Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
12" PowerBook was eminently portable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Cingulate posted:

The non-retina Macbooks are kind of a poo poo. The later rMBPs however are amazing.

On the contrary, I love my mid-2012 non-retina MBP. I was considering upgrading this year so I can kick this one up to my Mom, but now... ugh. From 2013-2015 none of the upgrades were large enough to persuade me, when I used to Craigslist shuffle Macs every two years. This laptop has been a tank that's handled everything I've thrown at it, but the GPU is starting to reach its limit after 4 years.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

So I tried to 13" non touchbar MacBook Pro out today the the Apple Store

Trackpad didn't seem that YUUUUGEEE but then again I never felt the previous ones were small. The 15" one seems to be much bigger. Maybe the 13" non-touchbar one is the same as prev models? The Taptic Engine feedback actually feels pretty good and close to an actual click. The 12" MacBook felt off maybe because of the slightly smaller size?

The butterfly keyboard is still a no go for me. It travels more than a 12", but way less than prev Pro. If you're a fast typer and that's important to you, you'll be slowed down. Maybe this is a practice thing and you just have to get used to it but I'm not going to pay to find out.

The Apple Logo w/out backlight looks like it'll be a huge fingerprint magnet. The one I looked at had a lot of smudges/fingerprints.

It felt kinda lighter? Not really sure the lightness was worth it for a smaller battery.

I saw a touchbar 15" behind a glass case and the touchbar just seems kinda tiny. I'm interested if it's going to get used or if it'll just be like 3d touch.

none of what I saw really changed my mind. the lack of a sd reader is a no go for me. keyboard could be bearable. screen still looks nice. i kinda wish this was their normal macbook line and the "PRO" line was thicker with more battery and still some other ports. i guess apple is really banking on people buying a whole bunch of dongles until more usb-c stuff gets released.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the deal with the keyboard? No travel?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
MobileTechReview youtube review of the stock 13" is out - she doesn't sound that happy, though the Geekbench scores are interesting. Seems like the entry-level i5 is about as fast as the 13" i7 from the previous generation. Really interested to see how the 28W parts bench when those units ship. Also curious to see how much worse the battery life is on the higher-end models.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strong Sauce posted:

i kinda wish this was their normal macbook line and the "PRO" line was thicker with more battery and still some other ports.
Please no.

Strong Sauce posted:

i guess apple is really banking on people buying a whole bunch of dongles until more usb-c stuff gets released.
They're trying to force USB-C stuff being released.

Luceo posted:

On the contrary, I love my mid-2012 non-retina MBP. I was considering upgrading this year so I can kick this one up to my Mom, but now... ugh. From 2013-2015 none of the upgrades were large enough to persuade me, when I used to Craigslist shuffle Macs every two years. This laptop has been a tank that's handled everything I've thrown at it, but the GPU is starting to reach its limit after 4 years.
The non-retina Pro's are huge and have terrible battery. (Compared to the retina Pro.)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Yeah these new switches are shallower. I would say they're now between the 12" Macbooks and the prev gen chiclet keyboards. Since the 12" keys are pretty much just a slight bump, just imagine the height of a Mac chiclet keyboard halved and you have it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is the Non-Touchbar available for testing in stores?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tab8715 posted:

I haven't used the new one yet but the MacBook is like a surface touch keyboard or something, the buttons are barely there

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Tab8715 posted:

Strong Sauce posted:

So I tried to 13" non touchbar MacBook Pro out today the the Apple Store

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cingulate posted:

The non-retina Pro's are huge and have terrible battery. (Compared to the retina Pro.)
Yea they feel so much bigger than they are, but I guess I never notice the battery to be much worse. My big gripe is the screen, once you go retina you can't go back.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

The YUUUGEEE Apple Store in SF only had 1 model. Another 15" touchbar was behind a glass enclosure. I'm guessing at best the stores have one of them to test out.

Cingulate posted:

Please no.
They're trying to force USB-C stuff being released.

Eh, yeah that's why we have a iPhone with a USB-C port...

USB-C is the future. But it isn't as though HDMI, USB3, or SD cards are decades old and should just be retired. I guess time will tell if Apple doing this "forces" USB-C to become ubiquitous or if it just "forces" consumers to buy a whole bunch of dongles.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

eames posted:

It doesn't work, not even in Windows.

That seems to be more because Apple hasn't updated Boot Camp to support the new hardware, so I'm not ready to write it off yet. The Razer seems overpriced anyway. The Devil Box seems alright for price.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Strong Sauce posted:

The YUUUGEEE Apple Store in SF only had 1 model. Another 15" touchbar was behind a glass enclosure. I'm guessing at best the stores have one of them to test out.
What's my chances of seeing one in a store in Germany? :(

Strong Sauce posted:

Eh, yeah that's why we have a iPhone with a USB-C port...

USB-C is the future. But it isn't as though HDMI, USB3, or SD cards are decades old and should just be retired. I guess time will tell if Apple doing this "forces" USB-C to become ubiquitous or if it just "forces" consumers to buy a whole bunch of dongles.
It's sure gonna hurt, and I'm sure Apple don't mind selling laughably overpriced dongles.
But it's a necessary growing pain. And who else is willing to do this? Without Apple, would we still have LAN ports in our 5 pound laptops?

Not saying this one is a safe bet - maybe it will fail and the next gen will have 2 USB-A ports again.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Unlikely, USB-C is the future and nearly everyone is onboard but someone had to pull the trigger.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We had to get rid of optical drives and Ethernet because they no longer physically fit. There's no reason to not keep HDMI around.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Morales posted:

We had to get rid of optical drives and Ethernet because they no longer physically fit. There's no reason to not keep HDMI around.
Can't that end up with USB-C eventually too? (I have no idea about ports.)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Cingulate posted:

If you say so. I find this laptop to be laptop-sized and it has plenty of battery for the times I need to use it on battery. I was also able to upgrade the RAM, swap in my own SSD, and replace the optical drive with the original spinny drive to have 1.25 TB of storage internally. All of that upgradeability is lost for the sake of thinness and selling more laptops. So, no, this laptop is not poo poo considering that it's lasted me four years already and has been the best computer I've ever owned. But there's no good option to replace it, which is perplexing in 2016.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bob Morales posted:

Did you really expect HDMI to last with Airplay around?

I see ATVs on a presentation carts all the time. Works great for everyone in the Apple ecosystem, adapter-free.

We even use them for minor ingestion of stills and video in the network TV facilities where I work. It's magic.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

All of that upgradeability is lost for the sake of thinness and selling more laptops.
Why can't Apple stop trying to sell more laptops? What is this, capitalism?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Can't that end up with USB-C eventually too? (I have no idea about ports.)

Yea but it's so nice having the built in port on my Retina

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Whomever joked that the startup chime was next to go was prophetic.

http://www.iclarified.com/57557/apple-kills-the-mac-startup-chime-with-the-new-macbook-pro

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Look at this weird SSD

Also they got rid of the startup chime? I know the iPad wakes up when you open the Smart Cover but I don't want my Mac turning on when I open it if its powered off.

https://pingie.com/2016/10/28/apple-says-goodbye-to-the-startup-chime-with-the-new-macbook-pro/

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So am I understanding correctly that even the ultra-high-end MBP15 only has USB-C? Meaning my existing power supplies won't work, and I have to get adapters for SD cards and HDMI, and get new connectors for my iPhone/iPad/Watch?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Why can't Apple stop trying to sell more laptops? What is this, capitalism?

Yep, it is. They're free to become less consumer-friendly, and I'm free to point it out as bullshit and spend my money elsewhere. Oh, wait, not if I want to use macOS.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Do people still sync their iPads/iPhones with their computers? I don't think I've done that since the 3GS.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

Yep, it is. They're free to become less consumer-friendly, and I'm free to point it out as bullshit and spend my money elsewhere. Oh, wait, not if I want to use macOS.
Making them thinner is being customer friendly. It's a portable.

bone app the teeth posted:

Do people still sync their iPads/iPhones with their computers? I don't think I've done that since the 3GS.
I hook up mine to my computer when I teether on the evening train back home. iPhone doesn't have enough battery :colbert:

Also it's not thin enough.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm glad the startup chime is gone. I've been removing it through a Terminal command for years.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Making them thinner is being customer friendly. It's a portable.

It's a "Pro" portable as well, and thinness has reached diminishing returns, to a point where it's become a joke.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm glad the startup chime is gone. I've been removing it through a Terminal command for years.

How do I do this?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

bone app the teeth posted:

I backup my data to my computers. iCloud space is too small and I don't really trust Apple's cloud services.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Luceo posted:

It's a "Pro" portable as well, and thinness has reached diminishing returns, to a point where it's become a joke.

Thin is nice, but yeah. When it starts to interfere with things like key travel, you probably need to back off a skosh.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

I'm sure a bunch of people thought that when the Air came out, and a bunch of people will say it when the first Pro is sub-1cm while being more powerful than today's model.

Again: I carry my Air with me 4 hours a day. I'm drat glad it's as thin as it is, and I hope they can make it thinner.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

So am I understanding correctly that even the ultra-high-end MBP15 only has USB-C? Meaning my existing power supplies won't work, and I have to get adapters for SD cards and HDMI, and get new connectors for my iPhone/iPad/Watch?

What rock did you crawl out from under?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cingulate posted:

I'm sure a bunch of people thought that when the Air came out, and a bunch of people will say it when the first Pro is sub-1cm while being more powerful than today's model.

When the first Air came out it was a slow piece of crap with a tiny HD, SSD which was actually slows in some benchmarks, it only had a single USB port and battery that barely lasted four hours.

It took two revisions and they got to something usable with more ports (they even gave it an SD card), and real performance and battery life.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Again: I carry my Air with me 4 hours a day. I'm drat glad it's as thin as it is, and I hope they can make it thinner.

Right, and you have an Air, a machine designed specifically to be as light and thin as possible. The Pro is ostensibly designed for people who need more power and are willing to sacrifice a little portability for it. But now they're saying that 32GB of memory requires too much power in their Pro laptop. :rolleye:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

Right, and you have an Air, a machine designed specifically to be as light and thin as possible. The Pro is ostensibly designed for people who need more power and are willing to sacrifice a little portability for it. But now they're saying that 32GB of memory requires too much power in their Pro laptop. :rolleye:
Laptops are a compromise between portability and power. The Air and the Pro are sitting at somewhat different places on the scale. Apple is thankfully trying to extend the range of what's possible on both the power and the portability fronts.

If you really need more power, ssh into a real compute machine.

Bob Morales posted:

When the first Air came out it was a slow piece of crap with a tiny HD, SSD which was actually slows in some benchmarks, it only had a single USB port and battery that barely lasted four hours.

It took two revisions and they got to something usable with more ports (they even gave it an SD card), and real performance and battery life.
I know. I have both a first-gen and a last-gen Air with me. (Didn't buy the first one, it's an extended loan.)

Thank God they did that. All of it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
So you're saying that if Apple follows the Air playbook, sticks to their guns and keeps iterating on their vision in a year or two we're going to forget why we were even angry to begin with?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrBond posted:

So you're saying that if Apple follows the Air playbook, sticks to their guns and keeps iterating on their vision in a year or two we're going to forget why we were even angry to begin with?
No, you'll find something new.

I'm saying Apple pissing people off is good, and I hope they never stop.

(I'm not saying everything is perfect about what they do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

From 2010-2013 I was one of the Airs biggest fans and switched from a pro. Not sure why they never stuck a 1440x900 in the 13" Pro it seemed so obvious.