Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
What the heck was the deal with jousting?

Knights are heavy shock cavalry. You don't counter a cavalry charge with another cavalry charge, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Monocled Falcon posted:

Knights are heavy shock cavalry. You don't counter a cavalry charge with another cavalry charge, do you?

"Knights" weren't just heavy shock cavalry. They could be found fighting on foot all the time. And sure, you can countercharge a group of enemy cavalry. Why would you think cavalry can't fight cavalry?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Given what a lovely piece of work the Nambu was, whoever asked for a Nambu-based katana was probably upgrading in terms of battlefield lethality.

That is a type 14 nambu which was pretty alright. Solid design. Nothing to write home about but nothing to really bitch about either. The type 94 was the exposed sear gun.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Monocled Falcon posted:

Fighting with proficiently with a lance in heavy armour from horseback is extremely difficult, like many other difficult military activities there's a sport form of it, which acquired a life of its own. Its skills are not specific to fighting other cavalrymen, but it's certainly possible to counter-charge cavalry with cavalry.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Half the fun of being a cavalryman is having a pointless fight with the enemy's cavalry and then looting their camp while the infantry does the actual battle.

- Prince Rupert of the Rhein

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Half the fun of being a cavalryman is having a pointless fight with the enemy's cavalry and then looting their camp while the infantry does the actual battle.

- Prince Rupert of the Rhein
pointless? you get to look really cool

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

pointless? you get to look really cool

That's a fair point.

Bonus of being cavalry: you get to loot your own camp too, occasionally.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

That's a fair point.

Bonus of being cavalry: you get to loot your own camp too, occasionally.
oh come on, everyone's done that at some point or another

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
the best part of being a cavalryman or a member of a tank crew is that you can carry more loot

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

That is a type 14 nambu which was pretty alright. Solid design. Nothing to write home about but nothing to really bitch about either. The type 94 was the exposed sear gun.
what lol

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Imagine what knights/cavalrymen would have tried to loot if they had the carrying capacity of a tank.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Why did a lot of early Medieval leaders get weird, frequently insulting, taglines? Louis the Stutterer, Charles the Fat, Ivar the Boneless, Aethelred the Unready, etc. Also, when/why did those kind of taglines stop appearing?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Elyv posted:

Why did a lot of early Medieval leaders get weird, frequently insulting, taglines? Louis the Stutterer, Charles the Fat, Ivar the Boneless, Aethelred the Unready, etc. Also, when/why did those kind of taglines stop appearing?
for the first three names: according to norbert elias, western europeans of the pre-early-modern era were a lot more comfortable with physical imperfection, pain, disability, and sexual frankness than we are. see also people who have the epithet "the bastard," sometimes they'll give themselves that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Civilizing_Process

see also pepin the short

edit: lol
http://mentalfloss.com/article/58623/60-historys-strangest-royal-epithets
edit 2: they include Joan the Lame but not Joan the Mad (Joanna La Loca)? shaking my head

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 30, 2016

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

HEY GAL posted:

for the first three names: according to norbert elias, western europeans of the pre-early-modern era were a lot more comfortable with physical imperfection, pain, disability, and sexual frankness than we are. see also people who have the epithet "the bastard," sometimes they'll give themselves that.

see also pepin the short

edit 2: they include Joan the Lame but not Joan the Mad (Joanna La Loca)? shaking my head

Oh that's really interesting. I always wonder how they'd interpret our worldview. I feel like, to us, referring to someone's negative physical qualities is considered super unnecessarily mean but referring to their negative moral qualities isn't that bad. or at least it's not grounds for instant violent confrontation like it would be to some past folks. "ERIK THE PRIEST-HATER" would also be a tight name for a black metal guitarist

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For Ivar the Boneless no one is really sure what exactly it refers to. One theory is that he had some sort of disability like brittle bone disease or deformed legs that prevented him from walking. Other theories include him being really flexible and limber, that the name is comparing him to a snake, or that it is a ironic nickname of some sort. Yet another theory is that he was impotent and the bone in question is his dilz. Of course in the Sagas he literally has no bones because of a curse but those weren't written until centuries after he supposedly lived so they are basically just historical fiction loosely based on actual events and people.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

punk rebel ecks posted:

How exactly are the Crusades seen differently by scholars as opposed to popular opinion?

This interview goes some way to answering your question, as does the book it's about! I think it's important to note there's no singular received history of the Crusades. The most popular has probably been Stephen Runciman's very bad books, which present an overwhelmingly negative portrait of the Crusades and their participants, so most scholarship will be seeking to correct that. However there is also a strong current of Crusade apologia, either from the Catholic perspective of trying to justify the Crusades within the Church's history or from the less-religious perspective that usually sees the crusaders as defenders of Western culture and Virtue against the dangerous and encroaching Orient. Both are dumb though the latter is way more dangerous and prone to stoking Islamophobia etc.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

swamp waste posted:

Oh that's really interesting. I always wonder how they'd interpret our worldview. I feel like, to us, referring to someone's negative physical qualities is considered super unnecessarily mean but referring to their negative moral qualities isn't that bad. or at least it's not grounds for instant violent confrontation like it would be to some past folks. "ERIK THE PRIEST-HATER" would also be a tight name for a black metal guitarist

On the flipside if you introduced medieval/early modern people to twitter they would be recreating A Trip to Temecula every 30 seconds as they were forced to defend their honour from internet trolls

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This interview goes some way to answering your question, as does the book it's about! I think it's important to note there's no singular received history of the Crusades. The most popular has probably been Stephen Runciman's very bad books, which present an overwhelmingly negative portrait of the Crusades and their participants, so most scholarship will be seeking to correct that. However there is also a strong current of Crusade apologia, either from the Catholic perspective of trying to justify the Crusades within the Church's history or from the less-religious perspective that usually sees the crusaders as defenders of Western culture and Virtue against the dangerous and encroaching Orient. Both are dumb though the latter is way more dangerous and prone to stoking Islamophobia etc.

What is Alfred Andrea's take on the Fourth Crusade, if you don't mind me asking? He suggests that he has one but doesn't really substantiate too much on the page.

My personal view on it is pretty influenced by the sort of "dramatic irony" narrative that the interview calls out, and perhaps early exposure to the ideas of Dread Runciman. Would appreciate some solid analysis on the matter.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Bendigeidfran posted:

What is Alfred Andrea's take on the Fourth Crusade, if you don't mind me asking? He suggests that he has one but doesn't really substantiate too much on the page.

No idea dude. I only really know about the 1st and 3rd crusades (and even then my knowledge is limited), though I've also checked out Joinville.

quote:

My personal view on it is pretty influenced by the sort of "dramatic irony" narrative that the interview calls out, and perhaps early exposure to the ideas of Dread Runciman. Would appreciate some solid analysis on the matter.

So I actually agree with the position that the Venetians were interested in diverting the crusade. At the very least the attack on Zara is telling. As to whether they intended to sack Constantinople from the get-go, however, I don't know enough to say for sure. I certainly think the offer by Alexios IV made the concept a lot easier for the Crusaders to swallow.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

No idea dude. I only really know about the 1st and 3rd crusades (and even then my knowledge is limited), though I've also checked out Joinville.

So I actually agree with the position that the Venetians were interested in diverting the crusade. At the very least the attack on Zara is telling. As to whether they intended to sack Constantinople from the get-go, however, I don't know enough to say for sure. I certainly think the offer by Alexios IV made the concept a lot easier for the Crusaders to swallow.

I'd lean much more to a case of one thing leading to another than that ever being the original plan. But being in hock to Venice from the get go made it very unlikely that they'd actually have a straightforward trip to the holy land. Nobody rides for free.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

P-Mack posted:

I'd lean much more to a case of one thing leading to another than that ever being the original plan. But being in hock to Venice from the get go made it very unlikely that they'd actually have a straightforward trip to the holy land. Nobody rides for free.

Yeah I essentially agree.

also when did people start saying "in hock"? I'd never heard the phrase before and today I heard it twice.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

also when did people start saying "in hock"? I'd never heard the phrase before and today I heard it twice.

Occasionally? The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is a fun thing (more fun when it's with something truly weird like Tom of Finland's :nws: art).

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Yeah I essentially agree.

[very nasal voice]
IN HOCK is an American English colloquialism dating from at least the early 19th century
it derives from Dutch in similar fashion to terms like BOSS or SANTA CLAUS
from the Dutch hok meaning cage or pigsty, an apparent IRONIC REFERENCE to debtors' prison
you are "in hock" when you have run out of money, you are in debt, and you have begun to sell your worldly possessions to pawnbrokers just to survive

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

see also pepin the short

Thanks for the explanation, that's really interesting! That makes me wonder, though: what sort of things would those people have found insulting that maybe we wouldn't?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Elyv posted:

Thanks for the explanation, that's really interesting! That makes me wonder, though: what sort of things would those people have found insulting that maybe we wouldn't?

Usual caveat of long time period and large place, but questions of honor is the big one that springs to mind. Suppose that carries into the early modern and (early) modern as well.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pontius Pilate posted:

Usual caveat of long time period and large place, but questions of honor is the big one that springs to mind. Suppose that carries into the early modern and (early) modern as well.
yep, honor/status questions. doing something that implies the guy you're insulting is lower down the social ladder than you, that too

also, depending on what's going on in your society at the time, drawing attention to religious differences or political conflicts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Being king Jeb the Fat, baron Dwayne the Cripple, or hetman Bob the Disfigured is all fine and good because that's just describing the way you are but something implying you were a coward or liar or a heretic or whatever would be more insulting.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Charles the Bad was the best moniker.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

xthetenth posted:

Occasionally? The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon is a fun thing (more fun when it's with something truly weird like Tom of Finland's :nws: art).

I reckon some media figure used it and everybody is following their lead because it sounds good (tho imo it sounds bad)

Pontius Pilate posted:

Idk man, calling someone a cheat or a hick or a cuck all seem like honor-based insults to me, we just react less violently.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I reckon some media figure used it and everybody is following their lead because it sounds good (tho imo it sounds bad)

Idk man, calling someone a cheat or a hick or a cuck all seem like honor-based insults to me, we just react less violently.

Going to attribute the greatly reduced incidence of violent reactions to the fact that we have yet to perfect internet-delivered tele-beat-downs, whereas, historically, all insults were delivered within striking range. Particularly in populations with exceedingly low rates of literacy. If you shouted them real loud, you'd at least be out to projectile-weapon range.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

CleverHans posted:

Going to attribute the greatly reduced incidence of violent reactions to the fact that we have yet to perfect internet-delivered tele-beat-downs, whereas, historically, all insults were delivered within striking range. Particularly in populations with exceedingly low rates of literacy. If you shouted them real loud, you'd at least be out to projectile-weapon range.
in some societies they may not be reduced; how many police reports have you seen where one person beats another's rear end for something that's objectively speaking dumb as hell

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

in some societies they may not be reduced; how many police reports have you seen where one person beats another's rear end for something that's objectively speaking dumb as hell

See also; 'honour killing'. In societies where women are usually kept socially isolate the internet can help them escape and therefore add fuel to a fire, at times.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Niklas Ericsson says it's because the modern man believes in internal honor and not external honor. Internal honor is far harder to damage with insults and slander.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

Niklas Ericsson says it's because the modern man believes in internal honor and not external honor. Internal honor is far harder to damage with insults and slander.

Hmmm this actually sounds very interesting!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Hmmm this actually sounds very interesting!
There is no way, unfortunately, to test whether the insults that get modern Americans most het up are insults that reflect things that speak to your inner character while still being visible from the outside. "You're stupid" immediately came to mind--that's inside you but everyone can see it, and therefore comment on it.

I wonder how you would do it, follow a group of young americans around and tally the fistfights?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

There is no way, unfortunately, to test whether the insults that get modern Americans most het up are insults that reflect things that speak to your inner character while still being visible from the outside. "You're stupid" immediately came to mind--that's inside you but everyone can see it, and therefore comment on it.

I wonder how you would do it, follow a group of young americans around and tally the fistfights?

you could watch youtube videos

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So how accurate was the combat in "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix? They showed that shield walls with swords were very effective, and that ultimately not a whole lot of people died during a battle (just a few who got stabbed through the wall). Is that pretty much accurate?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

So how accurate was the combat in "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix? They showed that shield walls with swords were very effective, and that ultimately not a whole lot of people died during a battle (just a few who got stabbed through the wall). Is that pretty much accurate?

No idea but thank you for letting me know it's on Netflix now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

There will be an Aquinas post when my headache fades later this week or early next.

• Locked thread