Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought he was triggering a kill switch. Which would have made a lot more sense if we skipped the exposition section and went right to the bulkheads. I wonder if that might have been the original intent, and the cutscene was shoehorned in later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

However, Wet and Wallpaper carrying Robocop around is one of the first actually fun cutscenes in this game, so I'm glad he got blown up.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Pork Lift posted:

However, Wet and Wallpaper carrying Robocop around is one of the first actually fun cutscenes in this game, so I'm glad he got blown up.

Despite my confusion about how pathetic that grenade was, this is true and that cutscene was genuinely great.

Ruined slightly by them wasting time standing around talking about the power of friendship, but still pretty great. I especially like Limb pretending that she's helping when let's face it, she's not doing poo poo here.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
for the love of SamReimi, are you ever going to buy Fresh Sage? or are you just going to get wiped out in a battle and go, "oh, we forgot to buy Fresh Sage, whoops"! :downs:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If Bacchus' race are the 'guardians of the galaxy', as he said, then Bacchus is clearly Drax.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

Spatula City posted:

for the love of SamReimi, are you ever going to buy Fresh Sage? or are you just going to get wiped out in a battle and go, "oh, we forgot to buy Fresh Sage, whoops"! :downs:

The second one, for sure.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The existence of a universal currency is a mere artefact of convergent evolution.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

goatface posted:

The existence of a universal currency is a mere artefact of convergent evolution.

I just figured everyone in Star Ocean accepted the gold standard.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I miss The Last Story and Prank Banana so much. I was trying to make this funny, but none of Bacchus' poses are very dynamic. Have a very low effort callback.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 33: Insect Legs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXSQBRmBKgA

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

That video is such a dick move and I'm sorry

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
You're like Jim Jeffries to a heckler and I like it. Thank you.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

'E for Effort' is very much a phrase (apparently American only?). It's specifically not a letter grade, meaning that you neither really failed nor succeeded, but you definitely tried hard. (Actually it means you sucked, most commonly). Pass/Fail grades are either just that, or Complete/Incomplete in most places.

The other American thing associated with Welch Vineyard: Welch's is a popular brand of grape juice, and was once known for having an adorably annoying little girl in their commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yZTSLLTSWM

Kangra fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 2, 2016

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Kangra posted:

'E for Effort' is very much a phrase (apparently American only?). It's specifically not a letter grade, meaning that you neither really failed nor succeeded, but you definitely tried hard. (Actually it means you sucked, most commonly). Pass/Fail grades are either just that, or Complete/Incomplete in most places.

Pretty sure the phrase is, "Well, you get an A for effort." Or in other words, "I'm impressed by the work you put in, but the results..."

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Honestly, that video was a breath of fresh air. The longest part of those battles was the intros and the victory posing, so it was nice to see you just casually steamroll things for once.

Also we got to see mining in action.

Finally, Bobbin is correct. The phrase is "A for Effort," meaning "good effort" with the often additional meaning of "the results were poo poo."

Kangra
May 7, 2012

No, 'E for Effort' dates to 1940 at the least, as a line Bing Crosby says in the Road to Singapore as this review of it from the same year mentions. Possibly it was influenced by the Navy's 'E' award, which could be what Crosby's line is about, but I think even he may have been using it in the euphemistic sense of not being desirable. More discussion and citations can be found here.

'A for effort' as a 'correction' of the phrase is almost certainly more common now, but Welch clearly uses the older version. I'm also dead wrong on 'E' never being used as a grade; apparently it did get used in some classes for 'excellent', but the discussion linked above suggests this goes counter to the old meaning of the phrase.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
The Biorhythm Tester supposedly affects/tells you your Luck stat, which is hidden and fluctuates. There's an early pre-release screenshot of SamRemi's status screen showing the luck stat so they at one point had it visible.

Luck effects chance to crit, chance to survive death via Fury and battle skill trigger rate. I don't know if it has any effect on rare item drop rate as that is balls anyway.

You can reset the Biorhythm Tester by reloading.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Pretty sure the phrase is, "Well, you get an A for effort." Or in other words, "I'm impressed by the work you put in, but the results..."

I've seen both used.

"A for effort" is usually the more complimentary of the two. It's a bit condescending, but it's usually delivered in a spirit that, well, appreciates the effort. Often comes with a little tip at the end, too, which sometimes actually helps.

