Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

RatHat posted:

This game is pretty bad at explaining some mechanics. How does Rodeo work? What's the cooldown on the Anti-Pilot fog? If a pilot climbing you has that ability that makes it so the titan doesn't tell when they're climbing, is there literally any way to tell a pilot is climbing you?

First time you rodeo a titan you steal it's battery, be aware that that marks you to that titan for 30 seconds so you want to bail the gently caress out indoors asap. You can then give that battery to one of the friendly titans by rodeoing them and inserting it which gives them a shield. If the battery of the enemy titan is gone anytime you rodeo again you will grenade the battery hole and do major damage to it.

Titan will still warn you once the pilot with silent ability is on top of you. It just masks the climbing sound. Pilot fog is not on a cooldown. You get it %30 to your titan core. If you look bottom left you will see a checkmark on the bar that fills up , that's when you get it. I am not sure if extra smoke ability gives you one to start with or an extra, haven't tried it yet. Honestly if a pilot is on you I would just wait for him to steal the battery and then punch his rear end when he is trying to run away. You can then grab the battery from his corpse and insert it to your titan for shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Does the ingame currency buy anything unique, or is it just there to be a shortcut to unlocks you don't want to wait for the level of or skip the challenge for?

Senethro fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 30, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

keyframe posted:

First time you rodeo a titan you steal it's battery, be aware that that marks you to that titan for 30 seconds so you want to bail the gently caress out indoors asap. You can then give that battery to one of the friendly titans by rodeoing them and inserting it which gives them a shield. If the battery of the enemy titan is gone anytime you rodeo again you will grenade the battery hole and do major damage to it.

Titan will still warn you once the pilot with silent ability is on top of you. It just masks the climbing sound. Pilot fog is not on a cooldown. You get it %30 to your titan core. If you look bottom left you will see a checkmark on the bar that fills up , that's when you get it. I am not sure if extra smoke ability gives you one to start with or an extra, haven't tried it yet. Honestly if a pilot is on you I would just wait for him to steal the battery and then punch his rear end when he is trying to run away. You can then grab the battery from his corpse and insert it to your titan for shield.

Oh neat. What does stealing the battery do? Just take a bunch of their health?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

RatHat posted:

In Titanfall 1 all titans came equipped with a regenerating shield as standard. Now you need a battery.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is there some cool feature of the Volt I'm missing? Seems worse than the CAR and Alternator and on the stat sheet it does as much damage as those two but with a slower rate of fire. Feels like a crappier Flatline

I also unlocked the Cold War to see what the hell it does and it's a charge weapon that shoots 4 lightning grenades in an arc. I wish it were an anti-titan weapon and not a primary

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 30, 2016

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Senethro posted:

Does the ingame currency buy anything unique, or is it just there to be a shortcut to unlocks you don't want to wait for the level of or skip the challenge for?

It is shortcut to unlocks. Also anything you buy with in game currency is available to you once you regen your pilot. I would recommend saving up for dice roll boost asap.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Senethro posted:

It does that and you can spend 10 on a coliseum ticket

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

RatHat posted:

Lets you give a shield to a friendly Titan (or your Titan)

More importantly stealing a battery gives 66% meter charge, and depositing a battery gives another 33%, so a single successful steal + share = new titanfall and boost immediately.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

victrix posted:

More importantly stealing a battery gives 66% meter charge, and depositing a battery gives another 33%, so a single successful steal + share = new titanfall and boost immediately.

Oh poo poo I didn't know that, that's awesome.

I really like the battery mechanic because it is very high risk/reward. There is a very good chance the enemy titan will kill you after stealing and if they do you basically give them a free shield. I find that grapple or stim class works best for it because you can bail out fast after stealing.

On another note, is anyone using holo pilot ability yet? It is pretty awesome sending one into the room from a doorway and killing all the enemies who are busy shooting at it.

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

Lakbay posted:

Is there some cool feature of the Volt I'm missing? Seems worse than the CAR and Alternator and on the stat sheet it does as much damage as those two but with a slower rate of fire. Feels like a crappier Flatline

The Volt's schtick is that it's supposed to be laser accurate + having far more of an effective range (I believe it was described as being like a Carbine Jr? ) from how Frothy was gushing over it.

fake edit: oh man Ion's laser shot is ridiculous if you're good at spot shooting, like it can feel like the main weapon of Ion and I'm just using her splitter rifle to gain energy faster.

And to add on to the battery chat, adding a battery will also restore some health to a titan in addition to the shield, so a fully shielded titan that's still low on health can use a battery if needed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

keyframe posted:

I really like the battery mechanic because it is very high risk/reward. There is a very good chance the enemy titan will kill you after stealing and if they do you basically give them a free shield. I find that grapple or stim class works best for it because you can bail out fast after stealing.

Do you have to get out of your titan to retrieve the battery though? That sounds pretty risky.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The G2A5 was a waste of 100 credits. A 3 hit kill semi auto, just use the Hemlock. Maybe it's better with controller aim assist but I found the Hemlock much more reliable.

Tried SMR again with a pistol for two rounds and it was horrible. Great titan damage but you are standing there firing off three seconds of rockets to make you a nice easy target for all the Tones. It's still absolute garbage against a pilot unless they are asleep. Titan damage doesn't translate into score and I didn't find the slight increase in speed you can kill grunts/spectres worth it. It would have made more sense back in the Anti Titan tree.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Just a heads up: check your email for an email from "Titanfall 2" with the subject "The Next Evolution of Combat Is Here" because that has a code for the Dew and Doritos promotion that gives you a special execution.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Exposure posted:

And to add on to the battery chat, adding a battery will also restore some health to a titan in addition to the shield, so a fully shielded titan that's still low on health can use a battery if needed.
Another great boon to getting a battery is that it will give a titan I think 20% of it's core, which in addition to a shield and health can be that little extra bit that can help a friendly titan to stay alive.

Carecat posted:

The G2A5 was a waste of 100 credits. A 3 hit kill semi auto, just use the Hemlock. Maybe it's better with controller aim assist but I found the Hemlock much more reliable.

Tried SMR again with a pistol for two rounds and it was horrible. Great titan damage but you are standing there firing off three seconds of rockets to make you a nice easy target for all the Tones. It's still absolute garbage against a pilot unless they are asleep. Titan damage doesn't translate into score and I didn't find the slight increase in speed you can kill grunts/spectres worth it. It would have made more sense back in the Anti Titan tree.
Honestly the G2 is pretty good from longer ranges and considered more of a semi-auto sniper rifle; I think it's way better with ummmm I think it's called the Match Trigger mod that removes the delay between shots if you're just mashing the fire button.

But yeah, I think only the EPG is great in the grenadier category. The SMR rockets don't do enough damage and give people enough time to react and get away, the charge up time on the Cold War is weird and doesn't do enough damage in a volley, and the Softball can be fine with practice but the EPG is quicker to pick up and start using.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the Ion's alt fire worth using? The description makes it sound like it drains your core energy which is really bad.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

RatHat posted:

Is the Ion's alt fire worth using? The description makes it sound like it drains your core energy which is really bad.
It drains the energy that your vortex and shoulder laser runs off of; so if you use those more, then yeah it's bad. But it doesn't take away from your core.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

keyframe posted:

Just a couple corrections:

Titans themselves actually have no concept of battery ownership. Whether you rodeo a titan and steal its battery or drop a grenade into its battery hole is actually completely dependent on if YOU have a battery. If you are already carrying a battery every titan you rodeo onto will be battery-less and you will drop a grenade into. Vice versa, if you rodeo a titan, steal its battery, and then give the battery to a friendly and then re-rodeo that same enemy titan, you will steal yet ANOTHER battery from him.

Because of this, stealing a battery and dropping a grenade into the titan actually do the exact same amount of damage.

Coincidentally you can also feed a friendly titan as many batteries as you want.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Tried this last night but I'm not sure it worked or not: Can you kill rodeo-ing pilots as Scorch by standing in your own fire?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Knifegrab posted:

Just a couple corrections:

Titans themselves actually have no concept of battery ownership. Whether you rodeo a titan and steal its battery or drop a grenade into its battery hole is actually completely dependent on if YOU have a battery. If you are already carrying a battery every titan you rodeo onto will be battery-less and you will drop a grenade into. Vice versa, if you rodeo a titan, steal its battery, and then give the battery to a friendly and then re-rodeo that same enemy titan, you will steal yet ANOTHER battery from him.

Because of this, stealing a battery and dropping a grenade into the titan actually do the exact same amount of damage.

Coincidentally you can also feed a friendly titan as many batteries as you want.

Stealing a battery also looks like an instant kill against any doomed Titan?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are the servers still down? Not getting a data centre now. :(

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Carecat posted:

Tried SMR again with a pistol for two rounds and it was horrible. Great titan damage but you are standing there firing off three seconds of rockets

Well there's your problem :v:

In all seriousness it's weird that it's not in the anti-Titan class because they didn't seem to make it any easier to kill pilots with it than when it was a full-blown AT weapon in the first game

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Just a heads up: check your email for an email from "Titanfall 2" with the subject "The Next Evolution of Combat Is Here" because that has a code for the Dew and Doritos promotion that gives you a special execution.

