Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Credits/xp per game is pretty decent. Everyone has a chance to contribute. At higher ranks everyone starts playing very cautiously until they get into a long enough losing streak that they just stop caring. You notice the difference when you go back to normal from ranked. All of a sudden the enemy team seems more like AI players with awful coordination.

Thanks. It doesn't seem something I want to do now. I just want to shoot some poo poo and that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

MikeC posted:

are its guns comparatively bad for T5 battleships? I went heads up against a Nikolai, full broadside of 10 guns into her at 5km into the hull. 1 Penetration shot out of 6 or 7 hits

Nikolai are, from what I understand, really, ridiculously overpowered. The Konig guns are 12" compared with 14" on the Kongo and New York, though, so it definitely lacks some penetration compared with those two. I just found it to be bad at helping to win rounds. It doesn't kill enemy ships very well, and is slow enough you can't move around. Compared with the Bayern, which is also slowish but armored to hell with excellent guns, the Konig isn't great.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

kaesarsosei posted:

That's suspiciously close to the amount you gain from camo :dukedoge:

Maybe the premium camo wasn't calculating properly?

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Velius posted:

I'm no master of battleships but the Konig is my worst of the tier 3 to 8 German battleships by far. 43% win rate, which is atrocious. My next lowest is the Tirpitz at 57%. It isn't a good ship. Slow speed and bad accuracy make it really hard to influence rounds.

Edit: it's the worst of all German ships for me, and only the pre boost Furutaka is worse among ships I used more than ten battles.

I've resorted to shooting only HE and lighting a candle before the battle starts.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Trip report on the Bayern: Very first game in a completely stock one is a T8 match. Still manage to place first on the team due to the entire group being complete retards. Next game is almost the same, aside from being a T6 match. :shepicide:

I do like the ship though, incredible difficulty in getting a team that understands the concept of winning aside.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Speaking of the Tirpitz: is it a reskinned Bismark or is it significantly worse than the regular Bismark?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cippalippus posted:

Speaking of the Tirpitz: is it a reskinned Bismark or is it significantly worse than the regular Bismark?

It has less AA than the top hull, less secondary range, and no sonar. But it has torpedoes.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cippalippus posted:

It's a Bismarck with torps but no hydro and shorter ranged secondaries, I think? It's good.

efb; this is what happens when you start typing a reply, go play a match and come back to post it

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Cippalippus posted:

What wdarrk said. It has less secondary range (and fewer secondaries), it's AA is worse, but it has torpedoes.

It's a good ship, but between the two I'd take the Bismarck all day.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

What wdarrk said. It has less secondary range (and fewer secondaries), it's AA is worse, but it has torpedoes.

It's a good ship, but between the two I'd take the Bismarck all day.

The secondary guns themselves are identical, it's just that the Tirptiz ones have a base range of 4.5km and the Bismark is 7.0km.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I really need to learn some restraint when playing the Gneisau. Out of 28 games so far, I have survived none of them.

North Carolina continues to be amazing and I'm not sure I want to bother moving on to the Iowa.

Regarding T7/T8 German BB citadels, it seems like there's a spot just front of the leading turret that can be hit with plunging fire for citadels, but otherwise you need a lucky ricochet.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Konig currently is my highest average damage ship. I don't have the best winrate in it yet with only 6 games, but its incredibly at soaking hits. I think I have the most luck going for damaging hits instead of gunning for the citadels on things, since it has smaller guns then other tier 5 BB's. I only really get in trouble when I come across things packing 16" guns.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

TheFluff posted:

I don't really agree. The Cleveland in theory has higher gun damage output than its IJN counterpart the Aoba, which I'm also playing right now. In the Aoba though it's much easier to actually do damage because not only does it have better concealment (although I have to concede that my Aoba captain is a 17-point one due to a shitton of matches in the Atago, so it's got concealment expert), it's also much easier to do damage from longer range. The Aoba also has good torpedoes which gives you some interesting tactical options. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's faster and more agile than the Cleveland. Having the most HP and most armor really doesn't matter much on a cruiser when the overwhelming threat is a battleship taking a quarter to half of your health in one salvo.

What makes the Belfast isn't the radar (even though the radar/smoke/hydro combination is amazing for loving over destroyers and taking caps), it's the good concealment and long-lasting smoke. You are much more free in where you position yourself, it's easier to escape bad situations and you can easily apply your damage.

