Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dale Ouise posted:

I imagine it's like the NHL series where the AI GMs judge trades by pure ratings, and is dumb, so I'll hold off on that.

Since caps got brought up, I found the hoopshype page, and it seems serviceable, but is there another site with that info I should know about?

Most of these sites all pull from the same place, so it's personal preference as to which rumor/salary site you like. Shamsports.com was getting his salary info independently and it was more accurate but he doesn't work on his site anymore.

Basketball-reference.com is still my favorite stats site but the NBA.com stats page is excellent and has access to stuff that basketball-reference doesn't have (but also might not actually be useful beyond 'that's cool' so I find myself sticking with bbal ref).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Rick posted:

2k games are good for learning some basic basketball stuff, also for knowing who the players are on every team.

The franchise/front office modes though are not accurate simulations (or at least have not been, I don't play the games now even when they're free because of this but maybe they've finally improved), don't be the guy who played 2k17 and then comes in here talking about the Hard Cap.

Nonsense I can trade all my bench scrubs for Lebron

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dale Ouise posted:

I imagine it's like the NHL series where the AI GMs judge trades by pure ratings, and is dumb, so I'll hold off on that.

Since caps got brought up, I found the hoopshype page, and it seems serviceable, but is there another site with that info I should know about?

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

are two really useful sites.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Does anyone remember what team it was ran a play with their two bigs basically holding hands down the court into an elevator doorsish screen? I have no idea how to search for the video

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

RaySmuckles posted:

for now i don't see him going anywhere. this is his best chance for that illusive title.

Now i'm thinking about a swerve where golden state wins the title but it turns out there was never a title to win

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Oh yeah, duh, learning cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm is an awesome way to sound really smart to your friends.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

EvanTH posted:

Does anyone remember what team it was ran a play with their two bigs basically holding hands down the court into an elevator doorsish screen? I have no idea how to search for the video

p sure it was the Warriors who started doing it a bunch back before they were even a playoff team, then it spread like wildfire

e: that was also back when Mark Jackson was coaching, and they played two bigs. see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUS4vUh4M6I

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 30, 2016

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

Now i'm thinking about a swerve where golden state wins the title but it turns out there was never a title to win

curry takes the trophy from silver and as he raises it it turns to sand in his hands. the lights turn off and the audience fades away. the warriors find themselves standing in an abandoned lot at dawn. a single man pushing a broom in the distance. is that...confetti?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

RaySmuckles posted:

curry takes the trophy from silver and as he raises it it turns to sand in his hands. the lights turn off and the audience fades away. the warriors find themselves standing in an abandoned lot at dawn. a single man pushing a broom in the distance. is that...confetti?

lol, its beautiful

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chunkles posted:

p sure it was the Warriors who started doing it a bunch back before they were even a playoff team, then it spread like wildfire

e: that was also back when Mark Jackson was coaching, and they played two bigs. see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUS4vUh4M6I

I think Monty Williams also ran it as early or earlier than this, too. It may have been something Mike Malone brought with him.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

no I'm talking about something that was like a joke play on the opening possession with two bigs basically linking arms and skipping down the court and it turned into a screen on a designed play

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Andrre Drummond developing a face up game is loving :eek:

If he ever learns to play defense and make fts this team could be a conference finals sort of team

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Jack's Flow posted:

If Steph wasn't around, Lillard would be my favorite point guard in the league. He's amazing.

edit:

https://twitter.com/PicknSaveStores/status/792455982232117248

those pizzas are really loving good fyi (i mean, as far as frozen pizzas go) and thanks for making me sad by reminding me that they're not sold anywhere in denver

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

What's Buddy Hield's chuck status?

#4 chucker in the whole league. Trailing only Langston Galloway, Dario Saric and Jeff Teague.

So far Damian Lillard, DeMarcus Cousins, Kawhi Leonard and Anthony Davis are the elite scorers.

Kawhi is 28/28 through three games from the FT line. Since 1964 only two have started better:

code:
Player		Season	FT	FTA
Kiki Vandeweghe	1984-85	31	31
Kevin Martin	2010-11	30	30
Kawhi Leonard	2016-17	28	28

Spacebump posted:

Today I learned this crazy guy still makes videos.
This is his reaction the Rockets loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22GlEPlbv3I

I'd watch ESPN more if it was like this.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Having a discussion with someone who said Rubio isn't a top 10 PG. A defensible position I guess though I disagree, but then he named Jrue Holiday, old man Tony Parker and Rondo as players all better than him.

Help me SAS, you're my only hope.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tanglewood1420 posted:

Having a discussion with someone who said Rubio isn't a top 10 PG. A defensible position I guess though I disagree, but then he named Jrue Holiday, old man Tony Parker and Rondo as players all better than him.

tony is definitely not at top 10 pg

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Your debate partner is operating on the now-outdated alpha system of ranking players, you should strangle him to prove your dominance

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Parker and Rondo certainly aren't better than him at this point in their careers. Holiday might be, but there's always the health issues to consider with him.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chunkles posted:

Your debate partner is operating on the now-outdated alpha system of ranking players, you should strangle him to prove your dominance

a sound strategy

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Parker and Rondo certainly aren't better than him at this point in their careers. Holiday might be, but there's always the health issues to consider with him.

Agreed.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
There are only three good PGs in the NBA who cares what the rest of the top ten looks like.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

dokmo posted:

There are only three good PGs in the NBA who cares what the rest of the top ten looks like.
Kind of true. Lillard's good at scoring.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zogo posted:

Kawhi is 28/28 through three games from the FT line. Since 1964 only two have started better:

code:

Player		Season	FT	FTA
Kiki Vandeweghe	1984-85	31	31
Kevin Martin	2010-11	30	30
Kawhi Leonard	2016-17	28	28

Streak was just broken at 33.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

dokmo posted:

Uh, I hope you're not serious.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

dokmo posted:

I was under the impression it was considered the most stacked position in the league?

In no particular order:
CP3
Kyrie
Steph
Lillard
Westbrook
Lowry

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Quizzlefish posted:

I was under the impression it was considered the most stacked position in the league?

In no particular order:
CP3
Kyrie
Steph
Lillard
Westbrook
Lowry

CP3, Curry, and Westbrook are a class above everyone else on the list, but they are also good (John Wall too) so idk. Kyrie and Lillard can't guard anyone to the degree that it makes them nearly net neutral. Lowry is a good all around player and probably the closest to that tier out of the "other" guys, but is missing the "it" factor. I'd still include him.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The best PG isn't even a PG James Harden renders the position obsolete.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

dokmo posted:

my man

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Describing Kyrie as nearly a net neutral sure is an opinion.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

Describing Kyrie as nearly a net neutral sure is an opinion.
He is so loving bad at defense. And I said nearly. His offensive ability still makes him a good NBA player, he just doesn't make the same overall contribution that the other guys do.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Curry's defense is just as bad though

edit: Just last year he got torched by three of the people on that list in the playoffs (Westbrook, Lillard, Irving)

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 31, 2016

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Three best point guards:
James Harden
Nicolas Batum
One of the three Alphas

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

Curry's defense is just as bad though
a.) not quite b.) his offense is so so so much better

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

dokmo posted:

LeBron is the best PG but only when he wants to be.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Kyrie is old school, he just doesn't play defense, he doesn't bother with it

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

dokmo posted:

I know Giannis Antetokounmpo is hard to spell but you weren't even close bruh.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Westbrook is the best player in the nba

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Metapod posted:

Westbrook is the best player in the nba

Yeah but people are posting hot takes, not stone cold facts.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
KAwhi is going to learn how to be the best pg in the league in another summer or two
Kawhi Leonard will learn slowly and methodically and silently learn everything there is to know about the game
He seeks to make basketball obsolete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazycello
Jul 22, 2009

EvanTH posted:

no I'm talking about something that was like a joke play on the opening possession with two bigs basically linking arms and skipping down the court and it turned into a screen on a designed play

Raptors fans need to step up. That was Amir and Jonas.

https://youtu.be/quRwCAkaweM

• Locked thread