Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatSlacker
May 25, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Wow, just noticed she's even got the fingernails that shine like justice!

5/10 - Does not have a white Chrysler LeBaron.

(seriously though - amazing costume.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So uh... that mutilated hand in Snatch Dusters last post. Was that just a really, really convincing prosthetic?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

King Doom posted:

So uh... that mutilated hand in Snatch Dusters last post. Was that just a really, really convincing prosthetic?

Like the picture said, it was a cherry

A person with a cherry on their finger

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

McKilligan posted:

A few months ago after posting my Artorias costume all over the internet, I made a friend in Italy who asked for some construction tips on his own artorias. Turns out that we both had the same project lined up next - Soul of Cinder from Dark Souls 3. Seems like he was a lot more industrious than me, I'm still sitting on a pile of uncut EVA foam and half-finished chainmail, while he's been putting in the work.

That loving sword, goddamn.

Holy poo poo, this is good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FirstAidKite posted:

Like the picture said, it was a cherry

A person with a cherry on their finger

Yeah it's a trick of the perspective.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

McKilligan posted:

A few months ago after posting my Artorias costume all over the internet, I made a friend in Italy who asked for some construction tips on his own artorias. Turns out that we both had the same project lined up next - Soul of Cinder from Dark Souls 3. Seems like he was a lot more industrious than me, I'm still sitting on a pile of uncut EVA foam and half-finished chainmail, while he's been putting in the work.

That loving sword, goddamn.

Holy poo poo. That sword is awesome. Does he have a build log somewhere?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it's a trick of the perspective.

I bet you fucks still reported me like 4 times for it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Snatch Duster posted:

I bet you fucks still reported me like 4 times for it.

:five:

:v:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/WxfPNWN.gifv

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ew, he has a mangina!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I don't get it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I don't get it.

The character is blind.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7E-D1KvXxE

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/vAFLxQO.mp4

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Good 'ol Sexual Predator. :allears:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oh that reminds me, apparently there was a HUGE fight in the cosplay community when a white chick dressed up as that character and painted her skin brown instead of reddish brown. One side was going BLACKFACE IS RACISM and the other side was going SHE'S NOT AN AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN SHE'S AN ANTHROPOMORPHIZED GEMSTONE, IT'S NOT RACIST TO DRESS UP AS A GEMSTONE

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

:stwoon:

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh that reminds me, apparently there was a HUGE fight in the cosplay community when a white chick dressed up as that character and painted her skin brown instead of reddish brown. One side was going BLACKFACE IS RACISM and the other side was going SHE'S NOT AN AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN SHE'S AN ANTHROPOMORPHIZED GEMSTONE, IT'S NOT RACIST TO DRESS UP AS A GEMSTONE

I'm with the "it's racist" team. Okay sure she's technically a gem and not a human, but she's coded as black so strongly that I think the people who claim it's not blackface are being willfully ignorant.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm not saying blackface isn't offensive, probably because I'm white I don't fully understand though.

If you paint yourself as a black minstrel then that is really easily linked to racism. I don't understand how just changing the color of your skin is a problem though.

I accept, being a whitey, I don't get to say what's problematic in this regard, but is there more to it than centuries of racial hatred and tension. Is there something inherently racist about it?

And lol Black Pieter, there's some drama

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
omg yes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

starkebn posted:

I'm not saying blackface isn't offensive, probably because I'm white I don't fully understand though.

If you paint yourself as a black minstrel then that is really easily linked to racism. I don't understand how just changing the color of your skin is a problem though.

I accept, being a whitey, I don't get to say what's problematic in this regard, but is there more to it than centuries of racial hatred and tension. Is there something inherently racist about it?

