Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The songs in this ep were way better than in the premiere! Also my Josh loathing is reaching new levels. Darryl was so goddamn adorable whenever he showed up :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

I still think Josh is basically fine. White Josh, however, continues to reach new peaks of awesomeness with each episode. I never would have guessed that the start of last season that he and Darryl would end up being my favorites.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Just finished watching too. This episode got back to the emotional rollercoaster that I love riding with this show. Lots of thoughts:

White Josh rules. So hard. I love the weird undercurrent of antagonism between him and Rebecca that goes all the way back to the garbage disposal incident.

Also loved Heathers bit.

So so many good lines in this show but I lost it at "you get the butt"

(New paragraph idea: the dinosaur donut is an analogy for Rebecca - Josh and Greg just need to figure out how to break her in half and share her?)

The songs were better this episode.

Also loved the depiction of female friendship between Paula and Rebecca. Rebecca has some work to do on her end but ultimately they still really love each other and want what's best for each other.

More sympathy for Rebecca now then I had last episode. Then it with her cuddling with the Emory sweatshirt really got me.

I like that Rebecca is seeing models of positive change (and the hard work it takes) from Paula and Greg and hope that she'll take some of those opportunities to both learn how to support others and also to work on her own poo poo with the help of her friends. Except we won't get there in one episode.

Last season the drama bomb that got me hooked was Rebecca's terrible date with Greg in ep 3. Will there be an ep 3 drama bomb in the next episode - or will it just be Rebecca fretting about her perceived love triangle? Edit: this happened is episode 4 so I don't know what I'm talking about.

Also, what about Valencia? Aren't we going to see her again? When/how?

Knockknees fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 29, 2016

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Personally I'm looking forward to the love triangle falling apart when both Greg and Josh decide she isn't worth the bullshit, and she actually has to focus on working on herself.

I suspect this is where the show is going and I'm all down for it.

Knockknees posted:

White Josh rules. So hard. I love the weird undercurrent of antagonism between him and Rebecca that goes all the way back to the garbage disposal incident.

What was the garbage disposal incident? I can't recall

vv Clearly I need to re-watch season 1

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 29, 2016

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

FoxTerrier posted:

What was the garbage disposal incident? I can't recall

Episode 3 Rebecca stuffs an entire chicken down the garbage disposal and calls Josh telling him it's an emergency to try and get some one on one time with him. Josh brings White Josh, annoying Rebecca. White Josh isn't wearing a shirt and he's the one to actually fix the disposal, noting that it only could have broken the way it did if someone purposefully stuffed a chicken down it. Rebecca takes out her annoyance on him by making comments about his shirtlessness and implying that he is not attractive. It is funny and there is a running thread of her continuing in making those types of comments when he's around.

At least that's how I remember it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like this show a lot, but I could like it even more if Bloom's "crazy" acting wasn't by far the weakest part of the show, even if you count more than just performances. That whole "fake laugh I don't know what you're talking about! WHAT!" thing is starting to grate on me, our second time round.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
So pleased for Paula and Greg. Rebecca is perilously close to losing all my goodwill with her crap now. Yay for Mr Paula being the voice of reason and support. Did enjoy Heather and Father Brah.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Knockknees posted:

Also, what about Valencia? Aren't we going to see her again? When/how?

Gabriel Ruiz is definitely still on the show. It will happen sooner or later and it might be kinda brutal. I just hope they don't make a cliche love quadrangle plot, where she throws herself on Gregg to piss of Rebecca and Josh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Valencia not-really-spoilers: ep 5 of this season is called "Why is Josh's Ex-Girlfriend Eating Carbs?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watching the episode now and all the songs are amazing but I am so scared for Greg's pink cloud to evaporate after the "If I wanted" reprise. White Josh is the greatest of all time and he is literally perfect.

e: Though I hate Josh his boy band song was the peak of the season.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 30, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love every song in this episode, ugh this show is so good.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

FoxTerrier posted:

I still think Josh is basically fine. White Josh, however, continues to reach new peaks of awesomeness with each episode. I never would have guessed that the start of last season that he and Darryl would end up being my favorites.

hope and vaseline posted:

The songs in this ep were way better than in the premiere! Also my Josh loathing is reaching new levels. Darryl was so goddamn adorable whenever he showed up :3:

White Josh is ascendant.

Yeah the episode was great right up until the end and frankly Rebecca needs to stay the gently caress away from Greg he honestly deserves way better and should be with Heather.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Chiphunk! 😂😆

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ping Pong Girl is already my #1 song this show has ever done

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

this season is good but it hasn't had a killer song ye-*ping pong girl happens*-gently caress YEAH
Dude, the drinking song is so good.