"E for Effort" is pretty much saying you suck, and all the effort in the world won't help.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Kangra posted:

No, 'E for Effort' dates to 1940 at the least, as a line Bing Crosby says in the Road to Singapore as this review of it from the same year mentions. Possibly it was influenced by the Navy's 'E' award, which could be what Crosby's line is about, but I think even he may have been using it in the euphemistic sense of not being desirable. More discussion and citations can be found here.

'A for effort' as a 'correction' of the phrase is almost certainly more common now, but Welch clearly uses the older version. I'm also dead wrong on 'E' never being used as a grade; apparently it did get used in some classes for 'excellent', but the discussion linked above suggests this goes counter to the old meaning of the phrase.

This is super interesting!

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
Prediction Razzies

I learn so much from these threads.

It struck me as weird because over here an E is a grade, a REALLY bad one (I think I have at least one E grade from back in school) so saying "E for effort" to me implied "You did bad AND you didn't try"

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Pork Lift posted:

"You did bad AND you didn't try"

Takes me back! God, I hated school.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
'E' is the top in schools here.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Yeah, both of them sort of reference the American grading system in different ways. Some (American) schools give grades like C-for-credit or W-for-withdrew or I-for-incomplete or other things like that, especially for cases where, due to the nature of the class or the student's results, a normal ABCDF grade wouldn't make sense. Like some phys ed classes won't give you a full grade, just C-for-credit or NC-for-no-credit. So I always read "E for Effort" as "How well did you do? Well, you tried!" which is definitely not a nice thing to say. A-for-Effort sounds more like you're getting graded on several different aspects, like you got an A for Effort but a C for Execution and a D for Presentation etc. So it's more complimentary... but still not great.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I always thought it was like the scale from A to F where E is the lowest passable grade and F is fail, and "E for Effort" meant "I should really fail you, but I'll give you a pass since you made the effort of actually handing in something".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I thought it was just being graded E because effort started with E. Like saying "well at least you tried?"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We used to get graded for effort when I was ~14, it got put in your school report and everything. I once got an A in maths with an E for effort, I look back on it with a mixture of shame and perverse pride.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My various teachers would make that joke all through grade school but it wasn't until grade 11 an American teacher explained it to me.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
The more Welch talks, the more I dislike her. Is this normal?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Shoeless posted:

The more Welch talks, the more I dislike her. Is this normal?

Yes.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Shoeless posted:

The more [SO4 character] talks, the more I dislike them. Is this normal?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Excellent.

No, you know what? I don't mind anyone else. They have lovely writing, but at least their voices aren't.... that. That don't actually hurt my ears to listen to. Also they're not trying to be a "cute" anime character because they're hackers of reality which is also an MMORPG apparently? But Welch is. gently caress Welch. gently caress her "E for effort" bullshit. gently caress this game.

God her voice is almost as bad as the female best friend from Will and Grace.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 3, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Shoutouts to the singular they. Eat poo poo, prescriptivists.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I forgot about the leg quest and thought you were going to get new legs for Eeyore Bacchus.

That was disappointing, although I am glad you killed Lizard Boss and his poo poo hair and sent all his friends to Planet Zog.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I like the place you're heading next but jesus I really did not remember in which order you went to them.

Shoeless posted:

gently caress Welch
You know what else Star Ocean 5 did worse than SO4? :smug:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

I like the place you're heading next but jesus I really did not remember in which order you went to them.

You know what else Star Ocean 5 did worse than SO4? :smug:

Having a lovely character who's barely present in the plot and exists only to pander to the worst kind of fanboys?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"E for Effort" is definitely a well-used backhanded compliment/cushioned mocking phrase in the US and surprisingly common despite the fact that not a lot of school systems in the US actually use E's. I think it's definitely a primary school thing, because far as I can tell nobody grades on Effort past middle school.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 34: The Wet Maverick Appreciation Society
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhbni4Y-RlY

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Ain't no Awkward Social Situation like a Star Ocean Awkward Social Situation because a Star Ocean Awkward Social Situation lasts the whoooooole game!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Remember, Limb is fifteen years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It's sad that's all I can think is 'at least she's not 1500.'

• Locked thread