Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Any link to this book and where it was used in educational curriculum?

If you google "southern history text on slavery 70s" it'll bring up a whole slew of links on it. Cut off the "70s" and it brings up more modern poo poo, like the books in use just last year which referred to slaves only as "workers" or another book which stated that slavery was only a side issue for the Civil War.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

another book which stated that slavery was only a side issue for the Civil War.

I think it was a goon who said that in elementary school you learn that the Civil War was over slavery, then in high school you learn that the Civil War was over state's rights, and finally in college you learn that the right they were fighting over was slavery.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Random Stranger posted:

I think it was a goon who said that in elementary school you learn that the Civil War was over slavery, then in high school you learn that the Civil War was over state's rights, and finally in college you learn that the right they were fighting over was slavery.

Really make's u think

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

i secretly hate pun responses so i'm doubly enjoying this

I was saying Boo-urns.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like to think that the next page is just the word "Not" in huge block type.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

quote:

We should bring back stirrup pants.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

fliptophead posted:

I watched this in a packed cinema on Friday. I loved it but people were laughing at the old effects and stuff. Some 14 yo summed it up perfectly. Although technically they weren't eaten....

Boinks posted:

Laughing at the FX in The Thing? I didn't think I could hate millennials any more, but now I do.

John Carpenter and Kurt Russell laugh like hell during the effects sequences on the dvd commentary.

Related, sort of (Spoilers for The Thing):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoONl2P8fw

Sir Nose has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Oct 30, 2016

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Solice Kirsk posted:

We should bring back stirrup pants.

"Bring back?"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sir Nose posted:

John Carpenter and Kurt Russell laugh like hell during the effects sequences on the dvd commentary.

They sure do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDPjHetAG1M&t=205s

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Boinks posted:

Laughing at the FX in The Thing? I didn't think I could hate millennials any more, but now I do.

If you listen very closely whenever there's a major FX thing going on in The Thing, you can hear Ron Wasserman singing.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Kwyndig posted:

I like to think that the next page is just the word "Not" in huge block type.

or this

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm picturing Mr. Austin Artnett patiently sitting on the toilet for two days with his pants around his ankles thinking about how great it is to be living in the future.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm picturing Mr. Austin Artnett patiently sitting on the toilet for two days with his pants around his ankles thinking about how great it is to be living in the future.

When I was a FedEx guy I would just use one of the larger boxes as a toilet when I was on the go, so I approve of toilet paper by way of small freight distributors

One day a customer walked out and opened up the back door of my truck, and there I am, sitting on a box like its a port-a-potty, reading a news paper with my pants around my ankles. I smiled and said "Hey! I'll be just a minute" and closed the door back

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Really.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Wait wtf THATs what those buttons do? So like I could buy one for cookies and accidentaly sit on one or a little toddler could find it and suddenly my bank account is overdrawn???

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes, they're stupid

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Wait wtf THATs what those buttons do? So like I could buy one for cookies and accidentaly sit on one or a little toddler could find it and suddenly my bank account is overdrawn???
I also wouldn't be surprised if it can be hacked and recruited into DDOS botnet. Literal Internet Of poo poo(paper).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

When you set them up to your account I'm pretty sure you can set a max-at-once order amount

But you can't stop a toddler from hitting it every day :twisted:

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Len posted:

This reminds me of when I worked at a day care. I was helping one of my kids with his history homework and his Ohio history book had a chapter on Edison and how great he was. Obviously that's nowhere near as horrible as those pictures but it just piled praise on the man when he was kind of a shitlord.
Edison was a decently sized cock. Even so, the internet has really exaggerated his malfeasance in recent years. Edison was really smart and an outstanding inventor, even with his idiot obsession against AC currents. Somehow the revelation that many of his inventions were commercially viable improvements of prior designs rather than the very first iteration has turned into "he stole them all!!"

At least Topsy made it out better than Mary.

Whatev has a new favorite as of 21:17 on Oct 30, 2016

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

What a strange looking rabbit.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

thecluckmeme posted:

When you set them up to your account I'm pretty sure you can set a max-at-once order amount

Yes you can, one of the hugely touted features (to prevent you and your wife from independently noticing you're out of whatever and hitting the button to double-order) is that a second order can't be placed through the button until the first one is delivered.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTv0N_9M2vY

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Whatev posted:

Edison was a decently sized cock. Even so, the internet has really exaggerated his malfeasance in recent years. Edison was really smart and an outstanding inventor, even with his idiot obsession against AC currents. Somehow the revelation that many of his inventions were commercially viable improvements of prior designs rather than the very first iteration has turned into "he stole them all!!"

At least Topsy made it out better than Mary.

You do realize most of his 'inventions' were actually made by people in his labs and he took the credit, right. Hell, he had a guy who did all his math for him. Edison used the invention equivalent of the infinite monkeys with typewriters method, he just threw people and money at a problem until it was solved. That's not really invention since he didn't put in the sweat himself. He owned a research laboratory, we don't call people who do that inventors, except for him.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

You do realize most of his 'inventions' were actually made by people in his labs and he took the credit, right. Hell, he had a guy who did all his math for him. Edison used the invention equivalent of the infinite monkeys with typewriters method, he just threw people and money at a problem until it was solved. That's not really invention since he didn't put in the sweat himself. He owned a research laboratory, we don't call people who do that inventors, except for him.

He was the Steve jobs of his time. Or Steve jobs was the Edison of his time.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Destroy Western civilisation, imo.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib

Kwyndig posted:

sounds to me like he invented the idea of a research lab.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kwyndig posted:

How different from the rest of recorded history do you think this is

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MageMage posted:

What a strange looking rabbit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What a strange looking axe wound

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

yeah Xerxes didnt actually win any battles he just had a bunch of guys to fight for him

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Does the facilitation of allowing a device or idea grant one the claim of bringing said idea or device to life?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Kwyndig posted:

Edison already had several successful inventions under his belt before he pioneered the industrial research lab, which in and of itself is supremely praiseworthy. How do you think he attracted the capital to build the lab in the first place? He also generally directed the research in his labs and most certainly was hands-on involved, working famously ludicrous hours. He did hire on some math dudes to expand the lab's knowledge; I'm not sure how recognizing a knowledge gap and filling it is bad. That he did no math himself is nonetheless a myth. A cursory glance at his notebooks shows that he had a thorough understanding of applied mathematics.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

thecluckmeme posted:

That's actually the default, if you want an order every time you press you have to turn that on specifically. Dash buttons are cool and good.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

What a strange looking axe wound

-your dad, three minutes before you were conceived

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Trig Discipline posted:

:drat:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey now I don't like bill either but let's be fair. He had to have said that 33 minutes to like 72 hours and three minutes before bill was conceived.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Paladinus posted:

Destroy Western civilisation, imo.

Why stop there? Why not engineer a virus to wipe out all of mankind.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

for fucks sake posted:

Why stop there? Why not engineer a virus to wipe out all of mankind.

Dang, you marketers for the new Dan Brown movie should be working harder. Madea is beating you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

• Locked thread