joe had like 8-9 people baking him. Everyone died on the deadly combat esp version. Trudy, Chet, and 2 settlers made it through with the default combat esp.

There's a lot of stuff happening in this mod. I got a penalty for wearing a Too Heavy Helmet - motorcycle helmet. There's a -1 PE hit for simply being indoors. And you want to take those shades off inside the house, mister, the PE penalties stack up. AP regen rate buff 10% for being fully hydrated, dropping to 5% as thirst increases. Don't like having to drink before combat.

I've also put together an F&L jsawyer CCO PN profile in organizer to compare. Haven't played FNV in years and CCOs classic feels may be better.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

aniviron posted:

Also keep in mind that if you have a save file with a certain number of grids at some point, you will not want to ever change the number on that save file.
If you're referring to the save file not loading if you lower the uGridstoload .ini setting: If you want to lower it and keep your save, you'll have to change that setting with the ingame console. And then make a new save afterwards.

But uGridstoload still isn't something you should mess with. Yeah, it can make the game look prettier. And with modern hardware you won't get any noticeable performance drop. But it will make the game more unstable, stuff like scripted events that are supposed to fire when the player is nearby will mess up and you can get host of weird bugs. For example when I was experimenting with uGridstoload a while back, all of a cell's collision meshes would randomly decide to not load. So I'd walk through fences and fall through the ground, etc.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can I make a merged patch for all of the Roberts and Type 3 remodels of the vanilla and DLC clothing?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Canemacar posted:

Wow. That is incredibly lovely. Bethesda is trying to beat Bioware's record in burning through all the good will they've built up in the past.

When did they ever have good will?

E: Whoops didn't realize how far behind that post was.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can I make a merged patch for all of the Roberts and Type 3 remodels of the vanilla and DLC clothing?

Yeah, the esp files should merge without issue.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ended up throwing together a quickie armor mod because i wanted a more 'classic' style cowboy duster

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3dmmaybwh95dhon/duster.rar

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fereydun posted:

ended up throwing together a quickie armor mod because i wanted a more 'classic' style cowboy duster

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3dmmaybwh95dhon/duster.rar

I like it, reminds me of that old armor pack I can never find anymore, Scorpion I think it was called? What's the damage threshold on that suit anyways?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like it, reminds me of that old armor pack I can never find anymore, Scorpion I think it was called? What's the damage threshold on that suit anyways?
yeah, that's the other one i really like.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9zwwrwt978coiag/NVBS_Desert_Scorpion_Battle_Armor.rar

for the DT, i set it to 20 so it's pretty high

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fereydun posted:

yeah, that's the other one i really like.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9zwwrwt978coiag/NVBS_Desert_Scorpion_Battle_Armor.rar

for the DT, i set it to 20 so it's pretty high

Nice, thanks for the link. DT seems fine, I use signature armor anyways, so it would be super high regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Open the console & click on anything that's placed in that O.S.A bunker. For example those NPCs. A RefID will appear at the bottom of the screen. The first two digits are the loadorder position of the mod you're looking for.

I thought I'd try that but the RefID appears half cut off at the top of the screen. Like, I can only see the bottom halves of the characters :confused: