Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nopants
May 29, 2004
I think I'd enjoy a Conan the Barbarian type show with Carol as the adventuring wanderer. That would've been a lot better than the shitfest Fear the Walking Dead. Carol wandering around defeating villains and solving mysteries in a zombie wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Carol in an updated version of "Kung Fu" would be aces.

I guess Morgan would make more sense but Carol is a better character so...

Now that I think about it I'm surprised no network has tried a modern Kung Fu remake. I mean come on... we have a lovely MacGyver on the air.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 31, 2016

nopants
May 29, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

Carol in an updated version of "Kung Fu" would be aces.

Kung Fu (and Hercules: The Legendary Journies) was also rolling around in my head when thinking about that. The Walking Dead can be awful, but Carol's character is interesting and compelling.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I still don't understand why Carol is so important and Rambo.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dr. Abysmal posted:

So what type of horrible agonizing death will Morgan's apprentice Ben suffer

He's getting Lucille'd and I don't think anyone will be surprised.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

what i dont get is why dont all these beta communities band together and buttfuck negan and his trash squad

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Akumos posted:

I still don't understand why Carol is so important and Rambo.

I'd love it if rumors of her traveled around. Like Ezekiel mentions a story of a woman who took down a cannibal camp all on her own, and she's just smiling.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Orange Red Bull posted:

what i dont get is why dont all these beta communities band together and buttfuck negan and his trash squad

maybe because they've been introduced for like 5 minutes and that could still happen

nopants
May 29, 2004
Also, Negan seems crafty and ruthless. He's already probably buttfucked some groups that stood up to him and we didn't see it. we only saw how ruthless he was with Rick's crew.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nopants posted:

Also, Negan seems crafty and ruthless. He's already probably buttfucked some groups that stood up to him and we didn't see it. we only saw how ruthless he was with Rick's crew.

And the librarians. We don't know who they were but we know what Negan did to their leader

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nopants posted:

How obvious is it that kid's dad and the other guys who died were killed by Negan, not zombies?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

nopants posted:

I think I'd enjoy a Conan the Barbarian type show with Carol as the adventuring wanderer. That would've been a lot better than the shitfest Fear the Walking Dead. Carol wandering around defeating villains and solving mysteries in a zombie wasteland.

Have Guns - Will Travel

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Akumos posted:

maybe because they've been introduced for like 5 minutes and that could still happen

Ooh i bet you're right

Maybe Rick and his group will be the catalyst! nobody would expect that!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I'm skipping ahead to this post. I don't give a gently caress what you think or do to me for doing so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaQXJmpwM4

Welcome to the walking dead.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The TV IV › The Walking Dead Season Seven - This is Ezekiel. He...does his own thing

:haw:

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

So Morgan is gonna be the one to overcome his pacifism and unite 2 or more settlements to kill a bunch of people. Also Rick will be there!

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
That was kind of a boring episode overall but I appreciated that the wolf in sheep's clothes cliche didn't actually transpire and they cut the bullshit about this guy right away. The one liner at the end was terrible but Carol is still the best character on this show, crazy or not.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like the Kingdom and the people in it a lot.

But I was tired of suicidal Carol last season, and I'm even more tired of it now.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I'm looking forward to how much more off the rails this series will go by the end of the season, if they're going to do the entire Negan plotline and not stretch things out over two or more seasons.

I *was* kind of hoping that Carol would just disappear, though, and eventually turn back up as Alpha.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Godinster posted:

That was kind of a boring episode overall but I appreciated that the wolf in sheep's clothes cliche didn't actually transpire and they cut the bullshit about this guy right away. The one liner at the end was terrible but Carol is still the best character on this show, crazy or not.
Agreed. Carol is the main reason I watch this show. Her character's journey from season 1 has been highly entertaining. Helps that she started so humble. Rick? Daryl? They were badasses before. You get the feeling Glenn had his own skills even if it was slacking with friends and slinging pizza. Carol? Was a beaten mouse. A breeze could knock her over - yet she found the strength inside her to evolve and survive.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I like the Kingdom and the people in it a lot.

But I was tired of suicidal Carol last season, and I'm even more tired of it now.

Ezekiel and the Kingdom won me over with his private moment with Carol. Genuinely cool touch for a character and the actor has a nice presence. A town with him and Morgan chewing scenery? Yeah, I could watch a ton more of that. Hope Morgan's trainee sticks around a while.

Carol will be ok. Think her low point was last season. Her character went from the broken and battered ornament to a force of destruction. Problem was that she forced herself on a path to survive and that path had an endpoint that was nihilism. Hollow. I said this a year ago but she will swing to somewhere in the middle from season 1 "afraid of her own shadow" and "kills an entire town with the same emotion she uses to bake cookies" later on. Really glad they teamed her and Morgan. Both her and Morgan's journey is tied. Morgan became super pacifist to fight the emptiness and horror that found its way inside him. It was a reaction to what he was in "Clear". Carol became the Goddess of War to kill the soft mother she felt was still inside her. It was cool to watch (for some of us) but not a place you want to stay long if you intend to keep the character around and/or want not make a bollocks show. I have faith they will both find their true self. Sadly for the antagonists their true selves will probably still kill hundreds... they will just feel a little bad about it afterwards.

They better not hurt the Tiger with the cool name.
Don't remind me of the comic

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 31, 2016

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
That was a pretty :unsmith: episode after last week.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I like any town that shows how much better any community without Rick in charge seems to do.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I actually really enjoyed this episode. I felt like they pulled it off really well, I don't care how "silly" it was (and it really helps that Carol immediately called it out as soon as she and Morgan were alone).

I like Ezekiel's theatrics, and I like that he saw through Carol's veil and dropped his act while they were talking one on one because he knew she wasn't buying it. His backstory of being a zookeeper before the outbreak is neat, and makes way more sense than what I imagined the reason the writers would give us for how he somehow acquired a tiger during the zombie apocalypse. Also I hope they give us more insight into their history with the Saviors. Aside from that, pretty much everything Von_Doom said.

Anyway, I was far more pleased with this episode than last week's. The premier just sucked all of the emotion out with filler to the point that I barely even felt anything once the bat started swinging. And normally I don't like it when they shift focus so quickly after something so major happens in the plot like they did with this episode, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I think I'm gonna like Ezekiel.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 31, 2016

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

This is a terrible show for terrible people.

Can't wait to tune in again next week!!!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Senor Tron posted:

I like any town that shows how much better any community without Rick in charge seems to do.

pretty much. I can't wait until rick and his crew show up and ruin all the towns in one fell swoop in an attempt to take negan down.

Also, what city was that in the background?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I love Ezekiel. I like that his backstory was grounded and about the only believable explanation for having a Tiger. I like that he dropped the act in front of Carol because, hey, you can't bullshit a bullshitter. I like that she saw right through him and he saw back through her. I liked the lovely Tiger CG and the King Ezekiel quotes in every room like he was LARP Moses. Jerry was adorable. I was cackling the entire time Carol was in the theatre when Morgan introduced them. I'm just hoping we get a "Booya!" easter egg next time.

This is the most and best ridiculous change of pace and a nice break up from the endless misery the show needed honestly. It also reminded me I need to catch up on Z-Nation. Thanks Walking Dead!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
My reaction is kind of tainted by the people who always talk about the comics in here and told me this was going to happen, so my reaction was more "oh, there he is" and not "this is loving stupid and corny" which is how I think I'd feel not knowing about him beforehand.

Unless the tiger eats nothing but zombies and is somehow able to not get sick from it, there's no way they have enough fresh meat to keep a fully grown tiger healthy, particularly since they have to give half their stuff away as it is. It just seems like a huge sacrifice to keep what is basically a stage prop to make Ezekiel look powerful and eccentric around. Just because he's a former zookeeper doesn't make him some magic tiger tamer.

And the plan with the pigs - how are there any people left in this world that aren't aware yet that everyone's infected? The "you're eating tainted meat" thing was contrived a couple seasons ago and it still is now, assuming that that's what they were going for.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
S7E2 shines because it focuses on the strong points of the series. Namely people being people and trying to survive without becoming savages. But sooner or later zombies and raiders show up and everything turns to poo poo - and characters show their true colors when it comes to dealing with conflict.

If I wanted a splatter comedy like S7E1 then I could watch Z Nation.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My reaction is kind of tainted by the people who always talk about the comics in here and told me this was going to happen, so my reaction was more "oh, there he is" and not "this is loving stupid and corny" which is how I think I'd feel not knowing about him beforehand.

Unless the tiger eats nothing but zombies and is somehow able to not get sick from it, there's no way they have enough fresh meat to keep a fully grown tiger healthy, particularly since they have to give half their stuff away as it is. It just seems like a huge sacrifice to keep what is basically a stage prop to make Ezekiel look powerful and eccentric around. Just because he's a former zookeeper doesn't make him some magic tiger tamer.

And the plan with the pigs - how are there any people left in this world that aren't aware yet that everyone's infected? The "you're eating tainted meat" thing was contrived a couple seasons ago and it still is now, assuming that that's what they were going for.

That's what I said too, that the amount of fresh water and food needed to keep a tiger healthy would be totally unsustainable. But then I remembered I am watching a show about the zombie apocalypse.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

I read the cast episode list so I'll spoiler this:

of course next week is going to be the daryl episode gotta see what he's up to now

Question for comic readers, when was this whole plot introduced? Was it before or after the series started? Because I wonder how much the first few seasons of the show influenced the comic.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

54 40 or gently caress posted:

That's what I said too, that the amount of fresh water and food needed to keep a tiger healthy would be totally unsustainable. But then I remembered I am watching a show about the zombie apocalypse.

Well yeah but you can't jump to that excuse for every stupid rear end thing. It is very silly and ridiculous, even for a show about the zombie apocalypse. When Z Nation has zombie bears and camels and stuff it's fine because they're not trying to be taken super seriously, whereas the Walking Dead has always tried very hard to be.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I read the cast episode list so I'll spoiler this:

of course next week is going to be the daryl episode gotta see what he's up to now

Question for comic readers, when was this whole plot introduced? Was it before or after the series started? Because I wonder how much the first few seasons of the show influenced the comic.

Supposedly they reversed the episode order of #2 and 3 after the response to the first episode/season premiere.

This episode was kinda cheesy with the ren fair music n the background, I half expected all the townspeople in the Kingdom to talk in fake english accents, but like others here have already said i liked Ezekiel's reveal toward the end. Also echoing the "how the gently caress do you feed a tiger?" questions. It seems like they are lining up Negan et al to be the evil guys, Ezekiel et al as the good people and Rick et al as the neutral people who can do what the good people can't (i.e. kill people really well). Kind of an oversimplification but at least an interesting story arc for season 7.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Well yeah but you can't jump to that excuse for every stupid rear end thing. It is very silly and ridiculous, even for a show about the zombie apocalypse. When Z Nation has zombie bears and camels and stuff it's fine because they're not trying to be taken super seriously, whereas the Walking Dead has always tried very hard to be.

Yeah but it's only tried to be super serious in a few aspects, like the brutality and whatnot. It always comes back to gasoline still being perfectly usable. I'll suspend my disbelief for tiger sustenance because it's a goddamn CGI tiger and this show needs something new and actually entertaining and interesting, right?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
This is easy, you feed the tiger one pig every so often since pigs grow on trees

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!
I'm curious, please spoiler me:

In the comics, do the Saviors actually get sick/zombified from eating pigs fattened on zombie flesh ??

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hammerstein posted:

I'm curious, please spoiler me:

In the comics, do the Saviors actually get sick/zombified from eating pigs fattened on zombie flesh ??
Comic spoilers from what I remember:
I don't think so? However, the Saviors try to poison some of their ammo/arrows/bolts with zombie blood/gunk and I also can't remember if that works or not.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Also, what city was that in the background?

I'm guessing either Richmond or Philadelphia.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hated the last two episodes, but this one was good and entertaining.

Seeing how different communities get by is way more entertaining that taking 2 hours to kill a guy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JazzFlight posted:

Comic spoilers from what I remember:
I don't think so? However, the Saviors try to poison some of their ammo/arrows/bolts with zombie blood/gunk and I also can't remember if that works or not.

it does, it's how Aaron's boyfriend buys it. The Kingdom doesn't show up till much later in the comics and we never see how they deal with Saviors

There's enough material to last this half season at least before we get to the part of the comics where the show had started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

moist turtleneck posted:

This is easy, you feed the tiger one pig every so often since pigs grow on trees

"Yes Carol I'm glad you got to see my pig orchard before you left, these organic pigs are delicious, you really should try one"

I will say though that it seems reasonable that animals are still alive, humans are good at hunting because they are cunning and use tools and I can't in my mind imagine any scenario in which a zombie could actually catch and kill and animal.