Also, I could have done without poopy underpants reference in the Dreams song, even though the rest of it was great. Apparently I draw the line just beyond drunk pants-pissing?

MrBuddyLee fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 30, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Drinking song for me is like upper second tier. I dug it but won't give it many listens outside of the episode.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed the Drinking Song since its seems to suggest that Greg's songs are basically geared towards dudes who secretly love the Newsies.

Not that I'm one of those people.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

EmmyOk posted:

White Josh is ascendant.

Yeah the episode was great right up until the end and frankly Rebecca needs to stay the gently caress away from Greg he honestly deserves way better and should be with Heather.
I do, however, like that they didn't completely throw Rebecca under the bus this episode regarding ending her relationship with Greg. She made a clear effort with Greg in the finale and he was a drunken shitbird to her - and then apparently he sent her one text and then avoided her for a month. So I appreciated that Rebecca had enough self-esteem to call Greg out for it and that Greg called himself out on it when discussing it with Heather. True - Rebecca should in no way be with Josh, it's gross and Josh is gross, but Greg's not wholly (or even mostly) the injured party in this case.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Rewatched the episode with a friend last night.

I am thinking more about Gregs admission that he was on his way to tell Rebecca he loved her. First of all, he kind of did the grand gesture Rebecca wanted except because real life is real life, and driving drunk first thing in the morning gets you arrested. Second, thinking back to dream ghosts, to be told she is loved is what she really really wants from the world. Putting aside the fact that she barely ever heard or felt that from friends or family growing up - I don't think she has EVER heard that from a romantic partner.

The pain she is feeling at the end is so hard to watch because of that.

On the other hand Greg deserves better.

The drinking song and ping pong song hold up really well on rewatch.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Personally I just can't help laughing about Rebecca's complete failure to consider the fact that Josh refused to commit to Valencia for years; and how that just might mean he could have a teensy problem committing to her too.

Seriously, how is she shocked the guy terrified of commitment/growing-up isn't gung-ho to grab a ring and a 30 year mortgage with her? I know it's because she's still viewing him as a fantasy rather than a real person, but still!

Very much looking forward to Valencia coming back and making some pointed remarks on the situation.

Knockknees posted:

I am thinking more about Gregs admission that he was on his way to tell Rebecca he loved her. First of all, he kind of did the grand gesture Rebecca wanted except because real life is real life, and driving drunk first thing in the morning gets you arrested. Second, thinking back to dream ghosts, to be told she is loved is what she really really wants from the world. Putting aside the fact that she barely ever heard or felt that from friends or family growing up - I don't think she has EVER heard that from a romantic partner.

The drinking song and ping pong song hold up really well on rewatch.

Greg and Rebecca would be an awesome couple...in like five years. After they've both dealt with a ton of their poo poo. That's the end-game I'm rooting for.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still a teensy bit concerned about the show's decresed budget, but this episode was great. I loved Josh and Greg's Green Day/Great Big Sea pastiches. Paula's song was also great, but I was a bit bothered by the way she blew off Darryl at first. Like, be polite to your boss before you put his recommendation in the circular filing cabinet!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Knockknees posted:

Yeah I think you nailed it, except that anyone who DOES love her isn't good enough for whatever reason. See: Trent, who I realize is creepy as gently caress but is definitely around to show that Rebecca only wants validation and love from the people who are unlikely to ever give it to her. The perfect boyfriend who just wants to worship her and probably wear her skin shows up and she kicks him out ASAP. I have a feeling if Greg HAD said "I love you" she probably would have found some reason why he wasn't quite so alluring anymore, feeding straight into his own insecurities about how commitment equals rejection.

edit: And if Josh starts becoming a better boyfriend that will be when she finally starts seeing him as a flawed person and not Prince Joshie from her dreams.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mameluke posted:

I'm still a teensy bit concerned about the show's decresed budget, but this episode was great. I loved Josh and Greg's Green Day/Great Big Sea pastiches. Paula's song was also great, but I was a bit bothered by the way she blew off Darryl at first. Like, be polite to your boss before you put his recommendation in the circular filing cabinet!

Darryl is more hosed up Then any of them, he would do nothing

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Prediction: Rebecca will help pull Valencia from a deep depression and they'll briefly become besties. Bonus awesome if all three of Rebecca, Valencia and Heather get together for a bitchfest about men. Trying to think what genre would best serve the three of them. Maybe TLC/Salt and Pepa/Destiny's Child? Bootylicious parody?

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

FoxTerrier posted:

Personally I just can't help laughing about Rebecca's complete failure to consider the fact that Josh refused to commit to Valencia for years; and how that just might mean he could have a teensy problem committing to her too. !

[...]

Greg and Rebecca would be an awesome couple...in like five years. After they've both dealt with a ton of their poo poo. That's the end-game I'm rooting for.

That is a great point about Valencia! I'm afraid I fell into the narrative trap of thinking of Valencia as an antagonist, so it didn't evenoccur to me that Rebecca could/should be learning from Valencias experiences. But yeah, totally.

I agree that Greg and Rebecca would be perfect in five years, especially if they can get away from each other and escape the drama cycle for a while. Unfortunately I don't think that's how it's going to play out on the show because they need Rebecca to stay "crazy" to justify the title of the show and drama has to occur so that there's a plot.

I also wonder if they want to completely buck the endgame of ending up with a romantic partner at all, since "happily ever" after seems like just the kind of tripe they'd want to turn in its head. But I don't want to see that - I like Greg so I want the protagonist to end up with Greg gosh darn it!

On another note, if white josh has the keys to Darryls apartment, has he met his daughter yet? I wonder how that is going for all of them?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rebecca is very deluded so she likely thinks the reason Josh couldn't commit to Valencia is because she so obviously wasn't right for him. However, Rebecca so obviously is, so he should have no problems committing to her!......!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Rebecca is very deluded so she likely thinks the reason Josh couldn't commit to Valencia is because she so obviously wasn't right for him. However, Rebecca so obviously is, so he should have no problems committing to her!......!

Yes. But at the same time, up to the end of the last episode, she was incapable of noticing flaws in his behavior. So in her mind she just didn't work hard enough. This love kernels relationship is ridiculously unbalanced and unhealthy and sadly, I know a few couples who are exactly like this. :smith:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think she's slowly recognizing his flaws, or at least she clearly KNOWS he's not reciprocating this relationship and is just lying to herself about it. The key being she clearly knows she's lying to herself about it.

Josh and Rebecca won't last half the season, IMO. Josh is being too much of a dick and Rebecca's too conscious of it. I can't imagine Greg takes her back as he seems in a healthy enough place to realize that would be a mistake and be bothered by the Josh aspect of it all. So I'm hopefully we get Rebecca just being single for awhile and working on her poo poo.

In a certain way Crazy Ex-Girlfriend built itself a trap in the same way How I Met Your Mother did. We all like Rebecca enough that we kind of want her to stop hurting herself and others, but if she did get too healthy the show kind of loses its premise. That's a tough line to walk over time because eventually you get diminishing returns and people ask "when the gently caress is the mother going to show up?"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have to respond to loads of stuff in this thread because there's so many good posts but my dinner is on and it's been a long oul day.

STAC Goat posted:

In a certain way Crazy Ex-Girlfriend built itself a trap in the same way How I Met Your Mother did. We all like Rebecca enough that we kind of want her to stop hurting herself and others, but if she did get too healthy the show kind of loses its premise. That's a tough line to walk over time because eventually you get diminishing returns and people ask "when the gently caress is the mother going to show up?"

I think you're right and that's why I kind of hope it ends this season or the next.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think the right story arch would be for this season to be about Rebecca recognizing that she needs to work on herself and stop trying to fix everything with a guy and then S3 being about her actually finding a happy relationship with Greg once they've both set out on the right path towards healthy living.

Carla can be well on her way to being a lawyer, Josh can be growing up and maybe even re-united with a Valencia that has worked on herself after everything that happened. White Josh and Darryl live happily ever after. Hector and Heather meet and discover they're soulmates. This isn't a show that needs to go 5 seasons.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I think she's slowly recognizing his flaws, or at least she clearly KNOWS he's not reciprocating this relationship and is just lying to herself about it. The key being she clearly knows she's lying to herself about it.

Josh and Rebecca won't last half the season, IMO. Josh is being too much of a dick and Rebecca's too conscious of it. I can't imagine Greg takes her back as he seems in a healthy enough place to realize that would be a mistake and be bothered by the Josh aspect of it all. So I'm hopefully we get Rebecca just being single for awhile and working on her poo poo.

Greg may seem emotionally healthy right now, but Guardrail literally told him that this is mostly just the pink cloud phase and that he will be crushing down hard.