And lol Black Pieter, there's some drama

Ruh roh

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

starkebn posted:

Well it's more nuanced than "racial hatred and tension." Blackface has been used as a passive and active tool to stereotype black Americans, almost always in the pursuit of making them look stupid, uneducated, foolish, the subject of comedy, and above all else inherently subservient to white people. It was very offensive. It was very racist. It is wholly believable that for many black people blackface is a point of emotional vulnerability. It is a big reason why the Blaxploitation films of the 70s were seen as so cathartic, even if many of them seem offensive in their own right today with depictions of cartoonish urban decay stereotypes.

You can make the argument that because blackface was stopped the better part of a century ago that the black community is holding a grudge and creating a feedback loop where they raise their children to hate blackface as a matter of principle. I don't wholly agree, but I see an argument in there. The reason I don't buy that line of reasoning in full is that media and entertainment has only switched the coding and kept casting black people in roles that reinforce racial divisions.

Look at some of the common stock characters in movies--token black person on a team of white characters, the black best friend, the sassy larger black woman, the idiotic gangbanger, the scary gangbanger, the hard-luck black kid, and so on. These characters reinforce the idea of black people as an "other" and ultimately subservient/inferior to white America. Even a lot of positive stock characters can be unintentionally problematic-- the non-threatening black authority figure (usually older), the slick black alpha male, the loving black matron figure, the wise old black person (magic negro), the faithfully religious black character (usually a woman), the hip young black woman, and the scary-but-gentle big black man all tend to be conceived solely in relation to white characters with "black" as a major descriptor (admit it "white church lady" and "black church lady" conjure up very different stereotypes in your head). This is not exclusive to mainstream media either--a lot of media made by black artists for black audiences fall into this model either deliberately or unintentionally.

It has gotten a lot better in the last 25 years, but not enough to erase the sensitivity. This is compounded by the fact that dumbass college kids will still do blackface parties and dredge up all the old stereotypes in a misguided attempt at catharsis of transgressing taboos. It is a hard movie to sympathize with as the characters are all rich Ivy Leaguers, but "Dear Black People" is a decent-enough primer on what the upper class perspective on that particular corner of blackface.

And that is my unpaid essay I wrote on blackface on a Sunday night to someone I do not know instead of doing my actual essay work. Procrastination is a bitch and a half.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Thanks, I appreciate the effort post. I'm not sure I'm much closer to having a gut feeling about it though. Intellectually I'm pretty sure I get it, I can't say I inherently "get it" though, in regards to things like cosplay I mean.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
is it racist if a pearl dresses up like a garnet

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

is it racist if a pearl dresses up like a garnet

Everything is racist

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Post Your Favorite (or Request): Coldly Compiled Lists › The Cosplay Photos Thread: Having civil discussion on divisive issues.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought Garnet is like purple or pink.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

You know what's cool? Cosplay photos.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

starkebn posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the effort post. I'm not sure I'm much closer to having a gut feeling about it though. Intellectually I'm pretty sure I get it, I can't say I inherently "get it" though, in regards to things like cosplay I mean.

I think that's the point, and indeed the root of much of the problem. The trick is to not respond with "it's just a joke, jeeze" like those dumb college kids do.

Edit: since we're posting people cosplaying as dead people:

Here is a strange Norwegian man. He might be a musician or something

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Oct 31, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Rock post this on his Instagram.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

#frontpageimgur

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

#frontpageimgur

It's a shame that would look slightly less awesome in person due to 3D and all, but that's still rad as gently caress.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Came to the cosplay thread to look at cool costumes. Now I'm pretty sure I'm secretly racist. It's been a good Sunday.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Ok now I'm just really turned on so everything's good even if I am actually a racist.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Hremsfeld posted:

Truly those are impeccable credentials.

ah yes the techpriest, they come in a wide range of ability,time and effort

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

KM Scorchio posted:

Ok now I'm just really turned on so everything's good even if I am actually a racist.

Horny racism is what America was founded on!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Silver surfer cosplay

http://i.imgur.com/UB1AkxC.mp4

starkebn has a new favorite as of 02:36 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Jesus Christ, nice 110 MB gif! Use gifv for gently caress's sake.

• Locked thread