I do agree with some of your points. Aoba is a little bit more agile and faster, it has torpedoes that I missed on Cleveland but it also might be that your perception is little bit warped. No one has concealment expert on cruiser at tier 6 and not being seen is most powerful ability in the game. And yes while any cruiser can lose quarter, half or all HP from battleship volley the armor and HP matter much more when you got yourself in duel with other cruiser. Aoba is more jack of all trade ship then Cleveland but I think whatever Cleveland has to do it does it really well. I didnt play Cleveland for a while and I remember abusing islands every opportunity I had. On Aoba I always felt I done less then I actually did. Aoba is a ship for patient man I feel. People scared much more of Cleveland and I think it draws much more fire. Well those are mine opinions.

I meant concealment module on Belfast. Sub 10km detection on cruiser in tier 7 is insane. Radar is a bonus.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Holy moly the Myogi is a piece of poo poo :gonk:

Edit: good thing I bought some gold or whatever it's called so i could get out of it after 5 games of which I only won 1

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 30, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

El Disco posted:

The secondary guns themselves are identical, it's just that the Tirptiz ones have a base range of 4.5km and the Bismark is 7.0km.

I actually think they could buff the Tirpitz secondaries. IMO the torps and Hydro balance each other nicely so I see no reason why the Tirpitz should have inferior secondaries or AA.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

kaesarsosei posted:

I actually think they could buff the Tirpitz secondaries. IMO the torps and Hydro balance each other nicely so I see no reason why the Tirpitz should have inferior secondaries or AA.

Yes Tirpitz is possibly the worst T8 battleship and is underperforming. Especialy compared to the Bismarck.
The torpedoes arn't what they used to be now that everybody is expecting them.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lady Morgaga posted:

I do agree with some of your points. Aoba is a little bit more agile and faster, it has torpedoes that I missed on Cleveland but it also might be that your perception is little bit warped. No one has concealment expert on cruiser at tier 6 and not being seen is most powerful ability in the game. And yes while any cruiser can lose quarter, half or all HP from battleship volley the armor and HP matter much more when you got yourself in duel with other cruiser. Aoba is more jack of all trade ship then Cleveland but I think whatever Cleveland has to do it does it really well. I didnt play Cleveland for a while and I remember abusing islands every opportunity I had. On Aoba I always felt I done less then I actually did. Aoba is a ship for patient man I feel. People scared much more of Cleveland and I think it draws much more fire. Well those are mine opinions.

I meant concealment module on Belfast. Sub 10km detection on cruiser in tier 7 is insane. Radar is a bonus.

Right, my bad on the radar, I misread what you wrote. It's also true that I might be a bit biased by the much better Aoba captain but still, I do vastly better in the Aoba than in the Cleveland. Maybe I'm just that bad at shooting.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Krogort posted:

Yes Tirpitz is possibly the worst T8 battleship and is underperforming. Especialy compared to the Bismarck.
The torpedoes arn't what they used to be now that everybody is expecting them.

In ranked you would be very surprised at how often those torps take out an enemy BB. Due to the always face the enemy requirement generally tirpitzes and bismarcks end up going head to head with each other at pretty close range, if you turn away early you get destroyed for showing your broadside, too late and you eat torps. It turns into a game of chicken and very frequently ends with a ramming.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

Edit: good thing I bought some gold or whatever it's called so i could get out of it after 5 games of which I only won 1

Is it even possible to hit things at max range with a Kongo? Shells literally fall kilometers apart.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How does one outfit a Chapayev and Chapayev captain?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Cippalippus posted:

Is it even possible to hit things at max range with a Kongo? Shells literally fall kilometers apart.

Battleship accuracy gets better at higher tiers. The Kongo isn't fantastic for accuracy but it's reasonable. Using it is more about using the high speed to react to the enemy and flanking where you can. Compared with the Konig and New York it has worse armor by a lot so you don't want to be eating hits.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Being able to force the enemy to react to you as a Kongo pair or division is great. Once I'm feeling a bit better, maybe I'll be down for some more Kongo division antics (my Texas at least seems to be getting less tier 7 games now).