Seconding this, you get two codes, a dew and Doritos code and then a titanfall 2 special code that gives you a banner ("the shocker")

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I love the SMR, it's my favorite weapon because it's super fun to use

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Seconding this, you get two codes, a dew and Doritos code and then a titanfall 2 special code that gives you a banner ("the shocker")

My email only mentions the shocker, do I have to have already bought some Dew for the execution? I'd check myself but Titanfall.com is giving me a 500 error.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ninjahedgehog posted:

My email only mentions the shocker, do I have to have already bought some Dew for the execution? I'd check myself but Titanfall.com is giving me a 500 error.

Same, I only got one e-mail with the code for "the shocker".

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So this Game was really not even close on my "play this asap" list+radar.
I needed a game that fills the open slot between BF1 (for epic and tactical team battles with 2-4 buddies and old warfare ) and The Division (with the recently released Jesus Patch 1.4 alias "loot 2.0 Diablo3 Style", love the missions and shoot+loot):
I want a fast paced Shooter with Laser Stuff and sick explosions, upgrade+progress system and stunning smooth gfx and superb Sounds.
Star Wars Battlefront left me disappointed, COD is not my favorite game, but it has most elements that I needed tho.
My brother suggested to check out TF2! It is CoD Style with more fancy Moves and Acrobatics and especially Mechs.

And HOLY poo poo :swoon: does Titanfall2 offer exactly what I needed to fill the slot, what an amazing polished game and blast to play. The noise of the falling Titan you just called in 7.1 surround gives me a boner every time. I loving love this game and will join the PC Goons.

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
that iron giant ending

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Unfortunately the Smart Pistol is kinda bad for killing other pilots in TF2. It's pretty good for killing AI in Attrition and Bounty Hunt though.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

My "The Next Evolution of Combat is Here" email mentions neither the Shocker nor a Dew and Doritos code. :(

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
I hate to ask a second time but I can't find a "Titanfall Goons" network so did the network not get named that in the end, or what?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Smart pistol can shred a whole spawn camp single handed in bounty in less than a minute, it's really good for that mode

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Celery Jello posted:

I hate to ask a second time but I can't find a "Titanfall Goons" network so did the network not get named that in the end, or what?

Search for the LLJK tag, it should pop up.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

ninjahedgehog posted:

Search for the LLJK tag, it should pop up.

There's three of them: "lljk", "MechaGoonEnergonGoodie", and "electro goons".

I'm assuming it's the middle one because it's set to private but I dunno

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Celery Jello posted:

There's three of them: "lljk", "MechaGoonEnergonGoodie", and "electro goons".

I'm assuming it's the middle one because it's set to private but I dunno

Well, I guess we know the pilot limit per network! :downs:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Alehkhs posted:

The reddit network has almost 4000 people. I'm not sure why he can't find it. It's the one with over 300 people in it: [LLJK] Titanfall Goons

Attitude: Social
Membership: Public

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Alehkhs posted:

Shouldn't be near that, some of the others have thirty thousand or so.

The networks are platform specific though, I checked LLJK on PS4 earlier and saw those three almost empty networks as well.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

RossCo posted:

Shouldn't be near that, some of the others have thirty thousand or so.

The networks are platform specific though, I checked LLJK on PS4 earlier and saw those three almost empty networks as well.

Aw, that's crap. Looks like I picked the wrong console! :haw:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gunder posted:

Unfortunately the Smart Pistol is kinda bad for killing other pilots in TF2. It's pretty good for killing AI in Attrition and Bounty Hunt though.

Exactly like Titanfall 1, yes. :v:

The only time the smart pistol was good against pilots in Titanfall 1 was when it was amped.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No see, the Smart Pistol was good because for every three deaths you'd suffer while still locking on you'd kill somebody and they'd rage in chat about it for the rest of the match. In a way, it was the best gun.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

Exactly like Titanfall 1, yes. :v:

The only time the smart pistol was good against pilots in Titanfall 1 was when it was amped.

The smart pistol was the best weapon in titanfall 1

It's not as good in this game because they added the lock on indicator and you lose it as soon as you die but I can still get 3-4 kills in a match with it if I'm on a roll and make people extremely mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

They upgraded the Smart Pistol, it is now a titan :v: