Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

It's not.

In a different story that moral might work, but when that message is delivered at the last minute by a character who shows up out of nowhere, blurts out some bullshit, then quickly disappears it all ends up feeling pretty unearned and hollow.

More importantly, it's not because it runs directly counter to literally everything about Davesprite's arc or character beyond the Davepeta poo poo, which was obviously last-minute retcon bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Plom Bar posted:

That and Hiveswap.

I try to limit my view of 'canon' to stuff that actually appears in the comic. Hiveswap'll count once it comes out, too.

also why does BKEW keep getting dredged up, were they ever on the money about anything

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Clawtopsy posted:

also why does BKEW keep getting dredged up, were they ever on the money about anything

He Texas-Sharpshootered a few things (Jane turning villain is the only one I can recall) but is generally only taken seriously by people who conflate "verbose" with "correct". I have no idea why he's so well known.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Plom Bar posted:

He Texas-Sharpshootered a few things (Jane turning villain is the only one I can recall) but is generally only taken seriously by people who conflate "verbose" with "correct". I have no idea why he's so well known.

because he showed up in the askbox of every tumblr homestuck blog like an evangelist asking if you'd heard the good news yet

i only followed him for the inevitable breakdown, but unfortunately what we got instead was 'thinking about homestuck now makes me physically ill'

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

arguably, jane didn't even turn into a villain. that implies some level of autonomy and agency.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, he's managed to successfully and accurately predict things that were foreshadowed in the comic for months. I remember a long time back on the MSPA forums he boldly claimed that at some point Feferi was going to die, after the scene where Feferi appears in Jade's dream and tells her she's dead.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah, he's managed to successfully and accurately predict things that were foreshadowed in the comic for months. I remember a long time back on the MSPA forums he boldly claimed that at some point Feferi was going to die, after the scene where Feferi appears in Jade's dream and tells her she's dead.

how does he do it

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The really big one he got was that the Autoresponder would become a component of Doc Scratch, which frankly, is a completely insane theory on the face of it but actually ended up being true. He also guessed a lot earlier than most that Dirk and Roxy were in the future after a gigantic flood, based mostly on Dirk's use of the word "antediluvian".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Other than that, though, yeah, inversion theory is silly.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Plom Bar posted:

My favorite BKEWism was how Mituna made a great sacrifice that burned out his powers and that was moving Derse and Prospit.

Despite the fact that Captors had psychokinetic blasts. Meaning Mituna probably blasted something full force while hopped up on Mind Honey and fried his brain.

But mark his words Mituna's Sacrifice will be important!!!!

(it wasn't)

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

in fairness, they have been shown to move at least a meteor before

but yeah i didn't even follow their ramblings and kept seeing them brought up like they were some sort of code-cracking genius

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

drink more ovaltine

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I can never get more than two paragraphs into his screeds.

That's right, I, one that has written more than 2000 words about this comic in a single sitting multiple times in this thread, am put off by his long-winded, meandering babble.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What's inversion theory

A particular form of insanity

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Clawtopsy posted:

The thing I love about Tavros heading up an army is that it justifies all the lovely things Vriska did to get him to grow a spine.

This, but without even the faintest hint of irony or disapproval.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

this would be true if we didn't see actual life acts imo

Life is the aspect of characters who have massive amounts of build up, but the author quickly loses interest in them and shoves them aside and you start to wonder why they were included at all.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
^^^ I thought that was Space :smugbert:

Hemingway To Go! posted:

What's inversion theory

You lucky bastard.

Essentially, it's the idea that an Aspect is inverse to another. Some are obvious, like Life and Doom. Some are a bit less obvious, but make sense like Hope and Rage.

Some make no goddamn sense and only happen because he likes how they sound together, like Time and Space, which are never once shown to oppose. Or, worse, because his own headcanon ascribes spheres of influence where there are none (Light and Void, because Light is clearly about knowledge, limelight, actual light, fortune, relevancy, luck, and information.) And no, those aren't different conflicting theories. He's, at one time or another, ascribed all of those to light. Granted, actual light and fortune/luck are, as far as I'm aware, actually canon, everything is else is from his theories.

Anyway, Inversion Theory is the concept that the farther from one aspect you get, the closer to the other. Classes, too. So a Seer, who has information and knowledge thanks to their aspect would, according to this, be inverse to a Witch, one who manipulates their aspect.

Because passively knowing through is the opposite of active manipulation of. So Rose is now, somehow, a Witch of Void because she was Grimdark because it was unlike her passive Knowing class?

Honestly, I might be leaving poo poo out but I'm pretty sure I'm not and it was just that tenuous of a connection.

TL;DR: Inversion Theory is willful misunderstanding of concepts explained in the comic lashed together by headcanons and presented as fact that close friends of Hussie have confirmed are bullshit by his word.

Of course I kind of have a grudge against BKEW because I'm pretty sure he followed me from Tumblr to Reddit (I'm the worst kind of person, I know) to harass me after I called one of his theories bullshit.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Classtoise posted:

It actually applies to both, which is pretty depressing to anyone who's ever been emotionally attached to Jade (aka me).

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Classtoise posted:

You lucky bastard.

Essentially, it's the idea that an Aspect is inverse to another. Some are obvious, like Life and Doom. Some are a bit less obvious, but make sense like Hope and Rage.

Some make no goddamn sense and only happen because he likes how they sound together, like Time and Space, which are never once shown to oppose. Or, worse, because his own headcanon ascribes spheres of influence where there are none (Light and Void, because Light is clearly about knowledge, limelight, actual light, fortune, relevancy, luck, and information.) And no, those aren't different conflicting theories. He's, at one time or another, ascribed all of those to light. Granted, actual light and fortune/luck are, as far as I'm aware, actually canon, everything is else is from his theories.

Yeah Light as an aspect is like 100% for sure tied to fate/fortune.

The class informs or alters this. Seers have knowledge- so Rose can see the future. Vriska as a thief has the ability to change outcomes (the future) to be more favourable to herself/unfavourable to her opponents, but she does so without knowledge and this can and does backfire.

But there's overlap, as characters reach end results that seem very similar but through different paths. Terezi can also see the future, but does so by looking at potential choices people can make and her understanding of their minds. Rose can see what will happen, but cannot see what will not happen. Terezi can see what could happen, and this difference drives their respective character arcs.

Or more literally, Dave can travel through time, both observing and changing as he wills, but increasingly he finds that he actually has no choice or freedom while doing so.

But the key is that you have to look at the characters first and then the classpect as an informing part of them. I think BKEW's failing was that he took things the other way around.
So Light isn't tied to relevancy/being in the limelight- that's more Vriska's foible specifically. Her entire character is a narcissist/megalomaniac continually trying to put herself at the center of the universe- her classpect is merely a set of tools that allow her to do so. Likewise Rose struggles against her perception of fate and the pre-ordained, while Terezi is paralyzed by choice and the consequences thereof. The classpects support the character, like a label on them saying "THIS CHARACTER HAS THESE EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS" or whatever. You can use the classpect to gain a greater understanding of the character, but you can't use the character to understand the classpect (because there is nothing there, really).

Uh, all that said I could see Light being... not opposed, but opposite, to Void, which seems to be the realm of possibility/imagination, I suppose. Void characters seem to 'black out' the sight of the omniscient (deny knowledge). Roxy creates objects from nothing. If Light deal with what does or what will exist or happen, then Void deals with what does not exist, and thus, everything that could possibly exist. You can kind of see this with Skaia (omniscient) vs. horrorterrors (they collect the detritus of thousands of failed timelines, ie. every possibility that could potentially exist, in a realm that defies knowledge). Of course BKEW's inversion theory is dumb and superficial.

But of course to actually make this interpretation into something beyond just stupid meaningless fanwank I'd have to apply it to Roxy and Equius and turn it into regular old stupid fanwank, which I don't feel like doing right now or ever so yeah. Also everything I just typed is dumb.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 30, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What did "play the rain" actually end up meaning?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

rose never did it so who knows
it was supposed to bring life back into the dead ocean of her planet thus probably involve her denizen somehow since cetus ate all the fish

spinning bullshit here; i'd guess something to tie into her issues of feeling bound by fate and learning to see outside the obvious possibilities

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Jaspersprite posted:

JASPERSPRITE: Rose im just a cat and i dont know much but i know that youre important and also you are what some people around here call the Seer of Light.
JASPERSPRITE: And you dont know what that means but you will see its all tied together!
JASPERSPRITE: All the life in the ocean and all the shiny rain and the songs in your head and the letters they make.
JASPERSPRITE: A beam of light i think is like a drop of rain or a long piece of yarn that dances around when you play with it and make it look enticing!
JASPERSPRITE: And the way that it shakes is the same as what makes notes in a song!
JASPERSPRITE: And a song i think can be written down as letters.
JASPERSPRITE: So if you play the right song and it makes all the right letters then those letters could be all the letters that make life possible.
JASPERSPRITE: So all you have to do is wake up and learn to play the rain!

From this I assumed it has something to do with ectobiology and... string theory?

I wonder if Rose technically finished her quest via helping out Kanaya with the matriorb and all that.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

arguably, jane didn't even turn into a villain. that implies some level of autonomy and agency.

What about Gamzee?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bongo Bill posted:

Nothing, that plot point got dropped like a hot potato.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Follow-up question: If we don't know what it is, then how do we know she didn't do it?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Follow-up question: If we don't know what it is, then how do we know she didn't do it?

how do you know you aren't the physical incarnation of god, temporarily wiped of this knowledge so as to better experience the world of your creation?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

AriadneThread posted:

how do you know you aren't the physical incarnation of god, temporarily wiped of this knowledge so as to better experience the world of your creation?

He's not, because I am. Duh.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I am every person that has ever lived. I am you. And them. And everyone. Reincarnated again and again at any time without any knowledge of my past, present, or future lives.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

Let's all take an online classpect test and share our results

Mage of Heart i think i was

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spellman posted:

I am every person that has ever lived. I am you. And them. And everyone. Reincarnated again and again at any time without any knowledge of my past, present, or future lives.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously through the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw. I AM THERE.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Spellman posted:

every time you hosed someone, you were loving yourself

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Plom Bar posted:

Hussie said in an Ask session he did that the most accurate classpect test is "what title do you want for yourself?" and as long as your class and aspect were one syllable each, you're golden.

Cool, I'm the King of Piss.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

im the arse of farts

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Dibs on Waste of Time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm moon of moon

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mazerunner posted:

I'm moon of moon

Oh poo poo, who brought loving Moon of Moon along?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh poo poo, who brought loving Moon of Moon along?

somehow, karkat is still a bigger fuckup

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Plom Bar posted:

So apropos of nothing, I just realized why [S] Collide is exactly 18 minutes long

Guys quick what's 6 + 6 + 6

3*6 or 3(6) and 18 is 36/2. Good poo poo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
there's apparently more snapchat content for halloween

https://homestucksnaps.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you!