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

20 million credit supercontainer. That's pretty cool.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

You know, I enjoy the concept of cyclones, but loving hell WG, fix your goddamn sighting for CVs. I had a fighter squadron engaging a bomber squadron(that I'd set to engage after seeing them for a brief second) and literally COULD NOT SEE SAID BOMBER SQUADRON THEY WERE ENGAGING. Or the 3 other squadrons right on top of them (one of which was a fighter which engaged me). How do you gently caress up this poo poo so bad?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Have you ever flown a plane in a cyclone? You can't see poo poo!

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I could understand if someone prefers the torps on the Tirpitz over the secondaries on the Bismarck. But I think hydro is a huge advantage especially in ranked. I have no qualms about wading into a cap circle, seeing torps almost as soon as they are launched and responding with hull-melting secondaries.

Chapayev needs Concealment Expert, Demolition Expert, Expert Marksmanship. Everything else to preference.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

It's great?

It's fast, the guns murder people, and you can shoot like 25km or something absurd with it using the spotter plane, nothing like trolling people at the start of the match by firing into their spawn.

AA on it is crappy though, otherwise I enjoy it.

Also that rare occasion when you citadel a cruiser for 10000 damage per round. It's hilarious.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 30, 2016

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Is there a Euro-Goon Division that I can join to help reduce the number of useless pubbies on my team.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

I could understand if someone prefers the torps on the Tirpitz over the secondaries on the Bismarck. But I think hydro is a huge advantage especially in ranked. I have no qualms about wading into a cap circle, seeing torps almost as soon as they are launched and responding with hull-melting secondaries.

Chapayev needs Concealment Expert, Demolition Expert, Expert Marksmanship. Everything else to preference.

Those are what I figured. I'm liking the concealment rating on the Chapayev. I'm sticking the damage control mods on it but I'm not sure yet. I'll have to see how often my rudder or engine gets knocked out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

It's great?

It's fast, the guns murder people, and you can shoot like 25km or something absurd with it using the spotter plane, nothing like trolling people at the start of the match by firing into their spawn.

AA on it is crappy though, otherwise I enjoy it.

Also that rare occasion when you citadel a cruiser for 10000 damage per round. It's hilarious.

"It's great" -a thing that literally should never be said about the Myogi by anyone, ever.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's great!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

It's great, to murder with a gneis

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

It's great, to murder with a gneis

You'll only see it when someone idiotically divisions it with a T5. And someone doing such with a Myogi would probably be just as easy to kill in a T7. :v:

And yes, the Myogi is terrible. In many ways I'd take a Kawachi over it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I haven't played the Myogi in over a year I think but mentioning it gives me flashbacks. It was absolute garbage. The Kongo is great though, unlike US battleships it can actually reposition and disengage. If you aren't hitting things, get closer (with the Myogi this does not actually help). Don't be that BB guy who sits in the back and snipes. No you don't have much armor but don't show broadside and you're gonna be fine.

I too would also like some people to division with on EU. The 2PAC (WoT clan) regulars just call me retarded when I say I'm playing boats. I'm renhanxue in game and TheFluff on discord, hit me up.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 30, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The Ichizuchi is a better t4 ijn bb than the myogi. There, I said it. As hot garbage as that ship is, it is still better than the myogi at the same tier. Sadly, all t4 BBs feel like hot garbage when next to a nikolai.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Sometimes you manage to drag a team to victory despite their greatest efforts to lose.

Only regret is missing the High Caliber. Cannot have been by much. Also some enjoyment after so, SO many utterly terrible teams today.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The sonar is a big part of why the Bismarck is awesome. I do reasonably well with the Tirpitz but I've mostly done ranked in my Bismarck, and sonar is vital. I can't imagine it won't be equally important in random with even less than coordination. The Tirpitz probably needs something to boost it to the level of the NC and Amagi.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
what are german cruisers supposed to do against battleships

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Either torp rush or AP the superstructure.

But really watch the gently caress out is the answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Asproigerosis posted:

With Demolition Expert, the Hindenberg is one of the best fire starters in the game. 12 rounds every 9 seconds with an 17-18% Fire Chance (depending on flags) and with shell arcs good enough to hit BBs at any range. The Roon is the same with 75% of the barrels but better concealment.

At lower tiers, I've found the Konigsberg (and thus probably also the Nurnberg) to do absolutely sick AP damage to BB superstructures. The Yorck is another ships with very good HE performance and it is less glassy than Konigsberg or Nurnberg.

The Hipper I can see being a problem vs BBs, but I always thought it was the worst T8 cruiser.