And when it comes to the comparison to HIMYM, I disagree. Ted was almost the worst part of this show, because he was always excruciating mediocre and personality free. He was the bland audience stand-in who kept sleeping with hot woman, while being whiny about it. The rest of the cast was just so good that I managed to forget Ted most of the time.
The main character of this show is quite different. Rebecca is actually thoroughly developed and even though she is weird, you can understand what's causing it. It's not easy to relate to her, but if you do, you really do. And I love this show, but frankly I don't think there will be a third season. So at least it will probably end on a strong note. For the consumer, two great seasons are probably better than a dozen terrible ones.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

EmmyOk posted:

I have to respond to loads of stuff in this thread because there's so many good posts but my dinner is on and it's been a long oul day.

I think you're right and that's why I kind of hope it ends this season or the next.

I honestly think the season finale last year would have been the perfect end to the show. Rebecca finally revealing that she moved for Josh and him realizing that she's out of her loving mind would have been the perfect cap to this show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Greg may seem emotionally healthy right now, but Guardrail literally told him that this is mostly just the pink cloud phase and that he will be crushing down hard.
Well I should clarify that he's started down the healthy path rather than being genuinely healed. Obvious he has a lot of work to do before he's truly healthy. Which is why hooking up with Rebecca now would be a mistake but could be fine a season from now.

quote:

And when it comes to the comparison to HIMYM, I disagree. Ted was almost the worst part of this show, because he was always excruciating mediocre and personality free. He was the bland audience stand-in who kept sleeping with hot woman, while being whiny about it. The rest of the cast was just so good that I managed to forget Ted most of the time.
The main character of this show is quite different. Rebecca is actually thoroughly developed and even though she is weird, you can understand what's causing it. It's not easy to relate to her, but if you do, you really do. And I love this show, but frankly I don't think there will be a third season. So at least it will probably end on a strong note. For the consumer, two great seasons are probably better than a dozen terrible ones.

The main reason Ted was as bad as he was because his overly romantic "this is all leading me somewhere" stuff dragged on for way, way too long, IMO. He was always a little laughable, which was always clearly recognized by the show from the very first episode when he tells a girl he just met he loves her and everyone gives him poo poo for it. But that became less funny and more annoying as time went on and the string of hot ladies he was hooking up with became a lot more pointless and obnoxious since it was all stated time wasting by the show's inherent premise.

I don't think its about whether you like Rebecca or not. I think we all do. But we also all recognize that she does some really lovely things to the people around her and if she can't correct that then eventually that's going to wear on us and our opinions of her. Or, you know, most of us. There's always those "Walter White is the good guy" people.

But, I mean, we seem to agree that the premise basically has a 2-3 season shelf life. Which is fine. There's nothing wrong with a story that has a clear beginning, middle, and end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know if this show would get a third season with the crappy ratings for s2 so far. Although it is on Fridays so it's not as bad as it could be

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mostly I hope they know when they're done because once they start down the end game I want to finish it properly. It would get annoying if they tried to tie it up for S2 and then got a miracle S3 and had to blow poo poo up again. And conversely when this is all over and I watch the last episode I'd like to leave it thinking Rebecca is headed in the right direction.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

I dunno, I'll be the outlier and say I could see it having several successful seasons. The trick would be to allow Rebecca to improve gradually over time, while simultaneously deploying the inevitable drama bombs with care. I doubt that will happen given ratings though, so yeah, I'll just bask in the second season.

I really, really hope that if the show disappears after S2 though that another in a similar style will come along. With Galavant already gone I need somewhere to get my TV musical comedy fix, dammit!

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
The creators have stated they have an ideal number of seasons in mind for their planned arcs: 4 seasons would be perfect in their plan. Maybe 5 if they are pushed to extend.

But as with any show they have to be ready for the plug to be pulled at any time.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't even know if this show would get a third season with the crappy ratings for s2 so far. Although it is on Fridays so it's not as bad as it could be

It's the CW, don't worry.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Regarding the HIMYM comparisons, the show fell apart mainly due to awful pacing issues. The first four seasons or so are pretty drat great, and then we spend the better part of six years with absolutely everyone stuck in neutral. Speed up those relationships and you could basically tell the same story with 1000x more effect.

The real solution was to have Ted meet the mother a few seasons in and then focus on building out their relationship and Ted gradually realizing what real companionship looks like, but instead they stubbornly stuck to their guns and dragged the whole show down the abyss.

Crazy Ex has steered away from those pitfalls again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm just going to leave this here.
https://twitter.com/Racheldoesstuff/status/794499791522824192

I wonder if there is a single Trump supporter who likes this show.
It's a romantic musical comedy with a Jewish female lead and a cast which intentionally shows as much diversity as possible, written by outspoken feminists and supporters of planned parenthood.
That is basically the exact opposite of their taste. It's only missing the hate for guns.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread